PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the fold...

VehiGAZ
01/24/2009, 07:17 AM
I am selling my VX. (It hurts to even type this!)

For a multitude of reasons (the strongest of which are the need for a larger truck and the ridiculous deals out there on 2008 inventory) I have decided to pass my beloved VX to a new owner.

It's been 4 wonderful years of ownership for me, and I'll be very sad to see it go. I love the way people are still scoping it out everywhere like it just fell out of the sky. Even while cruising up to VT on I-91 at a solid 88 mph, someone cranked it up to at least 100 mph just to catch up to me and take a look a couple of weeks ago. The only thing better than that is the look on their faces when I get to tell them, "No, it's not new... it's a 1999!"

So beyond letting you guys and dolls know that I'm getting out, I am looking for some advice on how best to sell it. Being one of the few supercharged VX's out there ("the last of the V8 Interterceptors..." right Bart?!), and after seeing asking prices all over the map, I am very unsure of how to price it or where to sell it. I'm a little sketchy of selling on eBay, but of course it's a popular market place.

I'm not looking to bleed anyone, but I do want a market price for it. Any suggestions on how to price it & where to sell it?

The basic info:
105k miles, runs beautifully, fast as all get-out, documented perfect maintenance history since 45k miles (bought in Dec 2004).

Mods:

Alpine Developments supercharger
2.5" custom exhaust with a Dynomax muffler
Bilstein shocks
braided-steel brake lines
Alpine subwoofer amp installed under driver's seat
Rear hatch popper
Titanium "VX" badge on front grill

(I have a complete roof rack set which will go on eBay, and I have a few spare parts available (most notably, a ToD controller) which I will sell here.)

Ldub
01/24/2009, 09:42 AM
I don't have any free advice on which way to go with regard to selling her, but I'm sorry to see you leave...:sighwgray

Hope you'll stick around anyway, & visit us now & then.

Whoever gets this one, is getting one sweet ride...:thumbup:

nfpgasmask
01/24/2009, 11:02 AM
the last of the V8 Interterceptors..." right Bart?!

"Would have been a shame to...blow it up" :)

First off, very sad news indeed, but we all have our reasons and that's all that matters. I don't know what you should be asking, but being that it is supercharged, you should be able to get a top price provided everything else is straight.

Good luck, and be sure to hang around even after the fact!

Bart

kodiak
01/24/2009, 01:04 PM
Sorry to hear you’re selling you baby. :(

VehiGAZ
01/24/2009, 01:57 PM
I just listed it on AutoTrader.com for $10k. We'll see what kind of bites I get with that bait.

I've always had the impression that cars sold on eBay don't bring in good prices, and a quick review of completed VX auctions confirmed that - out of maybe 20 VX auctions, only about 4 actually closed, and none of those fetched more than $6k. All the others got no bids or failed to meet reserve.

I'm sorry to be leaving the VX brotherhood. You guys know that I have enjoyed my VX immensely, and have enjoyed this forum even more (1100+ posts attest to that!).

Gussie2000
01/24/2009, 03:25 PM
Well i was hoping to meet you some time around spring time,i drive often to stamford to visit one of my sis,actually i'm right now at her house having a good time.

Sorry to see your VX go,it's hard though.

But the reasons you had to take this decision got to be important & off course matters more.

Just stick around & login one in a while to say HI & let's know what is your next ride.

Best regards !

Triathlete
01/24/2009, 04:02 PM
Good luck with the sale! Jack the price up another grand (or two, personally I think its worth even more!) to cover a round trip ticket to Moab and you can ride shotgun with one of us for one last VX shindig!:bwgy:

VCrossfan
01/24/2009, 04:35 PM
VehiGAZ...We joined this great forum about the same time and I have always taken your VX advice to heart. Good Luck...

Riff Raff
01/24/2009, 05:47 PM
Yes, sorry to see the VX move-out of your stables. My only advice is if you have an "out-of-town" buyer who wants to have it shipped to them, then please utilize ESCROW.COM to help facilitate the money transaction. I bought my VX from a seller on eBay, and had it shipped to me by D.A.S., and used ESCROW.COM as the conduit to handle the money transfer. Everything worked great. When you get a moment on your computer, check out the details of D.A.S. and ESCROW.COM. Remember, the "buyer" normally pays for any escrow fee's and vehicle shipping (not the seller), but it's a safe way to go if you get an "out-of-town" buyer and protects both parties involved.

JoFotoz
01/24/2009, 07:19 PM
Just a thought....

Take off the S/charger "et al"...and sell it to one of the Rusky VX clan....or others that WANT a s/charger...(LIKE ME!!!)

Premium price...I gaaaauranteeeee ya!

Then..sell yours as a stock good everyday runner....thats been well looked after.

Ya may just get MORE bang fer yer buck at the end o'the day.

jo

VehiGAZ
01/25/2009, 06:56 AM
Riff - Thanks for the tips on selling and escrow! If it gets to that point, I will use those services.

JoFo - Great idea on selling the S/C separately, but I can't do it. I dumped the old intake and parts a few months ago. It was sitting in a giganto box in the basement blocking our storage shelves for a year and a half, and I was finally convinced that I wouldn't need it, so off to the transfer station it went. I am kinda hoping there's a wealthy Russian VX fan out there who is still spending money! But it sounds liek a real pain for those guys to import a car like this.

Gussie - Who knows... in this economy I might still be holding the keys in the spring! (ugh... I shouldn't even joke!).

JoFotoz
01/25/2009, 12:31 PM
JoFo - Great idea on selling the S/C separately, but I can't do it. I dumped the old intake and parts a few months ago.

Perhaps you could do a trade..?
Whoever buys s/charger , provides you with the replacement stock parts.

Could be a hassle...but it could well help maximise your dollar return.

On the other hand...heres hoping ya find a buyer as is...for good $$$$'s!!

jo

VehiGAZ
01/26/2009, 06:34 AM
That would be too much hassle for me right now. I just need to get it out of my driveway soon - it's getting crowded!

Man, I cannot believe that no one has even asked what I'm getting to replace the VX...

MSHardeman
01/26/2009, 07:53 AM
We're all just so stunned that you're leaving it hasn't crossed our minds.

So sad to see you go. We've never met in person, but I know that I've followed some of your advice from time to time. You will be missed.

Keep in touch, and keep us up to date about the new ride (I'll have to take a guess on the "replacing my ride with..." post).

Y33TREKker
01/26/2009, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure I can take this if it means you'll be taking your 928 pics away in the process.....oh, and sorry to see you leaving too of course. :p

Riff Raff
01/27/2009, 07:28 AM
That would be too much hassle for me right now. I just need to get it out of my driveway soon - it's getting crowded!

Man, I cannot believe that no one has even asked what I'm getting to replace the VX...

VehiGAZ-- People haven't asked because there is really only one vehicle that could ever replace the beloved VX, and it is not in production yet. It is currently still a Concept (just like the VX was in the beginning).

That's right, folks-- The Hummer HX/H4.

The Hummer HX/H4 (in yellow of course) will be my next truck "IF" they ever build it. Although, who knows what's gonna happen in the future with today's economic climate.

Until the Hummer HX/H4 comes out, I guess I'll just have to be happy with the two best 4WD's ever produced by mankind-- the swift & agile 2001 VX, and the legendary & bulletproof 1978 FJ-40. Both of which are yellow and parked side-by-side in my 1800sf detached garage/shop.

VehiGAZ
01/27/2009, 08:38 AM
I envy your garage, as well as its contents!