PDA

View Full Version : Kinda of freaking out. Just purchased my first VX on ebay. Now what...

Osteomata
02/22/2009, 04:22 PM
Hi, I probably should have made my first post on these forums in the "Introduce Yourself" thread, but I have a couple of specific areas/questions about which the combined wisdom of the assembled might provide some guidance.

I just bought a 2001 VX on ebay. I have not paid yet, the auction just closed within the hour, and I need to move some money around in order to back the paypal price. I will also need to arrange shipping from New York to Florida.

So my questions:
1. The seller has a 99.2% positive rating with over 400 sales, including some vehicles, so it sounds safe, but should I ask for anything else before transmitting the money?

2. I have never shipped a car, but I did get an online estimate before bidding. Any advice about working this process?

3. Any general advice to make this transaction go smooth?

I am about as thrilled as I could be to joing the VX owner community.

- Jack

Rubicool
02/22/2009, 05:48 PM
I was sooo close to bidding on that.........congrats and good luck! Still looking for mine :(

rowhard
02/22/2009, 05:59 PM
Well, can't give you any info on buying a VX on ebay, but as far as shipping goes, don't go with the low ball bid, it will just sit on the board. Of course, if it was earlier, you might luck out with the new yorkers shipping their cars to Florida, but that is from my one time experience of shipping my VX from Virgina to Washington state. And welcome to the addiction

JoFotoz
02/22/2009, 06:22 PM
Congrats...that must be the Proton with 35,000...

...good price !

A few tips

If the seller will agree , put money in an agreed escrow account till ya get the vehicle and it meets the stated condition.

Try this guy for a shipping quote....Joshua Tel:- 1-714-450-0156.
He shipped one for me from Atlanta to San Diego for $700...tell him Jo in San Diego recommended him.

Be prepared to get addicted to owning a VX!!!;)

Now we return to your scheduled broadcast of the Oscars!

jo

Gussie2000
02/22/2009, 07:03 PM
Hi OS !

Welcome to the addiction.

You should check the search link to see if the previous owner was/is a member of the board based on the last 4 VIN numbers.

A carfak/experian auto background check wouldn't hurt either.

Where is this VX located ?

If is located within the NYC area i can drive by & do a "CSI" overview for you

Y33TREKker
02/22/2009, 07:05 PM
Oh, just fly to NY and drive it back. I mean, what better way to acclimate yourself to VX ownership than by driving all the way down the eastern coast while getting stared at the whole way? Besides....you know you want to. :cool:

Don't know that much about shipping vehicles, but maybe someone on this site from NY will chime in and offer to help with some of the details on that end?

Anyway, welcome to the site, and allow me to introduce myself as the owner of your VX's neighbor as it rolled down the assembly line. My '01 Ebonys' VIN# ends in 939. (OK, so maybe that's not actually true given the weird serial numbering system Isuzu used between '99 and '01, but that's the story I'm going with.)

Y33TREKker
02/22/2009, 07:07 PM
Don't know that much about shipping vehicles, but maybe someone on this site from NY will chime in and offer to help with some of the details on that end?

If is located within the NYC area i can drive by & do a "CSI" overview for you
Missed it by THAT much. :smilewink

Osteomata
02/22/2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks to all for the quick replies. An active forum is a solid indicator of the closeness of any community.

JoFotoz, yes, thats the one. And thanks for the shipping lead, I'l check into it.

Gussie2000, I did an experian background check, very clean. The care is apparently located in Delmar, NY. Not sure where that is.

- Jack

Gussie2000
02/22/2009, 07:11 PM
Ok,let me check the google map to see how far.

Cheez;Sorry my friend,the VX is 5 hours away.

Delmar is a small city near albany upstate NY.

pbkid
02/22/2009, 09:29 PM
congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the family/addiction :cool:

now make the trip to moab with the rest of us in may :)

great way to get to know some other VX'ers and get ALL of your questions and curiosities answered...

Riff Raff
02/23/2009, 04:55 AM
OSTEOMATA--- Welcome to the "Proton Family"!!!

I too, bought my Proton on eBay last year. Here's what you need to do:

"DO NOT" SEND ANY MONEY VIA PAL-PAL (very dangerous); Rather, Send money only via "ESCROW.COM" (this is really important)!!! ESCROW.COM is the only recommended way endorsed by eBay itself to conduct an eBay vehicle monetary transaction. Go to "ESCROW.COM" and read-up on the whole process. Normally, the "buyer" (you) is responsible to pay any escrow fees. It's very cheap, as a $7,500 purchase price only costs about $125 Escrow Fee (well worth the peace of mind of not possibly getting ripped-off).

