PDA

View Full Version : 2001 VX vs. 2001 Rodeo Sport - Make Up My Mind!

TheGanzman
01/05/2009, 09:59 AM
O.K. - here's my situation: I am GONNA buy another SUV, to replace my current "work car" when it comes off-lease - an '07 Chrysler 300C SRT8. Need an SUV (read: "hitch") to haul 1-2 bicycles w/my fancy receiver-mounted bike rack; plus I like the look of an SUV, plus the higher seating position. My "fun car" is an '88 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe; also be aware that my wife and I have no kids or dogs to haul around. Her car is a Lexus SC430, so *I* will be "the one" to have the 4-seater for the very occasional times we need one. My driving needs are fairly limited, since I work out of my house - probably 6-8K miles/year total. I'm 53 years old, and I want something reasonably "cool" to drive, but I will NOT pay more than ~$20K MAX on my work car! Don't want a 4-door SUV, don't particularly want another Jeep Wrangler or Grand Cherokee (had both), not that I had ANY problems w/them whatsoever; I just want a change! I've got a line on a nice clean '01 VX now w/fairly low miles and never off-roaded for $10K-ish; I've also got a line on an '01 Rodeo Sport w/fairly low miles, one-owner, super-clean at $6K. Should I go for the clearly higher "cool factor" VX, which will ride rougher, get worse fuel mileage, harder to access rear seats, less cargo capacity, and possibly have more/higher $ maintenance? Or should I go w/the Rodeo Sport - STILL cool in my book, cheaper initial cost, probably better for my twice/weekly freeway runs up to L.A. and down to San Diego than the VX, more cargo capacity, easier entry/egress for the occasional third and/or fourth passenger, and slightly better fuel mileage?

The cool factor of the VX is what I keep coming back to; but it will be my "work truck", and I DO have a cool car already. I know many of you here have owned and/or driven both - h'ep a brutha out!:confused:

oldguywithgoodtaste
01/05/2009, 10:23 AM
have a friend that had a rodeo, constant repairs, not expensive, but constant. I got the vx last year (07), window regulator, blower relay, kinda pricey. no problems since. love the "buckety" ride, off road several times, no hint of problems. got steel wheels, new skins and roof rack, took out the back seat so the princess (my dog) can ride. imho, get the VX. make sure you take it out and get your "desert pinstripes".

Solitude
01/05/2009, 10:41 AM
both have cool factors involved
the removeable hardtop is a plus for the RS..

The WTH factor is a plus for the vx,

coinflip really

PittVXr
01/05/2009, 10:55 AM
Should I go for the clearly higher "cool factor" VX, which will ride rougher, get worse fuel mileage, harder to access rear seats, less cargo capacity, and possibly have more/higher $ maintenance?

Yes.:)

tomdietrying
01/05/2009, 11:11 AM
Here's how you make your decision.

1) If your young (age or heart) = VX

2) If you old (age or heart) = Rodeo Sport

Now, go and make your decision.

Peace.
Tom

LittleBeast
01/05/2009, 11:12 AM
Are you freaking kidding me? Seriously this is not even a question, especially here..... If you want an Isuzu that will get you absolutely no attention or comments or catch any car lovers eye, then get that other Isuzu thing you mentioned that even old ladies love I am sure. If you want one of the most unique eye catching vehicles ever made, then get the VehiCross. If you want to blend in and follow everyone else get the SUV if you want to stick out and make your own path get the VX. There really is no choice though, anyone that knows anything about car appreciation would get the VX no questions asked, I too have another "cool" car yet the VX still gives me the biggest smile for some odd reason.

TheGanzman
01/05/2009, 11:14 AM
Here's how you make your decision.

1) If your young (age or heart) = VX

2) If you old (age or heart) = Rodeo Sport

Now, go and make your decision.

Peace.
Tom

Where *I* come from, #1 above is called "lettin' the little head do the thinkin' for the big head", LOL! Obviously, with no kids and nuthin' but relatively impractical vehicles in the fleet already, I'm clearly "young at heart"...

nfpgasmask
01/05/2009, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I would say this is the wrong crowd to ask such a question. Clearly, the obvious answer is:

VX

HANDS DOWN.

:) Bart

VX1032
01/05/2009, 11:21 AM
Okay, I have had both of these vehicles. Other than the look, I would take the Rodeo Sport. It was a lot more useful in everyday life and I loved taking the top down on that first day where it wasn't quite warm enough but you could always turn the heat on.

Yes, the VX looks nicer and has a "sportier" suspension. However, I think the RS could be made just as sporty and is a lot more useful day to day. If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a while, the RS will also have a lot more parts available.

If you are going to offroad it, the VX is a lot better stock, but if you modify, the RS is your better bet.

I do wish I had a RS again, but I DO NOT regret buying the VX, nor would I trade it in for one.

Chopper
01/05/2009, 11:25 AM
Got a bunch of cool (and a few not so cool ) cars...and a truck or three. Not a factor. I don't know how you weigh a Rodeo against a VX.....one kinda sux in a blah sort of way...one doesn't:_confused

LittleBeast
01/05/2009, 11:27 AM
I don't know how you weigh a Rodeo against a VX.....one kinda sux in a blah sort of way...one doesn't:_confused

LOL, nicely put ;) I totally agree, I would never spend money on a Rodeo, blah, exactly.

etlsport
01/05/2009, 11:29 AM
i would buy a rodeo sport with a removable top... but i wound not sell my VX for it

TheGanzman
01/05/2009, 11:29 AM
Yeah, but at least I'd have more room in the Rodeo to load my Rascal in and out in a coupla years:smilewink:bwgy:

http://images.lilypix.com/albums/userpics/10077/normal_RascalBlack1.jpg

LittleBeast
01/05/2009, 11:34 AM
Yeah, but at least I'd have more room in the Rodeo to load my Rascal in and out in a coupla years:smilewink:bwgy:

http://images.lilypix.com/albums/userpics/10077/normal_RascalBlack1.jpg

Take the back seat out (takes me 2 minutes tops) and presto easy loading and plenty of room for a rascal, heck you could probably make a ramp for it!

DeepSilentComplete
01/05/2009, 11:38 AM
O.K. - here's my situation: I am GONNA buy another SUV, to replace my current "work car" when it comes off-lease - an '07 Chrysler 300C SRT8. Need an SUV (read: "hitch") to haul 1-2 bicycles w/my fancy receiver-mounted bike rack; plus I like the look of an SUV, plus the higher seating position. My "fun car" is an '88 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe; also be aware that my wife and I have no kids or dogs to haul around. Her car is a Lexus SC430, so *I* will be "the one" to have the 4-seater for the very occasional times we need one. My driving needs are fairly limited, since I work out of my house - probably 6-8K miles/year total. I'm 53 years old, and I want something reasonably "cool" to drive, but I will NOT pay more than ~$20K MAX on my work car! Don't want a 4-door SUV, don't particularly want another Jeep Wrangler or Grand Cherokee (had both), not that I had ANY problems w/them whatsoever; I just want a change! I've got a line on a nice clean '01 VX now w/fairly low miles and never off-roaded for $10K-ish; I've also got a line on an '01 Rodeo Sport w/fairly low miles, one-owner, super-clean at $6K....

I currently have both, a 2000 VX and a 2002 RS. Go with the VX man! The RS is nice, rides smoother and may be a bit bigger, but the "kewl" factor of the VX outweighs EVERYTHING... Drink the cool-aid, go with the VX. You won't regret it!

BTW, anyone looking for a 2002 RS, I have one for sale. It is in great condition and I'll be posting it to the appropriate portion of this site later today.

kodiak
01/05/2009, 11:40 AM
The VX WOW factor is very high. It’s just so fun to drive and it gets more attention then any other car I’ve driven, it’s like driving a Porsche on stilts. Driving a rodeo is so ordinary and bland. You will never not look forward to drive your VX.

Like LittleBeast said.

Are you freaking kidding me? Seriously!:rolleyes:

etlsport
01/05/2009, 11:43 AM
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] You will never not look forward to drive your VX.

now thats true.. when i get off the train, i have my vx key out and ready before im even off the platform

nfpgasmask
01/05/2009, 12:06 PM
Yeah, and if you are worried about space, like peeps have said, remove the rear seats and PRESTO!

http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/mods/rearseat.jpg

Bart

tom4bren
01/05/2009, 12:14 PM
You can get a receiver hitch for the VX so that won't help you make the choice. In a few years, you can even put a tray there for the rascal.

You can get in & outta the back OK with the seat slider extenders from Tone so don't let that make the choice for you either especially considering how seldom you will use your back seat. We use ours often and it's never been a problem.

Fuel economy & repairs will be a wash between the two (IMHO). No decision there.

Resale: I think VX's have hit bottom on sale price & will start climbing again. With the rarity increasing, the price will probably not come back down either.

Handling: VX hands down. The tight turning radius is phenominal.

Visibility: VX loses that one.

Coolness: No comparison, there is no match for the VX.

Adiction: VX owners are a breed apart.

Membership here: Priceless.

Keep us informed of your final decision but I think we all already know what direction you are leaning. Good luck.

Mark B
01/05/2009, 03:56 PM
I have both.
2000 VX
2001 Rodeo Sport
Also a 1999 Amigo
I love them both and cannot decide which one I would rather have.
They both have there pros and cons.
Buy the Rodeo Sport to drive during the week and the VX on weekends.
Sorry, I am not much help.

Ldub
01/05/2009, 04:42 PM
Dude...SERIOUSLY???...:confused:

I'd rather be force fed broken glass with a slingshot, while listening to a 9 hour "Weird Al" medly, than give up my VX...:cool:

You can't be serious...:rolleyesg

TheGanzman
01/05/2009, 05:08 PM

I'd rather be force fed broken glass with a slingshot, while listening to a 9 hour "Weird Al" medly, than give up my VX...:cool:

Well, I AM seriously leaning towards the VX; mainly just wanted to get some feedback from owners (either current or former) of Rodeo Sports, in COMPARISON to the VX...

Obviously, posing a question like this one on "The VX Forum" is kinda like quitting drinking and then renting an apartment over a tavern (said apartment ONLY accessible by going THROUGH said tavern!:bgwp:) - you KNOW what's gonna HAPPEN! Thanks for all your replies; VX it is - you can all put your rockets back in your pockets!;)

Ldub
01/05/2009, 05:11 PM
Well, I AM seriously leaning towards the VX; mainly just wanted to get some feedback from owners (either current or former) of Rodeo Sports, in COMPARISON to the VX...

Obviously, posing a question like this one on "The VX Forum" is kinda like quitting drinking and then renting an apartment over a tavern (said apartment ONLY accessible by going THROUGH said tavern!:bgwp:) - you KNOW what's gonna HAPPEN! Thanks for all your replies; VX it is - you can all put your rockets back in your pockets!;)

I was hoping you'd get a chuckle out of the mental imagery, but yeah, it'd take some doin' to get me to give up Suzy...:smilewink

nfpgasmask
01/05/2009, 06:50 PM

Just for that, I am going to make you a CD compilation of Wierd Al's greatest hits...there's nothing like "Nature Trail To Hell In 3D"! I love that song....so annoyingly great!!

:) Bart

Bulldoggie
01/05/2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah, and if you are worried about space, like peeps have said, remove the rear seats and PRESTO!

http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/mods/rearseat.jpg

Bart

Nice job on the cargo mat
:thumbup:

nfpgasmask
01/05/2009, 07:13 PM
Nice job on the cargo mat
:thumbup:

Thanks. I actually have a better one in there now, and I removed the rear seatbelts entirely. I bought an actual pick-up bedliner and cut it down to size. It's much thicker and doesn't smell so bad (the one I originally used smelled like tar from day one).

Anyway, yeah, for two people, the VX minus the rear seats is perfect for me and the wife.

I :heart: my VX. Got pulled over by a motorcycle cop today too!!! He let me off. Whew.

Bart

MSHardeman
01/05/2009, 07:28 PM
I LOVE my VX, but lately I have been thinking about getting a second car so I could stop driving her so much (even though I want to drive her all the time) so she might last longer. Living out in Colorado, and with the massive amounts of snow that we've been getting lately, I'm looking for another AWD/4WD vehicle. There really isn't anything out there that grabs my interest (and is in the $6500 range-an Infinity FX would have been the choice given no money limit), but I have been thinking about a Rodeo Sport. It would keep me in the Zu family and it has many styling similarities to the VX. I would be interested to hear from Sport owners to see what they think.

LittleBeast
01/05/2009, 11:27 PM
I LOVE my VX, but lately I have been thinking about getting a second car so I could stop driving her so much (even though I want to drive her all the time) so she might last longer.

Yeah I know what you mean, but I love driving the VX so much it is totally worth the wear and tear to me, and I really do not care if/when the motor or something else goes out from overuse, because that just gives me an excuse to upgrade those parts or have them rebuilt to better than new standards. Enjoy driving the heck out of it and upgrade everything that goes out!!!!! Drive the VX another hard 50,000 miles or so and spend $3000 on an engine rebuild, or $8k or so on an engine swap and save the $25k or so that I would spend on a different car for more upgrades and rebuilds on the VX in the future ;)

VX crazy
01/06/2009, 06:29 AM
Yeah I know what you mean, but I love driving the VX so much it is totally worth the wear and tear to me, and I really do not care if/when the motor or something else goes out from overuse, because that just gives me an excuse to upgrade those parts or have them rebuilt to better than new standards. Enjoy driving the heck out of it and upgrade everything that goes out!!!!! Drive the VX another hard 50,000 miles or so and spend $3000 on an engine rebuild, or $8k or so on an engine swap and save the $25k or so that I would spend on a different car for more upgrades and rebuilds on the VX in the future ;)

Ditto that!!

Scott Harness
01/06/2009, 11:28 AM
I :heart: my VX. Got pulled over by a motorcycle cop today too!!! He let me off. Whew.

Bart

Same thing happened to me awhile back.We talked about the VX. Then he writes me a ticket and says "Don't worry you won't have to pay for it, I wrote the ticket improperly":cool:

VCrossfan
01/06/2009, 04:10 PM
NO Kids = VX

nocturnalVX
01/06/2009, 07:20 PM

Yeah, the folks on this forum are going to be rabid pro-VX. However, the guys & gals over at Rodeo.info are pretty passionate as well.

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/07/2009, 12:57 AM
The VX
written by Andy Wachowski & Larry Wachowski

Morpheus: I imagine that right now you're feeling a bit like Alice. Tumbling down the rabbit hole?
TheGanzman: You could say that.
Morpheus: I can see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he's expecting to wake up. Ironically, this is not far from the truth. Do you believe in fate?
TheGanzman: No.
Morpheus: Why not?
TheGanzman: 'Cause I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.
Morpheus: I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know, you can't explain. But you feel it. You felt it your entire life. That there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there. Like a splinter in your mind -- driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?
TheGanzman: The VX?
Morpheus: Do you want to know what it is?
(TheGanzman nods his head.)
Morpheus: The soccor-mom suv is everywhere, it is all around us. You can see it when you look out your window, or when you turn on your television, or when you go to work, or when you go to church, or when you go to a soccor game, and even when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.
TheGanzman: What truth?
Morpheus: That you are a slave. Like everyone else who doesn't drive a VX, you were born into bondage; born to drive a boring, soccor-mom, johnny-come-lately SUV. Unfortunately, no one can be told what the VX is. You have to experience it for yourself. This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back.
(In his left hand, Morpheus shows a blue pill.)
Morpheus: You take the blue pill and the story ends with you driving off in your Rodeo Sport. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. (a red pill is shown in his other hand) You take the red pill and you stay in VehiCROSS.info, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. (Long pause; TheGanzman begins to reach for the red pill) Remember -- all I am offering is the VX, nothing more.
(TheGanzman takes the red pill and swallows it with a glass of water)

P.S.----who thinks as I that Morpheus's name be dropped for Moncha's....lol.

