PDA

View Full Version : A VX Tour... Thinking Out Loud.

ZEUS
01/28/2009, 10:13 AM
So last weekend in Moab I ended up hanging out with some true hippies that live there. It was such an eye opening experience (in many ways ;)). Anyway, consumerism, greed, and as Bart put it so eloquently yesterday, slavery... has left a bad taste in my mouth. Seeing people live so simply, and happily, really struck a chord. As things worsen in America on an economic level, the hippies are relatively unaffected, undaunted, and generally continue to live carefree. Well, I couldn't help but envy them to a certain degree. I could go into detail about the experience but it is not my point...

It has crossed my mind that I am most likely going to be laid off sometime this year. So... I decided I need to prepare myself for a job loss by selling all my unimportant junk and renting out my house so I don't take a huge hit on it. Then I could just move to Wyoming and stay with my dad for awhile, but I had a better idea. I am relatively young, fit, and single, gas is affordable (for now anyway), and I may never have an opportunity to travel the country again. So I am thinking about traveling thru as many of the 48 states as possible, by VehiCROSS. It may not be the best vehicle for such an undertaking but I love the idea and we have the most supportive enthusiasts around! My VX is at 71,000 miles right now and I have access to a small trailer if needed.

I may have to leave the dog with my dad to get it done. :( But I figure I could pack up my laptop, stop off at Burger King (Wifi) along the way so I could blog about the adventure, meet any VXers who are willing to get together, visit family, visit off-road parks all over the place, take on small jobs to help me afford gas and insurance, and basically see how far I could go. All this is a new thought for me so I wonder if the VX fam can help me plan something like this...? I wonder if I could set up a blog site with advertising to help fund the trip...?

I guess I just want to feel like I did something, hit my own reset button, and step out of an unhappy life. Ideally, I would start the tour at the 'Zu and then convoy with the furthest VXers to the east. That might come to soon though.

Any and all opinions and suggestions are welcome. How would you go about an undertaking like this?

Ldub
01/28/2009, 10:21 AM
So last weekend in Moab I ended up hanging out with some true hippies that live there. It was such an eye opening experience (in many ways ;)). Anyway, consumerism, greed, and as Bart put it so eloquently yesterday, slavery... has left a bad taste in my mouth. Seeing people live so simply, and happily, really struck a chord. As things worsen in America on an economic level, the hippies are relatively unaffected, undaunted, and generally continue to live carefree. Well, I couldn't help but envy them to a certain degree. I could go into detail about the experience but it is not my point...

It has crossed my mind that I am most likely going to be laid off sometime this year. So... I decided I need to prepare myself for a job loss by selling all my unimportant junk and renting out my house so I don't take a huge hit on it. Then I could just move to Wyoming and stay with my dad for awhile, but I had a better idea. I am relatively young, fit, and single, gas is affordable (for now anyway), and I may never have an opportunity to travel the country again. So I am thinking about traveling thru as many of the 48 states as possible, by VehiCROSS. It may not be the best vehicle for such an undertaking but I love the idea and we have the most supportive enthusiasts around! My VX is at 71,000 miles right now and I have access to a small trailer if needed.

I may have to leave the dog with my dad to get it done. :( But I figure I could pack up my laptop, stop off at Burger King (Wifi) along the way so I could blog about the adventure, meet any VXers who are willing to get together, visit family, visit off-road parks all over the place, take on small jobs to help me afford gas and insurance, and basically see how far I could go. All this is a new thought for me so I wonder if the VX fam can help me plan something like this...? I wonder if I could set up a blog site with advertising to help fund the trip...?

I guess I just want to feel like I did something, hit my own reset button, and step out of an unhappy life. Ideally, I would start the tour at the 'Zu and then convoy with the furthest VXers to the east. That might come to soon though.

Any and all opinions and suggestions are welcome. How would you go about an undertaking like this?

If you didn't know it before, you do now...you've always got a couch to crash on & a hot cup of ramen noodles at "Electric Larryland" for as long as you can stand it...:smilewink

Ascinder
01/28/2009, 10:36 AM
If you didn't know it before, you do now...you've always got a couch to crash on & a hot cup of ramen noodles at "Electric Larryland" for as long as you can stand it...

Ditto down here man, you could even try to get people in whatever prospective area you will be visiting next to set up mini meets. I know we've been itching for an excuse to go do something cool for awhile.

Scott Harness
01/28/2009, 11:22 AM
:supercool:supercool:supercool:supercool:supercool :supercool:cool::cool::I love hippies,being an ex-one myself (or am I still one) I might have to join you for part of the TRIP. I mean eye-opening experience;)

JoFotoz
01/28/2009, 11:29 AM
Bed , Burgers & Booze await ya in San Diego ;)

jo

MSHardeman
01/28/2009, 12:15 PM
Zeus,

I guess it depends on how "planned" you want this trip to be. I'm sure you could find couches to crash on (VX owned or otherwise) so accommodations don't seem like they would be a problem. Check out www.couchsurfing.com. If you just want to wander around the country then you'll just need to know where the gas stations are and how much clothing you will need between trips to the laundromat. If, on the other hand, you want to plan your route out it will take a little more coordination to schedule places to stay and people to meet.

I would think that if you want to do it super hippie style you would just need cloths for a few days at a time and money (or goods and services to trade) for meals and gas. Point the VX in any direction and start driving.

I agree that it would be great to try and get little VX mini-meets together where ever you go. You're always welcome here in the Aspen valley, but if you would prefer to head to Denver I would gladly make the drive over there to meet up with everyone.

Sounds like a lot of fun, and a great way to see parts of the country that you wouldn't otherwise take the time to visit (if you do bi-ways all the way).

VX crazy
01/28/2009, 12:34 PM
Zeus,

I guess it depends on how "planned" you want this trip to be. I'm sure you could find couches to crash on (VX owned or otherwise) so accommodations don't seem like they would be a problem. Check out www.couchsurfing.com. If you just want to wander around the country then you'll just need to know where the gas stations are and how much clothing you will need between trips to the laundromat. If, on the other hand, you want to plan your route out it will take a little more coordination to schedule places to stay and people to meet.

I would think that if you want to do it super hippie style you would just need cloths for a few days at a time and money (or goods and services to trade) for meals and gas. Point the VX in any direction and start driving.

I agree that it would be great to try and get little VX mini-meets together where ever you go. You're always welcome here in the Aspen valley, but if you would prefer to head to Denver I would gladly make the drive over there to meet up with everyone.

Sounds like a lot of fun, and a great way to see parts of the country that you wouldn't otherwise take the time to visit (if you do bi-ways all the way).

Ummmm, IF he does 'bi-ways' all the time??? LOL

ZEUS
01/28/2009, 01:08 PM
Ummmm, IF he does 'bi-ways' all the time??? LOLI thought that same thing... um... that came out wrong... or did it go in wrong. EWW! :p

tomdietrying
01/28/2009, 01:15 PM
If you make it out to Tejas, you've got a bed, milk or beer, and I'll throw in some home cooking (if I can talk the wifey into it) otherwise it may be peanut butter and cereal. :smilewink

Come on down!

Peace.
Tom

p.s.
We'll get some B-B-Q too!

nfpgasmask
01/28/2009, 01:51 PM
Justin,

I think this is a terriffic idea. If you do it, you know you are welcome to stay with us (we have 2 spare rooms/beds/etc).

Just make sure that if you do take on this adventure, you stay in Reno for at least a couple weeks, so we can camp, shoot and wheel for a good amount of time. :)

Also, be sure to buy a nice camera, as documenting such an adventure will be an absolute must.

I say, go for it. If I was single I would certainly entertain the thought. Personally, I have never been happier being out of the big city and out west. I just wish I didn't have to work so damn much so I could take more road trips.

Bart

ZEUS
01/28/2009, 01:55 PM
THANKS FOR ALL THE INVITES AND SUGGESTIONS EVERYONE! I like that couchsurfer site, I am going to join that one for sure!

CrnCnn
01/28/2009, 02:35 PM
Yet another spot here in Reno if you need it. We have an apt but I got an air matress. I am getting good on the BBQ so your always welcome.

I think it would be awesome. Before I left Tucson I didnt really want to go anywhere. Since I have lived here I would love to travel more, just lack the funds.

kodiak
01/28/2009, 02:55 PM
You should get some sponsors to finance your adventure. You could start a website and update it with details from your trip. Add a PayPal link for donations.

It could work! :work:

nfpgasmask
01/28/2009, 03:08 PM
^^^^^That is a good idea!! Maybe somehow incorporate donations to VX.info in the process.

