PDA

View Full Version : Death of an old friend

Triathlete
03/01/2009, 07:17 PM
So today I learned (the HARD way) that bikes on roof racks, having a brain fart and garages do not mix well:mad:

My trusty steed of 8+ years died a tragic death today:noy::_crying::crying:
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Triathlete/Broke%20bike/020.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Triathlete/Broke%20bike/014.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Triathlete/Broke%20bike/017.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Triathlete/Broke%20bike/018.jpg

I have used a roof rack for 16 years and have always remembered when my bike was on top...until today!:eek:
Tomorrow I start the search for a new steed...hopefully it will serve me as galantly!

Gussie2000
03/01/2009, 07:23 PM
Sorry for your lost,after so many years it becomes part of your life.

Y33TREKker
03/01/2009, 07:53 PM
If it's any consolation, I'm sure you're probably not the first, and most likely won't be the last, to have something like that happen. Maybe it just means there's a similar replacement that's now become available somewhere out there, is looking for a good new home, and it has your name on it.

Triathlete
03/01/2009, 08:12 PM
I will be paying a visit to TriSports.com tomorrow. They are a sponsor and will hopefully get me a great deal!

mdwyer
03/01/2009, 09:47 PM
Jeeze... what does the garage door look like?!

pbkid
03/01/2009, 10:02 PM
oh, ouch....

ya the VX visibility has gotten to me lately too (i have backed into my room mate's jeep 3 times lately, thank god his bumper is tough otherwise i would have to fix it for him...at least the cladding bounces back into place :) )

VX KAT
03/01/2009, 10:02 PM
Ouch! FUBAR!:(

MSHardeman
03/02/2009, 09:06 AM
Oh, that's just not a pretty site.

Every time I have my bike on top of the VX I drive around repeating the mantra "Bike on top" so I don't forget it's up there. I'm sure there will come a day when I have a blonde moment and forget it's up there.

So sorry for your loss, Billy, but now you get to have fun picking out a new one. I'm sure the technology and aerodynamics have advanced so maybe you'll pick up a couple of minutes on your overall time.

Good luck on the hunt.

nfpgasmask
03/02/2009, 09:12 AM
That sucks, Billy. What about the garage? Much damage there? It's so easy to forget stuff like that...I can't say I haven't done it myself, not with a bike, but with other stuff (like my gas cans :eek:)

Bart

Ldub
03/02/2009, 09:19 AM
BUMMER...:sighwgray

Of all lifes little tragedies, the self inflicted are the biggest suck...:mbrasd:

Pick out a fast one Billy!

kodiak
03/02/2009, 09:22 AM
Aaaaa! That sucks. Is it just the frame that’s damaged or do you need to replace the whole bike?

VehiGAZ
03/02/2009, 09:23 AM
That sucks, Billy. What about the garage?

That's the least of Billy's worries - a triathelete's bike will be far more expensive to fix/replace than the garage!

Can you install a mirror on the garage door for next time?

Y33TREKker
03/02/2009, 10:52 AM
Can you install a mirror on the garage door for next time?
Or maybe an Infrared beam make/break device (where your bike would break the beam) located outside the garage that is wirelessly connected to an engine cutoff switch on the vehicle. As high-tech as it sounds, a similar setup would probably still be cheaper than a new bike and garage repairs.

Or simpler yet, what about one of those distance warning devices that you mount on the wall of a garage that starts to sound a warning alarm as your vehicle bumper gets closer to the wall? One of those could surely be mounted on the outside of the house above the garage door (to detect a bike) just as easily as it could inside a garage. I guess it would depend on how sensitive those things are, and how it could be aimed to pick up only a bike and it's relatively small cross-section.

etlsport
03/02/2009, 10:55 AM
aww man that sucks im sorry! i was pissed when i just scratched my bike!

the mirror idea would be pretty good... have you thought about a rear or hitch mounted bike carrier? i guess the downside to that is if someone does rear end you.. well yea, but with any luck they would pay for it

circmand
03/02/2009, 12:48 PM
I never did that because I never had a bike to put up there.

But not to worry my dad can fix that he is a TV repairman he has a wicked set of tools.

Hopefully this bit of nonsense lightens the gloom a bit.

Hotsauce
03/02/2009, 03:29 PM
Ouch!

Now you have an excuse to go carbon fiber.

John C.

Triathlete
03/02/2009, 10:04 PM
Well here she is...my new steed!:bgwo::bgwg::bgwb:
http://www.feltracing.com/09/images/catalog/large/8943yellow.png
Thanks to a great sponsorship (TriSports.com)my wallet is far less lighter than it could of been (though it is still quite a bit lighter).
The old bike only sustained frame damage. All the components appear to be unscathed. I will be selling the old bikes components to offset the new bike (I still need to get race wheels).
As far as preventing it from happening again...two things:
1. I am going to hang the old frame in view in the garage so that I will see it and remember what could happen
2. I will try to incorprate a reciever hitch into the new bumpers so I can use a hitch mount carrier.

pbkid
03/02/2009, 11:16 PM
i really think it would be easier to mount a little sensor that when you get close some sort of buzzer would go off...

they have those proximity lasers...might be cheaper than the hitch, and the possibility of backing into something with the low-visibilty VX...

WormGod
03/03/2009, 08:37 AM
Hahahaha, I'm sorry Billy. But man, you gotta laugh at that one too. It happens to ALL of us at some point in time. I did something very similar years ago and felt like a complete moron since all my neighbors were on hand to witness it. As utterly embarrassed and pissed as I was, it took about 20 mins for me to turn it all around into laughter. :cool:

Look at the bright side.... time to "upgrade" the damaged goods. ;)

MSHardeman
03/03/2009, 08:38 AM
Nice Felt Billy. She looks like a wind slicing weapon of competition destruction. Have you taken her out yet? Is she carbon?
Have fun getting to know your new ride. I'm sure you'll ride MANY miles together.

Cobrajet
03/04/2009, 12:25 PM
But not to worry my dad can fix that he is a TV repairman he has a wicked set of tools.Nothing a little bit of Mighty Putty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_4a4O7kXQo) won't fix! (Warning - R-rated language, Don't play this at work.)

Triathlete
03/04/2009, 09:57 PM
Nice Felt Billy. She looks like a wind slicing weapon of competition destruction. Have you taken her out yet? Is she carbon?
Have fun getting to know your new ride. I'm sure you'll ride MANY miles together.

Yep, all carbon. I have done 2 rides on it and it is fast! A 30 mile route I train on a lot went by 5 minutes faster!:eek:

MSHardeman
03/05/2009, 07:59 AM
Excellent Billy. Nothing like shaving minutes off of your total time. When you get the racing wheels you and the Felt will be unstoppable!

Until a couple of years ago I was a devout mountain biker, but decided to get a road bike so I could train my legs for endurance (plus it is easier to just jump on the road instead of packing for an OFFroad trip). I never thought much of road biking until I threw a leg over one. HOLY COW those things are efficient and FAST. I ended up buying a full carbon Kestrel Talon (with aero tubes, but not a full tri bike) and I LOVE that bike. I'm always amazed at how fast and far I go without even thinking about it. I don't put nearly as many miles on it as I would like, but the miles that I do put on it are a lot of fun.

KeithVXlvr
03/05/2009, 09:25 AM
Whoops !!

I did that with my bike on top my Honda Civic back in 1995...... It happens,.... so far only once !!! Nice new bike.

circmand, nice reference !!:)

Riff Raff
03/07/2009, 10:26 AM
Sorry for your loss. Here's a really simple and inexpensive idea: Get a good sized custom-made decal at a sign shop made in bright colored "reflective 3M vinyl" (the same reflective tape material used on semi-trailers) and stick it at the lowest part of the garage door eve. The reflective decal would simply say: BIKE ???

Remember to stick the reflective decal to the lowest part of the garage "eve" (not the garage door itself), so the decal doesn't disappear when the garage door is raised with the garage door opener. Get the decal made in "reflective 3M vinyl"; so if you come home at night, your headlights will illuminate the reminder decal.