Regarding shipping-- I had my VX shipped by D.A.S. (Dependable Auto Shippers). They are also endorsed by eBay as the best auto transport company. D.A.S. is by far the cheapest and the largest auto shipper in the USA. They also have multiple "drop-off"/"pick-up" terminals located throughout the USA (very nice feature, and saves you money by using an authorized D.A.S. terminal point). Last year, it only cost me $850 to ship my VX from Chicago, IL to Tacoma, WA. D.A.S. takes great pride in their business, and my VX arrived without a scratch. Plus, you can call their toll-free number and actually "track" the shipment via the assigned tracking number while it's in transit (very cool). You will know exactly where your VX is at all times!!!

I absolutely "DO NOT" recommend flying out there to pick-up the VX and driving it back home. The total combined cost of Air Fare, Hotels, Food, Gas, your Personal Time, and resulting Lost Wages/Vacation Time, etc is absolutely not worth it. It's way, way cheaper just to have the VX shipped by D.A.S., and gives you total peace of mind.

So there you go--- Use ESCROW.COM as the "conduit" to conduct the money transfer. Use D.A.S. (Dependable Auto Shippers) for auto transport shipping.

Again, welcome to the Proton Family!!!

VehiGAZ
02/23/2009, 06:31 AM
Cheez;Sorry my friend,the VX is 5 hours away.

Five hours from NYC to Albany?!?! It's only 150 miles! Gussie, you should buy my supercharged VX - yours isn't fast enough. :)

PS - I hope your exhaust work goes well...

tom4bren
02/23/2009, 07:18 AM
You're in luck. New York to Miami should be on the major trade routes. I had mine shipped from Mo to VA and it took about 3 weeks since it wasn't on the major routes.

VX KAT
02/23/2009, 07:52 AM
As another newby to the addiction- welcome!

I agree with RiffRaff- Use DAS- Dependable Auto Shippers. www.dasautoshippers.com Plus you can get a good solid quote online w/o even contacting them. Mine was right on the nose.

I made shipping inquiries to several "on-line" operations & was flooded with emails trying everything to get me to sign up. They promised the moon and it was all bunk....WATCH OUT FOR THESE CROOKS. :madp: I'm STILL getting email solicitations from one of them! I was "quoted" like $450 multiple times....NO WAY, stick with the credible shippers, otherwise, they hold your car hostage until you pay for the sudden "additional" charges that arise. If it sounds to good to be true.....

Like RR said, DAS is the officially sanctioned shipper on eBay. They did take care of my vehicle 100%. You can save some money by having it delivered to one of their "terminals". I drove about 75 miles to p/u my VX, saved about $75. OK, it was a wash with gas for 2 vehicles for 75 miles, but like Y33trekker said, you WANT TO DRIVE IT NOW! Plus they have this really cool tracking system so you can look at Google maps and it shows you exactly where the truck is....for us Type A's who were anxious to get their car!

I shipped mine from Virginia to Arizona 2 months ago over xmas time for $995. You can pay more for a closed transporter if you want.

Osteomata
02/23/2009, 12:28 PM
Making progress: Payment arranged. Internet quote received from DAS. (Thanks for that recommendation). Seller has agreed to drop the car off at the local DAS point.

Seller and I have clarified two points that were a little unclear from the ebay ad:
1) The VX has minor front cladding cover damage (this was clear in the ad) Turns out the seller already obtained a new front cladding, but he will not have time to install it. So I get both, the damage one as attached, and the new one thrown in the back.

2) The VX does not have a back seat. I misread the ad to indicate that the owner had it, and that it would be available. Not so: we have no idea if the original owner still has it. Looks like this thing will be coming without a back seat. How hard, and how expensive, will that be to replace? 2001 black/grey.

- Jack

4X4 UFO
02/23/2009, 12:59 PM
Osteomata,
The back seat is easy to install. Many owners have their back seats set up where they can be taken out or replaced in a few minutes. Also, many owners never use their back seat, so they may be interested in selling one to you. You might start a "wanted to buy" thread to see if anyone is interested in selling.......
Welcome to the addiction!

Randy

Y33TREKker
02/23/2009, 01:03 PM
Well, the fly and drive suggestion was something of a joke made in good fun, although from past responses, it has turned out to be a cool experience for a few people on this site who have chosen that method of purchase, myself included. And depending on the person and their particular situation, the distance involved, etc, it doesn't have to turn into that expensive an adventure either, but everyone is different so to each his own. Speaking only for myself though, the most descriptive word in that last sentence for my fly and drive purchase experience was adventure. I personally thought it was a great way to begin ownership, and had a great time, so to me it was worth the $$$.

tom4bren
02/23/2009, 01:23 PM
Try the link to the thread below. He still had the back seat available as of last Saturday.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14842

VehiGAZ
02/23/2009, 01:36 PM
1) The VX has minor front cladding cover damage (this was clear in the ad) Turns out the seller already obtained a new front cladding, but he will not have time to install it. So I get both, the damage one as attached, and the new one thrown in the back.

It's like a 30 minute job to completely replace the front cladding. You'll need a Torx screw-driver (don't recall the number, but it's a common size) and a socket wrench (10 or 12 mm I think). Do a little search-and-read here first to learn how to disconnect the small round marker lights. I think they twist to unlock and pull out the back side of the cladding. This is easier than disconnecting the bulb wire harness, IIRC.

A good while-you're-in-there concurrent project is to refinish the headlight lenses if they need them.

Good luck!!

VX KAT
02/23/2009, 01:51 PM
I listed by back seats for sale earlier this month. $150 OBO+ shipping. Like new. Let me know if you're interested or want pics.

Osteomata
02/23/2009, 02:37 PM
I listed by back seats for sale earlier this month. $150 OBO+ shipping. Like new. Let me know if you're interested or want pics.

VX KAT,
That sounds like something I want to pursue with you, but give me a couple fo days to confirm the status of the original back seat. Care to check on shipping to 33140? Or freight shipping to any drop off point in Miami might be a lot cheaper I guess.
- Jack

Mark B
02/23/2009, 02:56 PM
Congrads, another VX in Florida.
I bought my VX on ebay about 3 years ago.
Best Vehicle I have ever owned.
It was in Davie Florida. I drove from Tampa Bay area and picked up.
It was purchased from the original owner and in excellend condition.
Welcome to the club.

Marlin
02/23/2009, 03:52 PM
Well, the fly and drive suggestion was something of a joke made in good fun, although from past responses, it has turned out to be a cool experience for a few people on this site who have chosen that method of purchase, myself included. And depending on the person and their particular situation, the distance involved, etc, it doesn't have to turn into that expensive an adventure either, but everyone is different so to each his own. Speaking only for myself though, the most descriptive word in that last sentence for my fly and drive purchase experience was adventure. I personally thought it was a great way to begin ownership, and had a great time, so to me it was worth the $$$.

I flew to Columbus, OH on 26DEC08 and drove mine back to Charleston,SC. It was awesome!!! I got to know my baby, and you wouldn't even recognize her now. I got about 22mpg or so at 70ish mph. I say fly, if you can take the time off and have the money!!! Swing by Charleston, I would love to compare Protons.

Gussie2000
02/24/2009, 07:53 AM
Five hours from NYC to Albany?!?! It's only 150 miles! Gussie, you should buy my supercharged VX - yours isn't fast enough. :)

PS - I hope your exhaust work goes well...

Hehehe I quite sure your VX is faster then mines friend...at least when you go over 5k rpm though.From my location the
Ride is 5 hours, I mean,5 hours just to look at a car without being the buyer is a lil dificult to swallow.
About the exhaust oh man those mufflers roars like a lion.I splited the Y connection that comes down from the headers & now they are running on a single 2" pipes each one.The VX gained more acceleration power.

tom4bren
02/24/2009, 09:10 AM
"It's like a 30 minute job to completely replace the front cladding."

While you have it off, check for rust on the tubing behind it. Several members have noticed significant rust so go to town with the rustoleum while the cladding is off.

circmand
02/25/2009, 07:33 AM
You're in luck. New York to Miami should be on the major trade routes. I had mine shipped from Mo to VA and it took about 3 weeks since it wasn't on the major routes.

