PDA

View Full Version : Re-setting Computer

Bieredalsace
01/29/2009, 02:41 PM
I'm getting the "check trans" and "check engine" lights coming on. Sometimes when it's very cold or rainy thge lights go off. A couple of months ago I had the tranny serviced, new filter and fluid and the "Tranny" light went off. Now its on again. If it stops snowing maybe I'llgo to Autozone and ask them to check the codes.
I hear folks here saying to "reset the computer". Is this as simple as disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and then reconnecting it? Will this reset the computer?
Thanks

Bieredalsace
01/29/2009, 02:42 PM
I'm getting the "check trans" and "check engine" lights coming on. Sometimes when it's very cold or rainy the lights go off. A couple of months ago I had the tranny serviced, new filter and fluid and the "Tranny" light went off. Now its on again. If it stops snowing maybe I'll go to Autozone and ask them to check the codes.
I hear folks here saying to "reset the computer". Is this as simple as disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and then reconnecting it? Will this reset the computer?
Thanks

Ldub
01/29/2009, 02:52 PM
Yep, unhook one of the cables for 20-30 min & you're good to go...:_wrench:

Also, if you go exploring edit buttons & whatnot, you'll find it possible to delete a thread when you acidentally double post...:smilewink

deermagnet
01/29/2009, 03:20 PM
Is this as simple as disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and then reconnecting it?
Apparently, there's an even easier way to do it, though I've never tried it myself. The '99 repair manual says-
"If you have no Tech 2: To clear the DTC, remove Fuse "PCM" (FL-4, 40A) for at least 10 seconds."

That's the #2 fuse under the hood below the #1 ABS fuse. On my VX it's labeled as the ECM fuse, not PCM. Make sure the ignition switch is off before removing battery cables or the PCM fuse. I think many would be interested to know if that works. It would be much easier and quicker than the battery deal, and ya wouldn't lose your time and radio station presets. :)

Ya can go to Wal-Mart and they have two or three OBDII code scanners for $70-95 that'll tell you the codes and shut off the Check Trans and Check Engine lights. I've had one for many years and it's nice to be able to read the code and reset it on the road wherever you happen to be.

Mark

etlsport
01/29/2009, 05:49 PM
yep you can do that or you can just pull the large fuse labeled "ECU" or "ECM" in the engine bay fuse box, that will do it too

Bieredalsace
01/30/2009, 02:50 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions to the "check eng" lite and my ignorance of he posting system. I hope Walmart doesnt have too many choices for the code readers. I'll be totally confused which one to buy!

deermagnet
01/30/2009, 03:26 PM
At Wal-Mart just go with the cheapest one that says it'll read the code and turn off the check engine light. As I recall, the most expensive reader had all the generic codes in memory and showed what they meant on a small display screen. So with the cheap one you have to look them up yourself in a booklet. No biggie. You find the Isuzu specific codes online, print 'em out, and carry the list in your glove box. Some of these Isuzu's throw codes like every ten minutes (obvious exaggeration). ;)

Mark