PDA

View Full Version : VehiCROSS Vs Jeep Cherokee

kach22i
02/12/2009, 06:38 PM
First off I have to say that I love the VehiCROSS, lusted for one since they first came out.

My ride of 19 years a 1990 Geo Tracker with a zebra paint job I did myself finally died. I used it as my winter beater (salty Michigan) and to tow my small and light weight hovercraft. I love having a 4x4 even though I don't off-road.

The prices for a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0L straight 6 which people seem to love is comparable to a VehiCROSS.

The only reason I'm considering spending 7k-8k is that two really old cars is just too much for me. My summer car is a rough around the edges 1977 Porsche 911 targa and takes a lot of my spare time.

The alternate of buying a +16 year old and under $2,000 ride will seem great until I have to sink $1,200 into it within a year.

VehiCROSS Vs Jeep Cherokee
I am a person of passion that lives for design (poor architect), but I'm tight for money. I have to make a cold hard choice, a smart choice. The money is coming out of an IRA I had to cash out which is being split to pay self-employment taxes, credit card debt and purchase a winter ride.

What is the smart and safe thing to do? Please be honest and do a little self examination of your VX ownership.

I figure my back up plan is to spend a little more now and get what I want, so I have the option of selling the Porsche (lucky to get 8k for it) if my back is to the wall later.

TheGanzman
02/12/2009, 07:01 PM
The "smart & safe thing to do" is to buy the Jeep Cherokee - absolutely NO question between those two choices! Likely more reliable, easier to work on by yourself and/or almost ANY mechanic, the straight 6 motor is an "Iron Duke" that will last forever with NO issues likely; the cherry on the sundae is that there's a blue million of 'em in the junkyards! A 2 door "Sport" model was my #2 choice; yep, the VX won out! Though I'll probably sell either my RV and/or my '88 Porsche Carrera Coupe to "cover" me against any potential "catastrophic" repairs that may arise, the "cool factor" just won out. You can't swing a cat without hitting a Jeep Cherokee; when was the last time you saw a VX on the road? I may live to regret it, but life is about taking chances. Worst case - you can always change your mind later on; it ain't the end of the World or nuthin'...

Ascinder
02/12/2009, 07:17 PM
the straight 6 motor is an "Iron Duke" that will last forever with NO issues likely

X2. The one caveat being that the 4.0L motors accecories are unfortunately the achilles heel. Jeeps use extremely small and unserviceable vacuum lines and breathers. These get clogged quickly and then have to be replaced. The other non engine accessories are sub par too. The heaters don't work all that well, and the Cherokee is a unibody design making it only OK as a platform to develop into a true offroad machine. It doesn't sound like you are planning to wheel a ton so thta probably isn't much of a concern. The cherokee will likely get better mileage on average too. The VX looks better, but Ganz is right. The resale and parts availability, not to mention mechanic familiarity will go a long way. The VX is a fantastic rig for what is was intended for, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's for everyone. Around here if you have to ask if you should get one, then you probably shouldn't. It's either undying love at first sight, or nothin'. IMHO ;)

Gussie2000
02/12/2009, 07:28 PM
The cherokee shall be your 1rst choice.

Now,if you ask me which cherokee would step away & deffinetly avoid the grand cherokee's last generation.

Go for any cherokee from 1999 thru 2004,to me the best cherokees ever built.
My sister owns the 2002 limited edition & overheard nothing but excelent inputs.it's fast,powerfull as should do as a V8 & the trim is full luxury,i'll go further & say even more luxury then the new limited generation with the 5.7L hemi engine.

I can't say much of the jeeps,the only model i've even test drive from the new generation is the SRT8 grand cherokee because it's a monster.

Ldub
02/12/2009, 09:16 PM
First off I have to say that I love the VehiCROSS, lusted for one since they first came out.

My ride of 19 years a 1990 Geo Tracker with a zebra paint job I did myself finally died. I used it as my winter beater (salty Michigan) and to tow my small and light weight hovercraft. I love having a 4x4 even though I don't off-road.

The prices for a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0L straight 6 which people seem to love is comparable to a VehiCROSS.

The only reason I'm considering spending 7k-8k is that two really old cars is just too much for me. My summer car is a rough around the edges 1977 Porsche 911 targa and takes a lot of my spare time.

The alternate of buying a +16 year old and under $2,000 ride will seem great until I have to sink $1,200 into it within a year.

VehiCROSS Vs Jeep Cherokee
I am a person of passion that lives for design (poor architect), but I'm tight for money. I have to make a cold hard choice, a smart choice. The money is coming out of an IRA I had to cash out which is being split to pay self-employment taxes, credit card debt and purchase a winter ride.

