PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Best product to remove pinstripes!

VX KAT
01/30/2009, 12:21 PM
I've researched many threads on products, but not sure what's best for removing some Arizona pinstrips on
both the paint & cladding. Dang, my first off-road trip and we got pinstriped up the wazoo! :(
Hubby's FJ got it worse, he's wider!

I've seen these mentioned:
claybars - but I think that's for surface impurities /grime (?)
ICE clay bar liquid
Moncha used Zaino Z-5
Workmesiter used Griot's Machine Polish #2 (and also has the Foxfire color like me)

Moncha said the Z-5 can be used for LIGHT scratches....Mine may be a touch deeper...what do you guys recommend for these?

Triathlete
01/30/2009, 12:27 PM
The easy way....take it to the detail shop and have them buff them out. Or if you know someone in the know...they could help you do it. It is a tedious job and you have to be carefull not to go through the clear coat. I did mine with the help of Bob (VXCaver) who used to do paint and body work in the past. That was to prep it for a car show. Hasn't been done since...I wear the stripes like badges now. As far as the cladding if the scratches are deep there is only one option...line-x.

pbkid
01/30/2009, 12:28 PM
deeper ones so you dont notice the others???? thats a lot of people's theory... :)

pbkid
01/30/2009, 12:32 PM
The easy way....take it to the detail shop and have them buff them out. Or if you know someone in the know...they could help you do it. It is a tedious job and you have to be carefull not to go through the clear coat. I did mine with the help of Bob (VXCaver) who used to do paint and body work in the past. That was to prep it for a car show. Hasn't been done since...I wear the stripes like badges now. As far as the cladding if the scratches are deep there is only one option...line-x.

there ya go!!! likewise..

nfpgasmask
01/30/2009, 01:50 PM
LOL, you should see my VX. :) If you plan to wheel with it, you might as well get used to it. All my cladding scratches seem to disappear when I wash and use Trim Shine, but my paint job is tore up, bigtime.

A good detailer should be able to buff out the paint, and the cladding will look good with a good washing and a coat of Trim Shine.

Bart

Ldub
01/30/2009, 08:32 PM
I'm with Billy & the Kid...

Trail "badges" & "pinstriping" are worn as a point of offroad honor...:thumbup:

It tells everyone who bothers to look, this ain't no mall crawler...:naughty:

Suzy may wear straight sheetmetal someday in the future, but I doubt she'll ever take home any beauty prizes.

VX KAT
01/30/2009, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I know I should look at them as a badge of honor...but, dang, the 1st time out! I've only had it a month! We'd never encountered this robust, thorny bush before, I think it might be a Manzanita bush.....trail had lots of growth in center, as well as the bushy sides so we knew it hadn't been traveled in a long time....got almost to the end of an 8 mile loop and found it blocked by a homeowner. :madp: Had plowed tons of dirt across trail, like 4 ft high, and put up a gate, just a gate....not attached to anything! No way to go around....Had to turn around and do it all again....pinstripes round 2!

pbkid
01/31/2009, 09:24 AM
ouch, sounds like you guys had fun though....

maybe someone can chime in who keeps their VX tip top with some info for you....

you only seemed to attract the guys who love pinstripes ;)

kodiak
01/31/2009, 12:44 PM
This is the best way to do it, but it’s kind of a pain.

http://www.langka.com/clear_coat_repair.php

P.S. I removed a scratch this way and it ready works, but it makes it look a little to good. You can see how crappy the rest of the factory paint job is.:rolleyes: