PDA

View Full Version : Best way or product to remove scratches from cladding?

VX KAT
02/03/2009, 02:06 PM
I tackled my pinstripes on the paint:

~Tried Meguiar's ScratchX by hand on paint....didn't really do a thing

~Bought a 6" random orbital buffer/polisher from Black & Decker

~Next up 3M Rubbing compound with buffer....took 2 applications and the scratches are faded enough that you really have to look for them, just in the right light. This stuff was "tamer" than I expected, so you can't screw up the paint on 1st or 2nd pass.

~Used ICE polishing liquid, looks great! That's stuff is really like spreading a thin layer of vegetable oil on the car...do ***NOT*** use too much, it just gets harder and harder to wipe off.

Now....on to my cladding....light to medium scratches from the bushes.

Should I use some plastic scratch remover (I saw something called PlastX on shelf) and then apply the Stoner Trim Shine? (nfpgasmask...you have me convinced!) :_thinking I even thought "maybe" I could use buffer with the ScratchX stuff on cladding...hummm....

Or should I try the Trim Shine first, and see how well it masks them? (but it's bugging me, I know they are there)

At the rate I'm going, I'll be working on my foggy headlights in no time!

tomdietrying
02/03/2009, 04:48 PM
You're in Arizona............which means you'll be doing some offroading with the crew over there. What I'm saying is............................. Pin stripes look cool. Don't worry about it.
Peace.
Tom

Doomer
02/04/2009, 09:08 AM
After reading through the forums here, I tried some stuff called "Refinish/Restorer" by Car Systems. It appears to be a German product with only 1 importer out in California. You will find many other posts about it on cladding cleaners here on the site.
This stuff is amazing! I wish I had before/after pictures. My wife wants me to do the small cladding on her Mini-Cooper after seeing the results, which is saying something! We also did a bud's older K-5 Blazer with similar results.
The company that sells it is Diteck, I think. They are an auto shop supplier. You will find links on other forums here. It costs about $48 after shipping and comes in a 1 liter can. As near as I can tell, this 1 liter can will last me about 10 years!
I used a paint brush to put it on, but I see others have used a sponge, which might work better. You just brush on a very thin coat and let it dry. It worked so well, I tried it on my spoiler, mirror caps, and hood inset. It restored ALL of them to showroom condition.
It doesn't remove the scratches, but makes the finish look new, so the scratches don't show, unless you really look close. And I mean close!
As you can see, I am a fan of it. Check some of the other threads here, some have posted photos. Good luck!
Robert

VX KAT
02/04/2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks Doomer. I do recall that name now that you mentioned it. ISCE posted some before/after pics too. Looked amazing! Since there's so many applications in the 1 liter for $52 (OUCH-SHIPPING $12.50), anybody want to "split" a bottle? I guess we'd need a similar container/paint can to do it. Anybody?? Ideas?

Any Phoenix / Tucson VX'ers interested, I could deliver it in person in PHX. I come to PHX 1-2 times/month, plus I still have to go to SBC in Mesa to have Tim install my window brackets. :wave:

Triathlete
02/04/2009, 12:28 PM
Best way or product to remove scratches from cladding?

Line-x
This is the route I will take when mine gets bad enough!:cool:

VCAMILO
02/04/2009, 01:32 PM
YEAH! Pin stipes are cool!

"Refinish/Restorer" is the best for the cladding. Returned mine back to new looking after one application. I was told to use two but got lazy after the first one.

Bulldoggie
02/05/2009, 08:49 PM
I think it was Spazz that uses a hot air gun.
I tried one, and it helped.
Just don't over do it.

pbkid
02/05/2009, 10:47 PM
that would scare me to heat gun my cladding... but it does blend small scratches in plastic...