PDA

View Full Version : Key, clickety click

WormGod
01/05/2009, 08:19 AM
So wouldn't you know it. I have neglected the VX for about 5 weeks and she rests in a coma now. I am bad. Bad owner, BAD! She was resting in the garage until I could fit her with a new MAF, FPR, EGR, and airbox, and well, I guess with the holidays, I just kinda.... forgot about her? I was in the habot of at leats driving her around the neighborhood every weekend just to keep her blood pumping, but that took the back burner.

I was on vacation these past 3 weeks and decided to finally get cracking with her. Of course, I turn the key and NADA. Hell, the lack of a dome light when I opened the door should have hinted at that. An overnight trickle charge did little but allow for the starter solenoid to tick away when I turned the key. A buddy of mine is gonna lend me his shop jumper tonight so I am gonna give the battery a heavy boost and see if that works. If not, it looks like a new battery is being added to the list.

I deserve a timeout with the dunce cap in the corner. :(

Feel free to send hate mail to my Gettysburg address. ;)

Oh, hope you all had happy holidays and your new year is off to a great start!

mdwyer
01/05/2009, 08:45 AM
An overnight trickle charge did little but allow for the starter solenoid to tick away when I turned the key. A buddy of mine is gonna lend me his shop jumper tonight so I am gonna give the battery a heavy boost and see if that works. If not, it looks like a new battery is being added to the list.

I did the same to mine. I've got a charger that, I swear, must have come from WWII. It is all chrome and curvy. It is also really large and makes scary noises. Anyway, using it, I was able to get the VX started, and after that, it ran for the day.

However, by next weekend it was dead again.

I did this for about 3 weeks before I decided I just had to spring for a new battery. So, now it's got a new red-top in there.

Maybe it is just time for the batteries to die? I replaced the one in the Subaru within the last two years or so, and it is about the same age as the VX. So, maybe they're all just reaching end-of-life, now.

nfpgasmask
01/05/2009, 08:50 AM
Shame on you, Worm! :p

New Years was great. Took 5 days off, got some long overdue work done on the house, and spent all Friday morning wheeling in the mountains with my VX. It was cold, raining, muddy, slushy and super sloppy in general. There were a few steep muddy spots with sizable ruts (which I avoided). Overall, the OME lift and BFG Mud Terrains made short work of the messy trails, which I was very pleased about. My rear end slid around a little bit, but in general, I never lost traction or control. w00t! Cheers to 2009!

Bart

kodiak
01/05/2009, 12:12 PM
Worm, how could you! You’re neglecting my VX too. Instead of going out and getting my VX Serviced, I’m stuck in front of your game killing super mutants robots and mercs.;)

tom4bren
01/05/2009, 12:29 PM
"An overnight trickle charge did little but allow for the starter solenoid to tick away when I turned the key."

Not suprising. A trickle charger on a completely dead battery won't make much of a difference - even after 12 hours. Good luck tho.

WormGod
01/06/2009, 08:14 AM
She moves again. Well, she did last night. Got the portable jumper from my buddy and she turned right over. Let her run for a bit and drove her around some just to get some air going through them metallic lungs. So weird.... I haven't heard that PV rumble in so long I was like WOW that sounds great, heh. So very strange driving it too. Been so long that I wasn't used to sitting ABOVE the cars around me.

I am holding onto the jumper till this weekend just in case the battery doesn't hold any running charge. Hoping the battery didn't cross over through the bright light. Would have driven it to work today but I don't trust these MD drivers in freezing rain. They can wreck up my WReX, but not my VX. ;)

Kodiak, I am glad to see you enjoying it. I heard the Survival Edition actually came with a midget that could handle all those "tasks" for you while you played. I could be mistaken. ;)

kodiak
01/06/2009, 12:15 PM
I just put a new battery in mine. My yellow top died about a month ago. It came with the VX so I didn’t have any warranty information. It sound kind of like what you’re going thru now. I’d keep some jumper cables in the VX with you.

Love the game! Now that a have Lincolns repeater and the Alien pistol things are a little easier.

Steel be with you.:cool:

WormGod
01/07/2009, 11:09 AM
You know, the sad part is, my battery is only a little less than 2 years old. Me leaving the door ajar (for about 2 weeks straight.... good thing it was in my garage) so the dome light could eat it and the cold weather are the evil forces at work here. Well, also should throw in the fact that I failed to start it up in almost 3 weeks, heh.

I always keep cables in the VX. Not for my sake, but for the random person who I come across looking for a jump. Always willing to help. :)