PDA

View Full Version : bart where are you at??

pbkid
01/13/2009, 12:50 PM
i know im getting excited to see my bloody valentine....

im just surprised i havent heard any excitement from you yet...

this just seems like your type of movie...

circmand
01/14/2009, 07:06 AM
Never end a sentence with a prepostion. It should be "Bart where are you?"

When I is by itself it should be capitalized.

It should be i'm not im and haven't not havent.

taylorRichie
01/14/2009, 07:14 AM
http://grammartips.homestead.com/prepositions1.html

;)

But I would agree the sentence was incorrect. (see how I started with But) Should be, "Bart. Where are you?" :p

I aint know english major tho.

taylorRichie
01/14/2009, 08:24 AM
Think I'll go this weekend... Can be hard for me to watch 3D movies, so I hope this one is done well.

nfpgasmask
01/14/2009, 11:05 AM
You know, I haven't even seen the original, but it is in my Netflix queue. This new 3D one does look interesting. However, I have a tendency to doubt it will be any good, as remakes are typically bad for the most part, save for a few gems out there.

It's funny, you would think that just because the film has a gas masked character in it, that I would be all-over-it. But honestly, since I quit collecting, I have sort of put the whole gas mask thing behind me. I have even thought of changing my username. I still think gas masks are uber-cool and everything. But, it's just one of those things, kind of like an alcoholic who quit drinking and doesn't really want to go to bars any more. :) I will however subject myself to bad cinema just to catch a glimpse of a VX! (man, I swear that VX-02 in Mission To Mars was the ONLY good thing about that movie ;puke2;)

Furthermore, the theater experience is something I reserve only for highly anticipated films that I absolutely cannot wait to see.

If you want to hear me rave about an upcoming film that I am super excited about, it will have to be The Watchmen. I really hope the film is at least half as good as the graphic novel. After that, the next installment of the Terminator series will be on my list of movies to see opening weekend.

circmand, how was my grammar? I know I have a tendency to write run-on sentences, especially in this casual arena...

:) Bart

circmand
01/14/2009, 11:47 AM
Circmand should be capitalized.

I'm not much into grammar but his tag line did request criticism and I could not resist:bgwg::bgwb::bwgy::smilewink

nfpgasmask
01/14/2009, 12:02 PM
Circmand should be capitalized.

I'm not much into grammar but his tag line did request criticism and I could not resist:bgwg::bgwb::bwgy::smilewink

I didn't capitalize it because it isn't capitalized in your username...:)

Funny, I think the Interwebs has created a whole new lot of slang worlds and grammar.

Bart

Scott Harness
01/14/2009, 12:13 PM
I didn't capitalize it because it isn't capitalized in your username...:)

Funny, I think the Interwebs has created a whole new lot of slang worlds and grammar.

Bart

Bastardizing the Queens English I tell you!!!:)

pbkid
01/14/2009, 06:18 PM
hmmm...
this is an interesting discussion direction for this post to be taken, and yes I am very aware of my poor grammar on the internet. I am forced to have good grammar at school. Therefore I choose to be lazy when I discuss situations on the internet.

less formally-
you just seem like a horror movie type of guy bart...that added with the gas mask just made me think of you...every time my girlfriend or i see a commercial for this movie we talk about you and your VX lol so i just thought i would bring it up...

Ldub
01/14/2009, 10:21 PM

When I is by itself it should be capitalized.

It should be i'm not im and haven't not havent.

Correcting others grammar & spelling can be an AWFULLY slippery slope...:naughty:

Most folks don't forget, & go out of their way to watch what you do, say & spell from then on...:sighwgray

Besides, grammar, punctuation & spelling, have all gone in the toilet, since the new rage in communication is "texting"

Scuse ME, but WTF ever happened to TALKING to one another?:rolleyesg

taylorRichie
01/15/2009, 07:29 AM
Scuse ME, but WTF ever happened to TALKING to one another?:rolleyesg

It's hard to talk to you when you don't even have a cell phone... Of course if you did, I'd probably just text you. ;)

j/k

I totally agree with the texting thing, but disagree with the talking thing. I don't like either ;) I generally prefer email, cause it's on my terms, you send a message, when I get to it, I respond :D

If it's an urgent matter, call me, Leave a voicemail, and depending on what is on the message I'll gauge how long I have before I "should" call back. I hate talking on the phone...

