PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion on tires

isaac65
02/24/2009, 08:08 PM
I'm going to need some new tires soon and wanted to get an opinion on these that I found on Tirerack. They're the least expensive tire they have for the VX but reviews seem ok. I just need a decent tire for daily driving and maybe some light off-road like on sand, gravel, and some loose dirt trails. The price is very attractive since it will save a lot of money up front.

I'll be getting some serious wheels and tires this summer for some real fun.
But for now, do you think these would do? (http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EA9&url=/tires/tires.jsp&tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+798&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=46HR8798&fromCompare1=yes&place=0&speed_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&load_rating=S&load_rating=RF&load_rating=XL&load_rating=C&load_rating=D&load_rating=E&load_rating=F&load_rating=G&minSpeedRating=S)

tom4bren
02/25/2009, 05:46 AM
Any tire that fits will work OK in general terms. It all depends on what your 'druthers are - longevity, high speed on pavement, mudding, slick rock, snow, ...

You said that you are getting another set later (assume more agressive) so these should be fine for daily driving.

My $.02.

LittleBeast
02/25/2009, 10:42 AM
Nitto Terra Grapplers for what you described seem like the best choice.

I have ordered from these guys in the past and can say they are totally reliable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-NEW-285-60-18-NITTO-TERRA-GRAPPLER-TIRES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3 a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293 Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZit em260366198158QQitemZ260366198158QQptZMotorsQ5fCar Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

tomdietrying
02/25/2009, 11:54 AM
X2 what LittleBeast just said...............You will not go wrong with Nitto Terra Grapplers.
Peace.
Tom

isaac65
02/25/2009, 07:02 PM
X2 what LittleBeast just said...............You will not go wrong with Nitto Terra Grapplers.
Peace.
Tom

Damn, yeah those would be nice, but I really can't afford them right now especially since the Kumho's are less than half their price.

And realistically, I probably wouldn't end up getting new rims and tires in the summer for off-roading now that I think about it. It'd be nice, but I wouldn't want to get rid of my stock rims and I don't want to be stuck with something I can't off-road in at least once in a while. Those Nitto's would be perfect for daily driving and some off-roading once in a while on weekends.

However, I did find these... (http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/1010084251.html)

What do you guys think? Should I craigslist it for now until I can get some new Nitto's ones later? And if so, does $300 sound fair?
If these are really at 50%, now long do you think they'd last if I only drive about an hour a day? And shoot, now that I think about it, when school is out for the summer, I'd be doing even less driving (I'm a teacher). These could last me quite a while.

pbkid
02/25/2009, 08:28 PM
looks like a great deal to me...

Riff Raff
02/25/2009, 11:00 PM
Hmmm; 50% worn out, play "hard ball" with him and offer him $200 or nothing!!! Especially, in today's economic climate-- he'll sell (he's probably hurtin' for money anyway). Tell him you're still gonna have an additional expense of getting them mounted and balanced, etc.

isaac65
02/26/2009, 03:40 PM
Hmmm; 50% worn out, play "hard ball" with him and offer him $200 or nothing!!! Especially, in today's economic climate-- he'll sell (he's probably hurtin' for money anyway). Tell him you're still gonna have an additional expense of getting them mounted and balanced, etc.

Thanks for the tip.
I talked him down to $150 for all four, haha. And had him measure the tread on em and they're almost exactly half worn.

So, I guess I'll use these and test em out to see if I like em and in the mean time I can save up for some brand new ones.

Thanks for the help guys!

P.S. You guys sure these would fit on my stock VX? She's not raised or anything and has the stock 18" wheels.

Riff Raff
02/26/2009, 06:32 PM
$150 ??? (Ah ha, I knew he was deperate) Sweeeeeeeet!!! Yes, the 285/60R18 will fit fine with little or no rubbing IF mounted on the OEM Stock 18x7 rims. Using the OEM Stock 18x7 rim is truly the "secret" to keeping everything neatly tucked inside the wheelwells as they have the proper offset and backspacing you will want to maintain. Using aftermarket wheels on the VX is where you begin to encounter major rubbing issues, so stick with your OEM Stock 18x7 rims.

Just realize that the Nitto Terra Grappler's are quite a bit heavier tire (55 lbs each if they are "LT" series), so your VX launch, MPG, and braking will suffer in a negative manner. Remember, your OEM tires for the VX weighed only 34 lbs each, so now you're putting on an extra 21 lbs (84 lbs total) of more tire fat (unsprung weight).

When it's time to shop for your "dream tire", try to focus your tire search for "P" series (aka "P-Metric") tires only, as they are at least 10 lbs lighter than their heavy "LT" series twin.

Consider these two specific tires for your next "dream tire":

Pro-Comp A/T - P285/60R18 (31.4" O.D./43 lbs)
General Grabber AT2 - P275/65R18 (32" O.D./44 lbs)

Try to stay clear of all "LT" series tires, as they are just way too damn heavy for the sporty & nimble VX.

Ldub
02/26/2009, 07:40 PM
Try to stay clear of all "LT" series tires, as they are just way too damn heavy for the sporty & nimble VX.

Unless you wanna be doing a bit more serious offroading...and like the idea of more puncture resistant sidewalls...:rolleyes:

LittleBeast
02/27/2009, 01:35 PM
P.S. You guys sure these would fit on my stock VX? She's not raised or anything and has the stock 18" wheels.

Awesome, glad you found some, yes you can check my gallery for the 285/60/18, that is what came on my VX when I bought it in Chicago. You will not have to do anything to the rear wheel wells at all. On the front you might have to trim a 1/2 inch triangle out of the very front inside plastic, but some people do not even do this.