PDA

View Full Version : Started the season off with a bang!

Triathlete
02/22/2009, 08:14 PM
Today was the first race of the season. I did the TriSports.com Desert Classic Duathlon (http://www.desertclassicduathlon.com/) which consisted of a 3.5 mile run/21 mile bike/2.7 mile run. The race was one of two qualifiers for the Duathlon World Championships so the competition was fast and deep. The first run starts off with a fast slightly downhill paved road for about 1/2 mile then turns off onto a twisting narrow technical trail. Everyone goes out hard to get good positioning before the trail section. I was in the lead group and stayed there as some of the others began to fall of the pace. Had a fast transition and then headed off on the bike. The bike course is an out and back with no flat areas...you are either going up or going down! I maintained my position give or take a spot or two and was feeling pretty good. Oh yea, forgot to mention the wind was picking up also...it was a near perfect 73 degrees out (gotta love Arizona winters). Had another quick transition and headed out for the second run. The second run starts off with about 1/2 mile of pavement which then turns to gravel and the turns onto another trail. This trail is full of twists and turns and then goes up a short but steep hill. Oh how that hill hurts...the sad part is the downhill is even steeper and hurts nearly as much. Then it is back to the gravel section and onto the road for the last fast part to the finish. I finished in 1:40 which was good enough for 5th in my age group (in a stacked field). I was 5 minutes faster than last year and PR'd by 1 minute!
Special thanks go out to Victor (VCamilo) for the great hospitality and a couch to crash out on!:thanx:

pbkid
02/22/2009, 09:32 PM
wow, nicely done billy!!! getting better is the key :)

congrats :)

etlsport
02/22/2009, 10:37 PM
awesome :thumbup: i started training for my first triathlon this month, its not for a while but i figure i should get started soon and i may even be able to be competitive in it

tom4bren
02/23/2009, 07:53 AM
'Grats dude - sounds quite impressive from the couch potato perspective.

Triathlete
02/23/2009, 08:46 AM
etlsport, what race are you doing?

etlsport
02/23/2009, 09:09 AM
its a local event called MarshMan (takes place in marsh creek state park)... i think its 1/4 mile, 15 miles, 5 miles

Triathlete
02/23/2009, 09:53 AM
Cool! Let me know if you have any questions on training, equipment or anything else. It can be addictive. Have fun and good luck!

etlsport
02/27/2009, 09:09 PM
thanks... im in pretty good shape as is.. i can do all 3 of the parts separately in good time.. just a matter of being able to do them one after the other

during a bike ride today i did have a minor setback.. i got hit (more bumped) by a lady in a honda odyssey that sent me face first into the asphalt.. she didnt even get out of her car.. rolled down the window and did an oh im sorry are u okay? as im spitting out blood.. sigh.. i finished up my ride and patched up.. nothin too serious.. bloody nose, few scrapes on my chin and a split upper lip.. my poor bike is pretty scuffed up though :cryb: it was so shiny!

pbkid
02/27/2009, 10:33 PM
oh crap....be careful out there.

you know, they are bigger than you...even if they are SUPPOSED to stop, they usually dont..

i almost got smacked on my longboard one time and then i decided it was better to watch for them because of the idiot drivers out there.

don moore
02/28/2009, 09:48 PM
remember billy when you get out here to call me