PDA

View Full Version : Removing Passenger Seat

JAMAS
02/09/2009, 07:48 AM
I haven't purchased my VX just yet, I am hoping maybe this weekend. However, I have been reading ALOT of the forums and there has been some discussion about what to do with the back seat(car seat, leg room, etc.). Has anyone ever considered removing the passenger seat all together. It would solve the whole car seat issue. Plenty of leg room and added storage space. I guess this option kinda make sense to me since I would usually only transport myself and soon, a baby. If my Wife rode with me, she could ride in the back with the baby. The VX is not going to be our primary vehicle. My wife has our "family car".

Thoughts?

etlsport
02/09/2009, 07:54 AM
i rode without a passenger seat for about a week.. good visibility.. the only thing to think about is that the TOD computer is under that seat, so it would be exposed and you would need to be really careful about stepping on it

other than that theres really no reason it couldnt be done.. but the floor is not flat at all there just fyi

its REALLY easy to take the seat in and out though so no reason you couldnt try it

JAMAS
02/09/2009, 08:01 AM
Do you think it would be easy to put some type of cover over the TOD computer?

Maybe with velcro so it just covers and stays in place until it needs to be accessed?

nfpgasmask
02/09/2009, 08:39 AM
Do you think it would be easy to put some type of cover over the TOD computer?

Maybe with velcro so it just covers and stays in place until it needs to be accessed?

I would say you could probably construct some sort of box to go over the important stuff down there. If you did it right, it would be kinda cool. Maybe something made out of diamond plate that can be bolted down where the seat was, and give you a flat, slip resistant surface to step on.

Bart

JAMAS
02/09/2009, 08:52 AM
That's a great idea!

etlsport
02/09/2009, 08:55 AM
I would say you could probably construct some sort of box to go over the important stuff down there. If you did it right, it would be kinda cool. Maybe something made out of diamond plate that can be bolted down where the seat was, and give you a flat, slip resistant surface to step on.

Bart

that was about my thought process.. i wouldnt just lay something over it because it would still crush.. if it were me i would probably do a wooden box that would fit over it under the carpet

of course i would also probably build a storage compartment into the passenger seat footwell since the space would never be used forward of where the old seat was

TheGanzman
02/09/2009, 09:02 AM
Along the lines of "rear seat passenger access", I've been thinking about my old Jeep Wrangler, vis a vis the front seats. They had a "slide & tilt" mechanism built into each one - does anyone else remember this? It occurs to me that it might be a reasonably simple task to retrofit that mechanism to our Recaro front seats. It's on MY list of things to do, assuming I can find a Wrangler at a fairly close junkyard. Has anyone else tried this?

JAMAS
02/09/2009, 09:16 AM
that was about my thought process.. i wouldnt just lay something over it because it would still crush.. if it were me i would probably do a wooden box that would fit over it under the carpet

of course i would also probably build a storage compartment into the passenger seat footwell since the space would never be used forward of where the old seat was

I am hoping to be able to swap the passenger seat back in if I were ever to go on a trip with a buddy or something and need the storage space in the back. Plus, I wouldn't want to be "Driving Miss Daisy" if there wasn't a baby involved. So the under the carpet idea and storage compartment would not give me that ability as easily. However, I was thinking maybe I could take both ideas and combine them. Have a larger bolt on cover that has a storage compartment built on to that. So if I unbolt it, the storage compartment comes with it and I am ready to put the passenger seat back in.

Riff Raff
02/09/2009, 03:56 PM
JAMAS--- First; congratulations on the "baby on the way"!!! Second; the #1 reason people sell their VX is because they started a family.

The VX is not a family-friendly type vehicle. 99.9% of VX owner's are either Single or are a Couple with no kids (or kids that are already grown and gone).

If you are just starting a family, then you need to seriously reconsider if the VX will fit within your new future lifestyle-to-be. A 2-door SUV with a pain-in-the-@ss back seat like the VX does not suit families at all. I hate to burst your bubble, but perhaps you should re-focus on 4-door vehicles. Again, congrats on being a future father!!!

JAMAS
02/09/2009, 04:54 PM
JAMAS--- First; congratulations on the "baby on the way"!!! Second; the #1 reason people sell their VX is because they started a family.

The VX is not a family-friendly type vehicle. 99.9% of VX owner's are either Single or are a Couple with no kids (or kids that are already grown and gone).

If you are just starting a family, then you need to seriously reconsider if the VX will fit within your new future lifestyle-to-be. A 2-door SUV with a pain-in-the-@ss back seat like the VX does not suit families at all. I hate to burst your bubble, but perhaps you should re-focus on 4-door vehicles. Again, congrats on being a future father!!!

Riff Raff -
While I appreciate your concern, I am very aware of the need for a 4 door vehicle when one starts a family. The VX will be in addition to 2 other "family friendly" cars. However, there is a possibility that at some point in time the baby will ride in the VX which is why I am thinking about sensible ways to accommodate that.

Thanks again for the concern and the congrats!!!:bwgy:

pbkid
02/09/2009, 05:17 PM
Riff Raff -
While I appreciate your concern, I am very aware of the need for a 4 door vehicle when one starts a family. The VX will be in addition to 2 other "family friendly" cars. However, there is a possibility that at some point in time the baby will ride in the VX which is why I am thinking about sensible ways to accommodate that.

Thanks again for the concern and the congrats!!!:bwgy:

ya, congrats on the baby on the way....exciting stuff :)

JAMAS
02/09/2009, 05:27 PM
ya, congrats on the baby on the way....exciting stuff :)

Thanks PBKID! She is only 13 weeks along, but I am pretty excited. We heard the heartbeat again today. I can't describe what that feels like, pretty cool.

-FYI.....Once I secure my VX, I will sign up as a site supporter. I don't even own a VX yet, and already everyone has been awesome.

Gussie2000
02/09/2009, 05:28 PM
I drove without the passenger seat for about two weeks when i was installing the new wiring for my new audio set up.Was cool when the seat wasn't there,but the TOD ECU was a hell of a worry.I drop my sister to the train station every morning while heading to my company's office;But every time she's about to get in got to remind her about where to step in before she boards the UFO.

Riff Raff
02/09/2009, 10:19 PM
JAMAS--- Cool. Sounds like you've done your homework. WE WELCOME YOUR FAMILY TO OUR FAMILY!!! Riff Raff

P.S.-- If you opted not to buy a VX due to family constraints, then I would have recommended a pre-owned "Nissan Xterra" as a possible alternate choice. They have 4-doors, are still somewhat sporty like the VX and have won multiple awards by many Off-Road Magazines including 4-Wheeler of the Year. Incidentally, the VX was 1st Runner-Up in the year 2000 of a major Off-Road Magazine.

Knivx
02/10/2009, 02:44 PM
One thing to consider. My wife and I babysat for some friends of ours. During that time we had to put the little one in my Vx as my wifes car was at home. I folded one side of the back seat down and just put the car seat in through the back door. It sucks but works if need be. Seeing as how you have other vehicles for the baby and the Vx would only be an occasional ride then I'd say try that. Your wife will then have a nice seat up front while baby is in back. I for one wouldn't want to ride in the back with a baby seat. It's not the footroom but more so the width of the seat. Plus it's mildly claustrophobic in the back.