PDA

View Full Version : Skidplates by Rowhard

rowhard
02/26/2009, 03:07 PM
Okay, maybe better to start a new thread instead of updating on page 4 of the old thread. The order letter is now posted under Parts and Accessories. I am ready to supply at this time REAR Skidplates only for those of you that might only have a front and want to finish your VX off. I should have the fronts ready in another week.

vt_maverick
02/26/2009, 08:07 PM
Any word on whether the rear plates will fit a Tone hitch? I seem to remember JohnnyApollo mentioning that his rear plate was a one-off to perfect the fit...

rowhard
02/26/2009, 08:12 PM
Any word on whether the rear plates will fit a Tone hitch? I seem to remember JohnnyApollo mentioning that his rear plate was a one-off to perfect the fit...

Yes, it will fit. Just needs to be trimmed like the cladding. Here is a photo that Ldub posted. http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14565&page=4

I am hoping that one size(trimmed) will fit all and will be supplying both for those that do, and those that don't have Tones fine hitch. :bwgy:

etlsport
02/26/2009, 08:44 PM
only thing to look out for is that the hitch ldub has includes a "notch" cut out of it to fit the hitch pin.. otherwise the pin hole is half covered by the plate i thing.. i think that someone said they drilled another hole in their hitch to accommodate the hitch pin w/ rear skid plate

Ldub
02/26/2009, 09:06 PM
only thing to look out for is that the hitch ldub has includes a "notch" cut out of it to fit the hitch pin.. otherwise the pin hole is half covered by the plate i thing.. i think that someone said they drilled another hole in their hitch to accommodate the hitch pin w/ rear skid plate

Not exactly, but close...:smilewink

I fabricated the hitch myself, so it's not to be mistaken for Tone's re: fitment etc., though it should be close in configuration.

Due to the longer length of my locking pin, I had to relocate the hole, lower & farther back, or it would make cantact with the decorative "blisters" on the skid plate...:sighwgray

A "normal" pin, with a bent end would "probably" (no guarantees) clear without any modification.

Eventually, I plan on a "do-over" making it even beefier than it is now.
As it is now, it has ridiculos amounts of 1/4" triangular gusseting incorporated into the plate that's bolted to the frame...:rolleyesg

If ya gonna build somethin', you might as well OVER build it...:naughty:

My apologies for the blatant T-J Rowhard...;)

etlsport
02/26/2009, 09:23 PM
hah dub i didnt know your hitch was custom.. or that it was you who moved the pin lol...

i meant to say the plate dub has.. not the hitch..
here is the notch i am talking about.. from ron's gallery

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/spmold2.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5876)

from posts i read he had 2 different rear plates.. 1 that was solid for vxs without a hitch there.. and 1 for vxs with a hitch that included the notch shown in the photo.. they were the same size and all, just one had a recess in the mold too allow for a pin

of course thats not to say it wouldnt work w/o it, i dont know for sure, never actually seen one of the rear plates in person, just wanted to give the heads up

rowhard
02/26/2009, 09:31 PM
hah dub i didnt know your hitch was custom.. or that it was you who moved the pin lol...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/spmold2.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5876)

from posts i read he had 2 different rear plates.. 1 that was solid for vxs without a hitch there.. and 1 for vxs with a hitch that included the notch shown in the photo

WOW, you just don't know how much I appreciate this info and drawing. I was planning on working on this issue this week end since I have Tone's frame mount hitch on my VX.

Ldub
02/26/2009, 09:32 PM

from posts i read he had 2 different rear plates.. 1 that was solid for vxs without a hitch there.. and 1 for vxs with a hitch that included the notch shown in the photo

OK, now I see what you meant by "notch".
I got mine from Beej, no notch, no cutout for the hitch, & massaged it a bit...:rolleyes:
Row, blatant T-J apologies are STILL in effect...:smilewink

don moore
02/26/2009, 09:35 PM
Im still waiting on the rejects..I wanted to paint them with rough paint for the rugged look..........hint hint

Ldub
02/26/2009, 09:42 PM
WOW, you just don't know how much I appreciate this info and drawing. I was planning on working on this issue this week end since I have Tone's frame mount hitch on my VX.

So we're forgiven for the Thread-Jack?...:angel:

rowhard
02/27/2009, 05:36 PM
So we're forgiven for the Thread-Jack?...:angel:
I don't know, seems related to me:confused:

rowhard
02/27/2009, 05:45 PM

i meant to say the plate dub has.. not the hitch..

from posts i read he had 2 different rear plates.. 1 that was solid for vxs without a hitch there.. and 1 for vxs with a hitch that included the notch shown in the photo.. they were the same size and all, just one had a recess in the mold too allow for a pin

of course thats not to say it wouldnt work w/o it, i dont know for sure, never actually seen one of the rear plates in person, just wanted to give the heads up

Okay, so am ready to tackle this problem. Having never seen a rear plate, with or without the notch, am thinking maybe a 1 inch dowel, cut in half, glued to a plate then making a mold from that. Is that the right size? I can WAG the length, just not sure of the diameter.:confused:

Ldub
03/02/2009, 06:26 AM
Okay, so am ready to tackle this problem. Having never seen a rear plate, with or without the notch, am thinking maybe a 1 inch dowel, cut in half, glued to a plate then making a mold from that. Is that the right size? I can WAG the length, just not sure of the diameter.:confused:

That sounds about right (1" dia), but you would want to glue it to the mold, not the plate, to make the indent...:confused:

Or am I looking at this wrong? (it wouldn't be the first time...:rolleyes:)

rowhard
03/02/2009, 08:51 AM
That sounds about right (1" dia), but you would want to glue it to the mold, not the plate, to make the indent...:confused:

Or am I looking at this wrong? (it wouldn't be the first time...:rolleyes:)

ah,..... good question. Think I wrote that when I was well into a bottle of Kentucky's finest. Think I need to do what you said, then make a plate to make another mold.:confused: This is getting to confusing.

Ldub
03/02/2009, 09:01 AM
Think I wrote that when I was well into a bottle of Kentucky's finest. Think I need to do what you said, then make a plate to make another mold.:confused: This is getting to confusing.

I believe what you're describing is called "corn-fusion" when Mr. Jack is involved...:laughgray

That reminds me...:rolleyes:

What is it called when hillbillies get re-incanated?...

re-in TAR nation...:rolleyesg

TheGanzman
03/02/2009, 10:21 AM
I believe what you're describing is called "corn-fusion" when Mr. Jack is involved...:laughgray

That reminds me...:rolleyes:

Hush your MOUTH, boy! Jack is made in Tennessee!!:cool:

Ldub
03/02/2009, 10:30 AM

LOL...:mbrasd:
I feel so baaayud...to reduce co$ts in these troubled economic time$, I've been refilling my "Tennessee Tranquilizer" bottle with Old Crow...call it "Crow Jack". It's no wonder I'm cornfused...:_confused
I know it's complete blasphemy (or something similar), but I'm a firm believer in the placebo effect...:laughgray

TheGanzman
03/02/2009, 10:59 AM
If you've sunk to THAT level, my advice is to euthanize yourself IMMEDIATELY!:bgwo:

pbkid
03/02/2009, 01:18 PM
LOL...:mbrasd:
I feel so baaayud...to reduce co$ts in these troubled economic time$, I've been refilling my "Tennessee Tranquilizer" bottle with Old Crow...call it "Crow Jack". It's no wonder I'm cornfused...:_confused
I know it's complete blasphemy (or something similar), but I'm a firm believer in the placebo effect...:laughgray

thats awesome, i have definately filled the grey goose bottles with McCormicks before...and everyone drinking it gets all psych'ed about drinking grey goose and they all talk about how 'smooth' it is....cracks me up...

rowhard
03/02/2009, 02:08 PM
who needs charcoal filtering anyway

Damn, think I hi-jacked my own thread

Ldub
03/02/2009, 02:40 PM
thats awesome, i have definately filled the grey goose bottles with McCormicks before...and everyone drinking it gets all psych'ed about drinking grey goose and they all talk about how 'smooth' it is....cracks me up...

Yep...perception is a HUGE aspect of life...:smilewink

who needs charcoal filtering anyway

Damn, think I hi-jacked my own thread

Sorry Row...got a little off the beam there...:mbrasd:

pbkid
03/02/2009, 02:49 PM
i was gonna say that we TJ'ed the crap outta this thread. lol

rowhard
03/05/2009, 02:57 PM
Yep, am ready to produce the fronts now.:)

vt_maverick
03/05/2009, 08:53 PM
Since thread-jacking is running rampant anyway, here's a question for the crowd: Do you think Isuzu intended the front, side, and rear skid plates on the VX-02 and VX-4 to be universally silver or keyed off the body color? I'm trying to decide whether I want one in silver or Foxfire, but can't make up my mind on which one would look more fluid...

Thoughts?

pbkid
03/05/2009, 09:03 PM
i personally dig the matching....

SilverBullet75
03/05/2009, 09:38 PM
I agree. When I get mine, I want it gloss black! I did it up on Photoshop and LOVED it! With chrome or SS bolts of course! :smilewink

Ldub
05/08/2009, 02:01 PM
Bump-doo

circmand
05/08/2009, 02:15 PM

Should be what is it called when hillbillies get re-incarnated?

re-tardation

johnnyapollo
05/08/2009, 02:41 PM
Some feedback on my rear skidplate (purchased from Ron at VXC) - even though there are detents on each side for the pin, at best I've only been able to put a manual "bent" style pin. There isn't enough room for the locking type (at least I haven't been able to find one that's small enough to fit).

-- John

rowhard
05/08/2009, 02:53 PM
John, thanks for the info and heads up on that. Have been slow leaking the project. Once back from Moab, will take my rear cladding off and see what I have to do to get it to work. I like Ldubs fix for the problem, move the hole, or I think it was him. I would take it one step farther and weld up the old hole.

LittleBeast
06/12/2009, 12:03 PM
So what are the chances of getting a full set front, rear, sides in '09?

rowhard
06/12/2009, 02:18 PM
So what are the chances of getting a full set front, rear, sides in '09?
Well, whats the chance of getting the Tee Shirt for Tone?

Actually, I am only doing the fronts right now, sorry

don moore
06/12/2009, 10:41 PM
ill take any throw aways you got. ..hint hint ...limmited income

Ldub
06/12/2009, 11:06 PM
Just wanted to say :thanx: to John for whippin' one out for me in time for Moab...:thumbup:

The quality of these is off the charts...WAY good!

As requested, mine was delivered unfinished.
As soon as time allows, (currently busy on my days off, rebuilding Mom's basement) I'm gonna do a step by step, from cutting to fit around my steel skid plate, to primer & paint.

Again, Thanks John, the extra effort & extraordinary product, is much appreciated!:yes:

rowhard
06/13/2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the good words Larry, hope it works out for you:gring: