PDA

View Full Version : 265 / 275 or 285 width tyres ??

crotchrocket
02/27/2009, 03:18 AM
Ok so i need to decide and can't, i've looked and the wheel and tyre thread a million times and don't know what to go for

Set up is-

OME 912 springs + torsion bar crank to match

16 x 9" wheels, with an aggressive -19 offset (might need fender extensions)

Or if they are too agressive, standard 16 x 7" wheels with 30mm spacers?

Any ideas anyone?? Looking to have a 75 tyre wall

crotchrocket
02/27/2009, 03:22 AM
Oh These are my wheels ready for a re-firb

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/1bee_1.jpg

and i love these !!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/Vx_back_view.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/1038new_camera_and_pictures_007.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/VX11.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/071.jpg

tom4bren
02/27/2009, 06:50 AM
The mass consensus of this august assembly is that you DON'T want my input on wheel/tire selection:)

I think that the majority would guide you to an 18" rim & stuff as much rubber on it as will fit nicely in the fender wells - but don't let it stick out too far.

LittleBeast
02/27/2009, 01:43 PM
The mass consensus of this august assembly is that you DON'T want my input on wheel/tire selection:)

I think that the majority would guide you to an 18" rim & stuff as much rubber on it as will fit nicely in the fender wells - but don't let it stick out too far.

hahaha, yeah um to see how a negative offset looks on the VX look at tom4bren's gallery. My guess would be that Tom's offset is like -20 or so, no one really knows. Usually I like VX's stance the best with an offset around +15 +10mm offset, but that is just my personal opinion and should be taken just as such. I would definitely not go any smaller than the 285 width though no matter what you do, that would just look weird if you went any more narrow with that much tire sticking out.

Riff Raff
02/28/2009, 07:41 AM
CROTCHROCKET--- You didn't mention how tall O.D. of tire you wanted, nor if you wanted A/T or M/T. However, by the Photo's you included I would assume you are more interested in an aggressive M/T tire.

In addition, your replacement wheels of 16x9 are a bit wide having a width of 9", which is at the width spectrum end of a 285 series tire. You can easily go with a wider tire in the 295, 305, 315 series that also fit perfectly on a 9" wide rim.

Since the OEM tires on the VX only weighed 34 lbs, I also wanted to focus on the most "lightweight" versions of LT-series M/T tires in an effort to minimize the negative effects of unsprung weight on the VX launch, MPG, and braking distance. The specific tire brands/models were listed due to either their unique tire size or extreme lightweight. As you didn't mention desired O.D. height, I've listed the below tire sizes in O.D. groupings, in an effort to help you pinpoint your search:

32" O.D. TIRE:

A. LT285/70R16 (32" O.D./61 lbs) - TOYO "Open Country" M/T (size in M/T only).

33" O.D. TIRE:

B. LT285/75R16 (33" O.D./52 lbs) - Yokohama "Geolander M/T" (OWL).
C. LT305/70R16 (33" O.D./57 lbs) - Yokohama "Geolander M/T".

33.5" O.D. TIRE:

D. LT295/75R16 (33.5" O.D./57 lbs) - TOYO "Open Country" A/T (size in A/T only).

35" O.D. TIRE:

E. LT315/75R16 (35" O.D./65 lbs) -Yokohama "Geolander M/T".

Conclusion--- What's my recommendation??? I would pick either "B", "C", or "E" above. The Yokohama Geolander M/T is a very aggressive looking "directional tread" tire and is also extremely lightweight for an M/T.

If you want OWL, then go with choice "B" which is also specific LEFT-SIDE and RIGHT-SIDE due to being both directional tread and outlined white letters (not interchangable side-to-side).

If you want standard Blackwall, then go with choice "C", as this is a wide 305 series tire that fits perfectly on the 9" wide rim and will give the VX a very mean-n-stout looking appearance while still being extremely lightweight at only 57 lbs each for a wide M/T.

If you want a tall-n-wide 35" O.D. tire, then go with choice "E". Yes; it is heavy at 65 lbs, but it is extremely lightweight when compared to any other 35" O.D. M/T tire on the market!!!

If you don't like any of the example tires I've suggested, then try to search for LT-series tires in either C or D "Load Range". Stay clear of all LT-series tires in E - Load Range, as E's are extremely heavy and well beyond practical tire weights for the small, sporty & agile VX. Riff Raff

pbkid
02/28/2009, 10:13 AM
just a note on the yoko geolandar....

when i bought my wrangler MTR's i talked to the guys at BIG O about the geolandar because i LOVE the way they look...but they told me that they are having a ton of people trying to return them or sell them.
they claim they have bad tire wear issues, (they wear unevenly). so, just a heads up, do your research

crotchrocket
03/03/2009, 04:39 AM
CROTCHROCKET--- You didn't mention how tall O.D. of tire you wanted, nor if you wanted A/T or M/T. However, by the Photo's you included I would assume you are more interested in an aggressive M/T tire.

In addition, your replacement wheels of 16x9 are a bit wide having a width of 9", which is at the width spectrum end of a 285 series tire. You can easily go with a wider tire in the 295, 305, 315 series that also fit perfectly on a 9" wide rim.

Since the OEM tires on the VX only weighed 34 lbs, I also wanted to focus on the most "lightweight" versions of LT-series M/T tires in an effort to minimize the negative effects of unsprung weight on the VX launch, MPG, and braking distance. The specific tire brands/models were listed due to either their unique tire size or extreme lightweight. As you didn't mention desired O.D. height, I've listed the below tire sizes in O.D. groupings, in an effort to help you pinpoint your search:

32" O.D. TIRE:

A. LT285/70R16 (32" O.D./61 lbs) - TOYO "Open Country" M/T (size in M/T only).

33" O.D. TIRE:

B. LT285/75R16 (33" O.D./52 lbs) - Yokohama "Geolander M/T" (OWL).
C. LT305/70R16 (33" O.D./57 lbs) - Yokohama "Geolander M/T".

33.5" O.D. TIRE:

D. LT295/75R16 (33.5" O.D./57 lbs) - TOYO "Open Country" A/T (size in A/T only).

35" O.D. TIRE:

E. LT315/75R16 (35" O.D./65 lbs) -Yokohama "Geolander M/T".

Conclusion--- What's my recommendation??? I would pick either "B", "C", or "E" above. The Yokohama Geolander M/T is a very aggressive looking "directional tread" tire and is also extremely lightweight for an M/T.

If you want OWL, then go with choice "B" which is also specific LEFT-SIDE and RIGHT-SIDE due to being both directional tread and outlined white letters (not interchangable side-to-side).

If you want standard Blackwall, then go with choice "C", as this is a wide 305 series tire that fits perfectly on the 9" wide rim and will give the VX a very mean-n-stout looking appearance while still being extremely lightweight at only 57 lbs each for a wide M/T.

If you want a tall-n-wide 35" O.D. tire, then go with choice "E". Yes; it is heavy at 65 lbs, but it is extremely lightweight when compared to any other 35" O.D. M/T tire on the market!!!

If you don't like any of the example tires I've suggested, then try to search for LT-series tires in either C or D "Load Range". Stay clear of all LT-series tires in E - Load Range, as E's are extremely heavy and well beyond practical tire weights for the small, sporty & agile VX. Riff Raff

Thank you for putting so much work into your answer!!!!!!

I am wanting around 32" diameter so that the ground clearance is better but the tyres aren't going to rub so much! Especially with just 2" lift. I'm guessing with a 2" lift i will struggle with 285 75 16 tyres?

If i use the standard 7" x 16" rims can i even use 285 tyres?
If i can use the 9" wide rims can i fit anything smaller than 285 tyres?

I love the idea of the 305 tyres!! But just not sure they will fit? Anyone know? Basicaly what im getting at is i want the biggest tyres i can fit on a 2" lifted VX with 7" or 9" rims :D

Riff Raff
03/03/2009, 08:54 AM
CROTCHROCKET--- I just did a "world-wide" search for ANY tire made in 285/70R16 (32" O.D.). Currently, there are only two(2) tires manufactured in the world in this rare specific size; one is an M/T, and the other is a "street tire", they are:

285/70R16 (32" O.D./61 lbs) - TOYO "Open Country" M/T
285/70R16 (32" O.D./57 lbs) - Yokohama AVS S/T

The TOYO "Open Country" M/T is item "A" in my previous tire review write-up. It is the only "MUD" Tire made in the world in this specific size and seems to be your only choice for a 285 series, 32" O.D. M/T tire. The Yokohama AVS S/T (S/T = Street Tire) is rated M+S, but is primarily intended for on-road use only.

