PDA

View Full Version : Tips for new owners

AussieVX
01/03/2009, 06:55 PM
hey folks... great to be on board.... i have just purchased (yesterday!!) a VX here in Australia. From you old hands out there what are the priority things to check, clean, replace and panic about on my new vehicle. It has 100 000km...

Cheers, Ross

pbkid
01/03/2009, 08:35 PM
start with changing the oil to synthetic and keeping it completely full...dont let it drop at all..

secondly, change the PCV valve (should be done with every oil change)...

im sure the other guys will chime in..but thats my top advise...

ps- welcome to the family!!!

Gussie2000
01/03/2009, 09:12 PM
Hi aussie !

Welcome to the addiction ;)

Beside the recommendations already posted here i'll add the T case & differencials all those fluids shall be flushed & refill.

Again,welcome the the board & have fun with your new toy :p

Take care of him & he''ll treat you as you deserve to being treated.

Nice you started the 2009 with new ride.......Oh yes, what a ride :)

johnny010
01/04/2009, 02:09 AM
start with changing the oil to synthetic and keeping it completely full...dont let it drop at all..

secondly, change the PCV valve (should be done with every oil change)...

im sure the other guys will chime in..but thats my top advise...

ps- welcome to the family!!!

pcv valve should be changed at every oil change?

Mark B
01/04/2009, 06:18 AM
Welcome aboard. Become a site supporter and become one of the family.

VCrossfan
01/04/2009, 06:48 AM
Double Yes on what pbkid said ! !

Or remove the PCV from the system, then no worries

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/VX_vent_filter_001.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8420)

Welcome to the Forum ! ! Aussie

kodiak
01/04/2009, 08:15 AM
Welcome!:thumbup: Watch your oil and exercise your ABS every ones in a while. It keeps the glycerin in the brake fluid from stagnating in the ABS manifold, just when you’re on some snow or mud slam the brakes.

Gussie2000
01/04/2009, 08:37 AM

Is recommended to do so;The PC valve is one of the most common failures & cause the engine to burn more oil.

Ldub
01/04/2009, 12:50 PM
Welcome aboard. Become a site supporter and become one of the family.

DING...DING...DING...GOOD ANSWER!...:thumbup:

Welcome to the VX madness mate!

johnny010
01/04/2009, 09:27 PM
Is the PCV valve about $16 at autozone?
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/bwp045-0262003.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/12669)

iamironman
01/04/2009, 10:12 PM
Is the PCV valve about $16 at autozone?
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/bwp045-0262003.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/12669)

no... should be $2.88 +ttl
that's what I pay

pbkid
01/04/2009, 10:21 PM
Double Yes on what pbkid said ! !

Or remove the PCV from the system, then no worries

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/VX_vent_filter_001.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8420)

Welcome to the Forum ! ! Aussie

does this work???
because that would definately be cheaper in the long run...

any downfalls in this??

VX KAT
01/07/2009, 09:09 AM
Any particular brand over another for the PCV valve? So far searching online, I see Beck/Arnley; Fram; Standard Motor Products (Tru-tech); Airtex; and Standard Motor Products (Regular)

deermagnet
01/07/2009, 09:46 AM
Pep Boys has the Purolator PCV valve #PV1061 for a few bucks. It's a one piece valve. Some others are a two piece design (possibly Fram) and some claim that causes leaks. I've checked my valve plenty of times, but it has never failed to rattle for me. Sometimes I replace it anyway, sometimes I clean it out with carb cleaner and put it back in.

Next time you replace the PCV valve, it's probably a good idea to replace the grommet also. It's been prone to deteriorate over the years. Sure, it'll look great from the top. The center part will separate and one day the bottom half will drop down inside the valve cover and the upper half will be on the PCV valve when you pull it out. It probably won't go far and you can easily grab it with tweezers or whatnot, but why not just change it now. If it falls out of reach into your engine, I don't think you'll be too happy about it. You can get a replacement at many parts stores for a few bucks. At Pep Boys, the Help grommets are right by the PCV valves.

I used #42340 and it fits perfect. Others have also used #42330.
http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/image/image5/help.jpg
http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/image/image5/42340.gifhttp://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/image/image5/42330.gif

Mark Griffin

nfpgasmask
01/07/2009, 09:47 AM
If I bought another VX today, I would:

Right away:
1) Change the oil to synth
2) New PCV Valve
3) K&N Filter

Very soon:
4) Change front and rear diff fluids out with synth
5) Drop the tranny pan, change filter, refill tranny and xfer case with synth
6) Check and possibly replace brake pads and rotors
7) Change fuel filter if it was not done or unknown
8) Possibly change Fuel Pressure Regulator and install a new EGR
9) Check coolant level and possibly flush coolant system

10) Let the modding begin!

