PDA

View Full Version : Carmax Visit

Jonnie
07/20/2003, 10:46 AM
I stopped by the CarMax here in Tampa a short while ago and spoke with Jose, a Vin Diesel look a-like.

He really was not that imformative.

I asked him to check inventories on VX's and the last search was that vehicle, weird. The search he used was the same as the one on the website, I thought they had a more detailed inventory system on site?

Jonathan:confused:

2K1 1K2
07/20/2003, 11:18 AM
yeah, carmax seems to use the same site one can look up at home.
try this fine forum, auto trader and ebay. these areas should help in your vx search endeavor.
good luck!

technocoy
07/21/2003, 07:56 PM
there is a grey 2001 with 21000 miles on it for 18999. had some stains on the seats and a few dings on the panels but hey, if you want one... there you go... camax, greensboro, NC i drove it today.:(

SCUDD
07/22/2003, 03:22 AM
I've got a 2001 Silver w/mods in the for sale section if your interested.
Rodney

Jonnie
07/24/2003, 09:45 AM
I'm probably not going to be buying till end of Aug, or Sept. I have just been trying to get a feel for the market, etc. My target will be a 99 with 30-55 miles, color not such an issue.

My biggest issues are poor trade-in value on my current car, down payment funds, a bankruptcy related to the poor tech market 2 years ago.

Jonthan

VX1
07/24/2003, 03:47 PM
After yet another bad dealer experience here in Tampa (Century on Dale Mabry), I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am comptemplating selling my 2000 Ironman. My other car is an Acura CL S-Type, and pretty much the last 10 years all I've ever had were Hondas/Acuras, so I guess I'm pretty spoiled by being treated very well by dealers. My wife and I work like in the same building, so we're thinking of having only one car (and with a one car garage, it'd be nice to put the Acura in there).

I'm certainly in no hurry, and it may not even happen, because I realize I'm just reacting on anger, but I'm thinking of driving it by Carmax this weekend, just to see what number they throw on the table. I'm not getting rid of it unless they just shock me with an offer I can't refuse, but just curious where I stand.

Jonnie
07/24/2003, 03:57 PM
What was your bad experience at Century? I really am not familar with them (yep, know where they are). My current car is a Acura Integra, great overall car, but had it 10 years almost.

So, turn in the VX to CarMax and then I get to buy it!;)

Jonathan

VX1
07/24/2003, 05:56 PM
I recently noticed a few drops of oil on the garage floor, so I took it back to Century. Maybe I just dealt with a bad one, but he was a jerk. They couldn't find a leak, so the guy tells me they're just going to leave it running for a couple of hours. I asked him if that's very good for the engine, and he got all crazy defensive, stomping around talking to himself. I had taken off a cross-member when I was investigating where the oil could be coming from, and left it off as a favor to them. He said that because that was off, he's not going to touch my car.

It hasn't leaked since, but I'm taking it over to Bert Smith (St. Pete) this weekend just to be sure. Maybe it's because Century's main bread and butter are Kias, but every time I go in there, it's a fiasco.

Actually the reason I was going to Carmax was, once I had an '92 Integra GS-R, and when it was time to sell it, Carmax gave me twice what other dealers where willing to.

A friend of mine here in Tampa had a 2001 Ironman that he recently sold to them for $16.5K, which they listed at $18,999. It didn't stay on the lot long.