PDA

View Full Version : Rack fairing and sunroof?

Jason
01/17/2009, 06:44 AM
Forum,

I have a sunroof on my VX and factory roof rack. I'd like to add the Thule roof fairing. Not having installed a fairing, I'm unclear as to how the unit "rides" on the car. Is it totally suspended by its mounts to the roof rack or does the front also "rest" on the roof of the vehicle.

If it rests on the roof, I'm going to have a problem as mine would be resting on the sunroof. This could cause problems as the sunroof travels forward and aft.

I just met Navistar in the parking lot of home depot last weekend. We talked about this a bit, maybe I need to give him a shout.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jason

VX1032
01/17/2009, 09:28 AM
If it is anyhting like my yakima setup the fairing sits in front of the load warrior basket and not on the roof.

Is this fairing being attached to a cargo basket? or just to a cross bar? The cross bar one sits lower on the rack than the cargo basket ones.

Is this one of those fairings to use with bikes and ski attachments?

workmeistr
01/17/2009, 09:51 AM
My Thule 38" is back probably as far as possible while still using the supplied attachments to altered Mighty Mount wing bar horizontals. The fairing does rest on foam feet to the roof. Keeping those feet firmly down on the roof, given the slope-iness of the outside of a VX roof by the front of the roof rails, is critical to not inducing new noise and why my installation required zip ties to push the two outside mounts down. 'Best seen in the second picture below.

I think most photos of sunroofs installed on VX's I have seen would not allow for a standard fairing attached to the factory crossbars without somehow being able to shift the fairing even closer to the cross bars than I was able to do.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/P1010127.JPG http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/P1010124.JPG

navistar
01/18/2009, 03:44 AM
When i measure from the top back edge of the glass windshield to the front of the Thule fairing I get 20 inches.

Jason, I have a full unmounted rack set and Thule fairing assembly. We could fit it up and determine what fabrication would need to be done to accommodate both sun roof and the fairing. I'm interested in that configuration myself.

Bob
913-558-9013

Jason
01/19/2009, 04:31 PM
Bob,

What size fairing do you have?

Jason

navistar
01/25/2009, 07:58 PM
Jay,

I have two 32 inch farings and one 38 inch. The 38 is an original plastic Thule faring. The two 32 inch farings I fabricated out of one-eighth inch aluminum using the original as a templet and had them powder coated in black because I didn't like the large white Thule logo that was on the originals. One of the 32 is mounted on VXI and the other is waiting to be mounted to VXII.

Bob

Jason
02/06/2009, 09:42 PM
Bob,

Sorry for the slow reply. Come spring time, I'd like to take you up on the offer to try the spoiler on with my sunroof. I'll be in touch.

Thanks,

Jason

navistar
02/07/2009, 10:52 AM
Anytime.