EDIT: I would also examine the serpentine belt for cracks and replace if necissary and also check the spark plugs and see if they need to be swapped. :)

I know that list might seem excessive, but then again, I am kind of an excessive guy, and I love VehiCROSSes and that is what I would do.

:) Bart

PS - I change my PCV valve every other oil change.

Bieredalsace
01/07/2009, 09:51 AM
Welcome to the club! Hope you have a nice time with it.
BTW my daughter lives in Sydney!

VX KAT
01/07/2009, 10:38 AM
If I bought another VX today, I would:

Right away:
1) Change the oil to synth -Done, Royal Purple 5w-30- ****Is this the best weight for Central Arizona ? **** (winter: lows 20, highs 60)
2) New PCV Valve - buying 4 Purolator today- for every oil change
3) K&N Filter-Put Mobil1 OIL filter M1-104 in; ****are you referring to AIR filter here?*****

Very soon:
4) Change front and rear diff fluids out with synth
5) Drop the tranny pan, change filter, refill tranny and xfer case with synth
6) Check and possibly replace brake pads and rotors -done- 80% pad remaining
7) Change fuel filter if it was not done or unknown
8) Possibly change Fuel Pressure Regulator and install a new EGR
9) Check coolant level and possibly flush coolant system

10) Let the modding begin!

EDIT: I would also examine the serpentine belt for cracks and replace if necissary and also check the spark plugs and see if they need to be swapped. :)

I know that list might seem excessive, but then again, I am kind of an excessive guy, and I love VehiCROSSes and that is what I would do.

:) Bart

PS - I change my PCV valve every other oil change.

Thanks a million- Your list is exactly what I've been trying to assemble on my own by reading a million posts for the past 2 weeks....Now I've got my own check-off list! :grinp: I've checked off what I've done, & need to do the rest on the list.

Ldub
01/07/2009, 10:45 AM
I'd also add re-packing the front wheel bearings with new seals, & bearings as needed to the list...:_wrench:

deermagnet
01/07/2009, 10:53 AM
Ya might find a few things on my maintenance list that need to be done.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/maint.html (http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/maint.html)

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer)

tom4bren
01/07/2009, 12:44 PM
11. Check your CV boots regularly for cracks or tears (but you don't need to replace them if they're not torn).

12. Lube window tracks.

nfpgasmask
01/07/2009, 01:15 PM
I'd also add re-packing the front wheel bearings with new seals, & bearings as needed to the list...:_wrench:

Yes, I knew I was forgetting something!

12. Lube window tracks.

Another good one!

Bart

VCrossfan
01/07/2009, 06:30 PM
does this work???
because that would definately be cheaper in the long run...

any downfalls in this??

Pbkid...Next month will be two years in service with no problems. I haven't even changed the filter and It's oil free... I had this method ( but chrome or anodized ) on my past HotRods, the last was a Blown Big Block with no problems..

etlsport
01/08/2009, 06:29 AM
dont forget the little stuff.. like to condition the seats so they dont crack

pbkid
01/08/2009, 11:37 AM
Pbkid...Next month will be two years in service with no problems. I haven't even changed the filter and It's oil free... I had this method ( but chrome or anodized ) on my past HotRods, the last was a Blown Big Block with no problems..

ya i have one on my integra and it works great, i dont mind trying stuff out on my teg because i have a spare motor and its cheap and easy to fix, the VX is a different story however...i dont like to guinea pig my VX its too difficult to fix or find parts for..

VCrossfan
01/08/2009, 04:46 PM
...i dont like to guinea pig my VX its too difficult to fix or find parts for..

I agree...Unless proven I wouldn't have tried it...

lasturbo
01/08/2009, 05:38 PM
11. Check your CV boots regularly for cracks or tears (but you don't need to replace them if they're not torn).

12. Lube window tracks.

Silicone Spray?? Other??

Thanks

tom4bren
01/08/2009, 07:23 PM
Silicon spray seems to be the stuff of choice for most members.

VX KAT
01/10/2009, 09:45 AM
WOHOO!!!! I'm on a roll now! :thumbup:
1) Tweaking of the front track & bracket plus pure silicone spray and driver's side window works perfectly for over a week now. Pass side actually will go up on it's own, a bit slow but it makes it....and I haven't even touched it yet???? What changed from the day I picked it up? Temp? :_thinking:wtfb:

2) Changed my own PCV valve yesterday with the Purolator. Good thing I read about it here, as it didn't rattle AT ALL, definitely was toast (and it was OEM, so prob never changed!!??).

Couldn't get it to sit flush on the grommet ...Doesn't seem logical. I thought about hitting it with a rubber mallet but then worried the old grommet might split and fall in when I remove the PCV (as Deermagnet described) or I'd break the new PCV valve. Does the Purolator PV1061 sit flush or not?

I haven't been able to find a new grommet locally, so I'll order one online (thanks Deermagnet for the brand & model).

3) Got my PIAA 210 Xtreme White Fog lights & my favorite audio place will install next week! Yes, white fog, I don't like yellow/amber.

4) Ordered a Green air filter & cleaning kit yesterday. Now we have a K&N, a TRD and now a Green air filter, all with their respective cleaning kits....would have gone with Green on the 1st two if I'd known about them & only needed one cleaning kit!

5) Had oil changed to Royal Purple and Mobil1 filter.

6) Shocks are next. Got some great input from JollyRoger & others on shocks. Luckily don't have enough $$ to get them right now, so I've got time to figure out which ones will be best for me. I feel like a traitor not liking the OEMs but we live in a rural area now, and live on a rocky dirt road & my kidneys & ears will thank me. Still not convinced they're performing "normally", but I've got nothing to compare them too. If one of the Phoenix or Tucson VX'ers are ever in the area or somebody on their way to Moab & want to take a test drive, they'd be welcomed! . (I know Triathlete & Solitude are in general area, can't recall the others)

It's been a great week, at least I've kept my husband amused! :laughr: OK, he had to help me pull the old PCV out.....but that was all.

Thanks everybody!!:thanx:

Gussie2000
01/10/2009, 10:15 AM
WOHOO!!!! I'm on a roll now! :thumbup:
1) Tweaking of the front track & bracket plus pure silicone spray and driver's side window works perfectly for over a week now. Pass side actually will go up on it's own, a bit slow but it makes it....and I haven't even touched it yet???? What changed from the day I picked it up? Temp? :_thinking:wtfb:

2) Changed my own PCV valve yesterday with the Purolator. Good thing I read about it here, as it didn't rattle AT ALL, definitely was toast (and it was OEM, so prob never changed!!??).

Couldn't get it to sit flush on the grommet ...Doesn't seem logical. I thought about hitting it with a rubber mallet but then worried the old grommet might split and fall in when I remove the PCV (as Deermagnet described) or I'd break the new PCV valve. Does the Purolator PV1061 sit flush or not?

I haven't been able to find a new grommet locally, so I'll order one online (thanks Deermagnet for the brand & model).

3) Got my PIAA 210 Xtreme White Fog lights & my favorite audio place will install next week! Yes, white fog, I don't like yellow/amber.

4) Ordered a Green air filter & cleaning kit yesterday. Now we have a K&N, a TRD and now a Green air filter, all with their respective cleaning kits....would have gone with Green on the 1st two if I'd known about them & only needed one cleaning kit!

5) Had oil changed to Royal Purple and Mobil1 filter.

6) Shocks are next. Got some great input from JollyRoger & others on shocks. Luckily don't have enough $$ to get them right now, so I've got time to figure out which ones will be best for me. I feel like a traitor not liking the OEMs but we live in a rural area now, and live on a rocky dirt road & my kidneys & ears will thank me. Still not convinced they're performing "normally", but I've got nothing to compare them too. If one of the Phoenix or Tucson VX'ers are ever in the area or somebody on their way to Moab & want to take a test drive, they'd be welcomed! . (I know Triathlete & Solitude are in general area, can't recall the others)

It's been a great week, at least I've kept my husband amused! :laughr: OK, he had to help me pull the old PCV out.....but that was all.

Thanks everybody!!:thanx:

Hey KAT that's good new though ! :)

I knew you'll be able to have those windows working as should they.As i said before with time,pacient & some "CSI" sense you could have every thing up & running;Those little details that sometime we missed is what make all the difference.

At the same time you got your husband bit bussy doing those little hand-on-the-job stuff instead of sitting front the TV :p

Have a good weekend KAT !;)