PDA

View Full Version : One tricked out Amigo!

nfpgasmask
01/06/2009, 01:54 PM
http://reno.craigslist.org/pts/982240088.html

Scott Harness
01/06/2009, 02:06 PM
I don't get Rock Crawling.I like a nice hard trail, especially with great scenery,but driving over a pile of rocks.:_wtf:

VX1032
01/06/2009, 02:25 PM
WOW, I haven't heard from Mike Wood in a while. Darn I wonder what his expedition rig is.

nfpgasmask
01/06/2009, 02:26 PM
I ran into that one the first time I did the Rubicon - sadly he seemed kind of surprised to hear a Jeeper praise his Zu... love it but $25,000 is still way too ambitious! :eek:

Yeah, that is a hefty price tag for a pre-modded vehicle. All I can say is "Good luck with that, buddy!" :)

I don't get Rock Crawling.I like a nice hard trail, especially with great scenery,but driving over a pile of rocks.:_wtf:

TOTALLY agree. I mean, you want to have the means to get through rough spots, but straight up boulder driving is kinda stupid if you ask me. I hate when people compare the VX to rock crawling vehicles and are like, "well, my Jeep with a 8" lift and 37" tires can get through anything". Well, sure, its a completely different application. I consider my VX more of an explorer or safari rig. It's not a rock crawler and it's never gonna be one...

Bart

Scott Harness
01/06/2009, 02:53 PM
Actually, those pics are from the Little Sluice of the Rubicon - that IS the trail! I have never even attempted the Little Sluice, I just looked at it and carried on to the Big Sluice. I understand crawling but don't have the hardware for that kind of treatment.. well maybe I do now! :cool:

So, when Grand Pa Bob's VX finished the Rubicon,did he do that trail or probably bypass it. I'm not familiar with the Rubicon.I thought it was one trail.Is it a series of trails?

nfpgasmask
01/06/2009, 02:54 PM
I understand crawling but don't have the hardware for that kind of treatment.. well maybe I do now! :cool:

Yeah, I mean, I can see how it might be fun, it's just not my thing at all. Hell's Revenge was an absolute BLAST! But in all honesty, it really was not that difficult, a few tricky spots, but nothing horrid. I can't imagine facing a trail full of boulders that you could only literally crawl over....it would be faster to hike it!!

:) Bart

Scott Harness
01/06/2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I mean, I can see how it might be fun, it's just not my thing at all. Hell's Revenge was an absolute BLAST! But in all honesty, it really was not that difficult, a few tricky spots, but nothing horrid. I can't imagine facing a trail full of boulders that you could only literally crawl over....it would be faster to hike it!!

We usually skip the hardest parts Hells Gate, Escalator,Tip-Over Challenge.Dragons Tail freaked me out, when we went back to get Justins VX.That was the part I wouldn't drive back up! Fear of heights grabbed me for some reason?!

nfpgasmask
01/06/2009, 03:27 PM
We usually skip the hardest parts Hells Gate, Escalator,Tip-Over Challenge.Dragons Tail freaked me out, when we went back to get Justins VX.That was the part I wouldn't drive back up! Fear of heights grabbed me for some reason?!

Oh man, that was just a superb day. I gotta finish the videos!

Dragons Tail: Is that the spot where you can not see at all once you get to the top and if you don't turn just right you are screwed? :)

Bart

Scott Harness
01/06/2009, 03:32 PM
Oh man, that was just a superb day. I gotta finish the videos!

Dragons Tail: Is that the spot where you can not see at all once you get to the top and if you don't turn just right you are screwed? :)

Bart

Correct!! I still remember the look on your face:eek:

CrnCnn
01/06/2009, 04:07 PM
Did I miss that one? Dragons Tail. You did something Different when you got him? Dangit

nfpgasmask
01/06/2009, 04:12 PM
Did I miss that one? Dragons Tail. You did something Different when you got him? Dangit

No, iirc, it was just that going the "correct" way through Hell's Revenge, you go down Dragon's Tail, which is not a big deal (just steep), we all did that, but on the way back, we were going through the trail backwards to save time, and you have to drive UP that hill, which, iirc, you have to turn at the top just right and you really can't see nuthin but sky going that way....scary.

pbkid
01/06/2009, 04:30 PM
ya the dragon's tail is interesting lol....i had fun on it though, nothing specail...

steel bender is much more memorable for me from moab but just look at the pics lol, we definately took the wrong line..