I prefer FTF or email.

---

THE WATCHMEN will be awesome... better be ;)

I haven't seen The Spirit but have heard horrible things, I loved 300, and Sin City is in my top 5. I love Frank Miller. I haven't read the watchmen but it seems more frank miller than typical DC... (I'm not a comic book dude, the only ones I've read are the Sin City set, and 300, and both of those were within the last 3 years :p)

nfpgasmask
01/15/2009, 08:40 AM
you just seem like a horror movie type of guy bart...that added with the gas mask just made me think of you...every time my girlfriend or i see a commercial for this movie we talk about you and your VX lol so i just thought i would bring it up...

Funny, you know, horror is probably not my most favorite genre. Reason being, is that typically, 90% horror films tend to be kind of silly and stupid. That said, I do really like GOOD horror films. Some of my favorites are (not remakes, originals) The Exorcist, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hellraiser, The Omen, and The Howling. I can honestly say I really don't care for films like Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, or even the Halloween films, save for the first one. They are just too stupid. I like movies of all types, but I suppose my favorite genre would be sci-fi actually. But again, it all depends on how well the movie is made. Just to give you a better idea of my taste, here is my top 10 list:

1) Blade Runner (easily the greatest film ever made, imho)
2) The Terminator
3) Predator
4) The Mad Max Triology
5) Alien & Aliens
6) The Thing (John Carpenter's remake, and probably my favorite remake of all time)
7) Reservoir Dogs
8) The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
9) Lon (The Professional)
10) Akira

Honestly, I would feel better making a top 100 list because there are so many awesome films that don't fit on that list but deserve to (like The Exorcist and Chainsaw Massacre). But the above should do. Anyway, so imo, a horror movie has to be serious, and actually pretty scary/disturbing for me to like it. Crap like Cabin Fever and The Descent just don't cut it. :)

Funny, I was just saying this morning that very soon there will classes for "Digital Ebonics"! Anyone ever seen "Idiocracy"? ...I think we are on our way.

Oh yes, we are WELL on our way!

Bart

circmand
01/15/2009, 11:41 AM
But our top ten lists are quite different

nfpgasmask
01/15/2009, 01:09 PM
But our top ten lists are quite different

Just please don't say Silent Running. ;)

Bart

mdwyer
01/15/2009, 02:41 PM
10) Akira

I really wish I could talk you out of this one... Akira is probably the most popular import from Japan, but it is far from the best, in my not-so-humble opinion. There's some stuff that is so much better. On the other hand, there are oceans of stuff out there that is just unwatchable.

If you're just looking for an animated sci-fi movie, try the 2004 version of "Appleseed".

Just please don't say Silent Running. ;)

Bwaahahahaha... I totally wanted one of those little cars they were driving around, though.

nfpgasmask
01/15/2009, 03:04 PM
I really wish I could talk you out of this one... Akira is probably the most popular import from Japan, but it is far from the best, in my not-so-humble opinion. There's some stuff that is so much better. On the other hand, there are oceans of stuff out there that is just unwatchable.

First off, please site examples of "better". Personally, I think Akira is not only an awesome story, but quite possibly the greatest feat of conventional animation ever in history. The motorcycle scene alone, is incredible and enough to keep this movie on my top 10 list. I have read the manga, which is almost even better than the film and one of my all time favorite graphic novels, but the film is just fantastic.

If you're just looking for an animated sci-fi movie, try the 2004 version of "Appleseed".

Well, I have to say I respectfully disagree. IMO, digital animation has its place now, but cannot even hold a candle to conventional, hand drawn and painted animation. I have seen Appleseed, Ex Machina and I recently watched Vexille. All three are entertaining films, but are nothing special to me. I really like Masamune Shirow's first Ghost In The Shell film, but it pretty much stops there for me with his stuff. Some of my other favortie anime films include:

Ninja Scroll
Tekkon Kinkreet
Millenium Actress
My Neighbour Totoro
Spirited Away (pretty much anything Miyazaki really)

I have to say I love the Animatrix as well. Some of the best stuff I have ever seen in there. I watch loads of anime, so I would defiinitely be interested in what you think is good...and I am not talking about anime serials, that is a whole other can of worms. :)

Bart

nfpgasmask
01/15/2009, 03:36 PM
Princess Mononoke rocks!

Yeah, like I said, I can't think of a Miyazaki film I didn't like. Porco Rosso is awesome too.

Bart

pbkid
01/15/2009, 04:00 PM
Princess Mononoke rocks!
x2

taylorRichie
01/15/2009, 07:39 PM
I'm in the wrong place...

I like...
Big lebowski
Fight Club
Sin City
american beauty
Usual Suspects
Fargo
A clockwork orange
Evil Dead
Pulp Fiction
The Original Matrix
Darjeeling Limited
Nightmare before christmas
Shaun Of the dead
Grindhouse (both)
Life aquatic
edward scissorhands
Eternal Sunshine for the spotless mind
The Science of Sleep
Be Kind Rewind
Being John Malcovich
The Mexican
Finding Neverland
Raising Arizona
No COuntry for old men
Snatch
Heat
SLC Punk
Oceans 11
Team America World Police
Trainspotting
Old School
12 Monkeys
Primer

There are a few... I must be missing out ;)

Headed to Sundance tomorrow for some more movies (I don't say films) that you guys probably don't like :D

nfpgasmask
01/15/2009, 08:16 PM

There are a few... I must be missing out ;)

Headed to Sundance tomorrow for some more movies (I don't say films) that you guys probably don't like :D

You're not in the wrong place, I have seen all but 8 of those movies in your list and I would say of the ones that I have seen I think 95% of them are excellent! You should see my 45" x 65" Nightmare Before X-mas poster. :)

I tend to need to do a top 10 list for each genre, because I didn't even list my favorite comedies. :)

Bart

mdwyer
01/16/2009, 09:30 AM
First off, please site examples of "better". Personally, I think Akira is not only an awesome story, but quite possibly the greatest feat of conventional animation ever in history.

I've got to play the 'respectfully disagree' card, too. I can respect that it pulls a lot of weight in the world -- and I'm having a tough time thinking of any 'conventional animation' that matches without dipping into Disney. But I just can't believe it gets that spot on your list.

Keep in mind, however, that a large part of why I won't let myself enjoy Akira is just that I'm a pretentious b**tard. :)

Well, I have to say I respectfully disagree. IMO, digital animation has its place now, but cannot even hold a candle to conventional, hand drawn and painted animation. I have seen Appleseed, Ex Machina and I recently watched Vexille. All three are entertaining films, but are nothing special to me. I really like Masamune Shirow's first Ghost In The Shell film, but it pretty much stops there for me with his stuff.

Bleh. The original Appleseed is dated. Ex Machina is a John Woo movie, complete with the cliche doves. Vexille was an excuse to re-use the digital models from the digital Appleseed. The first Ghost in the Shell was pretty, but kind of empty.

I love Shirow's manga, but most of the movies are actually not very good. A large part of it, I'm sure, is the Japanese mindset, which is somehow offensive to American movie sensibilities. For example, Final Fantasy -- it is a beautiful movie. But the plot is every bit as corny as that in Silent Running. :-P

Some of my other favortie anime films include:
Ninja Scroll
My Neighbour Totoro
Spirited Away (pretty much anything Miyazaki really)

I have to say I love the Animatrix as well. Some of the best stuff I have ever seen in there. I watch loads of anime, so I would defiinitely be interested in what you think is good...and I am not talking about anime serials, that is a whole other can of worms. :)

Excellent choices. I agree about the Animatrix. There was some beautiful work on that. I would recommend the Cowboy Bebop movie. Although that gets close to the can of worms, I think it stands on its own well enough.

Going through the rest of my Netflix history...

I just recently enjoyed Paprika, when it was available for instant viewing on Netflix. It is by the same guy who did Milennium Actress, so you know you're in for a mind-bending. The same guy also did "Perfect Blue" a few years back, which I didn't like. "Kite" is also near the top of my list, but I'm uncomfortable actually recommending it to anyone...

"Read or Die" was sort of fun, as was "Gun Smith Cats". Both of those are action that's fun to watch. They're the American Lager of Anime Beers...

You might like "Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade". That's the porter of anime beers. It is dark and bitter.

"Kaena" is actually French, and is mostly an advert for digital modeling of fluid dynamics. Similar to Final Fantasy in that the plot is sort of eh... but it is pretty!

I have heard the "Grave of the Fireflies" will make the most cold-hearted person in the world cry. It is about child suvivors of the atomic bombing of Japan. I haven't been able to bring myself to see it yet.

You can't go wrong with Miyazaki. "Nausicaa" is my favorite with "Spirited Away" not far behind it. Everybody -- even those people who think they don't like Anime -- should see a Miyazaki film.

mdwyer
01/16/2009, 09:40 AM
"American Beauty", I can never watch again. That movie messed me up.

I didn't get "The Life Aquatic"...

"Science of Sleep" was cool -- I love Gondry's effects -- but I just didn't like the movie that much. Same with "Be Kind Rewind". "Eternal Sunshine" was sooo much better. Incidently, there's a DVD out that collects all of Gondry's music videos. That's worth a rent.

Of the movies on your list that I haven't seen (and mostly enjoyed!), are there ones that you would recommend over all the others? I think "No Country" is already at the top of my queue...
The Mexican
Finding Neverland
No COuntry for old men
Darjeeling Limited
Nightmare before Christmas

I've been seriously burned by the arthouse more than once. There are some that are truly groundbreaking and amazing films: "The Station Agent", "Amelie", etc. Wasn't "Primer" a festival film? But some of the worst movies I've EVER seen have been festival films. *shudder* Well, I hope there's some good ones this year!

nfpgasmask
01/16/2009, 11:21 AM
I've got to play the 'respectfully disagree' card, too. I can respect that it pulls a lot of weight in the world -- and I'm having a tough time thinking of any 'conventional animation' that matches without dipping into Disney. But I just can't believe it gets that spot on your list.

Personally, I like Disney the same way I like the Beatles. I respect them as an important part of history, but I for me, it's just not my thing. Typically, I cannot put children's films, animated or otherwise on my "serious" top 10 list, although it is arguable whether or not some of the original Disney stuff is actually for children to begin with. :)

Keep in mind, however, that a large part of why I won't let myself enjoy Akira is just that I'm a pretentious b**tard. :)

Don't worry, I am a film geek too, maybe not pretentious, but absolutely opinionated.

Bleh. The original Appleseed is dated. Ex Machina is a John Woo movie, complete with the cliche doves. Vexille was an excuse to re-use the digital models from the digital Appleseed. The first Ghost in the Shell was pretty, but kind of empty.

Agreed. The orignial GITS was a visual treat, no doubt, but the story is absolutely empty, as you say. Thus, back to Akira for me...

I love Shirow's manga, but most of the movies are actually not very good.

I agree. GITS 2 and the series are pretty much blah, imo.

A large part of it, I'm sure, is the Japanese mindset, which is somehow offensive to American movie sensibilities. For example, Final Fantasy -- it is a beautiful movie. But the plot is every bit as corny as that in Silent Running. :-P

I agree. Most of the digital stuff that has come out seems to me to be more of a "flex of the muscles" as opposed to a complete package.

Excellent choices. I agree about the Animatrix. There was some beautiful work on that. I would recommend the Cowboy Bebop movie. Although that gets close to the can of worms, I think it stands on its own well enough.

Agreed. I have seen it, and it is quite good.

I just recently enjoyed Paprika, when it was available for instant viewing on Netflix. It is by the same guy who did Milennium Actress, so you know you're in for a mind-bending. The same guy also did "Perfect Blue" a few years back, which I didn't like. "Kite" is also near the top of my list, but I'm uncomfortable actually recommending it to anyone...

I have seen all three above. I loved Kite, but I understand what you mean about recommending it. It might not settle well with some people. Paprika was beautiful, including the excellent Susumu Hirasawa soundtrack (I love his stuff) but personally, I got lost in that story. I enjoyed Perfect Blue, I thought it was an interesting idea for an anime (more of a serious story devoid of giant robots and cyborgs for once) but it wasn't something lasting for me. Milennium Actress was superb however. Talk about putting a lump in your throat....just a beautiful story.

"Read or Die" was sort of fun, as was "Gun Smith Cats". Both of those are action that's fun to watch. They're the American Lager of Anime Beers...

These 2 I have not seen.

You might like "Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade". That's the porter of anime beers. It is dark and bitter.

Loved it! But I caution you, stay away from Mamoru Oshii's live action stuff (like The Red Spectacles and Stray Dog). In my opinion, his live action stuff is brutally painful to get through. Its like he has a decent budget, but blows the whole wad on an awesome 10 minute sequence but then just adds a bunch of boring fluff to make a full length film. Its sucks too, because the opening scene of Avalon ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267287/ ) is one of the most spectacular pieces of digitally enhanced live action I have ever seen, but the entire remainder of the film falls incredibly short.

"Kaena" is actually French, and is mostly an advert for digital modeling of fluid dynamics. Similar to Final Fantasy in that the plot is sort of eh... but it is pretty!

Yup, saw it. Very pretty, but a crappy plot indeed.

I have heard the "Grave of the Fireflies" will make the most cold-hearted person in the world cry. It is about child suvivors of the atomic bombing of Japan. I haven't been able to bring myself to see it yet.

If you haven't seen it yet, watch it. If I had to make a top 3 list of the most depressing films ever made, I would say this film would be in that top 3. It is gut-wrenching, and could very easily make a grown man cry. :)

You can't go wrong with Miyazaki. "Nausicaa" is my favorite with "Spirited Away" not far behind it. Everybody -- even those people who think they don't like Anime -- should see a Miyazaki film.

Couldn't agree more. Totoro and Spirited Away are my favs, with Porco up there too. Spirited Away is just so fantastically imaginative...it really is wonderful.

Wow, nerdy. :) All that said, I still love Akira. The story is intense and meaninful and the animation, soundtrack and characters are just absolutely everything I could ask for. The manga is just as good, and as I said before, almost better. I think maybe you just don't like it so much because you think you are "supposed to"? This is definitely where your being pretentious would come into play! :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Good discussion, I love movie talk. I think this: "BW 1645161" is my nic on Netflix, add me as a friend!

:) Bart

nfpgasmask
01/16/2009, 11:28 AM
There are some that are truly groundbreaking and amazing films: "The Station Agent", "Amelie", etc.

Ur gonna laugh, Amelie was #10 on my list for a few minutes when I was writing my top 10, but I bumped it for Akira simply because I thought an anime deserved to be on there.

Simply put, I sometimes think Amelie might possibly be the greatest film of all time. It is not only timeless, but you can be white or black, young or old, gay or straight, or from any culture in the world, and still love this film. It really should be on my top 10 list as well....its just a shame because I know so many people who are too simple minded to even entertain the thought of watching a film with subtitles. That might be the only thing holding it back...

Bart

mdwyer
01/16/2009, 05:13 PM
But I caution you, stay away from Mamoru Oshii's live action stuff Its sucks too, because the opening scene of Avalon ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267287/ ) is one of the most spectacular pieces of digitally enhanced live action I have ever seen, but the entire remainder of the film falls incredibly short.

Toooo late. :( That movie sucked. It could have sucked a whole bucket of golf balls through a garden hose, it sucked so hard. I wanted so much for it to be cool that I suffered through the whole thing, too. Just... waiting... for... the... cool... to start...

Ur gonna laugh, Amelie was #10 on my list for a few minutes when I was writing my top 10

Have you seen some of the other movies from Jeunet? Or Marc Caro for that matter. I got hooked on them back in the VHS days with "Delicatessen", which is still one of my favorite movies of all time. "City of Lost Children" is them, too. Jeunett is also responsible for "Alien: Resurrection", which while a total insult to the Aliens fan, is pretty much canonical for the Delicatessen/City of Lost Children fan.

Also, as long as we're headed towards movies with subtitles: "Run Lola Run".

xorayik
01/21/2023, 06:42 AM
Why are you bothered so much by this when that literally makes the site more complete ? If anything mal is way too strict with what it should accept or not

manatoki (https://koreanmanual.com/마나토끼-manatoki/)