PDA

View Full Version : The ORW is too LOUD!

JoFotoz
01/26/2009, 05:04 PM
.....according to a real 'charmer' of a police dude.

He even tried to tell me to go to a dealer and compare it with a NEW stock VX...DOHHH!

Seems he was already having a bad day.....

....now I have to comply ( for a few minutes anyway!)

What a PITA!

jo

Gussie2000
01/26/2009, 05:17 PM
NEW VX ! :eek:

Where ? :confused:

You should encouraged him to join us :p

don moore
01/26/2009, 05:19 PM
just tell him couldnt find a new one ,,and to ashure him they sound like yours...lol:p

CrnCnn
01/26/2009, 05:19 PM
Really??? Have you done anything to it since Moab? I thought it sounded just right. I still inted to copy ;)

lasturbo
01/26/2009, 05:55 PM
Good Ol' SDPD, right Jo?? If it is not that, it is window tint and mudflaps....lol :mad:

snowtrooper1966
01/26/2009, 06:29 PM
Well, it is loud. I dunno 'bout TOO loud!
I forgot to ask you when we met, if you dont mind, how much did that mod set you back?
Best,

JoFotoz
01/26/2009, 07:18 PM
Its the same set up I had in Moab...though its mellowed out a tad now.

Cost was about $600..thats including a diamond plate muffler..and 'real' twin pipe plumbing with twin tail pipes on each.

Yea SDPD....cant find 'em when ya need 'em...then they pull the "noisy" card...

...while harleys and Ricers are ten times the volume!

Go figure...

I'll be a good boy..put a 'fix it' in for a while..then it'll mysteriously "break"!:rolleyes:

jo

pbkid
01/26/2009, 08:08 PM
thats funny because i just got the same ticket in my integra....and its very very quiet....i think he just gave it to me because it was a japanese car...

funny that you mention it today because i got a careless driving ticket in my VX today... aparently if you are going uphill on a little ice and wheels spin you are careless...

Ldub
01/26/2009, 11:59 PM
Its the same set up I had in Moab...though its mellowed out a tad now.

Cost was about $600..thats including a diamond plate muffler..and 'real' twin pipe plumbing with twin tail pipes on each.

Yea SDPD....cant find 'em when ya need 'em...then they pull the "noisy" card...

...while harleys and Ricers are ten times the volume!

Go figure...

I'll be a good boy..put a 'fix it' in for a while..then it'll mysteriously "break"!:rolleyes:

jo

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/slingblade.jpg

Yeap...I reckon iffin' you jam some french fried taters' up thar, that orta quiet er' dayuwn sum...

Or some "tempoary"...fahburglayus insuh-muhlation...:smilewink

cyronman
01/27/2009, 12:39 AM
Jo, what a joke...

Was this in PB?
What's their 'suggestion', total removal?

crager34
01/27/2009, 12:38 PM
So, one would have to a stand a certain distance, lets say 50 feet, away from the center line and measure the sound level (decible) as the car passess. And if it exceeds zero in this case, you are in violation?

Looking up the Noise Ordinance for San Diego:

Sec. 59.5.0402 Motor Vehicles
A. Off-Highway

1. Except as otherwise provided for in thin article, it shall be unlawful to operate any motor vehicle of any type on any site, other than on a public street or highway as defined in the California Vehicle Code, in any manner so as to cause noise in excess of those noise levels permitted for on-highway motor vehicles as specified in the table for "45 mile-per-hour or less speed limits" contained in Section 23130 of the California Vehicle Code, and as corrected for distances set forth in subsection A.2. below.
2. Corrections
The maximum noise level as the on-highway vehicle passes may be measured at a distance of other than fifty (50) feet from the center line of travel, provided the measurement is further adjusted by adding agebraically the applicable correction as follows:

Distance (feet) Correction (decibels)
25 -6
28 -5
32 -4
35 -3
40 -2
45 -1
50 (preferred distance) 0
56 +1
63 +2
70 +3
80 +4
90 +5
100 +6

3. A measured noise level thus corrected shall be deemed in violation of this section if it exceeds the applicable noise-level limit as specified above.

JoFotoz
01/27/2009, 01:07 PM
Jo, what a joke...

Was this in PB?

Yea PB....

I have a booking to be "tested" on Feb 10th...

As follows:-

Decibel meter placed 20 inches from 'source' at a 45 degree angle from source , and 8 inches off the ground.
Engine is revved to a level equal to 3/4 max horespower..sound reading taken.

Pass = 95 decibels or less.

It will be interesting to see how loud it is...:eek:

The police guy put "muffler louder than stock" on the ticket.....

Fair enough...but "stock" aint available anymore!

Oh , and he nailed me for no front Lic plate too!

:o

jo

JoFotoz
01/27/2009, 01:09 PM
LOL Dub!

Yeap...I reckon iffin' you jam some french fried taters' up thar, that orta quiet er' dayuwn sum...

Or some "tempoary"...fahburglayus insuh-muhlation...:smilewink

I'm thinking a couple of the Aussie Pub Sausage rolls should do it...

...and I'll have a warm snack for afters!

jo

Triathlete
01/27/2009, 09:59 PM
So your PD has a decibel meter? Or do they just say "yea, it sounds to loud...heres your ticket" and then you have to get it tested some place?
Move to Az....you don't need (or get issued) no stink'in front plate!

JoFotoz
01/27/2009, 10:34 PM
UMMM...yup!

So your PD has a decibel meter? Or do they just say "yea, it sounds to loud...heres your ticket" and then you have to get it tested some place?
Move to Az....you don't need (or get issued) no stink'in front plate!

....A simple SUBJECTIVE bust!

Oh hell the dude didnt even know what it was...

...then he told me to go to a dealer and listen to a stock one!!!!..PUTZ

Tried to explain ya couldnt get "stock" any more...

....he felt STUPID....done deal!

TICKET!

Gonna go the Aussie Pub "sausage roll up the tail pipe" route!

:p

jo

don moore
01/27/2009, 11:25 PM
just clamp some resinator tips to the ends..lol looks like crap but should do it..maybe...i know get some stock mufflers that will slid into the tail pipes....lol,
sorry about your trouble.. hell mine is loud.. but the police dont care here.

cyronman
01/28/2009, 12:41 AM
TICKET!
Gonna go the Aussie Pub "sausage roll up the tail pipe" route!
jo
Jo, see ya Wednesday...?

You shoulda had an extra calendar in the VX with ya, maybe you coulda pawned it off on him for a warning! :rolleyes:

crager34
01/28/2009, 04:51 AM
Yea PB....

I have a booking to be "tested" on Feb 10th...

As follows:-

Decibel meter placed 20 inches from 'source' at a 45 degree angle from source , and 8 inches off the ground.
Engine is revved to a level equal to 3/4 max horespower..sound reading taken.

Pass = 95 decibels or less.

It will be interesting to see how loud it is...:eek:

The police guy put "muffler louder than stock" on the ticket.....

Fair enough...but "stock" aint available anymore!

Oh , and he nailed me for no front Lic plate too!

:o

jo

Is this a PB ordinance, cause it obviously is different than the SD one I posted?

taylorRichie
01/28/2009, 07:37 AM
I remember when I used to get pulled over for that... back when I was a punk kid... what's your excuse Jo?

I bet you're not 95db. How can they check if your engine is revved to 3/4 HP? are you going to be on a Dyno too?? :)

lasturbo
01/28/2009, 02:29 PM
That is so San Diego Jo!! I remember with my lifted 88 Toyota 4x4 being cool and getting busted for tint, muffler, no mudflaps, and stereo too loud. I f_cked up and stated, "what are you trying to make your quota?" and lucky he didn't haul my *** in. But yet we have the lowered fast and furious cars with the exhaust systems (not 50 state legal mind you) and "Folgers Can" exhaust tips and nothing said, unless they are midnight racing which occurs rarely now cuz of the consequences. Sounds like "Officer Exhaust & BTW Front Plate" needed to make a quota that day.

JoFotoz
01/28/2009, 09:32 PM
I remember when I used to get pulled over for that... back when I was a punk kid... what's your excuse Jo?

Richie...I stopped needing excuses YEARS ago....

....its one of the few advantages of aging!

jo

JoFotoz
01/28/2009, 09:33 PM
As far as I can tell...

Is this a PB ordinance, cause it obviously is different than the SD one I posted?

...this California State rules.

jo

JoFotoz
01/28/2009, 09:35 PM
Yupo...I'll be there..

Jo, see ya Wednesday.

...Oh wait...I already was!

OOOPs sorry...I looked at this too late!

jo

pbkid
01/28/2009, 09:45 PM
oh, went to court for my defective muffler ticket this morning...came out to $125 after everything...thats colorado of course so it may be different for you...

just thought i would let you know...

JoFotoz
01/28/2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks ...

oh, went to court for my defective muffler ticket this morning...came out to $125 after everything...thats colorado of course so it may be different for you...

just thought i would let you know...

...Mine was a simple "fix it' ticket.

But the "fix it" may cost!

jo

Bieredalsace
01/29/2009, 01:27 AM
Forgive me...what is "ORW"?

Ldub
01/29/2009, 05:58 AM
Forgive me...what is "ORW"?
It started out as the "Off Road Warehouse" sticker on the back of Jo's ride...last year in Moab, it evolved.

Look at Jo's sig...:smilewink

crotchrocket
01/29/2009, 06:07 AM
Look at Jo's sig...:smilewink

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

i didn't want to ask.....glad someone else did

pbkid
01/29/2009, 10:06 AM
is there any type of tip out there that will just silence the exhaust a little???

with jo getting this and me in my integra im worried about getting another one in my VX....

i have a PV2 (i know its loud) so im just wondering if there is a tip i can throw on there till they calm down with this noise thing?

Ldub
01/29/2009, 10:20 AM
is there any type of tip out there that will just silence the exhaust a little???

with jo getting this and me in my integra im worried about getting another one in my VX....

i have a PV2 (i know its loud) so im just wondering if there is a tip i can throw on there till they calm down with this noise thing?

Yep...this will knock a few dB off.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DTC%2D72%2D32520&N=700+4294923429+4294922711+4294865405+4294865320+ 115&autoview=sku

I installed one in my OEM exhaust tip, after I found that my Borla "Turbo" was a little raspier than I would have liked.
The angle of the pic makes it look shorter than it actually is, in theory, the surface area of the perforations is greater than the cross section of the pipe feeding the tip, so it shouldn't restrict flow very much, if at all.
Also, it's a REAL tight fit, & required a rather robust amount of flogging with the two pounder, not to mention a box full of foul language...:rolleyesg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/002rescone.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/001rescone.JPG

snowtrooper1966
01/29/2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks, Dub..
As always, you know how to turn a phrase and make me smile...
"...a box full of foul language...."
A MUST for any mechanic's tool kit. Too bad that's about ALL I have in mine;)
Best,

Marlin
01/31/2009, 04:42 AM
Jo, what a joke...

Was this in PB?

I just moved here to Charleston, SC from PB. We rented a house behind the high school by the RV park. We could see the boat races from the roof.
I got a ticket in my Sentra SER for window tint and smoked license plate covers. PB cops are a pain, probably because of all the bars.

JoFotoz
02/17/2009, 04:30 PM
So...I took the ORW to the City "testing" station to get a noise check done.

The computer buzzzzzed and clicked...and stated "No Information Available" on Vehicross.

EXCELLENT!

They printed out a sheet for me confirming I "tried" to get it tested...:rolleyes

Went to my Local 7/11...chatted up a patrolman AFTER he had finished his coffee and D/Nut!...

...got signed off!

$50 to the court for two "fix it" infractions..

...$0 to fix it!

A good result...and now I have documented PROOF that its been cleared by SDPD!

jo

cyronman
02/17/2009, 05:17 PM
Awesome...

Too bad you didn't find the same one that ticketed you to sign off on it.

don moore
02/18/2009, 08:35 PM
I would look for him...

yes..do

Ldub
02/18/2009, 08:45 PM
O R W..... WINS !!!:thumbup:

I love the "no info available"...:laughr:...:laughgray...:laughr:

Riff Raff
02/18/2009, 09:01 PM
I would look for him...

Yes, perhaps you could do that 3/4 HP test and he'll find you again. Jo, don't forget to keep all of that paperwork in your VX glove box for "next time". Congrats on your victory. Oink, Oink.

SilverBullet75
02/18/2009, 11:28 PM
Congrats! Someday I'd love to take a trip to SD to meet you and see ORW in person... I love the look of your VX!

MSHardeman
02/19/2009, 08:17 AM
SilverBullet,

Get to Moab and you can see the ORW in action. It's quite a sight (and Jo ain't bad either:goof: - sorry, must be the cough medicine talking).

crager34
02/19/2009, 10:16 AM
Congrats! Someday I'd love to take a trip to SD to meet you and see ORW in person... I love the look of your VX!

DUDE!! Just come to Moab.

JoFotoz
02/19/2009, 11:46 AM
Yup indeedy...:p

Jo, don't forget to keep all of that paperwork in your VX glove box for "next time". Congrats on your victory. Oink, Oink.

Got photocopies of all original signed off paperwork in the VX..

......Kind of like a "Get out of Jail free " card!

jo

JoFotoz
02/19/2009, 11:48 AM
I'll be driving through Vegas in may for MOAB....

...get packing NOW...and we'll head on to UTAH together!

jo

SilverBullet75
02/19/2009, 12:37 PM
I was hoping to go to Moab this year, but we just had a baby... she'll only be a couple months old in May. AND.. we are buying a house right now, so it may have to be next year... :(

JoFotoz
02/19/2009, 12:47 PM
:dance::clap::dance::clap::dance::clap:

CONGRATS on the baby!!

we just had a baby... she'll only be a couple months old in May. AND.. we are buying a house right now, so it may have to be next year... :(

Good time to be buying Vegas property too!

I'll give ya a shout when I drive through Vegas.

jo

Ldub
02/19/2009, 12:51 PM
:dance::clap::dance::clap::dance::clap:

CONGRATS on the baby!!

X 2 !!!

SilverBullet75
02/19/2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks Guys!

Jo, please do let me know when you come through!
---JIM---