PDA

View Full Version : Painted hood inserts

VXcaver
07/17/2003, 07:01 PM
I decided kinda reluctantly that the Ironman decal needed to go (I'm more of a Jelloman - I tried to trade my hood insert to the real Ironman: Triathlete, but he wouldn't go for it) so I repainted it last month. The results are:

The Alien Bat (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2078&papass=&sort=4)

Here's a brief how-to on what I did:
I peeled the letters off, sanded the insert with 1000 wet dry and painted it with two coats of PPG Strong Black auto paint. The Ironman ghost came through again, so I had to resand and add another coat of black. I drew the bat image I wanted on the insert and airbrushed it with white PPG paint. Cleared twice with PPG clear coat and polished until it looks like black glass.

I saw a cool Calvin and Hobbes theme on someone's hood (Sorry I don't remember who!). I'm curious what else has been done?

:rotate:

dtruax
07/17/2003, 09:25 PM
Nice job!

Spike
07/18/2003, 09:02 AM
I have a few ideas on what I would like to put on my hood.

But I was planning to to use a vinyl decal.. and not until I was able to procure a replacement IronMan decal so I can return it to stock if I ever desired to.

Are you saying that after you peeled the IronMan off that it was still visible? Uh oh... Maybe a change of plans here...

Navigator
07/18/2003, 12:53 PM
Very :supercool

AlaskaVX
07/18/2003, 01:01 PM
If anyone needs another Ironman sticker, my brother works at a vinyl shop and can make them. I will guarentee that its cheaper than Isuzu. :) It may not be exact but as close as humanly possible with the computer program they have.

Spike
07/18/2003, 01:22 PM
I remember we discussed your brother before.

I am not doubting he can do it. I guess we would need a really good scan of the original. None of the IronMan logos that I saw on the IronMan site (even ones at Timex) were identical to what is on our hoods....

AlaskaVX
07/18/2003, 01:26 PM
Well I have it on my hood and we can just take the dimensions from that