PDA

View Full Version : Born Again Beliver

phx99blackvx
02/16/2009, 05:13 PM
Hello Fellow VX'rs!!!!
Here is my story. I am one of the many that fell in love with the VW when they first came out, even to a point a purchased a 99 Amigo due to I could not afford a VX at the time and thier was no such thing as a used VX in 99. The 99 Amigo suffered from what I believe now to be a faulty intake gasket, the engine would die in idle, The dealership could not figure out the problem after 4 attempts so I traded the Amigo in for a 4Runner due to I did not want to own a vehicle with a problem that the dealer couldn't figure out.
Eight years later, I live in Phoenix, AZ and I am doing nothing of importance on the internet and see a 99 VX posted for sale at a local Stealership. I go down to the dealership to find this poor astral VX in very bad shap, the interior was horrible, every body panels had dents the engine bay was covered in rusted antifreeze spray. I had to pass due to the amount of money that would be needed to restore this one on top of the inflated dealership price. My wife, knowing how dissapointed I was, found a 99 ebony with 79k on the odo for about the same price in San Diego. 10k, a plane ride and a drive from San Diego to Phoenix later, my dream of owning a VX had come true. This happened in July 2007.

So I have the vehicle I have always wanted sitting in my garage. the body is about 98% perfect, the interior only has wear on the driver seat, and it drove home from San Diego without any issues. Here was my delima, This vehicle is a toy for me, my daily driver is a 05 Nissan Titan, I am an avid reader of this forum and I start to read about the engine problems and tranny problems and start to doubt the reliability of the vehicle I just purchased. I would drive it around town on short trips, one to keep the fluids moving and to also try to enjoy the vehicle without being to far from home in the event of a breakdown. I have had the following done to it since I have bought it all for preventative measures only,

New timing belt
New water Pump
Front Wheel bearings repacked
transmission filter changed

The engine has always started right up and has ran strong, the transmission has always performed well. The transmission service was the most recent work and I asked my mechanic how the old fluid looked, he said it looked ok which leads me to believe the fluid had been changed by the prior owner at some point in time. Oh a note to all, the transmission bolts have a copper washer, I do recommend changing them out anytime you undo the plugs, Autozone has the copper washer M14 for about 3 bucks for a set of 3 to prevent leaks from the bolts, I had a leak after the trans service, a new copper washer fixed the leak. So, after all that, here is the story of why I am a born again beliver in my VX.

My parents live in Cedar City, Utah(southern Part of the state) and My dad's 71st Bday was on 2/13. My wife thought it would be a great suprise if her and I and a couple we are friends with drove up to see my dad for his birthday. I would normally take the Titan for this drive, but the Titan is only 2 wheel drive and the forcast called for snow during our travel days for northern Arizona and southern Utah. I told my wife that with the chance of hitting bad weather, we really should take the VX. The drive takes us up through Flagstaff AZ, then up towards the northern rim of the Grand Canyon and into southern Utah, This includes driving through some pretty remote and very sparsly populated areas, but I was determined to take the VX for the weather and to once and for all put the VX through it's paces. I figured if anything was going to go wrong with the vehicle, this trip should do it.

So with the back 3 cubic feet of space, just kidding, loaded to the roof with small suitcases and other belongngs and 4 good size adults, the trip begins. I first noticed the weight of the people and the back did not really affect the drive and handling of the VX. In between Phoenix and Flagstaff, there are several long steep climbs, the VX handled the hills very well, I was very impressed how well the engine and trans worked together to find the right rpms to keep the vehicle up to speed during the inclines. After getting passed Flagstaff, in an area called Jacobs Lake, I was in a mountinous area with mountain grades and curves, again I was very impressed on how well the VX handled the curves at speed, even with the weight it was carrying. We hit a little snow, but not enough to what I would call a real test for the TOD. The VX did great the entire trip and got us home with no issues at all. I did burn a quart of oil over the 1K trip which I kept an eye on the oil level every fill up. I averaged about 17 mpg with my speeds usually about 70-80mph. The VX has about 83k on the odo after this trip and I feel confident enough that I will be driving it more frequently and further away from home.

Sorry so long, but it was needed to develop the story

I do believe with the engine and transmision, its all about maintenance for longevity.