I had a Jensen Healey shipped from Houston right after the hurricane to Bullhead City AZ I had the car 5 days after I hired the company. Yeah that was extreemly lucky they had 4 going to Vegas from Houston the next day so they picked it up the day after I called and then were here in 3 days.

tom4bren
02/25/2009, 08:21 AM
"they picked it up the day after I called and then were here in 3 days"

You sir, are 1 lucky MoFo - obviously I'm not.:)

circmand
02/25/2009, 01:34 PM
lucky at cars

unlucky at every other godamn thing:smilewink:bwgy::bwgr::bgwp:

Osteomata
02/25/2009, 04:03 PM
Continued thanks for the welcome and info. An update: Payment sent, confirmed received by the seller, transport arranged.

So far, I am only looking at one hang up: The transport company, DAS, told me nothing can be in the truck. Problem is the seller ordered a new front cladding, and does not want to expend the labor to install it, and DAS told me this rather large part can't just sit in the back of the truck. The seller plans on contacting the transport guys to see what he can swing. Assuming the transport guys stick with this policy, the easiest solution might be just push the dealer into doing the cladding swap, but I don't like that option because I want the old cladding as well. Frankly, it looks usable for a VX modder who wants to cut down the front cladding for a lifted high clearance set up, but is hesitant to do so to his original cladding. I may be off on this, but I want to have the opportunity to assess it myself. Any thoughts on this much appreciated.

- Jack

pbkid
02/25/2009, 04:58 PM
i would completely agree, especially since you already paid him that price with the understanding that it would come with a new front cladding...so it should come with the new front cladding...

and you should recieve the old one....

and yes, if its in decent shape, you could probably sell it for someone looking to mod thiers a little ;)

tom4bren
02/26/2009, 05:53 AM
"The transport company, DAS, told me nothing can be in the truck."

Keep checking into it. That's what the vendor told me too but when they contracted with the actual transporter, he had no issue with 4 wheel/tires in the back. Let them know that the item (although large) weighs less than 30 lbs & that the transporter will not be responsible for that item's condition upon arrival. They shouldn't have any issues with that.

Riff Raff
02/26/2009, 05:55 AM
OS (Jack)--- If my back was flat up against the wall because of the D.A.S. policy, then I'd push the issue (or maybe even pay/split the extra labor money) to have to new replacement cladding installed BEFORE shipment via D.A.S.

Given a choice between having only one cladding, then I would definately opt for the new replacement cladding be installed (prior to shipment) and get the VX back to prestine condition. Worry about mod's later on.

Still, perhaps this might be the BEST option: If you really wanted both front claddings, you could have the new replacement cladding "re-boxed" (cardboard box) and shipped separately via UPS Freight to your home in Florida. Just extra pay the seller to have his local UPS Store "Pack-n-Ship" it. This might even be a cheaper method than having to pay for the high-priced "shop labor" rates of having the dealership swap front claddings (which you would still only get to keep one because of the D.A.S. policy).

By having the new replacement cladding shipped separately, you would eventually end up with both in Florida-- the VX arrives via D.A.S., and the new front replacement cladding arrives via UPS Freight (problem solved). Riff Raff

TheGanzman
02/26/2009, 06:29 AM
Have the new cladding installed, then have the seller take the old cladding down to the local Bus Station, slap a label on it, and ship it to YOUR local Bus Station. Cheapest shipping method out there, and for some reason, one of the best-kept secrets!

VehiGAZ
02/26/2009, 07:02 AM
Have the new cladding installed, then have the seller take the old cladding down to the local Bus Station, slap a label on it, and ship it to YOUR local Bus Station. Cheapest shipping method out there, and for some reason, one of the best-kept secrets!

Shipping is the way to go, and this is the best way to ship big, bulky items. Go Greyhound (http://www.shipgreyhound.com/)!

Y33TREKker
02/26/2009, 07:03 AM
What kind of "truck" does the shipper think you have? Maybe they are thinking that you have a regular pickup truck, are just planning to have the box containing the cladding in the bed (which would make it very succeptible to theft), and don't want to be held responsible.

If the new cladding can be removed from the box and put in the VX's cargo area for transport, everything else would be the same as far as what the transporter was responsible for.

Riff Raff
02/26/2009, 07:16 AM

TheGanzman--- I disagree. Then the guy (OS-Jack) has to pay "twice". Your method requires "labor payment" for the swapping of the cladding; PLUS, "shipment cost" to separately transport the other cladding.

