PDA

View Full Version : The 1/4 inch Mod?

dtruax
07/17/2003, 09:07 PM
O.K - I removed the stock sway bar connector, jacked up the car by the cross-member and waited untill the tire came off of the ground. I thought that since it is supposed to have more travel, it would have much more articulation, and the car would have to be jacked up really high before the tire would go off the ground. Funny thing, it came off the ground same as normal, and I could actually still reconnect the sway bar connector, but it was about 1/4 lower.

Does the ball joint flip have to be done in order for this mod to give you more than 1/4 more articulation?

Moncha
07/17/2003, 09:14 PM
In Moab, Tone and I went up the RTI ramp.. He disconnected his sways and I left mine alone so we could get a comparison.

If I remember right .. and I don't,
Moncha had a score of like 574 and Tone's had 690..
Tone might remember better than me.. You do get some articulation differences.

The BJF only come into play when you have a lift of 2 or more inches according to Matt at Independant 4x4.

dtruax
07/17/2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Moncha
In Moab, Tone and I went up the RTI ramp.. He disconnected his sways and I left mine alone so we could get a comparison.

If I remember right .. and I don't,
Moncha had a score of like 574 and Tone's had 690..
Tone might remember better than me.. You do get some articulation differences.

The BJF only come into play when you have a lift of 2 or more inches according to Matt at Independant 4x4.

I can't figure it out - I've got a 3" lift and am wondering if something else could be the limiter. I'll try the BJF and report back if it gets me more that 1/4"

BigMeatVX
07/17/2003, 10:46 PM
There is a little bit more to this....This should help....

If you just jack up the truck untill the tires a off the ground, you will see NO improvment of downward suspension travel. (after the disconect)...

The advantage is, that in an offroad situation, where one front tire is up on an obstical (A-arm is botomming out on the bumpstop) and the other front tire is down in a hole; In this situation the tires are "fighting" each other ....
the sway bar is being heavily twisted.....

If the upper tire is "stuffed" into the fender so that it is in the maximum UPPER position, the sway bar will NOT allow the other tire to drop to the maximum LOWER position....disconcect it and the tires will articulate more independently and allow better travel in a extreme "crossed-up" situation

The other mod, the ball joint mount flip, DOES increase the downward travel by more than 1" especially with the use of a spacer....

After the BJMF, if you jack up the truck you will see an improvement in downward travel, and you will have to jack the truck up higher to get the tires to come off the ground...

BTW...My VX will ramp nearly 950 (w/o the front swaybar, BJMF with 1/2" spacer, trimmed bumpstops Frt/Rr, longer shocks in the rear, longer rear springs) But if you want this kind of performanc you MUST drop the front axle 2" to keep the CV axles from getting too much angle at these new travel lengths