PDA

View Full Version : Torque converter question

VX1
07/16/2003, 07:54 PM
I've had a small oil leak (since some offroad adventures), when I got under the truck, I found it was coming from the torque converter (in front of the transmission). I took off the crossmember that protects the engine oil pan, cleaned the oil, and tighten bolts and waited to see if still has the leak.

It does, right at the cover under the torque converter (about a 4" x 7" black metal plate held on by four small bolts), but only immediately after driving. I took this cover off, and was surprised to find ALOT of sand. I cleaned out as much as I could, cleaned and replaced the plate cover.

So, if anyone knows for sure, I have two questions:

1) Is this using the same oil as the transmission, I mean, am I going to find the entire transmission full of sand?, or should the transmission be sealed off from this area pretty good? (I've got no ill transmission symptoms.)

2) The little plate cover thing I took off the bottom of the torque converter, is that supposed to have a gasket all the way around it?, cause mine just has a strip on one side next the the oil pan. I see no way this plate was ever meant to hold any amount of oil up in the converter, because it's just a plate with 4 bolts, am I right? Is that area usually pretty void of oil?

Thanks guys- Scott

AnalogVX
07/16/2003, 08:34 PM
The plate thingy is just a cover/inspection plate. If there was a lot sand up in there I would think it may have worked it's way around a seal or something. Can someone else chime in on this? I may just take mine off to inspect and clean out as well.

-x-
07/17/2003, 04:28 PM
Is how i did not get away ;eekb; anyhow ;Db; im leakin in tha same spot just saw it the other night. Ima be cleaning tomorrow so ill post if i have anything helpful to add....x

Heraclid
07/17/2003, 05:05 PM
Wow, I hope everything works out okay for you both. I was up under mine again yesterday and STILL found a ton of crap I had to try to get out from under there. And I wasn't nearly as aggressive as either of you with those mudholes, so if I have as much sand up in mine as I do, I can only imagine either of yours. Yesterday I just focused on the rear half of the vehicle and this weekend I'll hit the front good again. Haven't noticed anything yet but will look for this on mine as well and I definitely appreciate the heads-up on it.

VX1
07/17/2003, 05:50 PM
Alright, in studying this thing, the plate is just a cover that allows the flex plate (flywheel) to be inspected. I suggest everyone that went offroading that day, take your plate off and see how much sand you have up there. This plate is not sealed on well by any means, so I think it probably happened to everyone's.

The good news is, the leak is not transmission oil. The bad news is, it's engine oil. I can't find any other place the oil could be coming from (like the intake manifold), so 99% chance, it is a rear main seal leak.

-Scott