Bart

snowtrooper1966
01/28/2009, 03:13 PM
I say do it!
It would be a once in a lifetime experience. All will not be sunshine and butterflies, but it will be how you deal with the tough times, as well as how strangers step up to help out that will stay with you.
You could try to plan some of your adventure around any sceduled meets. Coming out here to Mammoth in the summer, there are TONS of places to camp, and you would be free to use our shower/laundry....
Just a thought.

pbkid
01/28/2009, 03:41 PM
yet another place to stay in colorado.....

my only amendment to the trip would be, why would you leave menace???
you need someone to keep you company between places and who a better freind???

im SURE you will have enough places to go that have yards or somewhere to keep him...

i know that if i was to do a trip like this, there would be NO WAY i would leave bentley behind...

i think thats the thing you will miss the most...

just my 2 cents...

(ill be happy to pitch in some dog food for ya too)

ZEUS
01/28/2009, 04:38 PM
Yeah, believe me, it would hurt to leave Menace behind, but I think it would be better for him if he stayed in a home with someone. He might miss me too, but he would get bored lying in the back the whole time. And if something happened along the way, I would feel better knowing he was safe and taken care of.

pbkid
01/28/2009, 05:14 PM
true true....i just had an image of you in the drivers seat with the passenger seat removed for somewhere for him to lay ;)

good argument that he would probably be more stable and comfortable in a home...

etlsport
01/28/2009, 06:40 PM
my couch is your couch amigo! if you are in the southeast pa (philly) area give a shout and ill take ya on the grand tour and u can crash on my couch as long as ya want

crager34
01/28/2009, 07:06 PM
THANKS FOR ALL THE INVITES AND SUGGESTIONS EVERYONE! I like that couchsurfer site, I am going to join that one for sure!

I have an account, have had people stay with me and have surfed with others. Been a great experience so far.

Thmstec
01/28/2009, 09:52 PM
Just an idea if you were going to go with the VX mini meets:

Set-up one of those google calendars and let us post on it where you could stay, how long, contact info, etc... Would be useful for planning a route.

You'd be welcome to spend a night or two here at Auburn-- show you a little bit of college life ;)

ISCE
01/29/2009, 08:13 AM
Spare room here in MD is available if you head out this far. Sounds like a fun trip and depending on how long you want to hang here there's lots to do in driving distance.

WormGod
01/29/2009, 08:27 AM
I have an ex-coworker pal that did that last year. He is quite young (about 24 I guess) and what you would call a new-gen hippie. Live free, die old, enjoy life, blah blah blah, all that hooplah. He decided to to just up and quit one day. Him and a friend decided to drive their Harley's ala Easy Rider style from DC to SanFran, stopping everywhere and anywhere on the way. He took his laptop and blogged the entire way. Owned nothing but his bike, his laptop, and some clothes. Sold everything else to make this trip. Long story short, they made it there in about 6 months. They stopped just about everywhere you can imagine and attended more events in that time than most people will ever in their entire life. His blog was very entertaining and he updated it at least once a week. The only mishap they had the entire time was when his buddy hit a deer (yep, on his bike) one night going through NV. There were some minor injuries and some bike damages, but a local shop managed to scrap it back together so they could continue. I believe he now resides in SanFran as a programmer. Havent heard form him in a while so maybe I should look him up.

So, enjoy yourself if you go through with it. I am still far too materialistic and righteous to live any more free than I already am. I will stay with The Man's herd, even though they have no clue I am a wolf in sheep's clothing. ;)

But you let me know if you ever wanna start up a Fight Club. I am ALL ABOUT that. (now that's living free). ;)

Solitude
01/29/2009, 08:34 AM
Take the dog, trust Me.. (after living on the road for 300 days a year for 15 years) the companionship will make your trip much more enjoyable, It would suck to do this and then be so lonely you miss out on things that the loneliness distraction caused.

There is alot to see in the lower 48 and not all of it has an interstate built next to it.. so travel some of the US Highways.

The down side would be.. it would limit the hotels you could stay in.. but if you are going on a budget.. budget hotels allow pets.

I am an over the road semi driver. Not one of the most exotic careers in the world but adequate to the point of living a respectable life. You might consider that career move for a while. I am sure there are a few places to get you up and running in SLC. My first driving job was for a company based in Salt Lake.

Good luck in your travels
Jeff

tom4bren
01/29/2009, 09:27 AM
You gonna leave Menace behind but take Gooney Bird with you???

ZEUS
01/29/2009, 10:07 AM
AWESOME IDEAS!!! Thanks for everybody's input! I was checking out some the off road parks in Alabama yesterday - INTENSE! Add in some Auburn college girls! :_drool:

So I came up with some numbers last night:
1.) Max 20,000 miles within 6 months
15 mpg
$3/gallon
$4000 for gas
2.) Oil
$300
3.) VX payments for 6 months
$1500
4.) VX insurance for 6 months
$500
5.) Food and Drink
$1500
6.) Admission to parks, tollway fees, camping fees
$1000
7.) What else? I need $8800 so far!

Access to that damn money:
1.) Need to check on unemployment benefit rules regarding travel and website adverts. I would look into employment opportunites every week to make that work... nobody is hiring anyway!
2.) Vinyl wrap Zeus by pitching my goal to certain companies who may be interested.
3.) Sponsored blog site/advertising.
4.) Sell my wheels and tires so I can get more street friendly 33" tires for my stock 16" rims...?
5.) Sell plasma like Uncle Dub does! Not sure how that works while traveling though.
6.) Spread my seed - "flood" the nation's sperm banks - PROZAK NATION! :rolleyes:
7.) MUST rent out the house for $1200/month... ouch.
8.) Sell two trucks and two Jeeps, Star Wars figures (shut up), RC crawler parts, furniture?, weight machine?, welder?, power tools?, electronics?...
9.) Tax return.

So there is the basic "plan" and things I have come up with. Anyone care to add or subtract something? I'll assemble a generic route sometime this week or next, and I'll also look into that Google calendar idea.

pbkid
01/29/2009, 10:25 AM
look around toyota web sites for a set of CHEAP wheels and tires (probably stock ones)....thats what i did....

got my rims with a set of new tires for $150....

i picked toyota because if i run outta tires in the future and need money, how many people sell CHEAP used toyota tires on the net....and that way they will always fit on my rims :)..

basically there are SOOOOO many options for toyota so you can get anyhing from mudders to highway tires....

Ldub
01/29/2009, 10:40 AM
Here's a link to Biolife Plasma Services donation center locator.
You would probably have to get started locally, (pre screening, physical, etc) & check with them if your records will follow you in your travels.

http://www.biolifeplasma.com/html/center_location/center_location.html

Remember to eat meals high in protien, & stay well hydrated before any donation.
I neglected my diet recently, & am now on donation hiatus for a month...:mad:

ZEUS
01/29/2009, 10:41 AM
look around toyota web sites for a set of CHEAP wheels and tires (probably stock ones)....thats what i did....

got my rims with a set of new tires for $150....

i picked toyota because if i run outta tires in the future and need money, how many people sell CHEAP used toyota tires on the net....and that way they will always fit on my rims :)..

basically there are SOOOOO many options for toyota so you can get anyhing from mudders to highway tires....WOW! Good deal... my issue is with tire size and weight - I need true 33" or 33.5" or in between to fix my speedo and odo but my muds are little heavy and a little too small.

Ldub
01/29/2009, 10:50 AM
Cool thanks - my closest center is $50+ in gas! LOL!

Maybe borrow a car that gets better mileage?
I think you'll find that Biolife has a broader area of coverage across the country, & from my experience, they won't abuse the privelige of removing my precious bodily fluids.
If anything, I find them to be overly cautious with regard to my personal well being...which, in the big picture, is probably good...:rolleyesg

kodiak
01/29/2009, 03:11 PM
Kick arss! Now all you need to do is get laid off. :thumbup:

pbkid
01/29/2009, 03:28 PM
WOW! Good deal... my issue is with tire size and weight - I need true 33" or 33.5" or in between to fix my speedo and odo but my muds are little heavy and a little too small.
im sure that you can find a person who is looking to get rid of an old set of 33's

ZEUS
01/29/2009, 03:46 PM
Kick arss! Now all you need to do is get laid off. :thumbup:HAHA! I know, right! Truth be told, I should be able to get it done with my tax return and unemployment checks rolling in! :) Still, most of my problem may come from having to rent out the house...

ZEUS
01/29/2009, 03:48 PM
im sure that you can find a person who is looking to get rid of an old set of 33's
Prob'ly so, I wonder what my set would fetch. :confused: