PDA

View Full Version : Swamper LTB tire wear?

Triathlete
07/16/2003, 11:06 PM
Any one know wear I might be able to find info on the "expected" tire wear for swamper LTB's? Or if you've owned a set how they held up! :thanx:

dtruax
07/17/2003, 08:13 AM
I am in a Jeep club, and the swampers are known for really bad tire wear - people are alway complaining the the tread just wears away like an eraser when they are on the road.

Triathlete
07/17/2003, 09:57 AM
Or does anyone make a tire that is as aggressive but with a harder rubber compound for better wear? I really like the way they look plus work offroad but don't want to replace every 20,000 miles.

AlaskaVX
07/17/2003, 11:25 AM
Ive heard that the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw radials have a descent lifetime, thats my next set of tires

Rook
07/18/2003, 05:24 AM
Another option may be the TrXus M/T also by Interco. No firsthand experience, but they've gotten good reviews from all I have read. They're also supposed to have good on road manners for being such an agressive tire. Just another option you may want to look at.

Tone
07/19/2003, 04:17 PM
Typically the better grip a tire offers, the softer or stickier it will be and consequently offer less mileage. This is especially true of offroad tires since they are designed obviously for OFF road but typically driven ON road more than 80% of the time, causing excessive wear.

I ran the new TrXus Radial STSs (see my gallery) to Moab and back and was very impressed. They are not quite as aggressive as the Mud tires but performed extremely well on AND offroad and get a lot of attention for their looks. They have gotten great reviews in some of the 4x4 mags and a number of Heep guys run them. After 2500miles, I have seen very little wear and am impressed with the dry and wet road handling of them.

An extremely great offroad tire is the Swamper but lousy and loud on the highway and 20K would be a miracle with that bias tire. I have heard they will literally come apart if driven at highway speeds for an extended period and Tim transports his to Moab for that reason. Ideally we should have 2 sets - on and offroad as one tire cannot fill both options completely. I still would like to sell my TrXus Radial STSs so I can get a bigger set if anyone is interested - $399 for wheels and tires plus shipping - fits any VX w/o any mods required.

Doc4h
07/19/2003, 06:33 PM
I have the TruXus Radialss myself. I have yet to really get them in the dirt, but the little I have they have been great not to mention they are fun in the sand. They do handle very well on the road in all conditions and not to noisy and they look MEAN!