PDA

View Full Version : when do you use your headlights?

etlsport
02/17/2009, 07:38 AM
just curious how often everybody uses their headlights.. i use mine every time i get in the car regardless of time of day, ive seen many cars only by their headlights during the day in bright sun, so i always use mine.. just curious how everyone else uses theirs?

tom4bren
02/17/2009, 07:42 AM
I only use mine when it's dark ... but I never use my parking brake either so I'm prolly not 'normal'.

VehiGAZ
02/17/2009, 08:15 AM
I voted "Night and During bad weather" but since the VX's interior is so dark, I often put my parking lights on by late afternoon...

rowhard
02/17/2009, 01:25 PM
I converted mine to HID's along with the Hella Micro DE that replaced the 'fog' light. I run the hella's when ever the engine is running, so I guess the answer is, day and night, but not the headlights unless weather is bad, then both and no, I don't get flashed cause I have them aimed correctly.:)

WiSDoM
02/17/2009, 01:31 PM
aw only during day...... where your sense of adventure?:eek:

Riff Raff
02/17/2009, 05:01 PM
Of special note-- vehicles that are painted shades of Silver; Gray; Beige; Brown, Forest Green are very difficult to see as they often blend in with their surroundings and/or blend in with concrete/asphalt. Owner's with these colored cars should always have their headlights on.

I always run my headlights both day-n-night. During the daytime-- I run my headlights on "high-beam" (poor man's Daytime Running Lights). During the nighttime-- with oncoming traffic, I run my headlights on normal "low-beam" (of course).

pbkid
02/17/2009, 06:15 PM
I converted mine to HID's along with the Hella Micro DE that replaced the 'fog' light. I run the hella's when ever the engine is running, so I guess the answer is, day and night, but not the headlights unless weather is bad, then both and no, I don't get flashed cause I have them aimed correctly.:)

same for me...i converted my fogs to piaa driving lights and those are on any time my motor is on...and the headlights only come when i can no longer see the sun because they are HID.

blacksambo
02/19/2009, 07:55 PM
If you are running high performance halogene like us, they cost $40 a pair and only last a year, so only in the dark.

etlsport
02/19/2009, 09:34 PM
:_confused i run silverstar ultras at $40 a pair and run em all the time.. id rather spend the money and make sure im seen at all times

Thmstec
02/20/2009, 06:53 AM
I always have lights on when I'm driving. Most of the time its just the 'driving' lights. And since I switched the driving lights to LEDs, they really have a 'pop' to them and its hard to miss it.

blacksambo
02/20/2009, 08:03 PM
how do you get led's , what do they cost and do they need special treatment like ballast and stuff? thx

Cobrajet
02/22/2009, 07:26 AM
Since my daily commute is from home garage to parking garage at work, I usually keep my headlights on all the time during my commute. Around town, I turn them on early dawn or late dusk, and when the weather turns bad (it's the law in Virginia, and I never break the law! :p).

pbkid
02/22/2009, 09:05 PM
how do you get led's , what do they cost and do they need special treatment like ballast and stuff? thx

no, he's talking about just replacing the factory bulb on the 'fog' lights below the head lights....no balast or anything...just unplug the crappy factory ones and plug in some LED ones...

Sprey
03/26/2009, 09:06 PM
I use my when im supposed to etc.

i have green leds in the eye bit that bubbles out of the headlights so yea like to have them on :P

Moncha
08/09/2009, 05:24 PM
Here's a link for a couple of reviews I did on LEDS

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewcategory&cid=5

4X4 UFO
08/18/2009, 11:46 AM
I may be the only one who feels this way, but I find high beams in my eyes to be just as irritating in the daytime as they are at night. If you feel that you must run headlights in the daytime, maybe low beams are the way to go. I'm not entirely convinced that DRL's do any good any way. If the oncoming "driver" is so distracted that he can't see something the size of a car or truck, I'm not sure that headlights are going to help.
Just my two cents.

Randy

circmand
08/18/2009, 01:01 PM
I may be the only one who feels this way, but I find high beams in my eyes to be just as irritating in the daytime as they are at night. If you feel that you must run headlights in the daytime, maybe low beams are the way to go. I'm not entirely convinced that DRL's do any good any way. If the oncoming "driver" is so distracted that he can't see something the size of a car or truck, I'm not sure that headlights are going to help.
Just my two cents.

Randy

The whole DLR lights come from idiots not having the common sense to turn the lights on when raining or overcast and a small silver car on gray pavement in a hard rain storm can be invisible. Remember all our laws are written seem to be for the most stupid or the most evil

4X4 UFO
08/18/2009, 01:37 PM
You make a good point. I still think that low beams are the way to go, though. I just can't see the need for shining high beams into oncoming traffic, whether it's day, night, or in between........

Randy

Moncha
08/18/2009, 03:43 PM
I may be the only one who feels this way, but I find high beams in my eyes to be just as irritating in the daytime as they are at night.

One of my favorite tickets (Failure to dim) to write!!!

etlsport
08/18/2009, 05:33 PM
the reason i drive with mine on all the time is for glare conditions.. when you are driving with your back to the sun, its really hard for someone to see you with the sun in your eyes.. headlights make it tons easier

Gussie2000
08/18/2009, 06:06 PM
Having a nice set of fog lights does the job.

In heavy rain,fog or where there's no much of light post head lights is the right action to take.

I bearly use my head lights because i don't drive at night that much,but my fog lights are on any time the horse is in motion no matter what.

I upgrade my fog light bulbs last week from the OEM 3.5v to 4.9v since one of the bulbs blow off.

They looks very good :yeso:

Ldub
08/18/2009, 08:45 PM
The whole DLR lights come from idiots not having the common sense to turn the lights on when raining or overcast.
Remember all our laws are written seem to be for the most stupid or the most evil

Sorry, most have heard this rant before...:rolleyesg

But it's civilization in general, with a substantial helping of a society ever more willing to sue the other party involved, rather than take responsibility for their own actions, that is the problem here...:upsetgray

Making society in general ALMOST idiot proof, has taken natural selection out of the game, allowing more & more "questionable" genetic material into the shallow end...yeah, I know, not the correct opinion to have is this day & age...:rolleyesg...:_confused

Scott Harness
08/18/2009, 09:09 PM
Sorry, most have heard this rant before...:rolleyesg

But it's civilization in general, with a substantial helping of a society, ever more willing to sue the other party involved, than to take responsibility for their own actions, that is the problem here...:upsetgray

Making society in general ALMOST idiot proof, has taken natural selection out of the game, allowing more & more "questionable" genetic material into the shallow end...yeah, I know, not the correct opinion to have is this day & age...:rolleyesg...:_confused

Don't get me started,my head wants to explode:disturbed I'll just say... X a ...gazillon

4X4 UFO
08/19/2009, 07:33 AM
We may not be able to clean up the gene pool, but we could make the requirements and testing for a driver's license difficult enough to keep most of the "shallow-enders" from clogging the roadways.....;Db;

Moncha
08/19/2009, 08:07 AM
That would take a whole new way of thinking... Driving is now considered (Unofficially) a right not a privledge.

4X4 UFO
08/19/2009, 09:16 AM
True enough! From what I can tell, getting a license (in my state) to be a hairdresser is much more difficult than what's required to hustle two tons of metal and plastic down the highway at 70 mph!:madb:

Moncha
08/19/2009, 11:34 AM
...getting a license (in my state) to be a hairdresser is much more difficult...

But, can they run with scissors?

tom4bren
08/19/2009, 11:35 AM
Only Crayola scissors.