I LOVE my VX, but lately I have been thinking about getting a second car so I could stop driving her so much (even though I want to drive her all the time) so she might last longer. Living out in Colorado, and with the massive amounts of snow that we've been getting lately, I'm looking for another AWD/4WD vehicle. There really isn't anything out there that grabs my interest (and is in the $6500 range-an Infinity FX would have been the choice given no money limit), but I have been thinking about a Rodeo Sport. It would keep me in the Zu family and it has many styling similarities to the VX. I would be interested to hear from Sport owners to see what they think.

Won't be long and '04 Axioms will be going for $6500!

snowtrooper1966
01/07/2009, 01:30 PM
You, sir, have way too much time on your hands;)
I suppose since I do as well, I should relate how choosing the VX will indicate how strong the force is with this one, or how if he chooses the Rodeo, he will be walking down the path to the dark side....
Best,

nfpgasmask
01/07/2009, 02:01 PM
The VX
written by Andy Wachowski & Larry Wachowski

Morpheus: I imagine that right now you're feeling a bit like Alice. Tumbling down the rabbit hole?
TheGanzman: You could say that.
Morpheus: I can see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he's expecting to wake up. Ironically, this is not far from the truth. Do you believe in fate?
TheGanzman: No.
Morpheus: Why not?
TheGanzman: 'Cause I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.
Morpheus: I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know, you can't explain. But you feel it. You felt it your entire life. That there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there. Like a splinter in your mind -- driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?
TheGanzman: The VX?
Morpheus: Do you want to know what it is?
(TheGanzman nods his head.)
Morpheus: The soccor-mom suv is everywhere, it is all around us. You can see it when you look out your window, or when you turn on your television, or when you go to work, or when you go to church, or when you go to a soccor game, and even when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.
TheGanzman: What truth?
Morpheus: That you are a slave. Like everyone else who doesn't drive a VX, you were born into bondage; born to drive a boring, soccor-mom, johnny-come-lately SUV. Unfortunately, no one can be told what the VX is. You have to experience it for yourself. This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back.
(In his left hand, Morpheus shows a blue pill.)
Morpheus: You take the blue pill and the story ends with you driving off in your Rodeo Sport. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. (a red pill is shown in his other hand) You take the red pill and you stay in VehiCROSS.info, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. (Long pause; TheGanzman begins to reach for the red pill) Remember -- all I am offering is the VX, nothing more.
(TheGanzman takes the red pill and swallows it with a glass of water)

P.S.----who thinks as I that Morpheus's name be dropped for Moncha's....lol.

Won't be long and '04 Axioms will be going for $6500!

Dude, that was AWESOME. One of the best posts ever.

:bgwg: Bart

kodiak
01/07/2009, 02:07 PM
X2 on that.:cool:

Dude, that was AWESOME. One of the best posts ever.

:bgwg: Bart

LittleBeast
01/07/2009, 03:35 PM
^definitely a classic post, well done Jolly Roger!!!!!

Cris
01/07/2009, 05:37 PM
Vx

johnny010
01/07/2009, 08:25 PM
You know, I have both as well. It's hard to say. If you want more practical go with the RS. The VX for me (less than two weeks) has been the most unreliable vehicles I have owned (including my Acura NSX which has about 8500 vehicles here in the US).

You will have issues with the windows (inevitable), the abs (inevitable), the check engine (inevitable)....and likely the TOC, and the pulleys, and the intake gaskets, and the door handles which break easy, and the rear axle seals that leak and cost a fortune...and on and on.... Are you getting the idea? I bought this knowing maitenance cost wouldn't matter because I wanted a vehicle that was unlike any other, and very rare.

