PDA

View Full Version : Brake light stuck on...

isaac65
01/15/2009, 05:29 AM
Wondering if this has happened to anyone.
For the past three mornings my break light switch has been stuck on all the way to work. By the time I get to work, it turns off. At first I thought it might be getting stuck except I never use my parking brake...
Anyone know what might be causing this?
BTW love this truck!

Ldub
01/15/2009, 05:49 AM
Wondering if this has happened to anyone.
For the past three mornings my break light switch has been stuck on all the way to work. By the time I get to work, it turns off. At first I thought it might be getting stuck except I never use my parking brake...
Anyone know what might be causing this?
BTW love this truck!

Check your brake fluid level, just to be on the safe side...:_wrench:

tomdietrying
01/15/2009, 06:22 AM
I'm going to do what Ldub suggested. That's been happening to me the last couple of weeks when it's really cold in the morning. It happened this morning. You're right, the light goes off by the time I get to work too.
Peace.
Tom

MSHardeman
01/15/2009, 08:15 AM
Do what dub says! My brake light came on a couple of weeks ago and the first thing that I did was look at my reservoir under the hood and, sure enough, it was pretty low. I just checked it this morning while I was doing the oil top off routine while getting fuel (I almost said "getting gas" but I knew you people would have a field day with that :smilewink) and it seems to be low again. I must have a slow leak somewhere that I'm going to have to chase down.

isaac65
01/15/2009, 08:28 AM
I'm going to do what Ldub suggested. That's been happening to me the last couple of weeks when it's really cold in the morning. It happened this morning. You're right, the light goes off by the time I get to work too.
Peace.
Tom
Yeah, it's been pretty cold every morning this week too. I'll take a look at the fluid when i get home today and then report back. Thanks for the help!

isaac65
01/15/2009, 02:05 PM
Yup, you guys were right. The brake fluid is low. What type do you guys recommend? Is it ok to mix fluid brands? I've never had to do this before... lol

Thanks!

rowhard
01/15/2009, 02:18 PM
Yup, you guys were right. The brake fluid is low. What type do you guys recommend? Is it ok to mix fluid brands? I've never had to do this before... lol

Thanks!

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING

If you top off the reservoir, the next time you change the brake pads and compress the pistons in the caliper's, you will pump paint eating brake fluid all over the engine compartment. The reservoir fluid level will go down as the pads wear, this is normal

isaac65
01/19/2009, 06:52 AM
So my pads still have quite a bit of life on them, so I went ahead and topped off the fluid. Hope that stops that light from staying on.

etlsport
01/19/2009, 08:04 AM
if that doesnt do it, i think i remember some people saying they had issues with the cold weather and the contacts for the e-brake in the center console being dirty