PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance list for my first VX: What do you recommend?

Osteomata
02/28/2009, 08:04 PM
As I indicated here (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15075) my first VX is in route to me from New York. Riff Raff and Gussie have alluded to some intial maitenance I should do shortly after receipt, but I thought I might benefit from asking the assembled for their ideas for a comprehensive list of recommendations. In short, what maitenance (not mods) should I do first? This 2001 VX has unusually low mileage (35K), but I want to start this relationship off on the right foot. So far, I have this short list: (Feel free to add items or recommend changes in priority)

1. Tire pressure check
2. Oil change as soon as possible (synthetic MOBIL 1)
3. Check all other fluids: T-case, transmision, differentials; Flush & change if needed.
4. Change coolant
5. Inspect brake system
6. Steam wash under body & lube (Get rid of that NY state road salt)

- Os

pbkid
02/28/2009, 08:52 PM
ok, ill take my turn before anyone else does it because im kind....but do a search for maintenence, we have gone over initial maint. probably 5 times in the last 6 months.

sorry, dont mean to be a jerk but going over the same thing over and over gets old.

here ya go for a quick one that comes to my mind-
change your PCV valve
clean your MAF
clean air filter
change oil
check other fluids
never ever fill up your VX without checking the oil

look around, you will find the rest ;)

Osteomata
02/28/2009, 09:25 PM
pbkid,

Well that was unexpected. As a veteran and active participant on several forums (the danger of having multiple obsessive hobbies) I am well aquainted with the too-frequently-asked question. I would ask that you consider three things:

1. I have read hundreds of thread on this forum in the past week. This, combined with some personal exchanges with other members here, allowed me to derive my list of six items. Scotch prevented me from remembering the PCV valve. And the EGR tube cleaning now that I think of it. It is, therefore, all the fault of Scotch. This is another way of saying: I did search. But badly, I guess.

2. Go use the search function and enter the terms you just proposed: initial + maintenance. Tell me how many threads you came up with. I got one from VX talk. And it had nothin much to do with initial preventive maintenance for a new owner. Search functions are great, but they have some limited utility. Perhaps I could improve in this area.

3. On forums that I regularly read, when some overly enthusiastic but clearly ignorant noob (that would be me in this scenario) posts an obvious question that could be answered with a minor amount of reading or searching: I just ignore him.

- Os

etlsport
02/28/2009, 09:48 PM
:_confused i thought pb was pretty nice about the search function suggestion...

under your search criteria, search "new owner" or "first vx".. things like that, along with maintenance, it might narrow your threads a bit more

just quick extra things i can think of off hand...

clean out your window tracks then put some silicon or graphite lubricant in them

if your vx is lifted or has been offroaded, check your CV boots/joints

condition the seats, if they just sit and dont get used, they can get brittle, condition them to keep em soft and from cracking.. i noticed my passenger seat which almost never gets used started wearing really really fast when i started driving a friend around on a regular basis

use your abs.. find a dirt or gravel road and slam on the brakes (when its safe) not sure if it helps prolong the life of your abs unit... but it surely cant hurt!

generally i would clean everything mechanical up as spotless as possible

with a low mileage VX you should check on time related maintenance.. with 35k miles, they probably havent thought to change serpentine belt or things like that.. but they go with age or mileage

pbkid
02/28/2009, 09:50 PM
pbkid,

Well that was unexpected. As a veteran and active participant on several forums (the danger of having multiple obsessive hobbies) I am well aquainted with the too-frequently-asked question. I would ask that you consider three things:

1. I have read hundreds of thread on this forum in the past week. This, combined with some personal exchanges with other members here, allowed me to derive my list of six items. Scotch prevented me from remembering the PCV valve. And the EGR tube cleaning now that I think of it. It is, therefore, all the fault of Scotch. This is another way of saying: I did search. But badly, I guess.

2. Go use the search function and enter the terms you just proposed: initial + maintenance. Tell me how many threads you came up with. I got one from VX talk. And it had nothin much to do with initial preventive maintenance for a new owner. Search functions are great, but they have some limited utility. Perhaps I could improve in this area.

3. On forums that I regularly read, when some overly enthusiastic but clearly ignorant noob (that would be me in this scenario) posts an obvious question that could be answered with a minor amount of reading or searching: I just ignore him.

- Os

well, its nothing personal, trust me if i wouldnt have said it someone else would have....

so, theres not much thats needed on a VX with the amount of miles that yours has...

pretty much what you have and the things i listed i believe...there may be 1 or 2 more.
someone else will remind me of what i missed ;)

pbkid
02/28/2009, 09:53 PM
eh you beat me to it etl.
and thanks for the extra input, i knew i was forgetting something (the ABS thing is a great tip)

Osteomata
02/28/2009, 10:15 PM
under your search criteria, search "new owner" or "first vx".. things like that, along with maintenance, it might narrow your threads a bit more

Perhaps this could encourage a discussion about search techniques. Becauase, not to put to fine a point on this, but:
"new owner" zero results
"first vx" zero resluts
new + owner 500 results (not exactly narrowing it down)
first + vx 500 results.

Just not sure exactly how I am supposed to find initial maitenance recommendation threads , which I accept is probably a well-worn topic for the veterans here, given that every search alternative recommended does not work. Again: search utility is highly limited on forums.

None the less, I'm up to the following list:

1. Tire pressure check
3. Check all other fluids: T-case, transmision, differentials; Flush & change if needed.
4. Change coolant
5. Inspect brake system
7. Change PCV valve
8. Clean MAF
9. Clean/change air filter
10. Window track lubrication: silicone/graphite
11. Condition seats
12. Test ABS

Gussie2000
02/28/2009, 11:53 PM
Perhaps this could encourage a discussion about search techniques. Becauase, not to put to fine a point on this, but:
"new owner" zero results
"first vx" zero resluts
new + owner 500 results (not exactly narrowing it down)
first + vx 500 results.

Just not sure exactly how I am supposed to find initial maitenance recommendation threads , which I accept is probably a well-worn topic for the veterans here, given that every search alternative recommended does not work. Again: search utility is highly limited on forums.

None the less, I'm up to the following list:

1. Tire pressure check
4. Change coolant
5. Inspect brake system
7. Change PCV valve
8. Clean MAF
9. Clean/change air filter
10. Window track lubrication: silicone/graphite
11. Condition seats
12. Test ABS

I guess that's the most common duties you got to have done related to the Vx's maintainance.

The headllights lamps overall looks is also very concerned by all of us,also the cladding & hood insert being taken care of with UV protecting products,waxing the VX also helps keeps its appearance.

Just wait 'till the VX is at your house,take some time & do a good visual around to spot any thing you may consider necesary to have done,little by little you'll be able to be familiar with the VX & after a while all that becomes a a routing but pleasant job which is PAMPERIN YOUR BABY :p