The "Mission" at hand is for OS-Jack (in Florida) to be able to keep both front cladding parts with minimal overall cost. However, your idea of using the Bus Station may be an alternate option of using UPS Freight. But the front cladding (although somewhat lightweight) is extremely BULKY to handle and may not fit easily under a standard commercial bus storage compartment along with people's suitcases/baggage as opposed to a spacious UPS (or FedEx, etc) Semi-Trailer.

TheGanzman
02/26/2009, 07:41 AM
Well, I worked at Port Authority NYC Bus Terminal for three years, loading and unloading Greyhound & Trailways buses; I can tell ya' firsthand that I must have loaded/unloaded about 197 chrome bumpers in those years, LOL. And that was back in the '70's, when cars had hoods the size of pool tables!

Of course, the best way to go would be to schmooze the driver into letting that wayward cladding make the trip w/in the safe interior confines of the VX...

Riff Raff
02/26/2009, 09:53 AM
Agreed.

circmand
02/26/2009, 03:18 PM
he could position and decorate so the extra cladding looks like it belongs in the cargo area as a cover or hide hole or cargo hutch? Its not like they get inside and snoop around.

Gussie2000
02/26/2009, 05:05 PM
OS (Jack)--- If my back was flat up against the wall because of the D.A.S. policy, then I'd push the issue (or maybe even pay/split the extra labor money) to have to new replacement cladding installed BEFORE shipment via D.A.S.

Given a choice between having only one cladding, then I would definately opt for the new replacement cladding be installed (prior to shipment) and get the VX back to prestine condition. Worry about mod's later on.

Still, perhaps this might be the BEST option: If you really wanted both front claddings, you could have the new replacement cladding "re-boxed" (cardboard box) and shipped separately via UPS Freight to your home in Florida. Just extra pay the seller to have his local UPS Store "Pack-n-Ship" it. This might even be a cheaper method than having to pay for the high-priced "shop labor" rates of having the dealership swap front claddings (which you would still only get to keep one because of the D.A.S. policy).

By having the new replacement cladding shipped separately, you would eventually end up with both in Florida-- the VX arrives via D.A.S., and the new front replacement cladding arrives via UPS Freight (problem solved). Riff Raff

It can't be better another way

Osteomata
02/28/2009, 06:38 PM
Progress! Das Auto Shippers tracking system confirms my VX has been dropped off at there place in Schenectady, NY.

Seller and I have agreed that he will ship the extra cladding seperately. I passed on to him the Greyhound bus idea for shipping bulky stuff.

-Os

Gussie2000
02/28/2009, 06:56 PM
HI OS !

that's good news though.

I guess every thing is straight now you should have your new toy at home about a week + time.

Since you become a member the last two weeks or so you shall also have all you home work done gathering the info needed;However 'll remain you :

Oil change as soon as possible for synthetic (MOBIL 1)

Check all the rest of the fluids T-case,trans & differentials;Flush & change if need to.Royal purple is the most common fluid & highly recommended by the VX community

Change coolant & have the brake system checked.

Another thing i'll also do is to steam wash the under body & lube it since upstate NY roads gets a lot of salt due winter season.

With all this stuffs done the fun begins & you're officially a VX'er

Again......... WELCOME TO THE VX WORLD

Osteomata
02/28/2009, 07:28 PM
Wow, thanks for the to do list. Would never have thought of the steam cleaning of the undercarriage. I will have to look into that one. Thanks again...
- Jack

don moore
02/28/2009, 09:33 PM
kool..welcome to the gang...

Gussie2000
02/28/2009, 11:08 PM
Wow, thanks for the to do list. Would never have thought of the steam cleaning of the undercarriage. I will have to look into that one. Thanks again...
- Jack

You are welcome. :)

Share some pics whenever you got the chance

VX KAT
03/02/2009, 07:41 PM
Thought of one more thing for you ostemata.....
I didn't think to check the air pressure in tires when it was delivered. (Might have had something to do with it being cold, raining buckets and it was in a dirt storage yard.....mud). Drove it 75 miles home, noticed pretty hard ride (but thought that was normal for VX). Checked psi next morning (cold) and they were 45 psi!!! Max on my tires was listed at 48!!! :freek:
Mechanic told me DAS does that so there won't be any flat spots develop while being shipped. So make sure you take a tire gauge to check and adjust psi.:yes:

Osteomata
03/03/2009, 10:19 AM
Thanks, KAT, I'll take a gauge. Still got that back seat? Did you get a chance to check shipping cost to Miami Beach?
- Jack