Thanks for reading.....Derek

Ascinder
02/16/2009, 06:14 PM
Here is my story. I am one of the many that fell in love with the VW when they first came out,

So you like Volkswagen huh?:p;) J/K that's a good story, glad to hear you finally got your wish. Now get out and drive that thing. You are spot on with the fact that proper maintenance makes a great vehicle. Just keep your oil checked and you'll be fine. I'm at 120k with zero engine/trans issues.

pbkid
02/16/2009, 06:38 PM
just make sure you check your oil EVERY time you fill up on gas....the only weak part of the VX is that they have a tendency to burn oil...and if its not closely watched it will cause problems..

secondly...a lot of us suggest changing your PCV valve during oil changes too...(i do mine every oil change but some do it every other)...the valve itself is only like $2 at any parts store so its worth it to me...

other than that, the VX is a great vehicle..the longer you have it the more attached you will become...

this site is a HUGE help for information...so please dont hesitate to ask...

oh, and welcome to the family and the addiction :cool:

Ascinder
02/16/2009, 06:43 PM
secondly...a lot of us suggest changing your PCV valve during oil changes too...(i do mine every oil change but some do it every other)...the valve itself is only like $2 at any parts store so its worth it to me...

Or replace with a little cone breather for under $10 once. Fixes PCV issues forever. Been using mine for over 2 years-no CELs, no emissions issues. Conceals nicely beneath the plastic engine cover. They even make them in vehicle specific colors. Look in user Psychos2's gallery for where it goes.

VX KAT
02/16/2009, 08:27 PM
Hello fellow Arizonian! :wave: We moved up near Prescott about 14 months ago and with like a million off-road trails in my backyard, I too pined for a VX. Got mine 2 months ago w/64k miles. I felt like you did for a while (afraid it would leave me stranded somewhere), but I've read & read AND READ some more on this forum & done everything they suggested, & feel way more confident! But, like you, I'm used to Toyota/Honda reliability so the VX was worrisome. Now the addiction has firmly taken hold and it's great! The 4Runner & FJ Cruiser sit in garage a lot more these days! Even my hubby is really starting to like it ;oop;

On my 1st off-road adventure, I got Arizona pinstriped really bad. I whined about it on the forum and gasmask and a few others slapped me out of it! A VX is to be enjoyed!

Maybe we'll meet one day if you're passing by again. Another VX'er named Moonbuggyman lives in Prescott with an '01 S/C Proton. I chased him down on 69 about a month ago to meet him. We plan on going off-road some time.....with FJ following us in case one of us craps out...:-)

On a side note, I had appendicitis last weekend and had emergency surgery.....had to let the VX sit for a week :(....learned that VX OEM shocks & appendectomy & living on a rutted dirt road DO NOT mix...but I hit it today and I handled it OK! Yehaw! I'm back ya'll! :coolo: ~Sue

Ldub
02/16/2009, 08:31 PM
On my 1st off-road adventure, I got Arizona pinstriped really bad. I whined about it on the forum and gasmask and a few others slapped me out of it! A VX is to be enjoyed!

On a side note, I had appendicitis last weekend and had emergency surgery.....had to let the VX sit for a week :(....learned that VX OEM shocks & appendectomy & living on a rutted dirt road DO NOT mix...but I hit it today and I handled it OK! Yehaw! I'm back ya'll! :coolo: ~Sue

Glad to hear your recovery is going well...on both topics..:thumbup:

Ldub
02/16/2009, 08:37 PM
Back on topic (sorry...:rolleyesg )
I'm pushing 70k & wouldn't hesitate to hop in & drive to Moab...done so three times & it's a far piece off from ND.
Of course I DO tend to prepare for most anything, except catastrophic engine or trans. failure...:_wrench:
I'm also known to carry a lot of tools & spare parts...:naughty:

LittleBeast
02/17/2009, 09:31 AM
Dude, seriously make sure they topped off your transmission fluid CORRECTLY. If they did not do this when they changed your transmission filter, you could be looking at a new tranny in the next few months. This is not a small matter, they must go through the whole procedure of running it through all the gears, driving it around the block, getting it to the right temp, or you could end up like me with a new tranny rebuild just a few months later. Not trying to scare you just make sure that level is spot on.

circmand
02/17/2009, 12:39 PM
from VT to PA to TX to AZ

workmeistr
02/17/2009, 01:54 PM
Coast-to-coast (Cali to Virginia) in just under two weeks.

I'm scared because I'm not burning any noticeable amounts of oil.

I've had an extra quart of Royal Purple with me the whole trip, though...

pbkid
02/17/2009, 06:09 PM
Coast-to-coast (Cali to Virginia) in just under two weeks.

I'm scared because I'm not burning any noticeable amounts of oil.

I've had an extra quart of Royal Purple with me the whole trip, though...

thats funny because mine doesnt burn oil since i put the new motor in mine..and it freaks me out because im so used to seeing it down a little every time i fill up...

sometimes i feel like i dont need to check it every time i fill up on gas because it doesnt move, but i know if i dont, then something bad is gonna happen...and if it happens again, i will not own another....