PDA

View Full Version : Dentists, Lawyers, insurance, bloodsuckers....

WormGod
01/14/2009, 08:26 AM
I have come to the conclusion that they are all the same.

I recently broke a bit of the side off of a rear molar that had a 15+ year filling in it. Pretty tiny piece broke off exposing some of the side of the actual filling. No pain, no real issue, but needed to be looked at regardless.

So I go to my dentist and he takes a gander. Feels the need to file the whole thing down and cap it. He REALLY prefers to just pull the thing and put in an implant (money in his pocket.... read on) since it's the furthest rear tooth on that side. "Stronger" he says.

Well, I am insured enough for 50 people and the visit is covered, mostly. However, 2 things stand out to insurance that are flagged. No cavity is present and it is considered "cosmetic"? Come again? An exposed tooth/filling getting capped is considered "preventive" if you ask me. "Preventive" is covered. Makes no sense to me.

Anyways, all that personal bickering aside, it comes down to price. Now, the filing down and capping is $800+ (out of my pocket since insurance is being stingy). WOW! He then explained the price of an implant and, everything included could come to $1600+ (again, out of pocket). Good God Chuck!!!! Dentistry is absolutely expensive!

Gonna have to sit on this one for a while. Not long I hope, but my money tree hibernates during the winter. :(

I wish I were some genetic freak like my late uncle who had regenerative teeth. All through his life, he had the ability to grow a new tooth back if he lost one. Now THAT would rule. The only reason he ever had to go to the dentist was to get a cleaning or get a tooth pulled. Next thing ya know, he would grow it back. The luck!

VCrossfan
01/14/2009, 08:39 AM
I hear ya and been there. My 2cents....Rear Molar...Pull It ! ! Good Luck

Scott Harness
01/14/2009, 08:57 AM
I wish I were some genetic freak like my late uncle who had regenerative teeth.

I've never heard of that in humans,sharks sure,but not humans!

nfpgasmask
01/14/2009, 09:07 AM

x2, sounds like something I would like to know more about...

Bart

kodiak
01/14/2009, 10:59 AM
I had almost the same thing happen except it was a much bigger filing. Cost me $1500 to get it fixed. Dental insurants seems like a rip off to me. It never seems to cover the expensive stuff so what’s the point? :confused:

nfpgasmask
01/14/2009, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I avoid it as much as possible also. Its a scam I tell ya, especially the insurance part of it.

I haven't been to the dentist in years. I brush regularly and floss as much as possible. One thing I hate about dentists, and it seems to happen with every dentist I go to, is they always feel compelled to lecture me about taking better care of my teeth. I think that is horse-poo. Its like if everytime I sat down at a user's computer and then commenced to lecture them about how to manage their files and take better care of their PC. I say "funk dat". People NEED to have broken computers. That's how I stay employed, and the same goes for dentists. I just hate it all around.

Bart

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/14/2009, 08:23 PM

I've heard lawyers referred to as sharks...who knew???

On a serious note, I got burned on a dental procedure once (insurance flagged it) that was highly recommended by my dentist that resulted in $600 out of pocket. I was since told that if you are in doubt about what will be covered; have the procedure pre-approved. Your dentist will have to submit all relevent info to the insurance for them to give their recommendations. I have yet to try this out though as all I've needed since was checkup & cleaning.

pbkid
01/14/2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I avoid it as much as possible also. Its a scam I tell ya, especially the insurance part of it.

I haven't been to the dentist in years. I brush regularly and floss as much as possible. One thing I hate about dentists, and it seems to happen with every dentist I go to, is they always feel compelled to lecture me about taking better care of my teeth. I think that is horse-poo. Its like if everytime I sat down at a user's computer and then commenced to lecture them about how to manage their files and take better care of their PC. I say "funk dat". People NEED to have broken computers. That's how I stay employed, and the same goes for dentists. I just hate it all around.

Bart

thats funny you say that because the last 3 times i have been to the dentist it has gone like this....

first time-> he tells me my brushing is looking good but i need to floss more...
-i keep brushing the same but increase flossing...
second->he tells me i need to brush more and floss more...
-i keep my brushing the same but decrease flossing....
third-> he tells me everything looks great, looks like i finally took his advise....

hmm....ya i think they really are bloodsuckers and moneysuckers....

kpaske
01/14/2009, 10:40 PM
That actually doesn't sound that bad. I recently had an exam where the dentist recommended that I replace two of my fillings. I'm not having any pain, nothing is chipped or broken, but there is a bit of erosion on the top of these two teeth, and it looks like the edges of the fillings are turning black. The black, I'm told, is where the fillings are starting to seperate from the tooth and is where plaque and decay can start to build up. They are basically "EOL" and need to be replaced. Cost per tooth = $1350 for gold caps (slightly less for porceline, which they don't recommend because of the erosion - likely to break eventually). The clencher is I may also need orthodontic work (braces) to correct a minor crossbite which is causing the tooth erosion. I don't have dental insurance, but I'm sure thinking about getting some if I need all this work done!

Ldub
01/14/2009, 10:43 PM
x2, sounds like something I would like to know more about...

Bart

I think the last person I've ever heard of with that ability, was Cliff Claven on Cheers...:rolleyesg

WormGod
01/19/2009, 04:45 PM
Got grinded down and temp crowned earlier today. Total price is $1400. $300 out of pocket. Not only are my gums throbbing from the pounding and the Novocaine shots, but my wallet is throbbing in anticipation of the insurance company retaliation of not wanting to pay that overhead. We shall see.

Shame I can't just stick with this temp cause it looks perfect. Here's to hoping the final one looks as good or better.