If you are one of those that doesn't mind unplugging lights to make the ABS and Check Engine lights go away, you'll be fine. If you can afford to throw a few THOUSAND on maitenance probably every 2 years after driving minimal mileage, go for it.

The RS lacks the cool factor that you might get from OTHERS, but taking the top off has its appeal, and its cheaper to own.......and more boring. The VX feels like a sports car SUV..just don't throw it into a ditch like me.

Good luck !

TheGanzman
01/07/2009, 08:44 PM
You know, I have both as well. It's hard to say. If you want more practical go with the RS. The VX for me (less than two weeks) has been the most unreliable vehicles I have owned (including my Acura NSX which has about 8500 vehicles here in the US).

You will have issues with the windows (inevitable), the abs (inevitable), the check engine (inevitable)....and likely the TOC, and the pulleys, and the intake gaskets, and the door handles which break easy, and the rear axle seals that leak and cost a fortune...and on and on.... Are you getting the idea? I bought this knowing maitenance cost wouldn't matter because I wanted a vehicle that was unlike any other, and very rare.

If you are one of those that doesn't mind unplugging lights to make the ABS and Check Engine lights go away, you'll be fine. If you can afford to throw a few THOUSAND on maitenance probably every 2 years after driving minimal mileage, go for it.

The RS lacks the cool factor that you might get from OTHERS, but taking the top off has its appeal, and its cheaper to own.......and more boring. The VX feels like a sports car SUV..just don't throw it into a ditch like me.

Good luck !

All interesting! BTW, *I* am the guy that had the deposit on "your" VX! I've got a guy that owes me $ on a guitar deal, I just couldn't put the deal together fast enough to follow through. I've got another one "on hold" now, pending a pre-purchase inspection - private owner. Hopefully it'll all come together in the next coupla weeks...

And yours only had 28K miles - looked like it was really pampered too! Hope you get all the little "nits" worked out, Johnnie!

johnny010
01/07/2009, 09:51 PM
All interesting! BTW, *I* am the guy that had the deposit on "your" VX! I've got a guy that owes me $ on a guitar deal, I just couldn't put the deal together fast enough to follow through. I've got another one "on hold" now, pending a pre-purchase inspection - private owner. Hopefully it'll all come together in the next coupla weeks...

And yours only had 28K miles - looked like it was really pampered too! Hope you get all the little "nits" worked out, Johnnie!

Cool ! Well, for lack of common sense, I'd be better off just shutting off the lights like many here, but I don't think I'd feel the same getting into the vehicle knowing I cheated a light......it would still bother me.

Care to share your lead on your next purchase? I might need a donor...:bgwg: j/k

BTW, don't get me wrong, I love this vehicle.....it's like dating a model you don't want to afford but can't keep from getting back in bed with her.

Buy the RS, and you regret NOT buying a one of a kind rare vehicle, and will wish you had bought the VX instead. Buy the VX and you wish you didn't have the headache of all the little issues, but in a sick way enjoy the issues because it teaches you about your vehicle. Guess it comes down to what kind of guy you are. Not recommended for 'Drop it at the dealer, charge the credit card - maintenance kinda guy'.

nfpgasmask
01/07/2009, 09:58 PM

Wow, sounds like you have had a rough time with your VX. Outside of the ABS, which I don't really care about, I have had a CEL once that was the result of letting my gas tank get to low (my fault) and another CEL which was EGR related and easily and quickly fixed (at 80k miles btw). My door handle broke once, and it was fixed with a zip tie (still holding, did this 4th of July weekend). No window problems at all, and my rear axle seals are fine. My VX does burn oil and I have the seep around my front axle, but other than that, no major issues that would ever change my mind about owning this SUV. Honestly, I sometimes wonder if people buy used VXes that were not properly cared for and then have all sorts of issues and just think that VXes are crappy SUVs. Sure there are some lemons out there, but I truly believe that these are quality vehicles if you take care of them. Anyway, just my 2 cents....

