PDA

View Full Version : Completely OT secret project...

Ldub
02/13/2009, 10:16 AM
It's been on the back burner since last May in Moab, when Bart & I started bouncing ideas around...
Well, one thing led to another, & I finally had some ambition & free time...:rolleyesg
(two things that RARELY happen at the same time)

The result is a new display box for Miss Linda to tote one of her favorite (and incredibly detailed) dolls around in.
What woman WOULDN'T want a doll casket for Valentines Day?

Bart gets credit for the bulk of the design work & hand cutting the skelliton for the lid...:thumbup:
I just cut out a few things & stuck em' all together...:smack:

With any luck, Linda will have time to shoot some higher res pics in the near future...:naughty:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC03002.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC03000.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC03013.JPG

nfpgasmask
02/13/2009, 10:19 AM
YES YES YES.

I will be sure to make her post pics this weekend.

Thanks again, Bart

PS - For those of you who don't know, the Dubster is a master craftsman, so if you need any special "boxes" constructed for special needs, he is the man to talk to. :)

Triathlete
02/13/2009, 12:33 PM
Keith, probably get more responses if you started a different tread instead of jacking one that has absolutely nothing in reference to your question.
Or better yet use the SEARCH function...the answers you seek have been beaten to death many, many, many times!
Good luck with your purchase.:cool:

Ldub
02/13/2009, 12:56 PM
I wonder how a conversation regarding small coffins came up... ;) Looks good guys!

I don't remember...:_confused...:naughty:

Ldub
02/13/2009, 01:06 PM
Where the Hell did that come from?!?! Keith, please start a new thread... :rolleyes:

Keith, probably get more responses if you started a different tread instead of jacking one that has absolutely nothing in reference to your question.
Or better yet use the SEARCH function...the answers you seek have been beaten to death many, many, many times!
Good luck with your purchase.:cool:

For further handy posting tips, look here...:smilewink

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=FAQ&op=viewcategory&cid=5

And here...

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=FAQ&op=viewcategory&cid=7

Dumke
02/13/2009, 01:22 PM
What type of jelly do you use on your pbj sammiches? I like the strawberry flavor myself :bwgy:

Man I could sure use a pbj sammich right about now..

edit: Oh looks killer btw and yeah would loved to see how this convo started. Glad your lines were not tapped.

Bart "Yeah I am looking for a small coffin about the size of a small child"
Dub "Ok what color?"
bart "black"
Bart "I also need a hole for then to look out of"
Bart "Also need holes for thier hands to be seen as well"
Bart "I dont want them to be able to get out I want it all closed up just need see face and hands"
Dub "ok will have for you in a week"

:p

Ldub
02/13/2009, 01:24 PM
What type of jelly do you use on your pbj sammiches? I like the strawberry flavor myself :bwgy:

Grape Man...gotta be grape, on sourdough bread...:smilewink

nfpgasmask
02/13/2009, 01:39 PM
I don't remember...:_confused...:naughty:

Hmmm, I remember exactly how it came up actually.

:) Bart

pbkid
02/13/2009, 01:42 PM

edit: Oh looks killer btw and yeah would loved to see how this convo started. Glad your lines were not tapped.

Dub "Ok what color?"
bart "black"
Bart "I dont want them to be able to get out I want it all closed up just need see face and hands"

LOL LOL LOL awesome!!!

Ldub
02/13/2009, 01:47 PM

Dub "Ok what color?"
bart "black"

LOL...good stuff!

You shoulda seen the look on the UPS clerks face when she asked what was in the box...of course I couldn't just tell her, I had to open it up & show her...:eek:

Funny is where you find it...:smilewink

pbkid
02/13/2009, 01:53 PM
LOL...good stuff!

You shoulda seen the look on the UPS clerks face when she asked what was in the box...of course I couldn't just tell her, I had to open it up & show her...:eek:

Funny is where you find it...:smilewink

wow, after seeing your work, i need to be paying you to make me a sub box dub....i was gonna try to make one myself but im not all that great with woodwork...eh, screw it im just gonna do something simple

PHO2GR4
02/13/2009, 03:11 PM
So you're saying it's a three-step process?

1) Cut a hole in a box

2) Put your junk in that box

3) Make her open the box

Is that the right order? I'd hate to get it wrong.

Ldub
02/13/2009, 03:14 PM
So you're saying it's a three-step process?

1) Cut a hole in a box

2) Put your junk in that box

3) Make her open the box

Is that the right order? I'd hate to get it wrong.

This is some pretty advanced, level 9 $hiz...:naughty:

You might wanna start out with a popcorn container, & work your way up...:smilewink

PHO2GR4
02/13/2009, 03:23 PM
I found the directions on YouTube!

NSFW, though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaKq9d_N3w0

Ldub
02/13/2009, 03:33 PM
I found the directions on YouTube!

NSFW, though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaKq9d_N3w0

LOL...:laughgray

Ldub
02/13/2009, 08:00 PM
And the latest WIP...trying to reach a broader market with a "Barbie size" model.
Yes, I believe your GI Joe with the kung fu grip would fit too...:smilewink
Decided to go with real carbon fiber veneer on the lid...:_drool:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC03023.JPG

pbkid
02/13/2009, 09:35 PM
And the latest WIP...trying to reach a broader market with a "Barbie size" model.
Yes, I believe your GI Joe with the kung fu grip would fit too...:smilewink
Decided to go with real carbon fiber veneer on the lid...:_drool:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC03023.JPG
sweet dub...i might have to pick your brain about building a sub box for my VX with carbon fiber...

Ldub
02/13/2009, 09:41 PM
sweet dub...i might have to pick your brain about building a sub box for my VX with carbon fiber...

It's just self stick veneer from a company I found online...nothing I'm able to do myself...:sighwgray

pbkid
02/13/2009, 09:43 PM
It's just self stick veneer from a company I found online...nothing I'm able to do myself...:sighwgray

oh ok...how did you get it to look shiny???

Ldub
02/13/2009, 09:47 PM

It comes that way in sheets, I've used up most of what I had in inventory.
I'll post a link to where to get it later.

Ldub
02/15/2009, 09:55 AM

Jack, here's a link to the company where I get the c-f sheets from...
They come pre finished with a clear resin coat, the peel & stick 3M backing is an additional $4.00 per.
Click on "rigid carbon fiber panels" on the home page, & you'll find quite a selection of colors, sizes, thicknesses, etc.
Not cheap, but good quality stuff...:cool:

http://compositeenvisions.com/

pbkid
02/15/2009, 11:00 AM
Jack, here's a link to the company where I get the c-f sheets from...
They come pre finished with a clear resin coat, the peel & stick 3M backing is an additional $4.00 per.
Click on "rigid carbon fiber panels" on the home page, & you'll find quite a selection of colors, sizes, thicknesses, etc.
Not cheap, but good quality stuff...:cool:

http://compositeenvisions.com/

nice, well with my tax returns it looks like i may be re-vamping my sound system...so these very likely could be included in my box....

i dont know if enough people are viewing this thread to respond (sorry to thread jack a little but we are talking about boxes :smilewink )
for anyone who has their subs built into their rear door....how is your box secured??? i wanna do mine in this style but i cant figure out a good way to secure them in there...
anyone?

Ldub
02/15/2009, 12:06 PM
nice, well with my tax returns it looks like i may be re-vamping my sound system...so these very likely could be included in my box....

i dont know if enough people are viewing this thread to respond (sorry to thread jack a little but we are talking about boxes :smilewink )
for anyone who has their subs built into their rear door....how is your box secured??? i wanna do mine in this style but i cant figure out a good way to secure them in there...
anyone?

Try pm'ing psychos2 , he makes a nice door/spare sub enclosure & may help you out...or check his gallery for ideas.
Also, check Kennys gallery...:smilewink

etlsport
02/15/2009, 07:29 PM
when i was thinking of doing mine i was gonna use the spare tire mount to secure it.. basically build the box to fit without loading it, then put it into place, use the 3 bolts that hold the spare tire mount in place to bolt it to the door, then load the sub(s) in after its secured.. if you wanted to remove it, you would have to remove your subs, but theres not much reason that you would need to remove it anyway

pbkid
02/15/2009, 07:38 PM
ya i was thinking about that...but i would want to be able to remove it if necessary...just incase i needed to dome something with my CB antenna or my back-up camera...

etlsport
02/15/2009, 07:41 PM
only other thing i could think of is to make L shaped mounting tabs that came out over the screw holes for the interior tailgate panel, but you would probably want to find something sturdier than the factory plastic screws to hold it in place.. iirc somebody made some replacements out of aluminum didnt they? that could work

pbkid
02/15/2009, 07:56 PM
only other thing i could think of is to make L shaped mounting tabs that came out over the screw holes for the interior tailgate panel, but you would probably want to find something sturdier than the factory plastic screws to hold it in place.. iirc somebody made some replacements out of aluminum didnt they? that could work

i wasnt aware of an aluminum style, that would work perfectly...

i got some tips from psychos2 earlier, he said that it sits behind the lip on the bottom, which sounds good on bottom, but i need to figure out a way to hold it in there and keep it still...
maybe some brackets to the side, bolted to the brackets where the stock plastic screws go...

Triathlete
02/15/2009, 08:03 PM
SBC (http://www.streetboutiquecustoms.com/vx.htm)makes the metal replacement "screws"...

...or you could just use a really big piece of velcro!:bwgy:

pbkid
02/15/2009, 08:17 PM
SBC (http://www.streetboutiquecustoms.com/vx.htm)makes the metal replacement "screws"...

...or you could just use a really big piece of velcro!:bwgy:

you and i both know that velcro wouldnt hold up in moab...plus you would get some serious rattles...

4X4 UFO
02/15/2009, 09:17 PM
pbkid,
I have two 8" subs in airtight mdf enclosures mounted on one mdf "backplate" in the spare tire compartment. The whole assembly is held on by three bolts where the original spare tire mounting plate was attached. The backside of the assembly is covered in felt to minimize vibrations against the metal. Both of my amps are mounted on the backplate, between the enclosures, along with my power and ground distribution blocks. All the wiring is routed through a new hole in the hinge side of the door, and into the left side via the tail light. It has worked well for a year so far.........

Randy

pbkid
02/15/2009, 11:18 PM
nice, any pics so i could get an idea of what you did???

oh, and since my tax returns are on their way..just outta curiousity....what would it cost to have the great Ldub fab something up with a similar carbon fiber look you did earlier here (before i jacked the crap outta your thread)???

pm me and let me know...i would be happy to send you dimensions on the subs or just send you the subs themselves....

im pretty sure you could make a more visually appealing and acoustically appealing enclose than i could....

4X4 UFO
02/16/2009, 07:15 AM
I'll try to get some pics up for you in a few days.....I live in western Kentucky, and I'm still chainsawing my way out of our recent ice storm (it was worse than it sounds), but I'll take some pictures as soon as I can.
And I officially apologize to Ldub for my participation in this thread-jack!

Randy

Ldub
02/16/2009, 08:18 AM
what would it cost to have Ldub fab something up with a similar carbon fiber look you did earlier here (before i jacked the crap outta your thread)???

pm me and let me know...i would be happy to send you dimensions on the subs or just send you the subs themselves....

im pretty sure you could make a more visually appealing and acoustically appealing enclose than i could....

I'll try to get some pics up for you in a few days.....I live in western Kentucky, and I'm still chainsawing my way out of our recent ice storm (it was worse than it sounds), but I'll take some pictures as soon as I can.
And I officially apologize to Ldub for my participation in this thread-jack!

Randy

You fellers don't need to worry none about jackin' up one of my threads...It's just thread karma that I've got comin'...:smilewink

Jack, you would have to send me dimensions & such for me to even ballpark an estimate.
AFAIK, most subs come with min & max enclosure volume (in cubic inches) for sealed & ported applications.
The killer is shipping, it was almo$t fifty bucks to get the doll casket UPS'ed to Bart.

nfpgasmask
02/16/2009, 08:19 AM
Hey Dub,

Sorry about not getting pics. This weekend turned out to be quite full and we simply didn't have a spare moment to set up a nice shot. Soon tho....

Ldub
02/16/2009, 08:29 AM
Hey Dub,

Sorry about not getting pics. This weekend turned out to be quite full and we simply didn't have a spare moment to set up a nice shot. Soon tho....

No hurries, No worries Bro...

pbkid
02/16/2009, 08:47 AM
You fellers don't need to worry none about jackin' up one of my threads...It's just thread karma that I've got comin'...:smilewink

Jack, you would have to send me dimensions & such for me to even ballpark an estimate.
AFAIK, most subs come with min & max enclosure volume (in cubic inches) for sealed & ported applications.
The killer is shipping, it was almo$t fifty bucks to get the doll casket UPS'ed to Bart.

well thats pretty easy for us...
i dont know how accessable your rear door space is?? because wouldnt you be able to model the exterior dimensions off your rear door?? they should be identical....

when it comes to the dimensions of the subs and the 'called for' box dimensions i could easily send you the sub instructions that include the 'called for' information....and the cardboard box comes with a cutout to the exact dimensions of the sub to aid in box making...basically little templates...

and when it comes to shipping it should be around $50-75...when i shipped my rims they weighed 77 pounds a piece and the total shipping for 4 of em was around 130....