What is the smart and safe thing to do? Please be honest and do a little self examination of your VX ownership.

I figure my back up plan is to spend a little more now and get what I want, so I have the option of selling the Porsche (lucky to get 8k for it) if my back is to the wall later.

REALLY?...the smart safe road?...:rolleyesg

If you have to ask, you probably don't belong in a VX...:smilewink

pbkid
02/12/2009, 09:34 PM
yup, everyone is giving you the honest truth...your much safer with the cherokee...

if your looking for something reliable, get the jeep....if your looking for something that you will LOVE to drive and own get a VX....every person you drive by will stare at you like your driving a ferrari, everyone you know will most likely tell you that they love your car and wish they could get one...

the cherokee, will be reliable, probably more fuel efficient and will DEFINATELY be easier to get parts for....

kach22i
02/13/2009, 04:43 AM
Thanks for all the input. I posted this thread near 10:00 at night, I'm struck by all the comments made. And as I suspected you all think what I've been struggling with.

I figure I can live without an old Porsche if I had a VehiCROSS for that cool and fun factor. However I'm not ready to let go of the 911, not when I'm getting 26 mph hwy.

The Jeep Jeep (Wrangler) with just seems overpriced, I guess people grow up wanting one, which makes a $2,000 long in the tooth beater cost $6,000 actual.

The Cherokee is a fair value, but if this were summer and gas was at $4.00 a gallon I'd be getting a much better deal in this part of the country.

Thanks, George/kach22i.

PS: Listed on cars.com in Howell, Michigan there is a black VehiCross for around $7,500 but I don't know if it's sold yet. It's about double what I wanted to spend, but tempting.

tom4bren
02/13/2009, 06:18 AM
The VX should NEVER be considered a beater car. Not only is it blasphemy but the VX is an addiction.

One other option that I'd like to throw on the table is an older model Toyota Land Cruiser. I have a 93 with 1/4 mil miles on it and it has by far the best 4WD system on it for winter driving that I've ever owned. They may be scarce but should be reasonably priced (I'm saying that as a WAG - I've not looked).

kach22i
02/13/2009, 06:23 AM
Toyota
I'm in Michigan and at this time buying even old American seems like the politically correct thing to do.

Not that I'd let that stop me from buying what I want.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't think the VX will ever be a beater either. I think it will go straight to rare classic status. They might be near their low value point now.

BigSwede
02/13/2009, 07:20 AM
The Cherokee isn't more reliable, at least not for all the little things, in general it is less reliable (as in more trips to the shop). But for catastrophic engine failure, then yes.

tom4bren
02/13/2009, 07:28 AM
"buying even old American seems like the politically correct thing to do."

I've never been acused of being politically correct.:)

I got the TLC years ago since I needed seating for 8 at the time & there weren't many cars available to fit the bill. 1/4 mil miles, only 1 of the 4 power windows still work, 5 kids have learned to drive on it, the straight 6 still pulls strong, burns oil worse than any VX, water pump leaks, never been in the shop, paid off = it's a keeper.

nfpgasmask
02/13/2009, 09:23 AM
If you have to ask, you probably don't belong in a VX...:smilewink

x2. To he11 with all of the previous posters' and their "honesty"!!! :eek: :p ;) There is no comparing a Jeep to a VX. Cripes man, you have a 911 Targa, so you sound like the kinda guy who likes to roll in style. Here's a pic of my garage. Don't they look just swell together? :)

http://www.nofuture.com/whips.jpg

And seriously, if you find a good, sound, well maintained VX, I don't think you will have many major problems. I bought my VX almost three years ago. It had 25,000 miles on it from the original owner. I now have 85,000 miles on it. The only part I have replaced is my EGR valve ($150 and 10 minutes to change). True, there are some issues with the VX that you absolutely should know about. It does need (and completely deserves) to be properly babied. You just need to decide if you are a man of fashion or a man of reason. :bgwo:

Bart

PS - If you go with a VX, you will have this forum to lean on pretty much 24/7. We are all here because we love these little trucks and we all do our best to keep our VXes on the road and running strong.

PPS - Life is too short to drive a boring vehicle.

Ldub
02/13/2009, 09:28 AM

PPS - Life is too short to drive an boring vehicle.

Mmmmmmm...SHINEY...SHINY?...DOH!...:homer:

tom4bren
02/13/2009, 09:31 AM
What's in the numbered boxes Bart? Spare parts?

pbkid
02/13/2009, 09:35 AM
x2. To he11 with all of the previous posters' and their "honesty"!!! :eek: :p ;) There is no comparing a Jeep to a VX. Cripes man, you have a 911 Targa, so you sound like the kinda guy who likes to roll in style. Here's a pic of my garage. Don't they look just swell together? :)

And seriously, if you find a good, sound, well maintained VX, I don't think you will have many major problems. I bought my VX almost three years ago. It had 25,000 miles on it from the original owner. I now have 85,000 miles on it. The only part I have replaced is my EGR valve ($150 and 10 minutes to change). True, there are some issues with the VX that you absolutely should know about. It does need (and completely deserves) to be properly babied. You just need to decide if you are a man of fashion or a man of reason. :bgwo:

Bart

PS - If you go with a VX, you will have this forum to lean on pretty much 24/7. We are all here because we love these little trucks and we all do our best to keep our VXes on the road and running strong.

PPS - Life is too short to drive an boring vehicle.

that would be 'a' unless followed by an a word i believe ;pg;

Ldub
02/13/2009, 09:37 AM
What's in the numbered boxes Bart? Spare parts?

LOL...who cares what's in em'...why aren't they in numerical ORDER?...:rotate:

tom4bren
02/13/2009, 09:39 AM
DAAAYAAHHHMMMM!!! Friday the 13th ... welcome to the first anual Bart bashin day.

pbkid
02/13/2009, 09:40 AM
woo hoo bart bashing...

Ldub
02/13/2009, 09:43 AM
woo hoo bart bashing...

AND, as an added bonus...THREAD JACKING!!!...:dance:

pbkid
02/13/2009, 09:44 AM
AND, as an added bonus...THREAD JACKING!!!...:dance:
lol i was gonna say that we really just jacked the crap outta this thread..

nfpgasmask
02/13/2009, 09:56 AM
Come on, all you people who have known me all this time can't POSSIBLY GUESS what is in those numbered bins? It should be REALLY EASY to figure out.

Bart

tom4bren
02/13/2009, 09:58 AM
PIX

nfpgasmask
02/13/2009, 10:01 AM
PIX

Dude, seriously, you GOTTA GUESS. :) I wasn't joking when I said it's REALLY EASY to figure out.

CrnCnn/Ascinder, you are not allowed to answer. :bwgy:

Bart

Ldub
02/13/2009, 10:01 AM
Come on, all you people who have known me all this time can't POSSIBLY GUESS what is in those numbered bins? It should be REALLY EASY to figure out.

Bart

Gasmasks...& LOTS of em'...:cool:

nfpgasmask
02/13/2009, 10:03 AM
Gasmasks...& LOTS of em'...:cool:

DING! DING! DING! - You win.

Tom, you want pics, go here:

http://www.gasmasks.net

:laughing: This has to be THE WORST thread jack ever.

Bart

kach22i
02/13/2009, 10:13 AM
Don't ever worry about hijacking a thread I've started once an answer has been reached.

As wedding anniversary gifts my wife and I gave each other East German gas masks from Harry's Army Surplus way back in 2002, a few months after 9/11/2001.

The VehiCross owner in Howell, MI has not returned my phone call. I might shoot him an e-mail out of curiosity.

nfpgasmask
02/13/2009, 10:13 AM
that would be 'a' unless followed by an a word i believe ;pg;

BTW, in my defense, I originally typed, "life is too short to drive an ugly vehicle", but after my initial preview, I changed it to "boring" to encompass not just the all the ugly vehicles out there, but the boring ones too. In doing this, I FAILED because I forgot to change the "an" to an "a".

:bgwo: Bart

nfpgasmask
02/13/2009, 10:15 AM
Don't ever worry about hijacking a thread I've started once an answer has been reached.

As wedding anniversary gifts my wife and I gave each other East German gas masks from Harry's Army Surplus way back in 2002, a few months after 9/11/2001.

THAT is funny, and thanks for not getting pissed about the jacking. :) There is still more room for input from other members about your question. I know for a fact that there is a VXer out there who has both a Jeep Cherokee and a VX right now.

:) Bart

tom4bren
02/13/2009, 11:04 AM
"there is a VXer out there who has both a Jeep and a VX right now."

NO, NOOOOOOO - don't ask Zeus' opinion - He'll start talkin 'bout 'lectric fans & stuff.

pbkid
02/13/2009, 01:30 PM
someone has this sticker on their VX...ive seen it i just cant remember who it was....
"friends dont let friends drive jeeps"

anyone know who that was???

bart-
makes more sense now ;)

kach22i
02/13/2009, 01:44 PM
My ride about 3-1/2 years ago shortly after I painted it.

I might do something similar to a VehiCross if it also starts to rust away.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads7/Zebra+Car+front1145470839.jpg http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads7/Zebra+Car+rear1145470858.jpg

What it tows.
http://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/forum/uploads/1165881286/gallery_181_6_102375.jpg
http://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/forum/uploads/1170984037/gallery_29_4_246315.jpg

http://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/forum/uploads/1146525402/gallery_181_6_88486.jpg
http://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/forum/uploads/1146525402/gallery_181_6_41714.jpg

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads7/T21146512044.jpg

Ldub
02/13/2009, 01:52 PM
My ride about 3-1/2 years ago shortly after I painted it.

I might do something similar to a VehiCross if it also starts to rust away.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads7/Zebra+Car+front1145470839.jpg http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads7/Zebra+Car+rear1145470858.jpg

So what EXACTLY does this have to do with gasmasks???....LOL, just kidding.:smilewink

I like the paint job, I think I just had a Marlin Perkins flashback...:freek:

etlsport
02/13/2009, 10:17 PM
pbkid.. my other fav bumper sticker i forget who has it but theres a vx that on the back window says "i got your jeep thing, now it hurts when i pee":laughing:

pbkid
02/13/2009, 11:24 PM
pbkid.. my other fav bumper sticker i forget who has it but theres a vx that on the back window says "i got your jeep thing, now it hurts when i pee":laughing:

isnt that alaskaVX??

Thmstec
02/14/2009, 12:27 AM
I just got back from a long, not so happy, day... after a long, hard week...

... I love this forum :p :bgwo:

tomdietrying
02/14/2009, 06:46 AM
Can I have a ride in your hoover craft?
Peace.
Tom

Ascinder
02/14/2009, 09:14 AM
I know for a fact that there is a VXer out there who has both a Jeep Cherokee and a VX right now.

I have a Jeep Comanche(pickup bed Cherokee) and the VX, and the VX owns it's face off.:cool:

Gussie2000
02/14/2009, 09:55 AM
Mmmmmmm...SHINEY...SHINY?...DOH!...:homer:

This is what a call fashion :)

Gussie2000
02/14/2009, 10:05 AM
So what EXACTLY does this have to do with gasmasks???....LOL, just kidding.:smilewink

I like the paint job, I think I just had a Marlin Perkins flashback...:freek:

I had a 1993 tracker,was my 1rst ride,drove it for 2 years,never let me down though :p

I don't know how they would handle your tracker in africa,but you may face few lawsuits :p

pbkid
02/14/2009, 10:38 AM
dude i call second dibs on the hovercraft!!!!

you should bring it to moab and we can all take turns.....we'll throw some cash for gas or whatever...

Pepino
02/14/2009, 04:19 PM

i just got two stickers that say "Jeep Recovery Vehicle" and "H3 Recovery Vehicle"

pbkid
02/14/2009, 08:23 PM
i just got two stickers that say "Jeep Recovery Vehicle" and "H3 Recovery Vehicle"

i like the jeep recovery vehicle one...i have seen that before but without having a REALLY badarse rig, i wouldnt try to go bragging around like that....if your going to state it, you better be able to back it up is my theory...

Gussie2000
02/14/2009, 10:56 PM

Bart

PPS - Life is too short to drive a boring vehicle.

And with this quote ends any doubts.........GO & GET THAT VX

kach22i
02/15/2009, 01:04 PM
I called an 1 hour and 40 minute away used car dealership with a silver 2-door Jeep Cherokee (had to have a rare 2-door). They say come on up, will give you a discount for cash and a 90 day warranty.

Problem was t just snowed the night before, but only about two inches and it was sunny, real sunny - a pretty day even if you were sick of winter and snow. My wife gives me her keys so that I can go to the bank and says; drive careful, my car (2000 Ford Focus) handles poorly in the snow.

I pull out backwards out of our driveway and into the street, not fast, but fast enough so that I will not get stuck on the concrete apron slope. The in the middle of the road traveling backwards at 2 mph I cut the wheel and squeeze the brakes. The car's front slides out from under me and the front pivots about. This was alarming, not fun as there was no feel at all or warning, and once the physics started there was no stopping it.

I pull up to the first stop sign about 150 feet from our house, a good place to tap the brakes well before the stop sign and see how slippery it is, right? I was going less than 5 mph touch the brakes lightly and start sliding, the car goes past the stop sign and follows the crown of the road like a hovercraft - a 30 foot slide from less than 5 mph, no steering, no brakes.

I have never driven in worse conditions, it was unreal.

I turn right and on to a street just a little more traveled where the snow melted a bit and you can see some pavement, it' slippery in spots but not terrible . The next turn on to a road even more traveled and it's a wet street but all bare pavement and no problems at all, but I drive under the speed limit of 30 mph just to be safe.

I drive south on State Street to the regional mall where the bank is, there is a wide gentle turn from the 40 mph street (I'm doing 30 by now). The drive into the mall has not been plowed or traveled on, like going from black to white. I slow down to 15 mph look in my rear view mirror to make sure I don't get rear ended, change to the deceleration lane while slowing down to 10 mph. My foot is ever so slightly on the gas pedal gong a steady speed and bored of driving like a granny.

I enter the wide, long and large turn at 10 mph, I go into the turn just fine but about half way through momentum is taking me toward the far curb a good 25 feet away. In that 25 foot travel distance I have no brakes, and no steering. The drivers side front wheel contacts the curb on it's broadside flat somewhere above 5 mph, the car does not rest there, like a hockey puck the car slides towards the middle of the road and only because it's climbing the crown of the road comes to a rest.

I'm really freaked out, but know I have to move or someone else coming down the wide turn will have no brakes and bump into me. The car takes off to the first stop light and slides to a stop at the stop sign. I turn on to the circular drive which is bare wet pavement and feel at little shimmy at 30 mph. I look at the steering wheel and it's cocked a good 45 degrees while going straight. :oops:

I go to the bank, take out extra money and go to the nearby Firestone repair shop off the mall's circular drive which is open on Saturday.

Lifetime Alignment $160
Tie rod end (left inner - bent like a fork) $218
Tie Rod ends (r,L outer - worn from age) $195

.........blah, blah total is $608.90 and I get the car a couple of hours later.

Happy Valentines day honey - I love you! :p ...............Thanks for letting me take your car.

Okay, maybe it's fate giving me a clothesline and a straight-arm or the infamous Focus poor snow handling bit me in the arse. However something new came out of this. At 2:00 PM today (Sunday) I looked at a 1998 TJ Jeep Wrangler (Jeep Jeep) for near half the price of others at $3,650. At this price it needed work, more work than I wanted to get involved in. The Jeep is black (like the Tracker was) with a hardtop for winter, and would look great in Zebra Stripes one day.:bgwo:

However the private seller's daily driver a black 1998 S-10 pick-up (I think short box) 4x4, 4.3L automatic with 150,000 miles (rust around rear wheel flairs) is also for sell (not listed yet) for just a little less.

We shook hands, I'm picking it up Monday night.

I did not even test drive it (will do Monday night when he has more time), and forgot to write down the VIN.

I got a good vibe about the guy and the truck, I think I'm buying this one the old fashion way - kind of in need and in a hurry.

I'll eventually have to get a VehiCROSS, it will just be a few more years.:cool:

pbkid
02/15/2009, 01:09 PM
wow, too bad about the focus....gotta love that black ice...

good luck with your new ride and i hope we see you in the future ;)

kach22i
02/15/2009, 01:12 PM
wow, too bad about the focus....gotta love that black ice...

good luck with your new ride and i hope we see you in the future ;)
Black Ice is nothing compared to whatever this was. The sun melted the top layer of snow, the same way a ski does.

pbkid
02/15/2009, 01:12 PM
the only marks on my poor stitch was done because of black ice....got in a fight with a yukon and stitch lost....

kach22i
02/18/2009, 10:10 AM
I ended up with a 4x4 S10 LS 4.3L V6, 1998.

Pictures here:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=457944

Cheers all.

kach22i
03/13/2009, 01:45 PM
It will be a while before I get a VehiCROSS, but I am down one vehicle. The Tracker went to the puppy farm.

Sold today for $50 cash, with spare top, Haynes manual, owners manual, bike rack which hooks to the spare tire, extra floor mats, and a parking brake cable which was never installed.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x295/kach22i/Zebra%20Tracker/IMGP7645.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x295/kach22i/Zebra%20Tracker/IMGP7646.jpg

There she goes............................my S10 in foreground, a VehiCROSS would have made a better picture. They say some Trackers get modified with the same 4.3L V6 transplanted and scream like the wind - if only it were not for the rust.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x295/kach22i/Zebra%20Tracker/IMGP7648.jpg

Body was rusted off the frame, just reminding myself how bad it got near the end.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x295/kach22i/Zebra%20Tracker/IMGP7647.jpg

The retired guy taking it strips Trackers for parts. At least I know my deathtrap will not be on the road endangering the public.:bgwo:

pbkid
03/13/2009, 01:57 PM
its always sad when you gotta let something long term like that go!

good luck!!

circmand
03/13/2009, 02:32 PM
the top and maybe a few pieces