PDA

View Full Version : Need Bilstein 5100 Part #s (yes, I've searched)

E-ZooZoo One
02/26/2009, 12:16 PM
I've spent the better part of 2 days looking at application and cross-reference charts...

I was able to find the part numbers for the Bilstein 'Heavy-Duty Series' shocks for a stock height Trooper, but NOTHING for the 5100s -- let alone for the 5100s on a OME 912 & cranked T-bar 3-inch-lifted Trooper/VX suspension.

I'm on my 2nd set of RS-9000x shocks, and they're shot, again...

I know that some of you are running/have run the 5100s, so I was really hoping maybe someone could point me in the right direction (before my head explodes from searching!)

Anyone?

Ldub
02/26/2009, 03:36 PM
Try pm'ing TAYLOR RICHIE...I believe he has bill's installed...:_wrench:

Ldub
02/26/2009, 08:46 PM
I knew the ol' memory would kick in eventually...:rolleyesg

You'll find the part #'s for the Bilsteins here:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13470&highlight=lift+thread

4X4 UFO
02/26/2009, 09:43 PM
Ldub,
I think he was looking for Bilstein numbers for the 5100 series. I think that all the numbers mentioned in that thread refer to the 1700 series, which is what I and a few others have installed. I'm not sure I've seen the exact numbers for the 5100 series.......

Randy

Ldub
02/26/2009, 09:47 PM
Ldub,
I think he was looking for Bilstein numbers for the 5100 series. I think that all the numbers mentioned in that thread refer to the 1700 series, which is what I and a few others have installed. I'm not sure I've seen the exact numbers for the 5100 series.......

Randy

Ohfercryin'outloud...LOL, GOOD CATCH!

When I saw "Bilstein", I just made a false ASSumption...my apologies...:mbrasd:

Jolly Roger VX'er
02/26/2009, 10:58 PM
I'm pretty darn sure AlaskaVX ran the 5100 series bilstein's with piggyback resevoirs and he had issues when doing off-roading...I'll search the links & post them for you.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=7619

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4773&highlight=bilstein

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4542&highlight=bilstein

WiSDoM
02/27/2009, 06:53 AM
i haven't read those threads you just posted, but i do remember him having problems with the rear shocks breaking because they were to tall or something. might want to PM him and find out..

E-ZooZoo One
02/27/2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the replies!

Re: the first link...

I knew the ol' memory would kick in eventually...:rolleyesg

You'll find the part #'s for the Bilsteins here:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13470&highlight=lift+thread

Bilstein Shocks

Front - B46-1738-H2 (H1 option for more stiffness)
Rear - B46-1739-H1

FROM VEHIGAZ
"I installed these on my VX (H1's in front) a couple years back, and while they are an excellent choice for the VX with a very close-to-stock ride, the rears are probably stiffer than they need to be, and a softer one might be appropriate for the VX. After all, these Bilstein models are actually the ones they recommend for the Trooper (they don't have a recommendation for the VX), and the longer Trooper probably carries more weight on the rear axle, requiring a stiffer shock to counteract the additional inertia."

I ended up going with the Bilstein shocks, and I'm very happy*with my choice. H2s up front and H1s in the rear. I keep a heavy tool box in the rear, and from the front the rear shocks feel great. My rear seat passengers would argue that though... but I don't think anything will feel good to someone sitting directly over the rear axle.

From the above passage I've now learned the difference between the H1 and H2 designation, as well as the part number for a lifted* Isuzu 3-link rear…
(* I failed to find any such thing in Bilstein’s latest Application Chart PDF).

I started this search under the assumption that the Bilstein Heavy-Duty Series shocks wouldn’t be firm enough for the VX – however, from what VEHIGAZ said, it sounds like the H1s might be just the ticket, and a fair-bit cheaper than the 5100s to boot.

But, let’s say that I still wanted to go with the 5100s…
According to my research, the KYB MonoMax shocks that possess the correct mount fittings and seem to best match the extension and compression requirements of a lifted Isuzu Trooper/VX are the ones specified for the 1984-85 Toyota Pickup/4-Runner (Part #s: Front: 565042 and Rear: 565052)…

Using the compression and extension figures from the above shocks, I was then able to determine that the Bilstein 5100 application for the 1960-82 Toyota FJ40 (Part #s: Front: BE5-6251-H5 and Rear: BE5-6253-H5) are the closest thing available to a perfect match – but what I don’t know is if their mount fittings will work on a Trooper/VX (or if the H5 designation would be correct).

I now refer you back to that part about my head exploding :eekgray: :laughgray

E-ZooZoo One
02/27/2009, 08:41 AM
Re: the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th links...

After reading them, I'm heading downstairs right now for some Migraine-Strength Advil gel caps :eek:

E-ZooZoo One
11/13/2009, 11:09 AM
BTT...

UPDATE:
Since Feb., I picked-up a used set of RS-9000x shocks for the rear of my OME 912-lifted VX -- and I've since blown them out too :upsetgray

I am now once again looking at KYB Monomax & Bilstein 5100 shocks as the front-runners for suitable replacement. --- My (ongoing) research shows that the 5100s are presently available for the 1984-85 4Runner (where I was completely unable to find part numbers before), which would have the correct fittings and lengths, f&r, for a lifted VX/Trooper...

Those part numbers being:

F4 - B46 - 0425 - H0 (front)
F4 - B46 - 1140 - H1 (rear)

But this raises the firmness issue of H2 vs. H1 vs. H0...
As noted earlier in this thread, the H1 is supposed to be firmer than the H2 -- So, does that mean that the H0 is even firmer still???

If so, then I believe that I may (finally!) have found my new shocks :smilewink

Anyone care to weigh-in here?

Cheers!
Smiley

Ldub
11/13/2009, 12:19 PM
Anyone care to weigh-in here?

Cheers!
Smiley

I maintain a "normal for me" weight of around 230 lbs....:yesgray:

E-ZooZoo One
11/14/2009, 09:52 AM