PDA

View Full Version : Easy TOD off switch!!

kodiak
01/11/2009, 03:23 PM
Is it just me or does it look like all you need to do is connect a switch between pin 1 and pin 12 of the input harness on the TOD ECU to make a TOD off switch?

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/EasyTODSwitch.jpg

VX1032
01/11/2009, 03:28 PM
Tad, Nazrat on here, has his disconnected. All you need to do is cut the blue wire under the passanger seat I think. He wired it up to a 4wd switch so he can turn it on and off. It just shuts off the electromagnetic clutch, so if you have manual hubs you cna completely seperate the front drivetrain and have true 2WD.

kodiak
01/11/2009, 04:18 PM
Tad, Nazrat on here, has his disconnected. All you need to do is cut the blue wire under the passanger seat I think. He wired it up to a 4wd switch so he can turn it on and off. It just shuts off the electromagnetic clutch, so if you have manual hubs you cna completely seperate the front drivetrain and have true 2WD.

Yeah I’ve seen it done like that before, it just doesn’t seem like that’s the right way to do it. If this setup works it will not only shut off the TOD the way it was designed to be shut off, it will also show that the TOD is off on the TOD indicator on the dash. It would make it just that much cooler. :cool:

Gussie2000
01/11/2009, 05:06 PM
Ok guys,all this seems interesting,but what about the cons adding this 2WD switch to the TOD ? Because the US version didn't came with this feature at all

If the switch turn off the clutch & you have no manual hubs wouldn't this cause problems down the road ?

I'll love to have the TOD off because 95% of my driving is in the city,about 12-15 miles per day plus the possible gas-saving this mod can bring along with the less front drivetrain wear.

I think the better way to make sure this mod can positivetly work 100% is to get the trooper's TOD schematics & match it to our TOD to see if this 4WD to 2WD really works without any possible issues in the future.

CrnCnn
01/11/2009, 05:52 PM
I have done a lot of reading of OLD posts from Nazrat and others who have done this. One Con would be: Tone did the Mod and snapped a front drive shaft. It does not make our truck a true 2wd. We are simply fooling the e clutch.

I will be doing this as soon as I get a clear cut instruction and some more investigation. I plan to do the 4wheel hi option as well. One instruction I found was for a 2000(trooper I think) and I guess they have different color coding on the wire than a 99.

Gussie2000
01/11/2009, 06:07 PM
Wow that's not good at all.

It seems that the only way you can get really 2WD is swapping the trooper's TOD to the VX.

There's few TOD pin functions that differs from each other,that makes me assume that the software is also different.

Pin # 5 (ADC) axle disconnect output on the trooper's TOD VX #5 pin (NC) Not use.

Pin # 12 on the trooper's TOD (TOD switch input) VX's TOD pin # 12 (Not use)

Pin # 10 on the trooper's TOD ( Axle switch input) VX's TOD pin # 10 (not use)

Pin # 14 on the trooper's TOD (D-G map recognition input) VX's TOD pin # 14 (not use)

Pin # 17 on the trooper's TOD ( US/JAP destination recognition input) VX's TOD pin # 17 (not use)

So probably there's no room for such mod for our VX

pbkid
01/11/2009, 07:07 PM
this has been discussed multiple times and eventually we come up with the decision that even if you electronically disconnect it the axle is still connected it just isnt variable at that point...

im sure some of the vets will chime in with more technical info...

kodiak
01/11/2009, 08:30 PM
I’ve read everything on this site that has anything to do with TOD shut off and there’s nothing like this. Thanks to taylorRichies Isuzu workshop manuals post I was able to cross referents the differences between the TOD setup on the Trooper and the VX. I’m hoping that just because pin 12 is not being used that it doesn’t mean that the option doesn’t exist. I’m going to find the part number for the TOD ECU tomorrow and if it matches the Troopers then I’m going to take this to the next step.

P.S. I do have manual hubs so I should be able to test this safely.

pbkid
01/11/2009, 09:50 PM
awesome, if you get it working i would LOVE to do the same...

i plan on towing one day with my VX but i dont wanna fry the transfer case because im pulling a boat...i know i have plenty of power, i just worry about messing up the case...

VCrossfan
01/11/2009, 10:32 PM
Maybe one of our over-sea's VXer's can add some input, since there's has the OEM 2wd Mode. Wiring diagram, shop manual etc...

taylorRichie
01/12/2009, 07:43 AM
From Mbeach's Research:
I got as far as a paper prototype before I realized one critical design feature of the BW transfer case - the ball-ramp mechanism. This is basically a mechanical clutch that physically connects the front and rear driveshafts when the speed differential is too great. This means no donuts, dynos, or burnouts. And really, that's all that I wanted to do.
---

No matter how you over ride and try for 2WD you're at risk of breaking stuffs. The controller I was working on with my brother would have put a minimum of 5% front transfer to help minimize potential damage.

short of physically disconnecting the front, we can not have true 2WD.

The problem isn't with our TOD unit, it's with the differences in our Mechanics.

WormGod
01/12/2009, 08:03 AM
I have done a lot of reading of OLD posts from Nazrat and others who have done this. One Con would be: Tone did the Mod and snapped a front drive shaft. It does not make our truck a true 2wd. We are simply fooling the e clutch.

That is where it seemed to end right there. It looks like we can trick the ECU, but no matter what, the front will still get power. I think what it came down to was, when TOD told the drivetrain to give them more power, it thought it was but in reality it wasn't giving any, but it still didn't stop the front from getting the minimal. It still wasn't a trye RWD. I could be wrong in my assumption from the tests, but that's what I got from it.

I think he dyno'd it too IIRC. No power gain, no fuel efficiency change. Instead, you have 2 wheels pushing 4k worth of weight instead of 4 pushing and pulling with better distribution. I don't know that it is even worth it at that point.

Maybe that old thread can be dug up or Tone can ring in with what he can remember.

nfpgasmask
01/12/2009, 08:46 AM
Maybe one of our over-sea's VXer's can add some input, since there's has the OEM 2wd Mode. Wiring diagram, shop manual etc...

Well, from everything I read, it sounds like it is not a very good idea. But, if there is any hope, I think the above would be a good place to start. Either way, it would be interesting to see how different their setup is.

Bart

kodiak
01/12/2009, 09:05 AM
Well so far I haven’t found the part number for the Trooper TOD ECU. This is a layout of the two different TOD systems. It looks like even with the clutch pack disengaged there will still be a minuscule amount of friction in the clutch pack. So there will always be a little power going to the front. My plan is to have the TOD go into 2H in the way it was designed to go into 2H and not try and trick it. If the ECUs match and I figure out WTH the axel position swtch is for. I’ll start doing some test.

P.S. Some info on the JDM TOD would be extremely helpful.:confused:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/EasyTODSwitch2.jpg

pbkid
01/12/2009, 11:05 AM
what about literally changing the underneath of the VX to a trooper?? so it would have all the components of a trooper TOD??

kodiak
01/12/2009, 11:27 AM
I found this index of files on the 4x4club.ru site. I just don’t know how to get to the actual downloads. My Russian is a little rusty.

http://forum.4x4club.ru/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=18809

So-CalVX
01/12/2009, 01:49 PM
stupid question.... (VERY STUPID)
cant we just take out the driveshaft between the front end and the transfer case?
i ask because i might have done some serious damage yesterday while playing and my truck sits waiting for an alternator...
but i heard something metallic snap and my TOD check light was flashing...
i had to go home, and after two stops (to clean) the TOD went back to normal (confused the hell outta me)
but if i did damage something would taking that shaft out help at all
i am sure it will make it true 2wd but a hassle to put it back in

kodiak
01/12/2009, 02:21 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/kirk-inspirational-awesome.jpg

I was looking for some info on the JDMs and stumbled upon this little treasure trove. Take a look.:p

ftp://isuzu:isuzu135@89.175.21.150/

nfpgasmask
01/12/2009, 02:34 PM
Take a look.:p
ftp://isuzu:isuzu135@89.175.21.150/

Is there a username and password that works?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it is in the URL there, the weird thing, is it prompted me the first time....:confused:

Bart

nfpgasmask
01/12/2009, 02:42 PM
Dude! Awesome stuff up there! I am dling the entire "articles" folder now.

Great find!!!

Bart

kodiak
01/12/2009, 02:43 PM
I had to change the link. It would asks for a password if I linked strait to the download directory.

pbkid
01/12/2009, 03:25 PM
Большой софт поделен на архивы по 100Мб(маленького теперь практически не бывает).
Некоторые программы лежат в виде ISO-образов компакт-дисков или DVD-дисков,
некоторые в виде образов программ эмуляторов(VrtualCD, Alcohol 120% и др.)
Что за программа, какой тип образа и прочую инфу смотрите в файлах README.TXT
в папках программ.

Папка DOWNLOAD доступна только для скачивания.
Папка UPLOAD доступна для закачки. Разрешено туда заливать только автософт,
Все остальное будет удаляться. Софт будет перемещаться в папку DOWNLOAD.

this is all i came up with when i tried the link...whats it about??

kodiak
01/12/2009, 03:34 PM
It’s a Russian FTP site. Click on the download link and you should start seeing some english. :confused:

taylorRichie
01/12/2009, 04:29 PM
My plan is to have the TOD go into 2H in the way it was designed to go into 2H and not try and trick it. If the ECUs match and I figure out WTH the axel position swtch is for. I’ll start doing some test.

The problem with that is we don't have the same hardware to go with the same software.

We have a different system mechanically so no matter what Controller you use it won't give you 2hi. Email or PM Mbeach, he has done extensive research on this and could explain it to you way better than I could :)

taylorRichie
01/12/2009, 04:33 PM
Good stuff on the FTP BTW...

But who does it belong too? are they here? looks like alot of stuff from Tones CD.

kodiak
01/12/2009, 05:08 PM
I don’t know? I found the link on a Russian site when I was looking for JDM info.:confused:

Good stuff on the FTP BTW...

But who does it belong too? are they here? looks like alot of stuff from Tones CD.

kodiak
01/13/2009, 09:31 PM
Ok, this is what I’ve found out so far. The VX TOD transfercase has the same part number as the Trooper “8-97181-309-0”. It’s also the same one used on the Aisne transmission. The TOD ECU on the other hand is different. The VX is “8-97213-467-0” and the Trooper is “8-97244-928-0”. I’m still look for good info on the JDMs. To be continued!

Greasemonkey
01/17/2009, 12:50 AM
From what i can read you will need the shift on the fly front axle to stop the front turning - you seem to have a standard axle on the front - which i never noticed before
cheers
Steve

Gussie2000
01/17/2009, 07:38 AM
what about literally changing the underneath of the VX to a trooper?? so it would have all the components of a trooper TOD??

That's exactly what i've said.

Just replacing the T-case,TOD ECU & front axle hardware you can acomplish the goal.

kodiak
01/17/2009, 11:03 AM
That's exactly what i've said.

Just replacing the T-case,TOD ECU & front axle hardware you can acomplish the goal.

The ECU and the front axle are different but T-case is the same. It has the same part number as the trooper.

blacksambo
01/22/2009, 04:21 PM
Wait a second here. You guys are trying to disengage what the VX is all about. It's supposed to be the best handling SUV or PUV out there, for the time. Are you trying to turn it into some cheap Jeep? (They made some 2wd Wranglers for a while.) The VX was lauded by the pundits for its Miata like handling etc. That's unusual for a truck. The full-time TOD makes this possible in all conditions, including dry pavement. (You've all read about Tone out-handling 50 out of 70 Porsches at an autocross!!) So leave the beast alone, let it live the way it was designed to live. That's my two cents anyway.

Gussie2000
01/22/2009, 04:39 PM
Wait a second here. You guys are trying to disengage what the VX is all about. It's supposed to be the best handling SUV or PUV out there, for the time. Are you trying to turn it into some cheap Jeep? (They made some 2wd Wranglers for a while.) The VX was lauded by the pundits for its Miata like handling etc. That's unusual for a truck. The full-time TOD makes this possible in all conditions, including dry pavement. (You've all read about Tone out-handling 50 out of 70 Porsches at an autocross!!) So leave the beast alone, let it live the way it was designed to live. That's my two cents anyway.

Period ! :p

VCrossfan
01/22/2009, 04:53 PM
I think the main reason is saving MPG.. I Don't think it's worth saving a few cents per gallon compaired to damaging a TOD that cost well over 3k new... my 3 cents...

VX1032
01/22/2009, 06:06 PM
I would want this only to relieve driveline stress while driving on pavement with a front differential locker and manual hubs. Unfortunately, I don't take advantage of the handling much anymore with the bigger tires and lift.

tomdietrying
01/22/2009, 08:31 PM
Gussie and Sambo,
Don't believe everything Tonie says. LOL
Peace.
Tom

WormGod
01/23/2009, 10:15 AM
Gussie and Sambo,
Don't believe everything Tonie says. LOL
Peace.
Tom

Blasphemer!

Heretic!

Treason!

Well, maybe not "everything", but at least consider the issue at hand considering, he is, so far, the ONLY one who has at least tried it and tested the results. That's proof enough for me to start with. ;)

DOCSXV
06/04/2009, 09:39 PM
Wow, you guys are making this WAY to hard!!!
This is simple, reach under the passenger seat and UNPLUG the computer to TOD (you will lose ABS but this dosn't affect the braking other than ABS feature) put on manual hubs by super winch ($150 or so). I have done this for well over 6000 miles with no problems. NOTE there is no significant mileage change.
P.S burn outs, doughnuts and power siles are way fun in 2X4

WILLY
06/04/2009, 09:57 PM
I sooo want to do this with mine,I'm not a big fan of the tod,I prefer 2wd with 4 low and 4 high and I would love to do some rubber burning with my su-zu lol.

don moore
06/04/2009, 10:02 PM
hmmmmmm sonds interesting.:rolleyes:. now to hook up a switch to unplug and to replug the plug that plugs into the box thingy.:confused:. so you have to plug it in and engage the hubs for 4X4.....:smilegray