Regarding wheels--- I realize you recently purchased your aftermarket 16x9 (used) wheels on eBay, as I remember your postings related to them here on this forum, but you should NOT use them on your VX if at all possible. Conversly, I highly recommend the specific use of your factory OEM Stock 16x7 wheels because they have the OEM correct offset and backspacing you will want to maintain in order to keep the front tires neatly tucked within the severely cramped front wheelwells with minimal and/or no rubbing issues.

A 285 series tire is at the very narrow spectrum width to be able to fit on your 9" wide rim. That's why wider 295, 305, 315 series widths were listed, as they are also capable of fitting on a 9" wide rim. Yes, you are absolutely correct in your thinking that a 295 series or wider tire may/will cause extreme rubbing issues within the very cramped front wheelwells of the VX. It is pretty much a given that a 295 series tire or wider will require extensive modification in order for them to fit on the front of the VX.

The recommended rim width range of a 285 series tire is 7"--9", with the "ideal" rim being an 8" wide wheel. The 285 series tire is the widest tire you should mount on a 7" rim, and the narrowest tire you should mount on a 9" rim.

Bottom Line--- The TOYO "Open Country" M/T in LT285/70R16 (32" O.D./61 lbs) is a very meaty and aggressive true "MUD" tire and still has great on-road characteristics, where you don't feel like you're riding in a tank when on normal streets. This tire mounted on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims will provide you the maximum traction off-road with relative comfort on-road, and will cause minimal rubbing and clearance issues while having the 32" O.D. you desire.

Check 'em out at the TOYO Tire website. Get 'em & mount 'em on your OEM 16x7 rims and never look back!!! Riff Raff

crotchrocket
03/03/2009, 02:02 PM
im struggling to find that size tyre here to be honest! There is no Yokohoma Geolander here :(

Check out this site... if you hold your mouse over the 16" option you can see alot of what i can get. There are loads of 265 tyres.

theres the Kumho tyre?
http://www.4x4tyres.com/index.php?show=tyres&rim=R16&profile=285/75

i like the look of the bronco grizzly claw but it only comes in 265 or 305 sizes. Theres also some mean looking re-molds!!

WiSDoM
03/03/2009, 03:55 PM
Just a suggestion but if you are going to lift it and wheel it. You should real get some 1.5' or 2" Diff drop brackets. I just install a set because I have had to replace my drive side half-shaft twice and my passenger side once. The half-shafts can be hard to find and are expensive to installed so I would strongly recommend the brackets. Another thing to think about is the bigger the tire the slower ride, unless you change your gear ratios. I have 265/75/17 which is around 31.5" +/-.

Hotsauce
03/03/2009, 04:30 PM
I have 285/55/18's on 18/9" rims. I had to trim the corner of the plastic ever so little.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/thumbs/justwashed.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6167)

John C.

don moore
03/03/2009, 08:33 PM
im running 265/70/16 they are great

Riff Raff
03/04/2009, 06:11 AM
im struggling to find that size tyre here to be honest! There is no Yokohoma Geolander here :(

Check out this site... if you hold your mouse over the 16" option you can see alot of what i can get. There are loads of 265 tyres.

theres the Kumho tyre?
http://www.4x4tyres.com/index.php?show=tyres&rim=R16&profile=285/75

i like the look of the bronco grizzly claw but it only comes in 265 or 305 sizes. Theres also some mean looking re-molds!!

CROTCHROCKET--- Thank you so much for providing the "link" to your UK tire supplier. Frustrated in my dire quest to help you; I sent an E-Mail to the UK tire "link" supplier you provided and inquired about the lack of selection in the LT285/75R16 tires. Consequently; due to my aggravated E-Mail inquiry, they have immediately updated their website with additional choices for you to select from.

