PDA

View Full Version : Driving Lights Not Secure

tomdietrying
07/17/2003, 08:55 AM
I bought my VX used and now I'm noticing that my driving lights (the small, rounds ones under the main head lights) keep falling out. The way they seem to held in place is by styrafoam. There has to be a better way than this. Is there a bracket or something like that that will secure the lights to that part of the cladding? I'm not sure if the previous owner did something to the lights, but this does not seem like an untouched set of driving lights would be. How are a set of these lights held one if they had not been tampered with?:confused:

Thanks for any kind of help with this.:)

Dallas4u
07/17/2003, 09:08 AM
I haven't really looked at the inside of the front cladding, but I have had the round driving lights off many times, and they just turn about 1/8th of a turn to come out, and 1/8th or a turn to lock back in... no styrafoam for sure. I'd say someone did something to the inside cladding and didn't know how to put them back in correctly, so they 'modded' it in.

Triathlete
07/17/2003, 09:45 AM
The foam is just a seal. As Dallas said, it takes about an 8th of a turn to secure them. It is a little easier to turn from the back.

tomdietrying
07/17/2003, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I took the lights out and everything had been trimmed. I guess like Dallas said was true. The previous owner couldn't get the lights back in so he trimmed the inside of the socket cladding.

Is there something I can do or buy to keep them in? Right now they are only in place by the styrafoam. You can guess that's not real good.

Dallas4u
07/17/2003, 12:41 PM
Sounds like you can either modify a bracket yourself to help hold them in, or... you you are planning to go through the trouble of taking the cladding off already, you can do what others have done and modify a set of PIAA driving lights to fit in the holes.

Do a search on this subject if interested in the PIAA direction.

paultvx
07/17/2003, 01:23 PM
That's odd... posted a reply and it went off to the 5th dimension.

Anway... If you're going to spend the $$$ for a set of PIAAs (way overpriced) it'd be better to spend it on a set of Hella Micro DE projector fog lights. The stock high beams do a pretty good job. It's the low beams that are kind of crappy. Because of that I think a set of fog lights will be much more useful than a set of driving lights... which is what the PIAA 1200s are. Besides, legally you can't really use driving lights on the public roads. Fogs are OK though.

Take a look in the mods forum. Scott, aka Moncha, posted a very detailed write up on his install. You may have to go back a few pages. The post was put up couple months ago.

Moncha
07/17/2003, 04:03 PM
It's right here in the How To's Section (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1184).

tomdietrying
07/17/2003, 07:46 PM
Thanks everyone. Scott, thanks for your earlier post. I missed that one.

Tom