PDA

View Full Version : Workmeistr's in Virginia

workmeistr
01/10/2009, 05:11 AM
I arrived in Norfolk last night for a couple of months stay.:grino:
The VX performed flawlessly during its two-pronged cross-continental trip.

Everything went well with the move from California to Nebraska; everything except for my poor Range Rover which we had shipped. The transporters speared the roof rack, possibly trying to load it on the lower lever of the trailer inspite of my repeated warnings about the 73" height. Long story, but I'm looking at about $4K worth of damages as the roof rack tried to "peel" the roof off of the truck when it was hit. I'll surely be in civil litigation to recover that loss.:(

I'm looking forward to meeting some VA VXers while I'm here. I'm also looking to get my new Alpine PDX-5 amplifier and Kenwood 9004 graphic equalizer installed while I'm here so I 'thump' back to Nebraska in March.

Ldub
01/10/2009, 08:47 AM
I arrived in Norfolk last night for a couple of months stay.:grino:
The VX performed flawlessly during its two-pronged cross-continental trip.

Everything went well with the move from California to Nebraska; everything except for my poor Range Rover which we had shipped. The transporters speared the roof rack, possibly trying to load it on the lower lever of the trailer inspite of my repeated warnings about the 73" height. Long story, but I'm looking at about $4K worth of damages as the roof rack tried to "peel" the roof off of the truck when it was hit. I'll surely be in civil litigation to recover that loss.:(

I'm looking forward to meeting some VA VXers while I'm here. I'm also looking to get my new Alpine PDX-5 amplifier and Kenwood 9004 graphic equalizer installed while I'm here so I 'thump' back to Nebraska in March.

That sucks about the Rover...:sighwgray

At least you picked the right vehicle to ride the "troglodyte express"...who knows what they would have done to your VX.

Welcome to the "heartland"...:smilewink (when you finally get to "corn country")

tom4bren
01/10/2009, 12:20 PM
welcome to VA. We'd enjoy a mini meet. let's shoot for a Saturday in VA Beach sometime soon or Williamsburg would be nice too.

Tom

workmeistr
01/10/2009, 06:42 PM
Hey, Tom,
Sounds good. I need to feel out the work load for this class, but sooner is likely better. Either location is good with me. The beach sounds fun, but Williamsburg is likely closer to/easier for, you?

Ldub, thanks for the welcome. Both me and my wife are from Hastings, NE, originally, so we're happy to be back in God's country. I live right next to a cornfield in Gretna. It just doesn't get any better. I had about a week and a half to set up the house for the fam before I took off, so, other than the Rover, all is well.

wht_dvl is down the road from me in Waterloo, NE, and I got a few more emails from other Nebraska VX'ers that I pinged a while back that want to do some sort of meet. I'll probably find a easy-to-moderate, non-body-damaging, offroading site from one of the local 4x4 clubs. Yes, even in the Nebraska flatlands there has to be some kind of trails...right?

Tom, I look forward to meeting you and Bren. I'll p'm vt_maverick this link and we'll start a VA meet thread. Take care, Bren.

vt_maverick
01/11/2009, 11:46 AM
I'm definitely up for a mini-meet. Not sure if there are any good trails in the Hampton Roads area, but if you guys feel like taking a spin down to the OBX I know of some fun places to drive the beach. Not as extreme as the rock-crawling I see going on in Moab, but the scenery is beautiful and it's one of the few places in the world you can get stranded in the sand alongside actual shipwrecks.

Time will be my enemy though, I've got a little girl on the way in late February so the sooner the better, otherwise it might have to be several months out.

tom4bren
01/12/2009, 06:13 AM
OBX sounds great but it's quite a haul for a short meet. Keep me posted on when/where.

Tom

workmeistr
01/12/2009, 01:35 PM
You're one up on me, Tom...I have no idea what 'OBX' is...

jdm monkey
01/12/2009, 05:53 PM
Welcome to VA! I'm in Va Beach.... we should meet up sometime.

vt_maverick
01/12/2009, 06:02 PM
Plans for Inauguration Day?

tom4bren
01/13/2009, 08:59 AM
OBX is short for The Outer Banks in North Carolina.

No plans for the 20th other than projects around the house. Fort Belvoir is closed so I won't be coming to work.

Tom

vt_maverick
01/13/2009, 01:08 PM
Weather looks good for Monday... maybe we could meet up in Williamsburg to ease tom4bren's drive? Otherwise I prefer to stay in the Hampton Roads area since that's where I know the most restaurants, bars, etc. Might even be able to get us on the AF base for some quality group shots by the flightline and water.

tom4bren
01/14/2009, 08:47 AM
I could do Hampton or Williamsburg on Monday. Keep posting details.

nfpgasmask
01/14/2009, 11:19 AM
So Bren, you are no longer in Cali permenantly?

Bart

workmeistr
01/14/2009, 01:23 PM
I'm good with Monday, Tom. I'll let the location be your call as I'm just the transient. Whatever is more convenient for you and still gets me back at a relatively decent time to get good shut eye before droning through a full 8-hour classroom instruction day Tuesday. I guess I'll see inauguration events on the nightly news.

Bart, I have official moved/Permanent Change of Station (PCS). No more Cali for me. It sucks I wasn't able to link up with the Reno'ites before I left, though. Finishing my thesis by the end of my tenure in Marina 'pert near killed a mental rock like myself.

workmeistr
01/15/2009, 01:35 PM
vt_maverick Weather looks good for Monday... maybe we could meet up in Williamsburg to ease tom4bren's drive? Otherwise I prefer to stay in the Hampton Roads area since that's where I know the most restaurants, bars, etc. Might even be able to get us on the AF base for some quality group shots by the flightline and water.

Let's do Hampton on Monday, then. Does that work for you Tom? Ashley has the itinerary/events. I'll bring chips? Is it still supposed to be regionally cold on Monday?

tom4bren
01/16/2009, 05:58 AM
I'm good for Monday. I need someone to pick a meeting location & PM me the address so I can put it in the GPS. Haven't told Wifey yet that I'm taking a road trip instead of making headway on 'honey-do's'. Maybe I can convince her to take the day off from work & join us.:)

Tom

etlsport
01/16/2009, 06:02 AM
tom you should put off the honey-do list even longer and come up to pittsburgh the 24th and 25th for some offroading/ vx action:thumbup::dance:

tom4bren
01/16/2009, 06:53 AM
T'would be awsome but I'm flying to Austin on Monday (26 Jan) morning so I won't make this trip. I hate it when work interferes with wheelin'. If that ain't bad enough, I have to fly out on 2 Feb to go to Dallas.

workmeistr
01/16/2009, 10:46 AM
Tom, I asked Ashley to "host" us in Hampton, between maybe just 10:00 to 15:00: Link-up location/address, warm place to chat/lunch, afternoon photo-op, etc.

I didn't think you would want too early a start or late an exfil given you have the longer drive.

Now if I could get the California sand, Mid-west salt, and eastern bugs off my VX without turning it into an icicle like etlsport did, I might actually be ready for a photo-op...

tom4bren
01/16/2009, 11:53 AM
I think it's supposed to get above freezing on Sunday - maybe you could getr purdy then.

vt_maverick
01/16/2009, 01:08 PM
You both have PMs with my cell, but for everyone else's benefit let's shoot for 1100 @ Marker 20 restaurant (21 E Queens Way, Hampton, VA) as a start.

Incidentally, there's also a guy down that works down the street from me who has a Dragon VX, so I'll try to make contact between now and then as well.

vt_maverick
01/16/2009, 01:09 PM
And no worries on the cleanliness; it's too damn cold to clean her up this weekend...

workmeistr
01/16/2009, 03:33 PM
I'm good to go. Mapquest and the Nav ate the address fine.

I look forward to meeting you all, Bren.

VX KAT
01/16/2009, 08:06 PM
Hey all, kind of jacking your thread a bit....sorry....I just bought my VX about a month ago from a used car dealership in Winchester, VA called Gasoline Alley Auto Sales. Had it transported to AZ. I have no history on my car, but CarFax showed it was licensed in Wash, DC; Beltsville, Maryland and Richmond, VA. I know it's a long shot....but since you all are around VA area, wondered if you'd ever known of a 2001 Foxfire VX in the area, 100% stock, no mods? It's in great condition, 63k miles, just stock. Thx.

tom4bren
01/18/2009, 06:07 PM
Nope,

I've never laid eyes on a Foxfire yet. I will tomorrow tho.

Tom

vt_maverick
01/18/2009, 06:11 PM
Sorry 'KAT, the only other Foxfire I've seen in VA was for sale in Fredericksburg in 2004, but it wasn't in the greatest shape. Probably not yours...

tom4bren
01/18/2009, 06:14 PM
PM'd blujfan & nervegas to see if they want to attend but it's late notice - doubt they'll be able to attend.

workmeistr
01/18/2009, 06:33 PM
jdm monkey pm'ed me that he has a misfire that's throwing code.

I ordered a set of tail light red-out films from him and asked him to bring them. He is going to try to troubleshoot the issue, but it's doubtful.

Anyway, see you all tomorrow.

jdm monkey
01/20/2009, 09:36 AM
Hey guys how did the mini meet go?

tom4bren
01/21/2009, 06:53 AM
Hey guys,

Sorry I bailed at the last minute. Scary times. My wife had a mild heart attack on Monday morning. They put in 2 stents & she came home from the hospital on Tuesday around noon.

Hopefully we can schedule another meet before Bren leaves town.

Tom

etlsport
01/21/2009, 07:38 AM
Hey guys,

Sorry I bailed at the last minute. Scary times. My wife had a mild heart attack on Monday morning. They put in 2 stents & she came home from the hospital on Tuesday around noon.

Hopefully we can schedule another meet before Bren leaves town.

Tom

yipes! send her my best tom

vt_maverick
01/21/2009, 09:50 AM
Yup, Bren and I still got together and had lunch. He's done a nice job with his VX - I'm going to have to bribe him to help me install a fairing similar to what he's done. And if anyone's considering painting their dash, I can attest that his foxfire dash looks stunning in person. I was initially skeptical based on the pictures in his gallery, but I'm a believer after seeing it up close.

Anywhoo, the baby's due in late February so things will be busy, but I'm sure I could slip out for a few hours for another meet if you guys were good enough to come down here again. Just let me know when/where.