Apparently, the UK overall has a severe "logistical" problem with obtaining tires manufactured in other countries (like the USA). Thus; your available choices are extremely limited to just a few, but have now been somewhat expanded due to my proding initiative with your UK tire supplier.

I realize your ultimate goal in tires is three-fold:
(1) First, you would like to have a wide 285 series tire that will still fit on your existing rims.
(2) Second, you would like to have a true "MUD" tire with a very aggressive tread.
(3) Third, you would like a taller O.D. in the 32"--33" range.

Since the rare TOYO M/T (32" O.D.) & the lightweight Yokohama Geolander are both not available near you in the UK, then we must "re-focus" our size primarily on the LT285/75R16 with an O.D. of 33".

Please re-visit your "link" UK tire supplier and consider the following tires in tire size LT285/75R16 (33" O.D.):

INSA - SPECIAL TRAK: An all-out true "MUD" tire with an extremely aggressive tread pattern that will absolutely destroy any terrain in its path and will make your VX look very mean!!! This tire is inexpensive and is a lot of tire for the price. It is my #1 choice for you.

KUMHO - MT 834: This tire is a more traditional mud tire with a very common M/T tread pattern and will perform well off-road. Kumho's are a good quality tire and have been around for a long time. It is a bit more expensive, and doesn't have the eye-popping tread pattern like the Insa-Special Trak. Thus, this is my #2 choice for you.

GENERAL - GRABBER AT2: This tire is my most absolute favorite "A/T" tire in the entire world. It is an all-around proven performer in any environment and can keep up with many true mud specialty tires. It is very quiet on the highway; providing a very smooth comfortable ride, and is a hands-down winner in Snow with its Snowflake/Mountain rating. If you were after an A/T version tire, then this would be my primary choice. When I replace my tires on my VX, it will be the lightweight P-Metric version of this tire. However; you're specifically in the market for a true "MUD" tire (not A/T), and so this is my #3 choice for you.

Again, check out the "link" of your UK tire supplier, as the site has just been updated with additional choices. The tire size of LT285/75R16 (33" O.D.) mounted on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims (to minimize rubbing/fitment issues) is my very best advice for you. Riff Raff

crotchrocket
03/05/2009, 05:15 AM
RiffRaff......:eek: i can't thank you enough ! :_beer::_beer: !!!!!!

I was looking at the Insa Stecial track and it seas the tyre treads are so thick that i'd need to go down to a 265 tyre! Lots of people testing them have fount the OD to be alot larger than expected. Also i hear the Kumho's wear quickly and un-evenly. The new Kumho KL71 tyre looks great though and is aparently alot better (link to to another 4x4 tyre place i could go to next saturday http://www.ajstyres.co.uk/tyres/kumho/kumho.htm )

Just to let you know where i am!!
I am lifting the VX on this saturday and poss doing the ball joint flip if necessary. I will be getting my new wheels delivered on Friday so i will test fit a rim and take a photo for you :D

That then gives me a week to decide, order and get the new tyres before off roading on the 15th March

I'd like to fit 285 75 16's to the new wheels but If the 9" rim is too wide ( i am happy to enlarge the bump stops to stop arch rubbing and extent the arch (fender) to allow for a wider tyre if they aren't too agressive) then i have further options;

1) Fit 285 75 16 M/T tyres like the BF Goodrich or a similar re-mold to the standard wheels ( pushing the 7" rim a bit do you think? )

2) Fit 265 75 16 M/T tyres same as above and add 30mm spacers making a +8mm offset on the standard wheel and giving a more aggressive stance but enabling a better choice of tyre and less arch modification.

3) Fit some cheap steel wheels with a 0 offset with some 265 or 285 M/T tyres like these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/265-75-16-INSA-TRACTION-TRACK-tyres-Wheels-x-4_W0QQitemZ190268787462QQihZ009QQcategoryZ9888QQcm dZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

4) fit some cheep steel wheels with a 0 offset and the Insa Specials like these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/265-75-16-INSA-SPECIAL-TRACK-tyres-Wheels-x-4_W0QQitemZ190287613237QQihZ009QQcategoryZ9888QQcm dZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

5) get some 285 / 75 16 M/T tyres on the stock wheels for now (if they fit?) and search for a nice 16 x 8 wheel with a +12mm offset (or there abouts) to get the look i want ?

Riff Raff
03/05/2009, 07:17 AM
CROTCHROCKET--- You're welcome, glad to help. Thanks for the additional "link" to the other tire supplier which carries the awesome KUMHO - MT KL-71. I knew about this fantastic tire and was really dissappointed when your other tire "link" only had the older version KUMHO MT-834. That's why I orginally recommended the INSA - SPECIAL TRAK.

However, now that I know you can actually get the KUMHO - MT KL-71 in size LT285/75R16, then that tire mounted on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 wheels is by far my #1 choice for you!!! Basically, option #5 (in your previous) thread.

You mentioned "lifting" your VX this weekend prior to fitting your new wheel/tire set-up. I believe you've got your priorities backwards in reverse order. It is always better to first "test-fit" your new wheel/tire set-up BEFORE doing any kind of body "lift". Why??? Because the new wheel/tire set-up will "dictate" exactly what is required to be modified to the VX in order to fit the larger tires. You may even discover that the new wheel/tire set-up fit on the stock VX without "lifting", or may just require a few minor cranks on the front torsion bar to be able to clear the front tires.

Remember, additional vehicle ground clearance can only be gained by larger O.D. tires, not "lifting". The only thing "lifting" does is allow larger O.D. tires to fit without rubbing. Like I said, if you mount your new tires on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims, you may find that no "lift" is required at all. Maybe just some minor cladding trimming and/or possible torsion bar cranks. However, you won't actually know until the new wheel/tire set-up is "test-fitted" on your VX first!!!

There are many forms of "fitting" larger O.D. tires on the VX. Here they are in "graduated degree" order:

A. PERFECT FIT -- larger tires fit without any rubbing.

B. TRIMMING OF CLADDING REQUIRED -- larger tires fit with only minor front cladding trim.

C. FRONT TORSION BAR CRANK -- larger tires fit with minor front torsion bar crank and possible cladding trim.

D. FRONT TORSION BAR CRANK & OME 912 REAR SPRINGS -- larger tires fit only after major vehicle lift.

Thus; having said that, here is what I highly recommend and in the "sequence order" to be accomplished:

(1) Get the KUMHO - MT KL-71 tires in LT285/75R16 and mount them on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims.

(2) "Test-Fit" the wheel/tire set-up on the VX and determine if they rub or not.

(3) If wheel/tire set-up does rub; then take the bare minimal action required in order for the tires not to rub (as described above). Your very "last resort" should be a full body lift, only after all previous options have been utilized.

So, "hold-off" on the VX lift for now. Get the new KUMHO - MT KL-71 in LT285/75R16 and mount them on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims, and then "test-fit" them on your VX and determine exactly what needs to be done (if anything). Who knows, the new Kumho's might fit like a glove with maybe only require a little cladding trim. The LT285/75R16 will fit just fine on the factory OEM Stock 16x7 rim without any problems.

Using any aftermarket wheel on the VX is the primary cause to rubbing and fitment issues. Remember, the true "secret" in preventing any tire rubbing issues is to mount your new tires on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims, without spacers. The factory OEM Stock 16x7 wheels have the proper OEM offset and backspacing that you will want to maintain to help keep the tires neatly tucked within the severly cramped front wheelwells; I can't stress that enough!!! Riff Raff

Riff Raff
03/10/2009, 05:36 AM
CROTCHROCKET--- You're welcome, glad to help. Thanks for the additional "link" to the other tire supplier which carries the awesome KUMHO - MT KL-71. I knew about this fantastic tire and was really dissappointed when your other tire "link" only had the older version KUMHO MT-834. That's why I orginally recommended the INSA - SPECIAL TRAK.

However, now that I know you can actually get the KUMHO - MT KL-71 in size LT285/75R16, then that tire mounted on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 wheels is by far my #1 choice for you!!! Basically, option #5 (in your previous) thread.

You mentioned "lifting" your VX this weekend prior to fitting your new wheel/tire set-up. I believe you've got your priorities backwards in reverse order. It is always better to first "test-fit" your new wheel/tire set-up BEFORE doing any kind of body "lift". Why??? Because the new wheel/tire set-up will "dictate" exactly what is required to be modified to the VX in order to fit the larger tires. You may even discover that the new wheel/tire set-up fit on the stock VX without "lifting", or may just require a few minor cranks on the front torsion bar to be able to clear the front tires.

Remember, additional vehicle ground clearance can only be gained by larger O.D. tires, not "lifting". The only thing "lifting" does is allow larger O.D. tires to fit without rubbing. Like I said, if you mount your new tires on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims, you may find that no "lift" is required at all. Maybe just some minor cladding trimming and/or possible torsion bar cranks. However, you won't actually know until the new wheel/tire set-up is "test-fitted" on your VX first!!!

There are many forms of "fitting" larger O.D. tires on the VX. Here they are in "graduated degree" order:

A. PERFECT FIT -- larger tires fit without any rubbing.

B. TRIMMING OF CLADDING REQUIRED -- larger tires fit with only minor front cladding trim.

C. FRONT TORSION BAR CRANK -- larger tires fit with minor front torsion bar crank and possible cladding trim.

D. FRONT TORSION BAR CRANK & OME 912 REAR SPRINGS -- larger tires fit only after major vehicle lift.

Thus; having said that, here is what I highly recommend and in the "sequence order" to be accomplished:

(1) Get the KUMHO - MT KL-71 tires in LT285/75R16 and mount them on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims.

(2) "Test-Fit" the wheel/tire set-up on the VX and determine if they rub or not.

(3) If wheel/tire set-up does rub; then take the bare minimal action required in order for the tires not to rub (as described above). Your very "last resort" should be a full body lift, only after all previous options have been utilized.

So, "hold-off" on the VX lift for now. Get the new KUMHO - MT KL-71 in LT285/75R16 and mount them on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims, and then "test-fit" them on your VX and determine exactly what needs to be done (if anything). Who knows, the new Kumho's might fit like a glove with maybe only require a little cladding trim. The LT285/75R16 will fit just fine on the factory OEM Stock 16x7 rim without any problems.

Using any aftermarket wheel on the VX is the primary cause to rubbing and fitment issues. Remember, the true "secret" in preventing any tire rubbing issues is to mount your new tires on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims, without spacers. The factory OEM Stock 16x7 wheels have the proper OEM offset and backspacing that you will want to maintain to help keep the tires neatly tucked within the severly cramped front wheelwells; I can't stress that enough!!! Riff Raff!

crotchrocket
03/10/2009, 05:38 AM
I know, sorry dude the tyre shop were un able to get the tyres by the weekend so i HAD to do the lift instead, i only get saturdays to my self and i need to have the VX off road capable by next sunday!!

I am not keen on using the standard wheels! so was thnking i'd get the tyres mounted to two of the new wheels, test them and if they are too big get the tyres put on the standard rims. I won't need spacers to fit these large tyres on the standard rims will i ?

Riff Raff
03/10/2009, 06:04 AM
CROTCHROCKET--- No, problem; I'm just glad you saw my original advice. I'm saddened you dislike the OEM 16x7 wheel, as I think it is quite elegant. In viewing the pictures in your latest thread with your eBay wheels, they look a bit "ghetto" in both appearance and offset (but I like wine sometimes, too-- so who am I to judge?). Ask your friends their opinion of beauty between your choices of wheels.

Yes, your new tires will fit perfect on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 wheels if you desire to use them.

No, you will not need to use any kind of spacers with the OEM rims. By using the factory OEM Stock 16x7 wheels will negate the use of any spacers and the wheel/tire set-up will mount perfectly against the hub. Lastly; using spacers of any kind is highly NOT recommended, as they create more problems than any possible benefit and can be extremely dangerous under stress. Please don't use spacers of any kind. Rather, get the proper wheel with the proper offset and backspacing as opposed to using backspacers. Riff Raff

crotchrocket
03/11/2009, 09:04 AM
In case anyone searches for this in the future, i have gone for 265 75 16 tyres, reason being i was concerned about the extra diameter of a 285 tyre. It would throw the speedo out and put a fair amount of extra strain on the tranny etc. They would effectivly be 4" greater in diameter!, so at 60mph on the speedo i would be doing nearer 69mph !

Also, the 265 tyres are going to sit nicely under the arches with an OME 912 lift without too much cladding trimming, meaning i don't have to jack up the front more than 2" causing CV boot ware aswell,

Thanks for all the help !

Riff Raff
04/21/2009, 03:56 AM
Just thought I'd "bump" this thread up again for the specific benefit of "HAGGISGOOD".

Riff Raff
04/21/2009, 03:26 PM
Just thought I'd "bump" this thread up again for the specific benefit of "HAGGISGOOD".

x2

nfpgasmask
04/21/2009, 03:51 PM
Crotch, I'm sure you have my specs already, but I am running 16" rims with a 0 offset and 265s. I only had to trim a little and pound in the corners behind the front wheel wells. If you go bigger you will probably have to chop off more and pound more. :)

Bart

haggisgood
04/21/2009, 03:52 PM
Thank you Riff Raff for the info.. Your advice in this topic is second to none!
That said.. its a Calmini kit for me and prob the 305/70/16 Geolander M/T.
$194 is not bad and the tire does look great. I have been on quite a few sites and read various reviews regarding these tires. Wear seems to be the #1 issue.
So, that said, will I have to trim the front w/ these tires or will the torsion crank be enough?
Guess I am wrong to think a 3" lift lifts the vehicle.. ( I knew a body lift did nothing but thought the suspension did)...
So in all reality, I would only be gaining about 2" or so of clearance??

Thanks again Riff Raff!
Our members surely appreciate the time & effort you put into your posts!

Sprey
04/22/2009, 01:51 AM
Ive gone with 265/75/16 on a 0 offset wheel same as crotch and nfpgasmask.

Time to fit on friday or 2mrw :D

don moore
04/22/2009, 08:59 PM
265/75/16 for me ........just like the gas man and the that JDM guy....lol

hellomoto
05/29/2009, 01:34 PM
Without the risk of sounding stupid, what is the “off-set” on wheels? I’m looking at replacing my tires and rims and would like the “fat” look. You know, when the wheels kinda stick out a little. Any suggestions on wheel types (off-set) and tires sizes?
I have a 99 VX on 16’s and no lift at the moment, but will crank up the front 2” and do the same lift on the rear. Will only be used on the street and very mild off road.
Thanks

nfpgasmask
05/29/2009, 01:57 PM
Without the risk of sounding stupid, what is the “off-set” on wheels? I’m looking at replacing my tires and rims and would like the “fat” look. You know, when the wheels kinda stick out a little. Any suggestions on wheel types (off-set) and tires sizes?
I have a 99 VX on 16’s and no lift at the moment, but will crank up the front 2” and do the same lift on the rear. Will only be used on the street and very mild off road.
Thanks

As far as I understand it, "offset" is the position of the mounting point of the wheel. If you find a wheel with a 0 (zero) offset, then the center of the wheel will be right in the middle. My wheels are a 0 offset. Back-spacing is the amount of space behind the mounting point. Backspacing can come into play with the look as well as clearance for calipers and such.

http://image.automotive.com/f/tech/wheels/9904878+pheader/0611mt_01_z+offset_wheels+offset_chart.jpg

Bart

hellomoto
05/29/2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks for your help. That kinda makes sense. So what i need are "negative" offset wheels but not too much as to interfere with the brake calipers etc. If anyone could recommend the type, make, offset i’m looking for it would be greatly appreciated.
I will probably be looking at the steel rims in black.

Sprey
05/29/2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks for your help. That kinda makes sense. So what i need are "negative" offset wheels but not too much as to interfere with the brake calipers etc. If anyone could recommend the type, make, offset i’m looking for it would be greatly appreciated.

Check out this thread
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14685&page=9

Alot of people seem to have either Anything ranging from +20 offset and below.

Have a look through thread
Lots of the pics have the offset written under them.

crotchrocket
06/04/2009, 03:30 AM

Steel rims; 16" diameter, 8" width and 0 offset....done :D