Bart

nfpgasmask
01/07/2009, 10:00 PM
Not recommended for 'Drop it at the dealer, charge the credit card - maintenance kinda guy'.

You are definitely right on there. I have learned A LOT owning my VX, and I try to do as much of the work myself as I can!

Bart

johnny010
01/07/2009, 10:25 PM
:confused:
Wow, sounds like you have had a rough time with your VX. Outside of the ABS, which I don't really care about, I have had a CEL once that was the result of letting my gas tank get to low (my fault) and another CEL which was EGR related and easily and quickly fixed (at 80k miles btw). My door handle broke once, and it was fixed with a zip tie (still holding, did this 4th of July weekend). No window problems at all, and my rear axle seals are fine. My VX does burn oil and I have the seep around my front axle, but other than that, no major issues that would ever change my mind about owning this SUV. Honestly, I sometimes wonder if people buy used VXes that were not properly cared for and then have all sorts of issues and just think that VXes are crappy SUVs. Sure there are some lemons out there, but I truly believe that these are quality vehicles if you take care of them. Anyway, just my 2 cents....

Bart

Oddly enough, for 28K miles on the vehicle, the one prior owner spent a fortune maintaining the vehicle. I have the service records, and they were beyone meticulous. Heck, they replaced the compressor at 26K becuase they heard a noise upon start up that they felt had something to do with the ac?

Still though, x10 on the cool factor.

LittleBeast
01/07/2009, 11:36 PM
Not recommended for 'Drop it at the dealer, charge the credit card - maintenance kinda guy'.

So TRUE! The one time I tried that the dealer gave me the VX back half full on tranny fluid and 6 months later and $3600 later I had my VX back to the condition it was in before I dropped it off for 100k "maintenance"!

snowtrooper1966
01/07/2009, 11:40 PM
To say that someone will have issue(s) XXX, and that it will cost XXX amount is a bit misleading, IMHO.
From my experience, I have never owned a vehicle that did not have it's quirks.
I would say you are likely to have window issues, unless the previous owner perhaps was a member here and was smart enough to get the metal tabs to correct the problem. You may get a oil burner. I bought mine sight unseen from across the country and had it shipped to me. Not a single regret!
One thing I can say for certain is you will love driving the VX, and the reactions from others.
I have had more positive feedback on my Dragon than any other car I have owned, and that's saying alot considering I've had some very rare big block american muscle cars in my past....
Best,

kodiak
01/08/2009, 11:52 AM
Sorry you're going threw some ruff stuff there Johnny. Yeah, the VX is a 10 year old vehicle and dealer support is ether nonexistent or very expensive. If you're not comfortable doing you own maintenance and repairs them things can get frustrating. Personally I think the VX is very easy to work on. If I had to replace a tranny or even the engine I’d feel pretty comfortable in doing it myself. I’m replacing the clutch on my sisters 04 ford focus today. Now that’s a pain in the a**.:p

Cobrajet
01/08/2009, 05:19 PM
You will have issues with the windows (inevitable), the abs (inevitable), the check engine (inevitable)....and likely the TOC, and the pulleys, and the intake gaskets, and the door handles which break easy, and the rear axle seals that leak and cost a fortune...and on and on....

Sure there are some lemons out there, but I truly believe that these are quality vehicles if you take care of them. Anyway, just my 2 cents....BartI have to agree with Bart. I'm the original owner of a well maintained 2001 with 116K miles. I've never had a window issue, no ABS issues, a few CELs, all but one cleared without coming back. The last was fixed with a new MAF. No broken door handles, no leaky axle seals, no CD changer issues, no torn CV boots, NO MAJOR (and very few minor) problems, because I take care of my VX (ask Tom.) I think age and mileage can be mitigated with proper care and maintenance. It's been 100% reliable since day one. Nothing is inevitable...