PDA

View Full Version : Taking the VX to an Off Roading Event !!!!

crotchrocket
02/27/2009, 02:49 AM
So i bought the VX 3 weeks ago and i am taking it off roading for the first time this weekend (first propper time for me too!) Its the reason i bought the car!

I have road tyres still which is a real pain which means the main questions are about recovery points. I want recovery ropes readily available and i have read other threads saying the transportation tie down eyes are safe to use?

I have 2 shakles that i can attach to the front eyes so i can have a rope ready and wrapped arount the spot lights, on the rear there is only one eye, can i tow from this?

I don't think they will recover me from the hook on the front incase it slips off?

I saw Little Beast has 2 hooks, can i replace them with bolted shackles instead??

etlsport
02/27/2009, 06:00 AM
i have used those two transportation points in the rear to pull stuck folks before.. they are holding up fine.. i would recommend that you only pull on those straight forward and back though.. as little sideways motion as possible

i use the front hook still but many do complain about it.. they arent welded to the frame or anything so it would be fairly easy to make a loop to go there.. but as far as i know. there arent any readily available for order

how much time do you have? a tow hitch with a D ring shackle in the receiver makes a fantastic tow point for the rear

tom4bren
02/27/2009, 06:04 AM
The eye on the back is strong enough to pull a VX out of a tadpole pond:):):)

Cobrajet
02/27/2009, 11:11 AM
The eye on the back is strong enough to pull a VX out of a tadpole pond:):):)Now, how would YOU (and I) know THAT??

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/vehicross_0141.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/11091)

etlsport
02/27/2009, 12:36 PM
i havent the faintest clue what you guys are talking about.. but man thats a nice lookin vx in that pic you just posted!

LittleBeast
02/27/2009, 01:01 PM
i havent the faintest clue what you guys are talking about.. but man thats a nice lookin vx in that pic you just posted!

HAHAHAHA, that is great!

I have used the front two hooks on mine to pull a 4 door luxury sedan out of a huge ditch and they held up fine.

etlsport
02/27/2009, 08:47 PM
ive used my vx to tow a lot of vehicles.. ive used the front hooks to pull an Audi A4 out of about 7" of snow, no problems.. used them to pull a dodge caravan up a hill at low speeds.. used them to pull branches off a tree too.. also used them to have my vx pulled up a fairly steep snow covered hill (twice)

ive used the rear tow hooks to tow a jeep cherokee at low speed, to pull my vx out of a mud pit, and to pull a dodge intrepid nose down in a ditch perpendicular to the road up the hill.. never an issue

oh and there was a minor incident where my vx was pulled out of small pond by the rear tow points too.. :rollb:

rowhard
02/27/2009, 08:51 PM
So how did you get in that position, AIR DROP IT!!!!

etlsport
02/27/2009, 08:54 PM
So how did you get in that position, AIR DROP IT!!!!

well we were out offroading.. and i decided to take my stock vx on a side trail where all the lifted VXs with us were too uneasy about taking.. my co-pilot ran ahead and scouted the trail for me and decided that i should be fine... but she forgot to look for a place to turn around.. so i had to try a 3 point turn on that little trail.. got a lil too close to the bank and slid down into the pond.. there was a decent sized drop off so i couldnt just reverse back up it.. tom, cstyles and cobrajet used a come-a-long anchored to a tree to get me some traction and back up onto the trail

rowhard
02/27/2009, 09:44 PM
got a lil too close to the bank and slid down into the pond..

Looks about 4 foot to close. Who need's the glasses, her or you???:)

Sure am glad I don't go to MOAB, might get my butt kicked on that one