PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt.......When?

JAMAS
03/02/2009, 06:09 AM
What should dictate when I change my timing belt?

Time or Mileage?

Then my followup question, what is the recommended time/mileage?

I have a '99 with about 52,000 miles.

Thanks!

Ldub
03/02/2009, 06:15 AM
100k miles is the recommended service interval in the owners manual.

Though being ten years old, it couldn't hurt to change it earlier, I'm @ about 70k, & it's on my list of things to do when the weather gets warmer.:_wrench:

JAMAS
03/02/2009, 06:23 AM
Thanks dude.

TheGanzman
03/02/2009, 08:25 AM
IMHO, do it at 100K miles (along w/the water pump), unless your water pump craps out on you sooner - then be prepared to do both at whatever time the WP goes South...

Ldub
03/02/2009, 08:41 AM
IMHO, do it at 100K miles (along w/the water pump), unless your water pump craps out on you sooner - then be prepared to do both at whatever time the WP goes South...

Good call on the water pump, also, a new timing belt tensioner is considered cheap insurance..:_wrench:

VehiGAZ
03/02/2009, 08:58 AM
100k miles = ~10 years for normal use, so use the decade mark as a rule of thumb if you are well below normal mileage (that's the outcome of the debate on the 928 forums - age is as important than mileage, if not more so, for parts).

That said, there are two schools of thought on the water pump... some say replace it while you are there. Others say it's foolish to replace a proven-to-be-perfectly-good part with an one with unknown reliability. More than one person has replaced a water pump when they did their t-belt and had it go bad in the first couple of weeks.

Replacing the tensioner is a very good idea, though, IMHO - it's seen some wear and tear after this much time.

Ldub
03/02/2009, 09:08 AM
[QUOTE=VehiGAZ;150049]That said, there are two schools of thought on the water pump... some say replace it while you are there. Others say it's foolish to replace a proven-to-be-perfectly-good part with an one with unknown reliability. More than one person has replaced a water pump when they did their t-belt and had it go bad in the first couple of weeks. [QUOTE]

Not disagreeing with you, but to clarify a bit...as I remember it, those that had the issue with water pumps, had tried to $ave a few bucks, & bought either cheaply made, or re-mans from auto zone, checkers, or other non OEM sources.

nfpgasmask
03/02/2009, 09:10 AM
100k miles is the recommended service interval in the owners manual.

Though being ten years old, it couldn't hurt to change it earlier, I'm @ about 70k, & it's on my list of things to do when the weather gets warmer.:_wrench:

x2, I'm at 86k and I want to do mine before I hit 100k as well. I'm gonna do the whole sha-bang-bang this spring. Timing belt, water pump, idler pulley, and a few other things. I hope my coolant leak goes away as well.

Bart

VehiGAZ
03/02/2009, 09:33 AM
Not disagreeing with you, but to clarify a bit...as I remember it, those that had the issue with water pumps, had tried to $ave a few bucks, & bought either cheaply made, or re-mans from auto zone, checkers, or other non OEM sources.

Probably all of the above, dub. I'm not speaking only for VX's - I'm speaking for cars in general based on my "anecdotal experience" in forums and talking to people about cars.

Even OEM parts can screw you, because 10 years later when you are doing the t-belt job, the parts available may be "OEM" in spec but they are not necessarily manufactured by the same company that built the original that's in your engine, so you never know...

I'm not advocating one approach over the other - I'm just offering up a counter-point. But I would DEFINITELY advise against replacing your working-perfectly water pump with an aftermarket part... that seems very foolish to me. They may give you a replacement free if it fails three weeks later, but they will not pay the $500 labor bill to replace it!

newthings
03/02/2009, 10:17 AM
I did mine at 72k including idler and tensioner. I used all OEM parts I had collected. My storage being what it is, I lost the new water pump and had to buy another from Merlin. I have since found my water pump, still in the box. If anyone would like it for $50 plus shipping, it is available.
Roy

tomdietrying
03/02/2009, 10:53 AM
Last year I was waiting for the 1000,000 mile mark before changing it out. I didn't make it. It broke on me at 90,000 miles.
Peace.
Tom

PK
03/02/2009, 05:18 PM
Last year I was waiting for the 1000,000 mile mark before changing it out. I didn't make it. It broke on me at 90,000 miles.
Peace.
Tom

Gee Tom, your mileage is really getting up there. :bwgy::bwgr:

But this whole thread raises an important issue.
I have a JDM vehicle with the 6VD1 engine, and the recommended timing belt change is 100,000 KILOMETRES (60,000 miles).
I cross checked with other Isuzu vehicles in Australia with the 6VD1 and 6VE1 engines, and they all say 100,000 Kms.
All other service items are a direct conversion (ie - item for 5000 miles converts to 8000 kms.)

It worries me that the timing belt change period appears to be wrong.

PK