PDA

View Full Version : Moab fun run!!

crager34
03/06/2009, 05:17 PM
If anyone is interested in this:

I just went into Davis Canyon which is South of Moab about an hour. No 4 wheeling as the TOD will handle this. The canyon is about a 6 mile run and about 4 of those miles are through a very wide open wash. It was great to go through this at 40mph. It ends at the Park Boundary and the rest of the canyon can be hiked in just over 2 miles. I figure this could be a 1/2 day or more trip, maybe combine it with a trip to a Colorado River overlook (not over Elephant Hill). Walk up the canyon with some golf clubs and balls and practice our sand trap game (my brother and I did this today). Think about it for your trip out here. :)

pbkid
03/06/2009, 05:21 PM
that sounds like fun to me...

im thinking about coming out 2 days in advance and leaving 2 days later, so if the group doesnt do this then i might talk to you about us doing it...

JoFotoz
03/06/2009, 07:10 PM
Thats my plan too...a little early , a little late.

that sounds like fun to me...

im thinking about coming out 2 days in advance and leaving 2 days later, so if the group doesnt do this then i might talk to you about us doing it...

...so , maybe we do it then.

jo

tomdietrying
03/06/2009, 07:24 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun. Let's put in down on the agenda.
Peace.
Tom

pbkid
03/06/2009, 10:23 PM
its not fully planned yet, but im thinking the 9th through the 17th-ish....
also depending on whether or not other people wanna wheel, im definately not going on trails by myself ;)

BigSwede
03/09/2009, 07:22 AM
I would love to do some exploring and hiking...last year I hiked up Negro Bill Canyon, which was fun.

I will arrive Sunday, if anybody wants to head out on Monday I'm up for it...

pbkid
03/09/2009, 12:46 PM
im down bigswede!

ill be there probably sunday also (need a day to pack after finals)...and head out the following sunday possibly...

BigSwede
03/17/2009, 01:30 PM
Here are some nice half-day hikes. I did Negro Bill Canyon last year, it was very nice. Pets are allowed, too.

http://www.discovermoab.com/hiking.htm

Triathlete
03/17/2009, 01:39 PM
I will be Mt Biking some trails on Monday also if anyone is interested. There are several shops in town that rent bikes (I am renting from Poison Spider bike shop for $40 a day).:cool:

pbkid
03/17/2009, 03:41 PM
Here are some nice half-day hikes. I did Negro Bill Canyon last year, it was very nice. Pets are allowed, too.

http://www.discovermoab.com/hiking.htm

we should make some definate plans.. im still trying to decide whether or not to bring my dog...i would love to have him for the company in the afternoons after wheeling and would love to do some hiking with him too! i may even have a place for him to hang during the day (he doesnt like being in the VX while wheeling, he has a tendency to scratch up the leather)...

i was initially planning on leaving him home because i figured we would be wheeling 90% of the time we are there...but if we are gonna do some hiking either before or after i may bring him..

tomdietrying
03/17/2009, 08:27 PM
PBKid,
What's up? I might think twice about taking a dog hiking during the middle of the day in Moab. I made that mistake with Champ, and he was not happy. The ground was too hot for his paws, and I ended up carrying a lot of the way. It was nice having him around though.
Peace.
Tom

pbkid
03/17/2009, 10:32 PM
hmmm, very valid point my friend...

bentley already HATES the heat, i was thinking of a hike like colorado style 60-70 degrees, i wasnt thinking along the lines of moab sun lol...

ya i think it will be best to leave him here in colorado at the parents house so i can focus on wheeling and he can be safe and comfortable..

BigSwede
03/18/2009, 10:48 AM
Depends where we go...Negro Bill Canyon is shaded and has a perennial stream running through it, so it wasn't a problem (not to mention it was pretty cool weather last year). Some of the other trails can get much hotter I am sure.

Nice thing about Portal is the ponds for the dogs to jump in after the trails.

Although I have been considering leaving Cinder at home this year, too. I do worry about a black dog in the desert...

pbkid
04/26/2009, 11:10 AM
darrin-
did you figure out a date for something like this??

don moore
04/26/2009, 05:01 PM
take pics guys .....Some like me that cant go will need them.. so we dont feel so left out...:(

Marlin
04/26/2009, 05:23 PM
its not fully planned yet, but im thinking the 9th through the 17th-ish....
also depending on whether or not other people wanna wheel, im definately not going on trails by myself ;)

I am in, I would like to do some challenging trails, Uwharrie got me psyched!!!!

crager34
04/27/2009, 07:46 AM
darrin-
did you figure out a date for something like this??

Not sure if you are talking about the fun run or a hike with Pets. I can offer some suggestions for hiking with pets for sure.... close to town.... not to difficult.... etc.

As far as a fun run (pets can go too) maybe the 15th (Friday). After a good week of wheeling, maybe just head out to Davis Canyon (no low 4 wheel drive needed) for some fast sand runs... some sand trap golf... some hiking... lunch... This will take us past Newspaper Rock too.

BigSwede
04/27/2009, 12:22 PM
I'm gonna do some hiking on the 11th (Monday), or possibly Tuesday depending on who is around (I know you guys will be on the VX run Tuesday). Maybe fit in a half day hike later in the week too, who knows...it's vacation man.

kodiak
04/27/2009, 02:15 PM
Hay Steve! I’ll trade you my Montero RS for your RS.;)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC04072.jpg

BigSwede
04/27/2009, 03:13 PM
Heh, apparently "RS" for Mitsu doesn't mean "Really Short" like it did for Isuzu...

Whats with the crayon-scribble graphics on the door? :bwgr:

kodiak
04/27/2009, 03:54 PM
Whats with the crayon-scribble graphics on the door? :bwgr:

Yep, the early 90s was a crazy time for scribble graphics.:rolleyes:

pbkid
04/27/2009, 05:55 PM
ok finally got some solid plans...sorry bigswede but im not going to be able to join you on monday...i have to work sunday :(

however, that DOES mean i will be in the zuzoo convoy!!! :dance:

cant wait to see the fam!

BigSwede
05/08/2009, 06:23 AM
I was looking over some of the trails, and I am thinking of doing the Fischer Towers hike on Monday. Anybody want to tag along, let me know (I'm tenting at Portal).

pbkid
05/08/2009, 07:35 PM
im also looking for a half day thing on friday...maybe a trail that will end around 2 or 3?? i need to be leaving moab by 5 at the latest...

can anyone think of something?? maybe fins and things?? i remember that trail having a few places to break off, so i could head out early...