PDA

View Full Version : What's included in the roof rack kit?

VCAMILO
07/16/2003, 04:49 PM
A buddy of mine works @ an Isuzu dealer and he might be able to get me the roof rack kit and the front bra for $330.00 total. But would I need anything else? I keep hearing about mighty mounts???:confused: Your info would be greatly appreciated. ;Dy;

IsuZOOM
07/16/2003, 05:10 PM
The roof rack kit includes everything you'll need to have roof racks. If you want specific mounts for skiis, bikes, spare tires, etc., that's what you'll need to purchase separately.

TucsonVX
07/16/2003, 05:34 PM
I have the roof rack, i also have a thule bike rack, The Thule uses square tubeing to mount to. I had some custom brackets manufactured that slide into the Isuzu Rack. That provide for the Thule mount to connect to. It works great and looks good. The mounts were made from stainless steel, stregnth, and no rustings, the cost was $250. way to expensive but the contract was already made and they had to make some custom tools to cut the groves in the stainless. I'am sure there are other options.

Jeff

edyavno
07/16/2003, 06:58 PM
No need for custom brackets, that's what the mighty mounts are for: to attach any Yakima stuff to the OEM Yakima roof rack (that's what we have). Depending on what you're attaching, you'll need either horizontal of vertical mighty mounts, check Yakima site for more details, ether way they are below $30 for all 4.

There's plenty more info on this both here on club.vmag. Here's my resent post on attaching a bike rack (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?postid=10980#post10980), may help as well.

VCAMILO
07/16/2003, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the info edyavno... Well EVERYONE!! ;Db;
Great Deal or what? The dealer markup is 65%. ;eekb;

AnalogVX
07/16/2003, 08:41 PM
The mighty mounts work only on some Yakima and Thule carriers. It all depends if the load bars pass through like of the fork mount bike carriers. Sounds like WetMutt encountered this type of carrier.
Horizontal part #2-90116-905-0 for bikes
Vertical part #2-90116-821-0 for snow boards, skis

I think this is what's included in the kit http://www.vehicross.info/downloads/vx_roof_rack.pdf

kpaske
07/16/2003, 09:13 PM
If you are going to buy mounts for anything like the LoadWarrior or MegaWarrior baskets, I suggest getting the locking mounts. They cost about $35 a pair, but they're worth it to protect your expensive accessories from being nabbed by the bad guys.

All in all I probably have nearly $1000 worth of Yakima rack equipment and it's worth every penny. If you can get it at dealer cost, all the better!

edyavno
07/17/2003, 06:40 AM
As far as I know the mighty mounts work on all Yakima carriers, don't know about Thule.
Also, as I've mentioned in my post about the bike rack, they don't come with the roof rack, and have to be ordered separately.

Originally posted by AnalogVX
The mighty mounts work only on some Yakima and Thule carriers. It all depends if the load bars pass through like of the fork mount bike carriers. Sounds like WetMutt encountered this type of carrier.
Horizontal part #2-90116-905-0 for bikes
Vertical part #2-90116-821-0 for snow boards, skis

I think this is what's included in the kit http://www.vehicross.info/downloads/vx_roof_rack.pdf

AnalogVX
07/17/2003, 11:51 AM
Unless you rig up a round or square load bar, carriers like Yakima's Viper won't work with the mighty mounts. The OEM areo bar doesn't pass throught the mounting points. This is probably why WetMutt integrated the square bars to VX roof rack. I ended up using Yakima's Raptor bike carrier. The flange mounting point can utilize the horizontal mighty mounts.