PDA

View Full Version : General question

rjbuiso
01/06/2009, 05:33 PM

Gussie2000
01/06/2009, 07:58 PM
HI RJbuiso !

It's nice to see that more people are interested in the best SUV ever built.

It seems that you had your research work well done & that's a wise decision.

The VX were limited sold in the USA & that circunstanse comes with cons & pros.

1rst of all the fact that isuzu of america is about to cease vehicule production (19 of this month) & withdraw the US market is the most inconvinience of all

2nd the fact that the VehiCROSS were limited produced tags the truck in a sort of risk of extincion,although there's many other low produced vehicules across the world that becomes an antique valued asset after many years the VX seems to keep losing value down the road.

For example about 5 to 6 vehicross.info members had their VX's involved in accidents with little damage & the insurance companies rather have them totalled because the poor value the VX holds at this time.

About mechanical let me tell you that the VX comes with a 3.5L engine 24 valves DOCH which shares along with the trooper.

The transmission & the TOD system is the same so mechanical parts aren't the # 1 issue,is the boby parts that is almost impossible to find,at least brand new such as head lights,fenders,etc.

The 2002 isuzu axiom comes with a compatible 3.5L engine,but this engine came with 15 more HP propulsion (230)

Another issue is that engine burns oil,not in the same pattern, but it does;The PC valve is suggested to be replace at every oil change,the EGR also is good to be cleaned at least twice a year.

Another flaw is the windows,the window's tracks & weather strips tilt them toward the front,the rear or outward,the plastic tabs somethings breakes apart,thankfully one of our members designed metal tabs to correct that issue.

If you have kids the VX may not the be the best choice for you,because of the lack of space to get into the rear seats.If you are single or just a couple without kids or no planes to have any in the near future then the VX is perfect.

According to your profile you live in colorado,that geografical location works perfect for you,around colorado,california,texas,arizona,new mexico,utah & nevada lives a huge number of members that you can easly meet.They also schedule meetings,the most famous one is MOAB in utah so that's BIG plus.

Modifications,ideas & info about almost any thing related to the VehiCROSS you can probably find here & all members are eager to answer your ????? with no hesitation ;)

You can expect more inputs from more members very soon.I'm the 1rst one to welcome you.

Best regards ...............GUSTAVO :)

Riff Raff
01/06/2009, 10:43 PM
Well; Gussie2000 hit everything on the head of the pin, especially with the lack of replacement body parts, poor power window operation, and that the VX is best suited toward single people or couples without kids (as access to the rear seat sucks, and is normally removed by VX owners). If you have kids (or soon to have kids), you will hate the VX. Having kids is the #1 reason why people end up selling their VX.

The only thing I would add, is that rearward visibility out the back window is non-existent. Many VX'ers install a RV-style magnifier decal on the inside of the rear window to help rearward visibility. In addition, the little convex stick-on spot mirrors are absolutely mandatory on the exterior rearview door mirrors.

If you really get creative, you can always add a rear-mounted camera to help when backing-up in reverse. The local/domestic Japan versions of the VX came from the factory with OEM rear-mounted cameras as standard equipment. On the U.S. export models of the VX, there is a "dummy plug" located just below & center of the big word ISUZU on the exterior of the rear tire carrier. This "dummy plug" is where the actual camera lens was mounted on the local/domestic Japan version of the VX.

pbkid
01/06/2009, 11:47 PM
yup, they got it lol....

great vehicle to own, has its problems like all cars but generally a good car...

fun as can be to drive and will surprise the crap outta you both on the road and off....

good luck and if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask...there is infinite knowledge on this site and the site originator lives in pueblo, co which is somewhat close to durango along with many other members from colorado...

extra note- the car is amazing in the snow with the right tires...

welcome to the family and the addiction

rowhard
01/07/2009, 04:34 AM
I will be able to add to this body parts issue soon, since I am in need of both front fenders from my Christmas eve carport event.

Gussie2000
01/07/2009, 04:36 PM
Well; Gussie2000 hit everything on the head of the pin, especially with the lack of replacement body parts, poor power window operation, and that the VX is best suited toward single people or couples without kids (as access to the rear seat sucks, and is normally removed by VX owners). If you have kids (or soon to have kids), you will hate the VX. Having kids is the #1 reason why people end up selling their VX.

The only thing I would add, is that rearward visibility out the back window is non-existent. Many VX'ers install a RV-style magnifier decal on the inside of the rear window to help rearward visibility. In addition, the little convex stick-on spot mirrors are absolutely mandatory on the exterior rearview door mirrors.

If you really get creative, you can always add a rear-mounted camera to help when backing-up in reverse. The local/domestic Japan versions of the VX came from the factory with OEM rear-mounted cameras as standard equipment. On the U.S. export models of the VX, there is a "dummy plug" located just below & center of the big word ISUZU on the exterior of the rear tire carrier. This "dummy plug" is where the actual camera lens was mounted on the local/domestic Japan version of the VX.

By the way,there's a flexible covex mirror that you can add to the inner side of the rear windshield that do wonders guys, i bought it at strauss auto for just $ 12.00

rowhard
01/07/2009, 07:44 PM
Well, I'm in luck. The insurance is going to repair my beloved VX and I called Merlin about parts and he said there were a lot of front fenders in the system.

pbkid
01/07/2009, 07:58 PM
Well, I'm in luck. The insurance is going to repair my beloved VX and I called Merlin about parts and he said there were a lot of front fenders in the system.

about how much did he say they costed??? i need a drivers side one, but ive been waiting for a kaiser to pop up used...

crager34
01/08/2009, 08:25 AM
Drive out to Moab and you can take a look at mine if you like.

nfpgasmask
01/08/2009, 08:50 AM
You know, when I first got the VX, the rearward visibility was tough to get used to, but now, almost 2.5 years later, I don't even notice the poor visibility and I rely completely on my side mirrors. I always check my blind spots before changing lanes, but seeing out the back window doesn't even phase me anymore. So, I think, if you are generally a good, defensive driver, the visibility issue is a non-issue....but that is just me.

Bart

TheGanzman
01/08/2009, 09:48 AM
You know, when I first got the VX, the rearward visibility was tough to get used to, but now, almost 2.5 years later, I don't even notice the poor visibility and I rely completely on my side mirrors. I always check my blind spots before changing lanes, but seeing out the back window doesn't even phase me anymore. So, I think, if you are generally a good, defensive driver, the visibility issue is a non-issue....but that is just me.

Bart

Funny - on my one 50 mile + test drive, which covered a LOT of freeway driving/lane changing/merging/exiting, I had no problem w/it either, and the one I drove didn't even have the little stick-on convex mirrors. I could see where a tight parallel park situation might be dicey, but I just didn't have a problem w/it otherwise. I don't know what MOST people are used to driving, but the only vehicle I've ever had much trouble with was an '80's Lamborghini that a buddy let me drive - now THAT thing had crappy visibility!:eek:

kodiak
01/08/2009, 11:09 AM
The second mod I did on mine was a backup camera. I highly recommend it. :thumbup:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/new03.jpg

rjbuiso
01/08/2009, 06:17 PM

rowhard
01/08/2009, 06:26 PM

Bart

To add to that, I added this mirror, very helpful. It sticks on your windshield and sits on top of your dash just above that little cubby hole on the left side of the dash.
http://www.sonus-usa.com/autobahn.html

Marlin
01/08/2009, 06:53 PM
I am one of the newest addicts here (27Dec08) and I have already gone crazy with it. New tires, rims, stereo, HID lights, TPMS, (soon rear camera) and OME 919 springs. This thing is the funnest vehicle I have ever driven. Everywhere I go, people ask about it and can't believe it is a 10 year old design.
I have made friends with a few people on here, and this site is a seemingly unlimited wealth of info and a very tight knit community. I just wish I lived closer (MOAB is a long drive from Charleston, SC). If you pick up a Vx, be prepared, its hard to drive around and see a mud hole or trail and not drive off into it for fun:) Then you are late to work, or to an appointment, or to pick up your kids...*sigh* my wife just doesn't understand.:(