PDA

View Full Version : My engine is TOAST

DaveMcKenz
02/09/2009, 04:44 PM
I was driving 70 mph on open interstate when my oil pressure light started to blink. About 5 seconds later the engine stopped and I coasted to a stop. I checked my oil and there was none. I poured in a quart of oil and it came right out of a 3 inch hole in the oilpan. I had it towed in and my mechanic tells me that the engine put a rod through the pan. He says I need a new engine.
I have found two rebuilt engines; one for $2300+800 core+shipping, one for $3200+400 core+free shipping incl core return.
The mechanic seems very competent and feels comfortable with swap.
Any ideas?

pbkid
02/09/2009, 05:16 PM
sounds like a great deal...i searched and i ended up paying 4,000 for my new motor....

Gussie2000
02/09/2009, 05:18 PM
I also believe the price is just fair though.

So my suggestion is : Go for it

crager34
02/09/2009, 05:57 PM
NONONO!!! Part it out so the rest of us can reap the benefits of your loss.

Seriously..... Good deal on the engine.

pbkid
02/09/2009, 06:51 PM
NONONO!!! Part it out so the rest of us can reap the benefits of your loss.

Seriously..... Good deal on the engine.

lol when i read the first part of this i was like WTF thats messed up!!!

then i read the second part and i got a good laugh...

CowboyErik
02/09/2009, 11:36 PM
www.car-part.com

salvage yarts all accross america, get a good used late model engine, low miles! save money!

VXIRONwoMAN
02/09/2009, 11:56 PM
First off, that sounds like a great deal! :)

Second off... :_wtf: Where the heck have you been!?! :eek: NoctunalVX and I live in Edison Park (down the street from you! :eek: ). Member since 2006 :eek: and this is the first we have seen or heard of you?!? :_brickwal Or is this a computer glitch? :confused:

Hope you come out to the next meet. :cool: We should be having one in the near future. :cool:

Well if there is anything you need help with just holler. :wave: We are neighbors. :flower: We have a good amount of resources and a great (and I do mean GREAT) mechanic that most Chicagoland VXers go to. :smack:

Good luck! :luck:

nocturnalVX
02/10/2009, 12:01 AM
A member since 2006? Park Ridge??
:disturbed

Good luck getting your VX fixed ASAP. Hope to see yu at our next meet!

VCrossfan
02/10/2009, 06:12 AM
I was driving 70 mph on open interstate when my oil pressure light started to blink. About 5 seconds later the engine stopped and I coasted to a stop. I checked my oil and there was none. I poured in a quart of oil and it came right out of a 3 inch hole in the oilpan. I had it towed in and my mechanic tells me that the engine put a rod through the pan. He says I need a new engine.
I have found two rebuilt engines; one for $2300+800 core+shipping, one for $3200+400 core+free shipping incl core return.
The mechanic seems very competent and feels comfortable with swap.
Any ideas?

WOW Dave sorry to hear, If you decide not fix it and want to sell it "as is" PM me...

VXIRONwoMAN
02/10/2009, 10:06 AM
You guys are trying to take candy from a baby! Frickin' VULTURES!!! :p Go find your own that is already up for sale; instead of trying to convince new and active members to get rid of theirs. Our numbers are small enough. You should be ashamed of yourselves!

CANNIBALS! :right:

I'm not going to post my VX ailments anymore... there will be a zombified VX crowd marching toward my garage, scratching at the windows, peeling back the siding, moaning at the unfufilled need for used parts! :freek: LOL... actually that's not too far fetched...

We need to be convincing him to go to Moab! His motor should be broken in by then or he can break it in on the way there...hmmm? :grino:

pbkid
02/10/2009, 02:00 PM
You guys are trying to take candy from a baby! Frickin' VULTURES!!! :p Go find your own that is already up for sale; instead of trying to convince new and active members to get rid of theirs. Our numbers are small enough. You should be ashamed of yourselves!

I'm not going to post my VX ailments anymore... there will be a zombified VX crowd marching toward my garage, scratching at the windows, peeling back the siding, moaning at the unfufilled need for used parts! :freek: LOL... actually that's not too far fetched...

We need to be convincing him to go to Moab! His motor should be broken in by then or he can break it in on the way there...hmmm? :grino:

i call dibs on your wheels and your nose mask.....:eek: :)

DaveMcKenz
02/10/2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys for the encouragement. I'm trying to set this up via long distance since the car is with my son at University of Iowa. I will keep you posted and thanks again. I think I am looking at $5K installed rebuilt engine with 12/12 warranty. BTW my car is a sweet 2002 proton yellow w 40K miles, so it hurts a lot. Oops! It's a 2001, I goofed.

VCrossfan
02/10/2009, 05:53 PM

LOL...That's funny,,, and no need for name calling. Some people that have a catastrophic failure lean towards the only way out is to fix it because they think it might not be worth anything "as is".. Candy from a baby?? Did I throw a price out there, or try low ball figure?? NO... I'm looking for a project VX with no motor and will give someone a fair price, and as cheap as VX's are out there with GOOD RUNNING motors they can add alittle more cash with my Fair offer and get another one without the hassle of replacing or having an engine replaced and guess what, two people are happy, a broken VX gets fixed and a homeless one gets an owner. And I don't need any parts I have all I need, just looking to resurrect a broken VX...

Riff Raff
02/11/2009, 03:23 AM
Thanks guys for the encouragement. I'm trying to set this up via long distance since the car is with my son at University of Iowa. I will keep you posted and thanks again. I think I am looking at $5K installed rebuilt engine with 12/12 warranty. BTW my car is a sweet 2002 proton yellow w 40K miles, so it hurts a lot.

2002 ??? Hmmm, I guess I missed that year's model.

DaveMcKenz
02/11/2009, 06:01 AM
2002 ??? Hmmm, I guess I missed that year's model.

Oops! I meant 2001. Edited.

DaveMcKenz
02/11/2009, 05:59 PM
Well I bought a new longblock rebuilt engine today, from Dahmer's Powertrain in Missouri. It has a three year warranty. I also found a replacement oil pan. The engine will arrive in Iowa City where my car rests tomorrow. With a little luck I'll be back in business in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for your encouragement.

VCrossfan
02/11/2009, 07:10 PM
Great to hear Dave.. It was nice chatting with you...Good Luck..

pbkid
02/11/2009, 08:35 PM
glad to hear you are keeping it alive....

:):):)

vxbadboy
02/17/2009, 06:48 PM
I am a new member here, and love all this great info!! My motor has a bad noise, still runs but must find one! help me please!

VCrossfan
02/17/2009, 07:10 PM
I am a new member here, and love all this great info!! My motor has a bad noise, still runs but must find one! help me please!

Welcome and give us all the info possible, even a sound clip would be cool...