PDA

View Full Version : 1st Time Buyer Needs Advice

KeithVXlvr
02/14/2009, 10:19 AM
Hello all,

I am Keith from Portland, OR. Looking for a VX and think I have found one. Hopefully going to fly to it and check it out, then drive it home if all is well.

I have been told the drivers window is having some trouble -- no biggy as the fixes are easy and cheap. And there is a broken plastic rear cladding (Isuzu dealer has one here for @ $400.00.)

When I am looking at it, what are the big things to look out for??

Thanks, Keith

rowhard
02/14/2009, 12:08 PM
Great, welcome to the addiction. You will love it. Now open the last 4 duplicates, one at a time, then click on the edit button, bottom right corner, that will open your thread and then click on DELETE please. All new be's do that, well, maybe not Ldub but I sure did.

pbkid
02/14/2009, 01:45 PM
this user has posted in every thread the same thing since he joined i believe....

automated??

Ldub
02/14/2009, 03:24 PM
Great, welcome to the addiction. You will love it. Now open the last 4 duplicates, one at a time, then click on the edit button, bottom right corner, that will open your thread and then click on DELETE please. All new be's do that, well, maybe not Ldub but I sure did.

LOL...as previously stated in a different thread, I've made most every noob mistake there is to make around here...all any of us can do, is try to improve...;)

Although I think our newest little buddy Kieth, has had about ENOUGH practice posting the same thing over & over & over & over & over...:rolleyesg

Moncha
02/15/2009, 07:06 AM
I fixed it. The proper etiquette is to post once and wait for an answer. Although, I do understand your enthusiasm, multiple posts usually generate negative effects. Especially on this web site. */lashing over

Now, welcome to the site, here you will find more info than you'll ever want (Use the search) and more people that want to help if you ask. Good luck in your quest.

WiSDoM
02/15/2009, 08:51 AM
How many used vehicles have you purchased? What years is it? How many miles on it? How many owners? If I was flying out to see a vehicle I would get carfax report first. If you get the vin# you could check here to see if the owner was a former member.

KeithVXlvr
02/15/2009, 09:08 AM
WISDOM,

I have never bough a used car since I was like 18.

Thanks for the input. The VX is a 2003 @ 50,000 miles. I ran a CarFax report and it has two previous owners, I'd be #3. The report was clean and the story I got from the seller matches purchase locations, milage etc that are on the report... just as he said.

I just thought from your expereince you could indicate what leaks to look out for etc.... I am planning to fly in to the sellers town and run it by an Isuzu mechanic for a quick inspection before trading cash and keys.

Just don't want it to blow up 4,00 miles after I buy it when it could have been avoided by simply looking at something I never thought about....

Thanks, Keith

PS: Thanks for the advice EVERYONE on the posting etiqite.. You will also notice me spelling is not too great.

don moore
02/15/2009, 09:27 AM
WOW more Oregon VXs..hehe..looking like a NortWest meet soon:)

tjh
02/15/2009, 09:31 AM
WISDOM,

Thanks for the input. The VX is a 2003 .

2003 :eek: Is this Possible ?

tjh
02/15/2009, 09:35 AM
If you get the vin# you could check here to see if the owner was a former member.

I'm not trying to thread jack , But exactly how do I use the Vin # too see if the owner was a former member ?

Ldub
02/15/2009, 10:12 AM
I'm not trying to thread jack , But exactly how do I use the Vin # too see if the owner was a former member ?

From the home page click on:

Quick links

Member list

Search member list

Advanced search

Then scroll down to where it says "Year, Color, Model & Last 4 #'s in VIN:"

You'll figure out the rest...:smilewink

Ldub
02/15/2009, 10:16 AM
PS: Thanks for the advice EVERYONE on the posting etiqite.. You will also notice me spelling is not too great.

Bad spelling we can handle...:cool:

MSHardeman
02/15/2009, 10:21 AM
Keith,

There are a lot of other people on here who are a lot more knowledgable on what to look for, but I'll give it a quick shot here.

First off, it's impossible to have a 2003 VX. They where imported into the US from 1999 to 2001. The only differences between the years is that the 1999 models have 16" rims and manual climate controls. The 2000/2001 models came with 18" rims and an "auto" mode on the climate control.

That being said the main thing to check is the oil level. Our engines tend to burn oil straight from the factory and you really need to stay on top of it. A few people here have blown their motors due to lack of oil. I check my oil EVERY time I get fuel, and many of us here will replace our PCV valves every, or every other, oil change.

I think I read that the VX you're looking at already has the window sticking problem. That's a pretty typical problem with all VX, and a member of the site has come up with a really great fix (I plan on buying it soon) that replaces the plastic window mount in the door with a metal one.

You can check to see if the shocks are in good shape, but those are easily replaced with some after market shocks. The original VX shocks are made by KYB and have a resivoir built onto them. They are expensive to replace with original ones, and can cost a few hundred dollars to rebuild so some members have replaced them with Rancho's.

I'm sure there are other things to check and hopefully some other members will chime in, or you'll find the information you are looking for using the search function. I haven't really had any issues with my VX (knock on wood) and I absolutely love it.

Welcome to the obsession.

tjh
02/15/2009, 10:47 AM
Thank you Ldub. The search was fruitless . I'm trying at the moment to purchase a green dragon . I say trying because it is not in my possession yet . I'm waiting on the paper work to arrive . After that I'll be waiting for the shipping company to drop it off at my door .;Db;

Moncha
02/15/2009, 11:14 AM
Thank you Ldub. The search was fruitless.....

That's why accurate info about you and your VX is so important. Also its important to make sur your title for your thread is accurate and not vague.

...After that I'll be waiting for the shipping company to drop it off at my door...

Make sure that it's a shipping company that you choose. Always want to avoid seller's fraud. :_cop:

WiSDoM
02/15/2009, 12:52 PM
WISDOM,

I have never bough a used car since I was like 18.

Thanks for the input. The VX is a 2003 @ 50,000 miles. I ran a CarFax report and it has two previous owners, I'd be #3. The report was clean and the story I got from the seller matches purchase locations, milage etc that are on the report... just as he said.

I just thought from your expereince you could indicate what leaks to look out for etc.... I am planning to fly in to the sellers town and run it by an Isuzu mechanic for a quick inspection before trading cash and keys.

Just don't want it to blow up 4,00 miles after I buy it when it could have been avoided by simply looking at something I never thought about....

Thanks, Keith

I think bringing by the dealership is a good idea. I wasn't trying to be rude about asking how many cars you have purchased, it just that some people have no idea about what to lookup for when buying a used car period. So I was just trying to get a frame of reference. We are a pretty friendly group here and will alwayhs try to help as much as we can. I know living where i do buying used car can be pretty risky due to the weather conditions and the amount of salt they put on the roads. We all hope it works out for you. It is always good to have new blood around to keep up the enthusiasm.:bwgr:

snowtrooper1966
02/15/2009, 01:21 PM
...I'm trying at the moment to purchase a green dragon...

:thumbup:

....After that I'll be waiting for the shipping company to drop it off at my door...

I used DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) last year, and had a painless experience. Even had GPS on the shipping truck so I could track the progress of the Dragon. Shipped from New Jersey to California for $1,500.

Best of luck!

KeithVXlvr
02/16/2009, 10:26 AM
MSHardeman,

Thanks for the reply. It is a 2001, not a 2003.. bad typing.

KeithVXlvr
02/16/2009, 10:30 AM
Hey tkh,

The green dragaon you are trying to buy, where is it located.

I may know the owner!!

Waiting on paper work ???

tjh
02/16/2009, 06:14 PM
Hey tkh,

The green dragaon you are trying to buy, where is it located.

I may know the owner!!

Waiting on paper work ???

Kansas . It's on auto trader . I forgot what state the car fax records Showed it had been serviced in .

Paper Work ? Is there not paper work involved to purchase a car ?

KeithVXlvr
02/16/2009, 08:08 PM
O.K. smart guy, you are observant aren't you. I suppose there is paper work involved. I thought you may be waiting on a loan, title transfer or something along those lines.

If it is from Kansas, I sure as heck don't know the owner.

Good luck with the rig.

pbkid
02/16/2009, 08:12 PM
O.K. smart guy, you are observant aren't you. I suppose there is paper work involved. I thought you may be waiting on a loan, title transfer or something along those lines.

Good luck with the rig.

take it easy guys.... we try to stay friendly around here :p

Ldub
02/16/2009, 08:18 PM

Good luck with the rig.

Dude, I gotta say, you're really making quite a first impression around here...

tjh
02/17/2009, 03:55 AM
Whoops ! It was my intent to sound Like a smart*** , Sorry. I should have written that I didn't understand what exactly you where questioning . So no, not waiting on a loan . I have the cash was just waiting on the papers for title / terms of sale and so on .

I also would like to thank all you guys for being so helpful and polite . I'm on another forum for one of my other cars and the people on that forum are down right rude .Although they have helped me out with some issues /problems . So there not all rude just mostly rude .

The community here is just that a community . That's my judgment from what threads I've read through . I would like to apologise to any one whom I may have upset , it was certainly not intentional, ... Also ,I was trying not to thread jack although , It seems I have felled miserably at that.

KeithVXlvr
02/17/2009, 09:13 AM
Sorry, everybody. As I said, I am going to fly to inspect and pick up the VX. I was in need of input / advice ASAP. I have no expreince with Isuzu.

I have never been on a community posting 'board' and didn't even know if I was posting correctly... not in terms of community rules but, in terms of will anybody ever see this 'caus I do not know what I am doing.

I got lots of feedback on how I am doing it wrong, 'jacking threads" etc... , but ony 2 members (wisdon and mshardeman) actually responded with advice. All others simply scolded me like an 11 year old.

etlsport
02/17/2009, 09:23 AM
the vx isn't all that different from any other vehicle.. check all the hoses.. check for leaks and low fluid levels especially oil.. if the oil level is lower than 1/3 the way up the dipstick... just walk away.. check the windows for proper operation.. other than that dont settle.. there are enough vxs for sale to be a little picky

tom4bren
02/17/2009, 09:38 AM
"but ony 2 members (wisdon and mshardeman) actually responded with advice."

Actually I posted hyperlinks to 2 recent threads on the very subject you were looking for - I just can't remember which of your posts I did it in. If I find it, I'll let you know.

KeithVXlvr
02/17/2009, 09:38 AM
etlsport,

Thank you !!!

That is exactly what I am looking for.

When you say 1/3 the way up the dipstick... do you mean the whole dipstick itself or the standard 1 qt full ~ low mark?? (Meaning if it 2/3 of a quart low - even though it is still in the "safe" zone, I should walk away??

Thanks again for the helpful feedback. I sure appreciate it.

KeithVXlvr
02/17/2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks, Tom4bren...

I fear I have become an outcast already.

You might want to ignore me or feel the wrath of the community.

tom4bren
02/17/2009, 09:58 AM
Fear not Kevin - keep your nose clean for a week or two and all will be forgiven. Make an extra donation to the site & we'll forgive you today:)

Wanna feel better about your situation? Below is a thread about the previous owner of my Proton - he really got ripped.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10277&highlight=offset