ZEUS
01/06/2009, 06:38 PM
So, when Grand Pa Bob's VX finished the Rubicon,did he do that trail or probably bypass it. I'm not familiar with the Rubicon.I thought it was one trail.Is it a series of trails?He most definitely bypassed the Little Sluice and most likely the Big Sluice as well. Although, with a good spotter, some patience, skill, nerve, and maybe some luck, I bet his VX could have tackled the Big Sluice. The Rubi is just one trail, the Little Sluice and the Big Sluice are tough optional routes. I ended up on the Big Sluice by accident the second time around - greatest mistake I may have ever made!!! The first time I did the Rubi was with a trail group of about 12 rigs, the second time was just two Jeeps. It took about 2 extra hours to complete the Big Sluice route versus the longer, more scenic, and more casual granite slab route - that may help explain how difficult the Big Sluice is. In fact, we didn't make it to the campgrounds before dark and had to camp at the lake instead! The difference is amazing yet both routes are worth running for their individual rewards.

Todd Adams
01/07/2009, 08:40 AM
Here is a link to our June trip to the Rubicon http://www.wasatchoutlawwheelers.com/events/rubicon08/rubicon08.php
I had debated up until the last minute whether to take the VX or Jeep. I made the right decision for two reasons. Linda got to drive the entire trail since this was my second trip and the VX would have been at its limit while the Jeep was not. The Rubicon IS the most famous jeep trail in the world, period. Moab is great due to the diversity of trails but the Rubicon is on the top all 4-wheelers to do list.
I doubt that Mike will get what he wants out of his Amigo. There is a comp rig being sold by a friend of mine for 10K less that is a much better deal.

nfpgasmask
01/07/2009, 08:51 AM
Todd, have ever run Fordyce Creek Trail? People call it the "Mini Rubicon"?

Bart

Todd Adams
01/07/2009, 09:06 AM
Todd, have ever run Fordyce Creek Trail? People call it the "Mini Rubicon"?

Bart

Nope, that is on my list. Maybe this year. I also understand it is harder than the "Con"

nfpgasmask
01/07/2009, 09:19 AM
Nope, that is on my list. Maybe this year. I also understand it is harder than the "Con"

While I have never visually seen the Rubicon Trail, I have walked a good part of the Fordyce Creek Trail while I was camping up there last summer. There were several spots that looked like no problem, there were also several spots that looked really tough. Most of the rigs running this trail were full on rock crawlers and way lifted Jeepers. Next time you and Linda get out here be sure to let me know, we can at very least get together for some brew and food if not wheeling. This area is only about 45 minutes from where I live.

Bart

Triathlete
01/07/2009, 12:20 PM

Did them all except the escalator!:bwgy:

He most definitely bypassed the Little Sluice and most likely the Big Sluice as well. Although, with a good spotter, some patience, skill, nerve, and maybe some luck, I bet his VX could have tackled the Big Sluice

I am not positive, but from talking (a lot) with grandpa bob and wheeling with him and seeing his skills and fearlessness first hand I dought if he skipped any of the obstacles. He said the short trail (i think it is around 17 miles) took 3 days and he felt like someone had been punching him the whole time. His VX was pretty beat up from it and most all of his cladding was ripped off the VX.

As far as the vehicle for sale...it is a very sweet, well built off roader but you can find comp buggies for less on Pirate.

Todd Adams
01/07/2009, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=Triathlete;143856]Did them all except the escalator!:bwgy:

I am not positive, but from talking (a lot) with grandpa bob and wheeling with him and seeing his skills and fearlessness first hand I dought if he skipped any of the obstacles. He said the short trail (i think it is around 17 miles) took 3 days and he felt like someone had been punching him the whole time. His VX was pretty beat up from it and most all of his cladding was ripped off the VX.

QUOTE]

There are some trails that the VX doesn't belong on and the “Con is one of them. I can’t believe I almost took mine. I did it before with 33’s on the Jeep which is what I have on the VX. I never needed any help getting through but almost tipped it over at least once which made me think the VX would be OK. While we were on the trail I was so glad we had the Jeep. The nice thing about an overbuilt rig is that you don’t get beat up and have a much better time. I had expected that Linda would take a break from driving but never did.

nfpgasmask
01/07/2009, 01:19 PM
His VX was pretty beat up from it and most all of his cladding was ripped off the VX.

Wow, I would have loved to see photos of him doing it in his VX and the aftermath/carnage.

Bart

Triathlete
01/07/2009, 10:03 PM
and the aftermath/carnage.

I saw the patched, rhino lined rebolted back on aftermath!:eek: