PDA

View Full Version : CD is toast....need to get cubby box

VX KAT
03/03/2009, 08:12 PM
Well my OEM CD player has now officially joined the ranks of the dead...the dreaded ERR3 code. Only thing lucky about it was I never was able to get a disc in it, so none lost. As I was playing with it, the 1-6 lights would sequentially light and now it does that AND beeps a few times after I start the car....so it's GOT to go!

BUT, I bought a nice Eclipse HU with a CD player so I don't even care! I want to yank the dead player and get the "Cubby Box" I've seen referenced in some past threads....yes I ALWAYS do a diligent search before I post a question. :p.

Just want to confirm what that cubby box looks like.
On Isuzuparts.com, I think it's part #7 under "Instrument panel , Instrument panel components ,Storage box".

I found a pic in NocturnalVX's gallery of a cubby box....anybody know if that's the "OEM" one or a custom?
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/ipod_pics_010.jpg

Cyronman said he bought one in a 1/17/07 post. Does it look like pic above?

I want to put my iPod & connection there, like nocturnal did.

It's too late to reach Merlin tonight. Anybody know?:thanx:

Ldub
03/03/2009, 08:22 PM
Can't answer your question exactly KAT, but I will say that the one I got at Best Buy fit with some modifications. (Generic single DIN)
I had to drill holes in the stock metal CD player mounting brackets to get the angle right.
Also, the cubby from a Rodeo, or Honda Passport (both same dash as VX) should work, if you can find one in a salvage yard.

etlsport
03/03/2009, 08:28 PM
as ldub said, ive pulled like 3-4 from rodeos with a dashboard that matches ours (95.5-97 i think) they already have mounting brackets molded onto them, id try a salvage yard.. i think i paid 5 bucks a pop for them

pbkid
03/03/2009, 09:16 PM
i bet you could even find a spare online from a junkyard parts website...anyone know of any off hand??

and i believe it would be about 10 at merlin's place, so i would guess they are closed.

and yes, a generic single din pocket should fit in that slot with minimal modification

Riff Raff
03/04/2009, 07:33 AM
VX KAT--- Have you ever considered putting a Ford Taurus "Coin-Holder/Drink-Holder" in the same spot where the 6-Disc changer used to be??? Many VX'ers here have done this mod. MARLIN just did this mod to his VX and said it fits purrrrrrrr-fectly (sorry, just had to "KAT").

nocturnalVX
03/04/2009, 09:22 AM
I found a pic in NocturnalVX's gallery of a cubby box....anybody know if that's the "OEM" one or a custom?
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/ipod_pics_010.jpg

Cyronman said he bought one in a 1/17/07 post. Does it look like pic above?

I want to put my iPod & connection there, like nocturnal did.

It's too late to reach Merlin tonight. Anybody know?:thanx:

Yes, it is a genuine Isuzu part that I got that from Merlin. I'm sure he can hook you up as well.

nfpgasmask
03/04/2009, 09:31 AM
KAT,

This will work and it's dirt cheap:

http://www.thebettersource.com/productdetails.php?product_id=1585

This is what I used.

Bart

nocturnalVX
03/04/2009, 09:54 AM
I just got off the phone with Merlin, and it looks like you should go with Bart's recomendation. The ISUZU part (which was for the '95.5 - '97 Rodeo) has been discontinued. Unless you luck out and find one at a bone yard, the multi fit pocket will be the way to go. Plus, it is almost $2 cheaper.

VX KAT
03/04/2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks so much guys! Wow, you're all great!
Bart, did you have to modify yours at all to get it to fit right? Remember, I'm not handy, thus the "I'm with stupid logo":yesp:
I found one at Allhundaiisuzu in Rancho Cordova..$20 + $15 shipping! OUCH!
:thanx::thanx::thanx::thanx::thanx:

nfpgasmask
03/04/2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks so much guys! Wow, you're all great!
Bart, did you have to modify yours at all to get it to fit right? Remember, I'm not handy, thus the "I'm with stupid logo":yesp:

Not that I remember. It comes with little adjustable brackets so you have line those up. I think it fit rather nicely. It was like 3 years ago when I put mine in though, so....

Yeah, The Better Source is in Chicago, I lived there at the time and just went to their shop and bought it. I think it was like $7 then!!! Damn inflation!

;) Bart

pbkid
03/04/2009, 12:58 PM
go to any electronics store that sells car audio stuff (best buy for example) and buy a 'generic single din pocket'...thats all that is...then you save the shipping money...

nfpgasmask
03/04/2009, 01:25 PM
go to any electronics store that sells car audio stuff (best buy for example) and buy a 'generic single din pocket'...thats all that is...then you save the shipping money...

Yup, you're probably right. This is just a standard DIN cubby, should be easy to find. Like I said, this place was right down the street for me at the time, so...

Bart

twistedsymphony
04/06/2009, 08:14 AM
KAT,

This will work and it's dirt cheap:

http://www.thebettersource.com/productdetails.php?product_id=1585

This is what I used.

Bart

I used this same pocket on mine... the mounting holes didn't exactly match up with the brackets, but I was able to get in 1 screw on each side and it fits SNUG in place. also it sits further back so I used the really thick included face plate... the pock's face plate actually sits BEHIND the dash trim and fills the gap... but it looks OEM once it's done and feels solid so I'm happy.

I picked mine up for $2 at Circuit City during their going out of business sale. I bought a bunch of car stereo parts because they were all dirt cheap and I figured "I'll probably use this eventually"... little did I know I would be swapping out the VX's stereo 2 weeks later :cool:

Solitude
04/06/2009, 10:14 AM
I bought the single din cup holder coin tray for 30.00 on fleabay, gonna pull my cubby soon and install.. dont throw away your cd mounts

circmand
04/06/2009, 11:25 AM
All thumbs and tone deaf. What is the simplest CD swap out replacement for an ERR 3 replacement on the CD? I do not need to be heard 3 blocks a way and I do not need to be able to set up a 3 week play list. A one disc CD would be okay if it was pull out and replace. Also any directions would be great.

pbkid
04/06/2009, 12:48 PM
any single din sized radio will fit in your factory slot...

instructions-
as far as taking apart the dash-
1. take off the little piece around the changer/cigarette lighter (it just unclips with a good pull)
2. take out 7 screws to remove dash; one above the stock head unit, two above the steering wheel, four along the joint of the dash and the knee bolster (place below dash)
3. pull dash out, but be careful not to break it trying to get it past the wheel (that is the hardest part on the VX
4. unplug all the plugs so that you can completely remove the factory dash
5. before you do any of this pre-wire the harness. its really easy to do, strip all the wires on both the radio and the aftermarket harness...then either solder or use 'butt' connectors to attach them to each other. (you may be able to pay the best buy guy like $20 to pre-wire it up for you really quick if you dont have all the tools to do it) but if you can get a hold of all the tools its just a straight match, color to color. you will need strippers, butt connectors, and crimpers to do the wiring
6. next plug in the harness to the factory harness and plug the other end into the radio...mount the new radio (you should be able to remove the factory brackets off the factory radio and put the brackets right onto the radio making for easy mounting) and make sure everything is plugged back in when you screw the dash back in...
7. there's a basic breakdown of the install for ya...

bam! done! ;)

twistedsymphony
04/08/2009, 05:27 AM
^yup that pretty much sums it up

some other pieces of advice:

a soldered connection is way better than a but connector connection...

The best way to solder

go to radio shack and pick up the following:
-$8 pencil style 15Watt soldering iron (more wattage isn't always better, first timers are better off with lower wattage anyway)
-a spring holster with a sponge (optional)
-a set of "helping hands" (optional)
-some Silver Bearing Solder
-heat shrink tubing that looks like it's big enough to easily slip over you wires.. but not TOO big. you'll need a heat gun (or a hair dryer) to shrink the heat shrink tubing too, if you don't have that, then electrical tape will work fine so pick up that instead.

-cut and and slip on the tubing to all the wires you need
-point the wires at each other and overlap the bare metal and twist them together (like two people shaking hands)
-use the helping hands to hold them in place while you solder... use the iron to heat up the metal and then melt the solder into the metal, use the sponge to clean off the iron if it gets solder on it
-once you've completed all of the joins slide the heat shirink tube up over them all and use your heat gun or hair dryer to shrink each tube one by one, don't over do it through or they'll start to melt right off the wire.

----------------------------
another thing I've noticed is that the ground wire on the factory stereo harness isn't active. so the stereo needs to actually be mounted in place (with the metal chassis of the stereo grounding to the metal chass of the car) before it will get adequate power.

it doesn't matter what head unit you buy you wont have some booming stereo by just replacing the CD player... those people typically use large external Amplifiers and subwoofer enclosures to produce that level of noise.

honestly if you're just looking for a quality CD player I'd highly recommend Alpine, they're easy to use they sound phenomenal and they're filled with every feature you'd likely want in a CD player.

think about what you want to do with it... CDs? Satellite Radio? iPod hook up? HD Radio? MP3 CDs or External USB media? Bluetooth phone integration? do you want to add subwoofers down the road? if it's a screen unit do you want DVD and navigation?

Also think about what you like on the interface... do you prefer a knob for volume or up and down buttons? do like to read the names of your iPod tracks through the CD player, make sure it's got a screen that will show you the info you want to see... etc.

once you've got the features you're looking for start looking for head units that meet your critera and keep a list of the makes and models... then start looking at which ones have those features BUILT IN and which ones require additional hardware and how much that hardware costs... for instance most CD players require additional hardware to use an iPod... the adapters can range from $20 to $200 on top of the cost of the unit, other CD players have the port built right in and you can use a generic usb ipod cable with them.