I never forgave certain members about what they had to say about my P&J but I did get over it:)

etlsport
02/17/2009, 10:21 AM
no worries... tom is an outcast too.. mostly because his tires are afraid of his wheel wells;Db;

but seriously very few of us hold grudges and they almost never come out on the forum... except in playful jabbing

yea i meant to say if it is more than 2/3 quart low its probably not been properly cared for

dont worry about little squeaks rattles groans etc the vx was hand assembled so these are often corrected by tightening a bolt or applying some grease

if you are unsure about something specific find a computer and search..or ask in a new or related thread;Db;.. you can usually get a response within an hour or two

tom4bren
02/17/2009, 10:27 AM
& if you do have squeeks, rattles or groans - it's easily fixed by putting in a kick-arse stereo & painting your dash 'lectric blue

VehiGAZ
02/17/2009, 10:32 AM
Sorry, everybody. As I said, I am going to fly to inspect and pick up the VX. I was in need of input / advice ASAP. I have no expreince with Isuzu.

I have never been on a community posting 'board' and didn't even know if I was posting correctly... not in terms of community rules but, in terms of will anybody ever see this 'caus I do not know what I am doing.

I got lots of feedback on how I am doing it wrong, 'jacking threads" etc... , but ony 2 members (wisdon and mshardeman) actually responded with advice. All others simply scolded me like an 11 year old.

Here's some good reading (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=FAQ&op=viewcategory&cid=5) to get you up to speed on internet forum etiquette. There is much to learn, but it is mostly simple and self-explanatory. Most of us have been on forums for a while, so we know what is expected and what is not tolerated. The best thing for you to do is to read and see what the vibe is here. Don't do anything in a post that you haven't seen someone else do already.

The basic idea is that posts in a thread should stay on topic (i.e., your posts should be responses to the original post or posts after it). If you want to talk about something else, then start a new thread rather than go "off-topic" by "hijacking" a thread. Also, we (generally) do not "flame" each other (write hostile or insulting posts) - although it does happen on occasion (I'm a guilty party on that count...).

We are a friendly bunch here - most other forums are far less tolerant of "beginner mistakes" so don't despair.

VehiGAZ
02/17/2009, 10:35 AM
yea i meant to say if it is more than 2/3 quart low its probably not been properly cared for

That's a pretty harsh criterion there... I would be careful about jumping to any conclusions about how well it's been maintained because of a perfectly-acceptable dipstick reading.

etlsport
02/17/2009, 10:48 AM
That's a pretty harsh criterion there... I would be careful about jumping to any conclusions about how well it's been maintained because of a perfectly-acceptable dipstick reading.

the only time i would consider a vx only showing 1/3 quart of oil is if the owner was well aware of the level and even then i would be super cau... with an engine replacement cost around 4k out of pocket i wont take chances

Ldub
02/17/2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks, Tom4bren...

I fear I have become an outcast already.

You might want to ignore me or feel the wrath of the community.

LOL...not even CLOSE, we try to get the new guys up to speed ASAP...:cool:

Think of it as a hazing, nobody around here is gonna remember anything in a few short weeks. (A fact which I'm thankful for, or I'd already have been banned...:rolleyesg )

Many of us, (myself included) were just as "green" as you when we first joined this family, and all of our more seasoned siblings gave us the same "spankings" as you're getting...or worse...:smilewink

Hang in there, make friends with the search function, & welcome to the Fam...:thumbup:

Ldub
02/17/2009, 11:24 AM
Fear not Kevin - :)

Of course you must realize, we'll be calling you "Kevin" from now on...:rolleyesg

You can thank Tom later...:smilewink

VehiGAZ
02/17/2009, 11:26 AM
make friends with the search function

I forgot to hammer on that! (Ldub and I are probably the biggest "search first" enforcers around here..)

Yes, always use the search function before asking questions - whatever you want to know has probably been covered already. It's a little slow to search and read through potentially dozens of pages, and it does not always produce good results, but that's how a forum is supposed to work... it's a repository of information. Please search the forums for what you are trying to find out, then post if you can't find what you are looking for.

Good luck!

tom4bren
02/17/2009, 11:27 AM
"we'll be calling you "Kevin" from now on"

OOOPSS!!!

LBUD is rite - I mussed up.

