PDA

View Full Version : Calmini lift

haggisgood
01/13/2009, 04:55 PM
Greetings..
I am about to possibly do a lift on the VX
ORW is offering a Calmini 3" lift along w/ 285/70/17 tires and "generic" black wheels installed for $2900 ..
Sounds a bit steep for me..
Anyone know a Shop in San Diego that is familiar w/ the VX that may work w/ me .. I am not sure of which lift is better ... OME or this Calmini
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Haggis

pbkid
01/13/2009, 05:44 PM
talk to jofotoz...he has a calamini lift....lived in san diego and he does most of his stuff through ORW....

taylorRichie
01/13/2009, 06:52 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13470

Try there... and build your own.

Good info.

JoFotoz
01/13/2009, 09:42 PM
Just PM'd ya....

talk to jofotoz...he has a calamini lift....lived in san diego and he does most of his stuff through ORW....

...ORW has been good to me...when I was a NEWBIE...they were awesome!

Then I started to learn (slowly...bit by bit!)

My PM basically suggests new rear springs...and I'll help ya turn your torsion bars.
(Maybe spacers depending on how Hi ya wanna go)

WAY cheaper than ORW..WAY..WAY Cheaper!...Like $2500 cheaper!

Please...get in touch...cause I have to do one too...lets have a w/end lift party!

jo

JoFotoz
01/13/2009, 09:44 PM
Nice dude....

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13470

...Thats a keeper!

jo

LittleBeast
01/14/2009, 01:07 PM
ORW is offering a Calmini 3" lift along w/ 285/70/17 tires and "generic" black wheels installed for $2900 ..
Sounds a bit steep for me..

WOW, yes that is WAY TOO steep. Uh order some springs for $150 and spend a day working on it yourself or have one of us do it for you, it is that easy, here is how I did it, but it does not have to even be as hard as I made it, all you need is springs and some time, like an hour if you know what you are doing:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13415&highlight=littlebeast

haggisgood
01/14/2009, 01:30 PM
First off.. thanks to you guys for the advice.. without that i would prob be out close to 3k
Jo.. I'll be more than happy to hook up and do a lift ..I just need to know what exactly to buy first and how much.. I will still run those 265/60/18 Yokohama Geolanders for now.. (they did quite well in Hungry Valley).. I have never attempted any kind of lift... so I would basically be a bystander in the garage.. throw a tool at me anytime! lol
Beyond that.. I am all ears for doing things right!
Again.. Thanks to everyone for the input!
Haggis

pbkid
01/14/2009, 06:47 PM
haggis, i did my own in my friends driveway in 3 hours because i had to figure everything out by myself (and i didnt exactly have all the right tools)

please dont waste your money having a shop do this install for ya....

another example, we have lifted VX's in hotel parking lots in moab....

essentially all you need is the ome springs...thats all i have and i have about 2.5-3" lift....

i actually didnt do the ball joint flip or any of that other stuff either, no CV problems yet and i drive mine hard....

jo knows how to get this stuff done too so he is a great resource for you nearby....

just look through the posts for info and pics, there are plenty out there...i was gonna do a quick version but i dont wanna leave parts out, or understress how important it is to have the vehicle properly supported....

Triathlete
01/14/2009, 09:45 PM
Very easy to do...do not spend that money with the shop. I think if you do a search you will find a pretty descent how-to that some guy named Triathlete wrote up!:rolleyes:

Ldub
01/14/2009, 09:59 PM
Just PM'd ya....

...ORW has been good to me...when I was a NEWBIE...they were awesome!

Then I started to learn (slowly...bit by bit!)

My PM basically suggests new rear springs...and I'll help ya turn your torsion bars.
(Maybe spacers depending on how Hi ya wanna go)

WAY cheaper than ORW..WAY..WAY Cheaper!...Like $2500 cheaper!

Please...get in touch...cause I have to do one too...lets have a w/end lift party!

jo

WOW, yes that is WAY TOO steep. Uh order some springs for $150 and spend a day working on it yourself or have one of us do it for you, it is that easy, here is how I did it, but it does not have to even be as hard as I made it, all you need is springs and some time, like an hour if you know what you are doing:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13415&highlight=littlebeast

haggis, i did my own in my friends driveway in 3 hours because i had to figure everything out by myself (and i didnt exactly have all the right tools)

please dont waste your money having a shop do this install for ya....

another example, we have lifted VX's in hotel parking lots in moab....

essentially all you need is the ome springs...thats all i have and i have about 2.5-3" lift....

i actually didnt do the ball joint flip or any of that other stuff either, no CV problems yet and i drive mine hard....

jo knows how to get this stuff done too so he is a great resource for you nearby....

just look through the posts for info and pics, there are plenty out there...i was gonna do a quick version but i dont wanna leave parts out, or understress how important it is to have the vehicle properly supported....

Very easy to do...do not spend that money with the shop. I think if you do a search you will find a pretty descent how-to that some guy named Triathlete wrote up!:rolleyes:

DING-DING-DING...GOOD ANSWERS!

As stated, it can be accomplished, while mildly gooned, in a motel parking lot in Moab!...:thumbup:...:_wrench:

Don't waste your money!

BUT, since your newest, bestus buds have $aved you from needlessly $pending large piles of jing on $tuff you don't need, DO give serious consideration to becoming a SITE SUPPORTER!:smilewink

MSHardeman
01/15/2009, 08:29 AM
It's a super easy job, like everyone else is saying. Not that I really know because Ldub did my lift in about an hour (HEY, just like the glasses) in the Red Rock Inn parking lot in Moab last year. http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC03359.JPG If you can wait, and if you can make it to Moab, we could have another lift party at the Red Rock. Woohoo!

tom4bren
01/15/2009, 09:21 AM
While Calmini is very expensive, they do offer some things in the kit that I don't think they sell individually. They may not be important to everyone, but some may find them useful.

Replacement crossmember

panhard rod drop bracket

Since the PO did the lift on mine, I can only assume that they came with the kit (I never checked).

nfpgasmask
01/15/2009, 11:39 AM
It's a super easy job, like everyone else is saying. Not that I really know because Ldub did my lift in about an hour (HEY, just like the glasses) in the Red Rock Inn parking lot in Moab last year. If you can wait, and if you can make it to Moab, we could have another lift party at the Red Rock. Woohoo!

Ahhh memories. Nothin like drinkin and wrenchin with the nation's best wheeling buds.

:) Bart