PDA

View Full Version : DONE!! '02 AXIOM engine switch works!!

iamironman
03/03/2009, 05:47 PM
(I hope it's ok with everyone to start a new thread for the completion)

ALL done and it runs GREAT!!

Spent two days trying to get the AXIOM intake to work with the VX ECM but alas, kept throwing so many codes had to splice into wires... was a nightmare... no go... Spent several hours trying to get the Axiom ECM to work with the the whole VX, but different connectors and the TOD wouldn't work either so absolutely no go... so I guess I'm getting the 215 HP as the Axiom had 230 HP but I think, if I've researched right, it's because of the intake that it had 230. The VX intake bolted right up to the Axiom engine... no difference there. It runs awesome... seems way faster off the line... All in all... problem solved, dispute (if any) solved, hopefully oil consumption problem solved. I'll be keeping my eye on the oil... and let y'all know if there's any problems... if anyone blows a VX engine... go get a used '02 Axiom engine to replace it!! they can be had from about $1200 up to $2500... I got lucky and paid $500 for mine... but after all incidentals, fluids, gaskets, yada,yada, cost me $1100. R&R of engine(s): $1600 (paid for the extra time to work with the ECM's seperately so that doesn't count for the R&R)

iamironman
03/03/2009, 05:50 PM
One other thing... I buried the needle this evening... and after I hit 100mph, the TOD showed all lights on... like I was doing 4 wheel drive at WELL over 100 MPH...

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

nfpgasmask
03/03/2009, 05:52 PM
Sounds awesome, but wait, everything is running, but you are saying the ECM and TOD don't work at all now or did you figure it out?

Very cool news. Can you post pics of what it looks like under your hood now?

Bart

iamironman
03/03/2009, 06:00 PM
Sounds awesome, but wait, everything is running, but you are saying the ECM and TOD don't work at all now or did you figure it out?

Very cool news. Can you post pics of what it looks like under your hood now?

Bart

No, the VX ECM would not work with the AXIOM intake, multitude of problems... it works fine with the VX intake... and TOD would not work with the AXIOM ECM, but hardly anything else would work either, it would start up with the AXIOM ECM but as soon as you hit the throttle it would choke sputter and stall then you couldn't restart it unless you disconnected the battery and reset the ECM.

I'll post pics soon.

jdm monkey
03/03/2009, 06:01 PM
Thats awesome! got pics/vids?

Gussie2000
03/03/2009, 06:11 PM
(I hope it's ok with everyone to start a new thread for the completion)

ALL done and it runs GREAT!!

Spent two days trying to get the AXIOM intake to work with the VX ECM but alas, kept throwing so many codes had to splice into wires... was a nightmare... no go... Spent several hours trying to get the Axiom ECM to work with the the whole VX, but different connectors and the TOD wouldn't work either so absolutely no go... so I guess I'm getting the 215 HP as the Axiom had 230 HP but I think, if I've researched right, it's because of the intake that it had 230. The VX intake bolted right up to the Axiom engine... no difference there. It runs awesome... seems way faster off the line... All in all... problem solved, dispute (if any) solved, hopefully oil consumption problem solved. I'll be keeping my eye on the oil... and let y'all know if there's any problems... if anyone blows a VX engine... go get a used '02 Axiom engine to replace it!! they can be had from about $1200 up to $2500... I got lucky and paid $500 for mine... but after all incidentals, fluids, gaskets, yada,yada, cost me $1100. R&R of engine(s): $1600 (paid for the extra time to work with the ECM's seperately so that doesn't count for the R&R)

Oh man that's good,good news,as i always thought the axiom engine can work,of course the ECU & the axiom TOD is unmatcheable but the engine it self is 100% compatible.

Congrats on the good job :)

ZEUS
03/03/2009, 06:26 PM
Interesting! So you have an Axiom motor with a VX intake and ECM, correct? Would love to hear about some mileage readings when you get time!

deermagnet
03/03/2009, 06:41 PM
Very Nice!!! You got a rock solid engine at an UNBEATABLE price.

Mark

kodiak
03/03/2009, 06:58 PM
Nicely done! Yeah, the Axiom ECU is very different. Doesn’t the Axiom have an electronic throttle that the ECU controls? That’s probably why you were having trouble with the Axiom intake.

Again, Very cool! :thumbup:

pbkid
03/03/2009, 07:46 PM
One other thing... I buried the needle this evening... and after I hit 100mph, the TOD showed all lights on... like I was doing 4 wheel drive at WELL over 100 MPH...

shouldnt you break it in before you bury the needle?? ;)

great news though!!!