Sorry Keith

Ldub
02/17/2009, 11:31 AM
"we'll be calling you "Kevin" from now on"

OOOPSS!!!

LBUD is rite - I mussed up.

Sorry Keith

LOL...LBUD...yer KILLIN' me here...:laughgray

circmand
02/17/2009, 12:36 PM
El Bud?

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=921&d=1234902182

pbkid
02/17/2009, 06:06 PM
keith....i think the issue was, we all read the same thing posted in like 15 or more threads....there was no necessity to post it that many times so it seemed like you were a computer animated thing (to me)....however, now that we know that your a real person and are reading what people are posting about your questions we are more than willing to help out a fellow vx'er...

anyhow, i think the other guys pretty much covered the basics....
the only real issues with the VX is-
burning oil
windows not rolling up properly
faded headlights

the second 2 can be fixed with a little R&R but if it burns oil really bad, then you have something to worry about...the oil in a VX should always be kept completely full.

anyhow, i apologize for being rude in other posts and even here... its just that we are all very friendly here (we even hang out in regular life, which doesnt happen much on other forums) so we have a tendency to get antzy when people insult our VX friends :cool:

Ldub
02/17/2009, 11:55 PM
El Bud?

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=921&d=1234902182

LinQ no worQ...:sighwgray

Ldub
02/17/2009, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE=VehiGAZ;148643]I forgot to hammer on that! (Ldub and I are probably the biggest "search first" enforcers around here..) [QUOTE]

I always wanted to be known as a "search enforcement droid"...my dreams have now become true...:dance:

KeithVXlvr
02/18/2009, 10:15 AM
You all are being forgiving and I appreciate it very much. Thanks again. I'll get this figured out soon and you have gotten me up to speed ASAP.:)

I'll have the mechanic doing the inspection look for signs of buring oil.

I guess the owner's daughter had taken it off to college a while back - not a great sign of vehicle maintenece. She is working on her Masters degree so, maybe she is smart enough to take care of the car.

I think I saw tom4bren's VX on youtube..?? If that was his yellow ( proton?) VX then, yes his tires are afraid of the wheel wells. etlsport, I about fell out of my chair giggleing after that remark.:)

Anyway, I'll look out for the buring oil.. at about 50,000 how bad could it be?:eek:

We shall see, I hope to have it my possesion by the end of the month. Unless, of course, the mechaninc says something like this baby is burning oil and it hasn't been changed in about a year.:mad:

tom4bren
02/18/2009, 10:34 AM
"yes his tires are afraid of the wheel wells. etlsport, I about fell out of my chair giggleing after that remark."

Them is fightin words bub - I think we'll go back to calling you Kevin

Ldub
02/18/2009, 10:53 AM
"yes his tires are afraid of the wheel wells. etlsport, I about fell out of my chair giggleing after that remark."

Them is fightin words bub - I think we'll go back to calling you Kevin

:laughgray...:laughr:...:laughgray...:laughr:

See...you're already getting a good natured ribbing from one of your older brothers...Kevin :smilewink

snowtrooper1966
02/18/2009, 11:34 AM
"Kevin", priceless.
Dosen't have a VX yet and already has a nickname. I can feel the love....

Oh, and just so I don't get scolded for threadjacking:
Keith, make sure there is not too much oil in it either. That is a jab at myself for a newbie error I made last year. After hearing all the scary stories about oil burning, I wound up SEVERLY OVERFILLING my case, by 6 quarts:freek:
I don't think you really need to look out for that when shopping for your VX, almost nobody would be THAT dumb;)
Best of luck in your search!

MSHardeman
02/18/2009, 11:36 AM
Sort of back on topic; I don't think that you'll really find evidence of the engine burning oil. Some of the engines have lost oil from day one, but other don't lose a drop. From what I understand it has something to do with the rings on our engines, and sometimes they don't seal as well as they should so the oil blows by them and gets burned during compression. The milage may have nothing to do with oil consumption. I bought mine with 35,000 miles on it and it was losing about a half quart of oil per tank (350 miles), and now it has 80,000 miles on it and it's still losing the same amount (no more, no less).

