PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping for 2 in the VX?

IsuZOOM
07/18/2003, 07:00 PM
I've been considering a few different options for camping arrangements, other than the standard "tent on the ground" routine.

1) Tent trailer
A good option. They don't weigh much (~ 300 # for a few of em!), but are pricey (~$3k-4k).

2) Rooftop tent
I'm still considering this, but our roof rack is pretty small. One brand has like 5-6 options and only the smallest fits! They run about $1000-1500.

3) Sleeping in the VX
That's what I'm here asking about. This thread (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1314) has been in the back of my mind and I've been measuring to see if it's feasible for us. (Thankfully, the wife and I are both short, I'm about 5'9 and she's shorter). There's about 58"-60" of room from the spare tire cover to the back of the front seats when they're slid forward, which could be enough if we slept on our sides. But you'd have to remove the rear seats to make anything resembling a flat area for a mattress of some sort.

So... how hard is it to remove / install the rear seats? I actually haven't had passengers back there since the weekend I bought the VX, so it wouldn't be the biggest loss if I took them out and KEPT them out, but if they're darn near impossible to re-install it'll definitely give me pause.

RobVX
07/18/2003, 07:36 PM
IsuZOOM:

Rear seat removal is a piece of cake (and re-installation is not difficult). Tilt up the rear seat assembly, take a metal punch and hammer and punch out the stock pin assembly holding the seat in place in the metal bracket, then lift the seat out.

Some owners actually unbolt the metal mounting bracket from the floorboard. I leave mine in place so that I can re-install the seats when needed. To re-install I put the seat back and use a bolt, lock washers and wingnut through the stock brackets. Have a picture posted in my gallery.

Rob A.

WyrreJ
07/18/2003, 07:53 PM
When I first got my VX I fiddled around with pushing the seats to their extreme-most positions. If I remember correctly, I was able to make the entire interior one flat "bed."

First, I removed the head-rests and then slide the front seats all the way forward, then lay the backs down to horizontal so that they just touched the front of the rear seats. Then, I reclined the rear seats to horizontal so that they almost touched the rear door. I think that an air-mattress on top of that would be just as good as an air-mattress anywhere else, and it saves you the trouble of removing the seats.

Of course, you may want to remove the seats for other reasons like increased storage when you aren't sleeping, but as a quick-n-dirty solution, I think it is pretty good.

IsuZOOM
07/18/2003, 08:19 PM
WyyreJ, you've just made my christmas list ;)

We folded down the rear seat to horizontal and low and behold, we fit! Just layed in there for about 5 minutes and it's quite comfortable! Add a pillow and a comforter and we're talking about some serious Ramada action :D

Now I can put all my money into a roof storage solution instead of a tent! (maybe something like this (http://www.bikeusa.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/gearSpaceCase.jpg) because the wife isn't sold on the open basket)

Moncha
07/18/2003, 09:43 PM
Yakima does make a soft sided cargo carrier like this...
http://www.yakima.com/tech_manual/details/8007020-prod-b.gif.
Laura and I loaded ours up with a tone of stuff when we went to Moab.. She was not interested in the open basket till I showed her that we can have the best of both worlds..

BigMeatVX
07/19/2003, 01:31 PM
Remember the front seat brackets?......

They allow the seat to go forward up to 5" farther:

This will allow for more sleeping room should you opt to sleep in the back of the VX....

I slept in the back of my VX recently on a fishing venture...Had the rear seat already removed, and I just stacked my luggage behind the passenger seat untill it was somewhat level (flat) with the rear floor, rolled out the sleeping bag and and had a comfortable nights rest.
The extra 5" the seat brackets provide, is enough to make this a bit more comfortable.

(could always remove the rear door cover and spare tire to get additional foot-space) ;Db;

Baxman
07/19/2003, 07:37 PM
This set up would be a bit "cozy" for two...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b2dc36b3127cce9cfbf077dbe90000004610
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b2dc36b3127cce9cfbf3689b6f0000006610
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b2dc36b3127cce9cfbf36f1a580000006610

A bolt at the forward end of the platform screws right into the anchor for the rear seatbelts. The rear seat does not have to be removed. A truss connected to the rear portion of the platform by a hinge, supports weight and just wedges into the contour of the lip of the rear "step". The hinged platform folds in half and stows easily. Set-up in 5 minutes.

Rick

paultvx
07/20/2003, 05:38 PM
Whatever happened to roughing it in the outdoors? C'mon you're all tough guys. Aren't you? ;)

I suppose sleeping in the vx is cheaper than paying for a camp site. Instead of using a bulky matress, I'd suggest using something like the Therm-a-rest sleeping pads. I am not sure if they make a 2 person sized one but the one I use for camping/backpacking is pretty comfy and rolls up small.

Bax's solution is pretty cool. I imagine if you add an Easy-Up canopy over the back end and made custom canvas side panels for it you could get some decent cover over the back.

Joe_Black
07/20/2003, 07:08 PM
We've been doing the camping thing after having purchased a two-person tent from www.rei.com that was equally suited for backpacking or motorcycling. We've been very happy with it overall, especially with the quality and ease of use. What we've determined after two camping VX meets is that we could can have a lot more comfort since we could haul a bigger tent and more gear in the VX than on bikes or foot. Then I remembered a friend who had a cool teardrop trailer he pulled behind his motorcycle. Some research and a bit of cruising on the web took me to www.desertteardrops.com where you can get a great set of plans for only $60. These things really suit the VX I think and you can find them in kits and completed as well. They're nothing to tow and offer a lot of customization. I've even seen some you can temporarily mount on a standard 4 X 8 utility trailer if you've already got one. Just my $.02!

johnnyapollo
07/20/2003, 07:34 PM
Hey Joe,

I remember the tent you guys had at the Rabun Gap meet. The one I have is made by Colman ... called "the Raptor" or something like that. It weighs about 6 1/2 pounds and I recently used it up in Glacier. It worked quite well with the Thermorest. I know what you mean about being more comfortable, though. Carl had an air mattress and a nice big sleeping bag... I had my mummy bag and thermorest and could have used the extra thickness of a matress to keep me out of all that water.

Love the trailer idea, by the way. Looks cool and easy to build to boot!

-- John

paultvx
07/21/2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
Your starting to get your VX's more and more like an Aztek!....All this talk about canopies and mattresses.....sounds Aztekie to me!

LOL!

Don't blame me when those strange people....and you know who I'm talking about....come up to you and say: " Is that one of those Azteks I've heard about???"

Well, I figured that's what you were all after. Personally, when I camp I camp. Besides... who cares about what other people will think. They'll think what they will no matter what you do. If you really cared about what others think, you should've gotten a Honda CRV or Ford Explorer. You already own and drive one of the most unique vehicles out there and you're concerned about what others might think? Heh.

IsuZOOM
07/21/2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by paultvx
If you really cared about what others think, you should've gotten a Honda CRV or Ford Explorer. ROFL - my previous 2 SUV's! Had a '97 CR-V that got rear-ended and totalled last year. Then bought a '95 Exploder to tow my boat that I sold a few months ago when the VX arrived. The CR-V is a terrific crossover (it's not a truck, just a Civic on steroids :D) that I'd buy again in a heartbeat if I didn't want to go off-road.

paultvx
07/21/2003, 11:02 AM
Read your own post. It does have an edge to it and without your clarification, it could've easily been read the other way.

AlaskaVX
07/21/2003, 01:45 PM
Man you guys have all this sleeping stuff wrong! Heres what you have to do, first you go to the nearest liquor store, buy enough alchohol to make you puking drunk. Then simple, you will find a place to sleep, without even trying. This works every weekend for me, no fail.;) I always bring a tent camping, never set it up, and end up sleeping in the driver side just reclined enough to get my drunk *** to pass out. Wake up a little sore, but it's nothing a morning beer won't take care of... hehehe

sad but true

IsuZOOM
07/21/2003, 02:04 PM
I take it you're not married :D I might be able to swing that, but the wife is going to require a bit more creature comfort!

AlaskaVX
07/21/2003, 02:46 PM
LOL, Maybe a couple bottles of good champagne or wine ought to do the trick... hehehe ;)
"creature comfort?" is that like a cage or something? ;) LOL sorry just bored at work

Anita
07/21/2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaVX
Man you guys have all this sleeping stuff wrong! Heres what you have to do, first you go to the nearest liquor store, buy enough alchohol to make you puking drunk. Then simple, you will find a place to sleep, without even trying.

At that rate you may wake up snuggling in a one-person sleeping bag with Ryan Seacrest....:winkr: :winkr:

AlaskaVX
07/21/2003, 03:16 PM
now that was so un-cool! :nog: ;puke2; I am going to quit drinking now.

Joe_Black
07/21/2003, 03:28 PM
Yet another case for the teardrop trailer: You can LOCK it! LOL!

paultvx
07/21/2003, 11:08 PM
Man you guys have all this sleeping stuff wrong! Heres what you have to do, first you go to the nearest liquor store, buy enough alchohol to make you puking drunk. Then simple, you will find a place to sleep, without even trying. This works every weekend for me, no fail.;) I always bring a tent camping, never set it up, and end up sleeping in the driver side just reclined enough to get my drunk *** to pass out. Wake up a little sore, but it's nothing a morning beer won't take care of... hehehe

sad but true

Damn man. Sounds like you have a little problem. Time for a show of group love and send him to rehab.

Aaron
02/05/2004, 08:14 AM
Reason # 2384 to stay single....

SPAZZ
02/05/2004, 10:57 AM
Creature comfort?????

;Dp; just bring her a roll of TP

JAFO
02/06/2004, 01:37 PM
Posted by IsuZoom:
1) Tent trailer
Ultimate Camper
http://www.ultimatecampers.com.au/images/alayers2.gif
http://www.southwest.com.au/~ickbar/micks4x4.html

http://www.campertrailerswa.com/index.html

www.ahernmetal.com.au (http://www.ahernmetal.com.au)

edwin
03/12/2004, 01:15 PM

sad but true

ROCK - !!!!!!!

BaM*BaM
03/12/2004, 02:22 PM
Drunk without drinking!

http://www.gizmo.com.au/public/news/news.asp?articleid=2633

http://www.users.qwest.net/~pempem/drunk.gif

AlaskaVX
03/12/2004, 04:02 PM
BAM*BAM thats too cool! So... everytime you breath will you be tasting the alchohol you put in there or.... ;wtf; very interesting.
Whats next.. "Just hook it up to my Veins!" :homer:

And thanks edwin, thats one of my finer quotes on this forum... LOL.