Ldub
03/03/2009, 08:07 PM
GOOD ON YOU, IAMIRONMAN!...:yes:

Congrats on being the first!...:thumbup:...:dance:...:thumbup:

Do tell...with the Ax being DI, is it no longer direct injected, because you used the stock intake? Since the injectors are an integral part of the stock intake?
Inquiring minds wanna know...:_wrench:

iamironman
03/03/2009, 08:48 PM
Interesting! So you have an Axiom motor with a VX intake and ECM, correct? Would love to hear about some mileage readings when you get time!

Will post them as soon as available!

Nicely done! Yeah, the Axiom ECU is very different. Doesn’t the Axiom have an electronic throttle that the ECU controls? That’s probably why you were having trouble with the Axiom intake.

Again, Very cool! :thumbup:

That was probably most of the trouble.

shouldnt you break it in before you bury the needle?? ;)

great news though!!!

It's a used engine...from a wrecked Axiom with 55k or maybe a little more... don't remember exactly, But I believe it's broke in already, lol.

Oh man that's good,good news,as i always thought the axiom engine can work,of course the ECU & the axiom TOD is unmatcheable but the engine it self is 100% compatible.

Congrats on the good job :)

Thanks Gussie... keep the faith!!

GOOD ON YOU, IAMIRONMAN!...:yes:

Congrats on being the first!...:thumbup:...:dance:...:thumbup:

Do tell...with the Ax being DI, is it no longer direct injected, because you used the stock intake? Since the injectors are an integral part of the stock intake?
Inquiring minds wanna know...:_wrench:

Thanks LDub.
Yes, it is no longer direct injected...
Ok... Bottom line... it's the whole topside of the VX engine on the Axiom block and heads... intake, TB, just about everything from the heads up to the underside of the hood... I even had to use the valve covers from the VX engine, as the Axiom valve covers were shaped just slightly different and stuff wouldn't fit with the Axiom valve covers on.

Ldub
03/03/2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks LDub.
Ok... Bottom line... it's the whole topside of the VX engine on the Axiom block and heads... intake, TB, just about everything from the heads up to the underside of the hood... I even had to use the valve covers from the VX engine, as the Axiom valve covers were shaped just slightly different and stuff wouldn't fit with the Axiom valve covers on.

OK, was a bit curious...that'll certainly have an effect on HP & mileage...but still, this should be a sweet setup!

What you gonna do with the old ticker?

iamironman
03/03/2009, 09:13 PM
OK, was a bit curious...that'll certainly have an effect on HP & mileage...but still, this should be a sweet setup!

What you gonna do with the old ticker?

With as bad as the oil consumption was, and it was BAAAD, I was putting a quart in almost every week... I'm not doing anything with it... scrap it!! Unless you can think of something to do with it?... LOL :eek:

iamironman
03/03/2009, 09:20 PM
excuse the OT for a sec...

A stock tip for anyone interested... Symbol TNRI... it's getting ready to run... I have 2.5 million shares of it... expected to hit .01 within a month... yes thats one penny... if it hits that... I'll have a cool $25,000.... it's @ .0002 right now... that's 2/1000th's of a penny... it's a gold mining company... Do your due diligence and research and buy some... a spare $200 (for a million shares) of mad money could net you $10,000

Ldub
03/03/2009, 09:39 PM
With as bad as the oil consumption was, and it was BAAAD, I was putting a quart in almost every week... I'm not doing anything with it... scrap it!! Unless you can think of something to do with it?... LOL :eek:

Well Yeah...I've always wanted an aluminium engine block, as the base for a coffee table...no, I'm serious.:yes:

I have a pic somewhere of one, & the owner stored bottles of fine wine in the cylinder bores...:thumbup:

pbkid
03/03/2009, 09:40 PM
Well Yeah...I've always wanted an aluminium engine block, as the base for a coffee table...no, I'm serious.:yes:

I have a pic somewhere of one, & the owner stored bottles of fine wine in the cylinder bores...:thumbup:

wow, thats horrible...what a waste of a motor lol....

Ldub
03/03/2009, 11:09 PM

Sorry for the TJ Iron, but you know how it goes...:rolleyes:

Young master Jack, I beg to differ...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/PictureVX_KODAK_MOMENTS_676.jpg

nocturnalVX
03/03/2009, 11:41 PM

Now THAT is the proper way to get familiar with your ride... gun it, run it, and let it know what is to be expected!

I have to agree. See, "fine" wine is still wine. Now, if it was storing chilled Jager...

pbkid
03/04/2009, 12:05 AM
Now THAT is the proper way to get familiar with your ride... gun it, run it, and let it know what is to be expected!

I have to agree. See, "fine" wine is still wine. Now, if it was storing chilled Jager...

ya...there's an invention for someone who wants to make some dough...

a jager machine that looks like a motor..

and actually, seeing a picture of it, it is pretty cool used as a table dub...

Viatcheslav
03/04/2009, 04:17 AM
Good, but i think about 04 axiom engine and Aisin transmission! What do you think about it? It has 250 hp, and strong japanese transmission!
How much it will be cost in US?

CoastieCosta567
03/04/2009, 05:46 AM
what company is this? i would love to invest and see if it works. can you send me the right direction on this and let me know how i can invest on this?

[/B]
excuse the OT for a sec...

A stock tip for anyone interested... Symbol TNRI... it's getting ready to run... I have 2.5 million shares of it... expected to hit .01 within a month... yes thats one penny... if it hits that... I'll have a cool $25,000.... it's @ .0002 right now... that's 2/1000th's of a penny... it's a gold mining company... Do your due diligence and research and buy some... a spare $200 (for a million shares) of mad money could net you $10,000

iamironman
03/04/2009, 06:07 AM
what company is this? i would love to invest and see if it works. can you send me the right direction on this and let me know how i can invest on this?

[/b]

research it, read EVERYTHING you can get your hands on a stock before investing/trading. Make your OWN decisions... Stocks are a risk, I am not a financial advisor... I am tipping this stoclk ONLY because I am invested in it, but that doesn't mean it is going up for sure. It's just my opinion.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=TNRI.PK

here's latest news

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Titan-Resources-Releases-iw-14307853.html

here's their website

http://www.titan-resource.com/titan/home.asp

Here's a couple of forums to join to see what other's have to say (well, you don't have to join, if you want to lurk you can just read what's being said and decide for yourself):

http://www.hotstockmarket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48640

http://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/read_msg.aspx?message_id=36031711

I DO recommend Scottrade for online broker... I think it's the best, cheapest and more bang for your buck... free to start an account, deposit money, and $7 a trade, although for these penny stock, they're what is called a "Pink", there is a small extra fee to buy these types of stocks... for a million shares of this it's $8. Email me if you have any other Q's.

JHarris1385
03/04/2009, 06:18 AM
First correct me if I am wrong but isnt an 2002 Axiom not direct injection to begin with? I thought it was just 2004 Axiom and Rodeo. Or at least those are the only Axiom's I have ever considered buying becuase of this.

Two:
Penny stocks are risky. But I am looking into this one.

iamironman
03/04/2009, 06:25 AM
First correct me if I am wrong but isnt an 2002 Axiom not direct injection to begin with? I thought it was just 2004 Axiom and Rodeo. Or at least those are the only Axiom's I have ever considered buying becuase of this.

Two:
Penny stocks are risky. But I am looking into this one. What is your insight on it?

Right, it's not direct injection, but, it's a different intake and injection from a stock VX... hence the 230HP with the same block/heads (although the heads are slightly diff/redesigned/improved).

As far as the stock tip, please see my previous post, and email me with any Q's.

WormGod
03/04/2009, 08:22 AM

Aye, tis the rub! That right there would have been the nail in the coffin were it my project, heh. Seems like any and all advantages (aside from cheaper price) would be flushed. Good job though. Glad to see someone finally came through with a swap of ANY kind. :cool:

nfpgasmask
03/04/2009, 09:40 AM

Yeah, my oil consumption is really pretty awful. I probably use damn near 5 quarts in between oil changes. :wtfy: So definitely keep me posted on how the new setup works with oil drinking.

Young master Jack, I beg to differ...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/PictureVX_KODAK_MOMENTS_676.jpg

Agreed, THAT is badddddaasssssss looking. Me personally, I would have the whole thing coated in Instant Rust to give it that rustic look or maybe have it dipped in liquid black plastic coating. Really cool either way. I love the use of found objects and recycled objects for making new, functional, artistic pieces.

Bart

kodiak
03/04/2009, 05:30 PM
I’m still very impressed.:cool:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/picardsurprisedfixed.jpg

tomdietrying
03/04/2009, 05:45 PM
Maybe you said this before, and I just missed it. Are you getting the 230 horses out of the engine or only 215?
Peace.
Tom

iamironman
03/04/2009, 07:23 PM
Maybe you said this before, and I just missed it. Are you getting the 230 horses out of the engine or only 215?
Peace.
Tom

I'd say I'm getting only 215HP, because I am using the Axiom long block and the VX intake, injectors etc... and ECM... The reason the '02 Axiom had 230HP was the advanced/redesigned intake, injectors and a advanced/better calibrated ECM.
Now it may be wishful thinking but, I think it Feels more powerful, it surges better, takes off better/faster... it just feels different... like, "VX with better engine here, don't ef with me"... It just seems to have even more attitude... as if a VX needed more attitude... LOL!

2002-2004 Isuzu Axiom
Powertrain Options and Availability
In 2002-03, Isuzu's 3.5-liter, dual-overhead-cam V-6 engine made 230 horsepower and teamed with a four-speed automatic transmission. For 2004, Isuzu introduced a direct-injection gasoline engine rated at 250 horsepower. Axioms may have rear-drive or four-wheel drive.

iamironman
03/04/2009, 07:26 PM
I’m still very impressed.:cool:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/picardsurprisedfixed.jpg

How'd you know I think Picard is the best Star Trek Captain!! Kirk is still great, Picard is just................ *Better*

vt_maverick
03/04/2009, 07:45 PM
Whatever, you can't mess with the original intergalactic ladies man. :cool:

http://elinema.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/captain-james-t-kirk-awesome1.jpg

iamironman
03/04/2009, 08:01 PM
Whatever, you can't mess with the original intergalactic ladies man. :cool:

http://elinema.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/captain-james-t-kirk-awesome1.jpg

Ewwww... he kissed green women with too much mascara.... :eek:

kodiak
03/04/2009, 10:29 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/SiskoAnimated.gif:p

Jolly Roger VX'er
03/04/2009, 10:34 PM

Two:
Penny stocks are risky. But I am looking into this one.

Nice job on the swap...gives us another option besides Trooper's! If the '02 Axiom you got the donor from has "drive by wire" throttle control...I'm guessing that's probably the killer on why the ECM didn't work.

Yes, only the '04 Axiom has D.I. Didn't know about the Rodeo though.

JHarris1385
03/05/2009, 06:01 AM
There we go I knew only the 2004 had it. Yes the 2004 Rodeo has the same set up. Before my wife bought her Explorer I was trying to locate one of these and tempt her into getting it.

The 2002 engine did not have the DI to begin with, so you did not lose it if you did not have it anyways.

justatwinturbo
03/05/2009, 11:06 AM
what is all this oil consumption business i read about, and when does it usually start happening? mine stays perfectly level between oil changes, you're all making me very nervous haha. good job on the swap. i've seen a similar coffee table made using a ford probe engine...pretty cool for a garage, or shop. wouldnt put it in my living room

pbkid
03/05/2009, 11:53 AM
what is all this oil consumption business i read about, and when does it usually start happening? mine stays perfectly level between oil changes, you're all making me very nervous haha. good job on the swap. i've seen a similar coffee table made using a ford probe engine...pretty cool for a garage, or shop. wouldnt put it in my living room

you just need to keep an eye on it...if your oil level drops too much then your motor will blow...

some of the VX's consume oil very badly, and these ones have to watch their oil very closely otherwise they will have a blown motor...

iamironman
03/05/2009, 12:19 PM
There we go I knew only the 2004 had it. Yes the 2004 Rodeo has the same set up. Before my wife bought her Explorer I was trying to locate of of these and tempt her into getting it.

The 2002 engine did not have the DI to begin with, so you did not lose it if you did not have it anyways.

Ok, now, the KEY here though on the '02 Axiom... it HAS to be an Axiom with the 8th digit in the VIN is an 'X'... AND manufactured BEFORE MAY of '02... after May it was a different tranny so it won't match up... it still may have the 8th digit 'X' but after May it was a different transmission... aisin I think... what is the tranny on the VX... I forgot, and too lazy to look it up...
No '03 Axiom will fit the VX, BTW

JHarris1385
03/06/2009, 07:09 AM
There we go. Now thats good info.

The 2004 is alot differ. than our VX set up.

nfpgasmask
03/06/2009, 08:28 AM

I would like to ask you, are you using regular motor oil or synthetic?

My VX has been a voracious oil burner since I bought her with 25k. However, I switched to synthetic right away, and there is a part of me that still wonders if synthetic oil is the reason why VX engines start burning oil, but this is just speculative on my part due to not knowing the stats....

Bart

Jolly Roger VX'er
03/08/2009, 11:26 PM

My VX has been a voracious oil burner since I bought her with 25k. However, I switched to synthetic right away, and there is a part of me that still wonders if synthetic oil is the reason why VX engines start burning oil, but this is just speculative on my part due to not knowing the stats....

Bart

I'd say no...I bought my VX new (only owner) and she's been on synthetic (Mobil 1) since I did the first oil change @ 3,000 miles. Now have 86,400 miles, and everytime its due for oil change...dipstick only shows a deficit of like 1/4th of the total length between full & add (or less).

I refer to that amount as 1/4 quart as I believe you're down 1 quart if you are @ the add line.

justatwinturbo
03/09/2009, 12:04 AM

Bart

since i bought it at 14k, i've only used royal purple...every thing except the rear diff has royal purple in it.

Bantan
06/03/2009, 08:06 AM
Since I don't drive MY VX much th the due date comes before the amount of miles driven on the "Oil change sticker" reminder thingee. I noticed when my VX was Garaged parked I did not need to change or add Oil as much as most recently its been parked outdoors.

Does the Weather elements have something to do with oil burn?

crager34
06/03/2009, 12:53 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Christopher_pike.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/14606)

Capt. Pike.

Bantan
06/10/2009, 07:26 AM
Ok guys I'm doing the 02 Axiom Engine swap. Do I need to purchace anything besides the used engine, maybe a wiring harness or anything else?

iamironman
06/10/2009, 07:58 AM
Ok, now, the KEY here though on the '02 Axiom... it HAS to be an Axiom with the 8th digit in the VIN is an 'X'... AND manufactured BEFORE MAY of '02... after May it was a different tranny so it won't match up... it still may have the 8th digit 'X' but after May it was a different transmission... aisin I think... what is the tranny on the VX... I forgot, and too lazy to look it up...
No '03 Axiom will fit the VX, BTW

I'd say I'm getting only 215HP, because I am using the Axiom long block and the VX intake, injectors etc... and ECM... The reason the '02 Axiom had 230HP was the advanced/redesigned intake, injectors and a advanced/better calibrated ECM.
Now it may be wishful thinking but, I think it Feels more powerful, it surges better, takes off better/faster... it just feels different... like, "VX with better engine here, don't ef with me"... It just seems to have even more attitude... as if a VX needed more attitude... LOL!

2002-2004 Isuzu Axiom
Powertrain Options and Availability
In 2002-03, Isuzu's 3.5-liter, dual-overhead-cam V-6 engine made 230 horsepower and teamed with a four-speed automatic transmission. For 2004, Isuzu introduced a direct-injection gasoline engine rated at 250 horsepower. Axioms may have rear-drive or four-wheel drive.

Ok guys I'm doing the 02 Axiom Engine swap. Do I need to purchace anything besides the used engine, maybe a wiring harness or anything else?

Great!!
Use the Axiom block and heads, the VX wiring harness and intake and injectors and you'll be Golden. Everything else is the same... even maintenance later... Oh, and if you buy the Axiom engine and it has the intake on it... you can take the FPR and the EGR off and use them on the VX intake... they fit and would be newer than what you have on the VX.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Good Luck!!

Bantan
06/10/2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks, brother from another Mother.
I'll keep ya posted.

ZubrAZ
10/11/2009, 12:48 PM
I got a rod knock :( I'm pretty sure i do. going to bring the car to mechanic tomorrow to confirm. I found trooper's engine for $1,700 and labor was quoted as $1,000. plus something else that comes up at such works - i'm looking at $3,000. most likely i will not be able to afford such an expense. even the engine itself... but if i'll come up with money for the engine, isnt it pretty straight-forward procedure? i do realize it is time-consuming, requires special tooling, engine lift, etc, but what are the hardstops i can face while replacing the engine? i shall highly appreciate any inputs. and im very interested in axiom engine in particular. i'm trying to brainstorm the procedure and seeing that beside the engine i shall need numerous gaskets, something tells me i shall be needing new bolts, if im going to deal with the VX intake on the top of axiom engine...

is there anybody insterested in 1999 Ebony with 111k miles on a body? nice 17" rims with yoko geo is the only mod. that is my worst case scenario, and i have a week to make a decision