Replacing the PCV valve and cleaning the EGR and throttle body help with oil consumption until those things get gummed up again.

I think it's a great idea to have the mechanic look at it, but you'll still need to keep an eye on the oil level no matter what.

Good luck and post pictures when you get it. I say "when" because it's obvious that you've been bitten by the VX bug and now it's only a matter of time.:rolleyes:

etlsport
02/18/2009, 11:48 AM
Sort of back on topic; I don't think that you'll really find evidence of the engine burning oil. Some of the engines have lost oil from day one, but other don't lose a drop. From what I understand it has something to do with the rings on our engines, and sometimes they don't seal as well as they should so the oil blows by them and gets burned during compression. The milage may have nothing to do with oil consumption. I bought mine with 35,000 miles on it and it was losing about a half quart of oil per tank (350 miles), and now it has 80,000 miles on it and it's still losing the same amount (no more, no less).

Replacing the PCV valve and cleaning the EGR and throttle body help with oil consumption until those things get gummed up again.

I think it's a great idea to have the mechanic look at it, but you'll still need to keep an eye on the oil level no matter what.

Good luck and post pictures when you get it. I say "when" because it's obvious that you've been bitten by the VX bug and now it's only a matter of time.:rolleyes:

yea, thats pretty accurate, i normally burn 1 quart every 3k miles.. but the first 1-2k after an oil change i dont burn much.. then all of a sudden ill be 1/2 quart low after a tank.. thats when i know its time to clean or replace the PCV valve, i really dont show much sign of losing oil though.. no discolored exhaust, i do have a very slight film of soot around the oil filler cap, but its almost not even noticable.. tried replacing it twice.. hasnt worked.. so i just keep an eye out

pbkid
02/18/2009, 12:47 PM
You all are being forgiving and I appreciate it very much. Thanks again. I'll get this figured out soon and you have gotten me up to speed ASAP.:)

I'll have the mechanic doing the inspection look for signs of buring oil.

I guess the owner's daughter had taken it off to college a while back - not a great sign of vehicle maintenece. She is working on her Masters degree so, maybe she is smart enough to take care of the car.

I think I saw tom4bren's VX on youtube..?? If that was his yellow ( proton?) VX then, yes his tires are afraid of the wheel wells. etlsport, I about fell out of my chair giggleing after that remark.:)

Anyway, I'll look out for the buring oil.. at about 50,000 how bad could it be?:eek:

We shall see, I hope to have it my possesion by the end of the month. Unless, of course, the mechaninc says something like this baby is burning oil and it hasn't been changed in about a year.:mad:

my first motor blew up at 76,000....from oil loss...

Gussie2000
02/18/2009, 02:15 PM
Good luck and post pictures when you get it. I say "when" because it's obvious that you've been bitten by the VX bug and now it's only a matter of time.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

And this VX Bug bite doesn,t have any vaccine keith so you better hang in there along with us.
As how the gangs have their own initiation you already had yours
Again,welcome to the addiction

tom4bren
02/19/2009, 05:45 AM
"good natured ribbing from one of your older brothers"

Just for that 'old' joke - you ain't Lbud no more.:)

Ldub
02/19/2009, 09:40 AM
"good natured ribbing from one of your older brothers"

Just for that 'old' joke - you ain't Lbud no more.:)

That's OK...the Dude abides. :cool:

LOL...I wasn't calling you old...:rotate: , last I checked, you're three years younger than I am. (my "little brother" is your age)

I was indicating that you've been in the fam a while, like a senior frat bro...:smilewink

tom4bren
02/19/2009, 02:49 PM
I'd rather be old than gooney-ed.

pbkid
02/20/2009, 12:39 PM
I'd rather be old than gooney-ed.

busted!!!