PDA

View Full Version : Was the abs module ever corrected

johnny010
12/30/2008, 10:17 PM
Was the abs module ever corrected from Isuzu? I'm asking before I drop the $3000 to do the job. If it's just going to fail again in a year or so, why spend the money? Anyone know if the issues were corrected?

Y33TREKker
12/31/2008, 09:24 AM
I'm not sure you'll find a definitive answer on that one. I saw an unused OEM module on eBay quite awhile back that looked the same as ours, and was advertised as being for a VX, but when I called Merlin to verify the part number (it was a little different than the one listed in a parts book I had), even he wasn't sure about it. He just said that at times, Isuzu applied superceded part numbers to some parts, but that it was impossible to tell whether it was done because actual changes had been made, whether they had just been purchased from another supplier, or ???

Solitude
12/31/2008, 10:11 AM
I think Etl recently did this.. may check with him first

etlsport
12/31/2008, 10:59 AM
I think Etl recently did this.. may check with him first

i pulled a used module from a wrecked vx for 100.. i installed it myself in about 45 minutes with help for 15 to bleed the brakes.. even if it fails 20 times.. still cheaper than the dealership

BlackVXer99
01/03/2009, 01:32 PM
My abs light came on recently, but i feel no difference in the braking. I am under warranty still for a few thousand miles so I may take it in just to be safe. what do you guys/gals think?

When it needs to be replaced (the ~$3000 job), is there a noticeable difference in braking?

Tone
01/03/2009, 02:19 PM
If the ABS light is NOT flashing, it is typically only a sensor or wiring to sensor issue and ABS WILL continue to operate correctly. IF the ABS light is flashing, it is the control module and ABS will NOT be working correctly. In TX, you can pass a safety inspection with the light lit as long as it is not flashing and/or the brake warning light on the dash is not on.

Also, if you have NOT been flushing your brake fluid regularly (at least every two years) it is probably dark or black and will over time destroy the module under the hood.

BlackVXer99
01/03/2009, 02:27 PM
Great thanks for the heads up tone!. Where should i start as far as troubleshooting is concerned? When it first came on, It would only come on every now and then, depending on the length of the trip. But now for the last 500-1000 miles, its been on constantly.

etlsport
01/03/2009, 06:39 PM
i replaced my module recently.. i didnt notice a huge difference in braking performance.. maybe a very slight decrease in stopping ability in extreme situations (60-0) but my vx still stops plenty fast

albarosa1116
02/23/2009, 06:22 PM
If the ABS light is NOT flashing, it is typically only a sensor or wiring to sensor issue and ABS WILL continue to operate correctly. IF the ABS light is flashing, it is the control module and ABS will NOT be working correctly. In TX, you can pass a safety inspection with the light lit as long as it is not flashing and/or the brake warning light on the dash is not on.

Also, if you have NOT been flushing your brake fluid regularly (at least every two years) it is probably dark or black and will over time destroy the module under the hood.

Dear Tone and Members:

My ABS turned on for the first time, and intermittently turns off, but then returns. However it is not flashing just solid on or off. The brake warning light on the dash is never on. So I hope the ABS will continue to operate and if need be, pass CA inspection.

However, I did notice that upon starting my VX, I stopped hearing and feeling the clicking/pulsing in the brake pedal which is supposed to indicate that the ABS is checking itself?

Could this indicate that the problem is beyond a sensor or wiring to sensor issue?

Thanks so much!

TheGanzman
02/23/2009, 08:04 PM
I'm not having a problem w/MY ABS (at least not YET!), but if/when I DO, I plan on sending it to THIS guy, along with $106.00:

http://stores.ebay.com/Digital-Speedometer-Repair-Service

He claims to rebuild 'em BETTER than new; he's got pretty damned good eBay feedback too, so I'm guessing he's got something goin' for him...

I've bought a used dysfunctional ABS module off of a VX already; if/when mine takes a crap, I'll ship this one off for a rebuild, and when I get it back, I'll be able to R&R the module(s) with no downtime; my advice is to go and do likewise...

johnnyapollo
02/24/2009, 03:13 AM
That guy claims a fix for C0265 which is fairly specific - I don't believe that was one of the codes I was showing. I had talked to several of the larger rebuild shops and they basically told me the same thing - the Bosch-made parts were sealed OEM and no rebuildable - one even claimed to have tried on several and weren't able to successfully make it work. Anything is worth a try though - when you send yours off let us know how it works out.

-- John

psychos2
02/24/2009, 04:57 AM
My light is on solid. The ABS does not work when light is on. shawn

VX KAT
09/30/2010, 04:11 PM
Seems ABS unit issues have been coming up a lot recently. Found this older thread.

Saw this REBUILD on ebay for $99....anybody ever hear about anybody trying this? Seller has great feedback, but too many to search through to see if he's ever done a VX. It's a different outfit than the one Ganzman referenced.

Also, johnnyapollo said he'd been told our unit is NOT rebuildable....

Any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380216605723&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_3895wt_602

etlsport
09/30/2010, 09:35 PM
i seem to remember hearing positive feedback from someone here about that guy..

really though for 99 bucks.. they could screw it up 29 times and you would still be better off than going to the dealer ;Db;

problem with doing re-builds is that you are without an abs module for however long it takes.. in that time period you cant drive the VX unless you already have a second module. perhaps someone with a spare can get the ball rolling on a "send the next one here" kinda thing

TheGanzman
10/01/2010, 06:29 AM
Seems ABS unit issues have been coming up a lot recently. Found this older thread.

Saw this REBUILD on ebay for $99....anybody ever hear about anybody trying this? Seller has great feedback, but too many to search through to see if he's ever done a VX. It's a different outfit than the one Ganzman referenced.

Any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380216605723&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_3895wt_602

VX Kat - Thanks for that link! I bought a "spare" failed ABS module from someone here on the Forum a year ago. Even though mine hasn't taken a dump yet, this is JUST the impetus I need to go ahead and send that spare off for a rebuild. $100 is cheap insurance to have on hand - like carrying an umbrella, I'll prolly never need it, LOL!

WormGod
10/01/2010, 07:09 AM

Any thoughts?

Funny, I heard the same thing a while back from a couple of sources. Never gave it any thought.

As the great, late Tone mentioned in an earlier post, I too did hear, that if the ABS is at full light ON, the module is "most likely" not to blame, but possibly a speed sensor.

When FLASHING, the ABS module is failed as the circuit tripped and did not return from the module, meaning module failure.

Just what I heard.... I won't be held liable. :p.

VX KAT
01/09/2011, 04:17 PM
VX Kat - Thanks for that link! I bought a "spare" failed ABS module from someone here on the Forum a year ago. Even though mine hasn't taken a dump yet, this is JUST the impetus I need to go ahead and send that spare off for a rebuild. $100 is cheap insurance to have on hand - like carrying an umbrella, I'll prolly never need it, LOL!

Hey Ganzman- How'd this turn out? Obviously guess you can't say how it works, but how was the workmanship, were they timely, etc...?

TheGanzman
01/10/2011, 01:56 PM
Hey Ganzman- How'd this turn out? Obviously guess you can't say how it works, but how was the workmanship, were they timely, etc...?

Haven't gotten a Round Tuit yet...:bwgy:

rsteinmetz70112
02/26/2011, 10:14 AM
Looking into the eBay service, there is a lot of positive feedback, but as far as I can tell none for an Izusu. Google turns up a number of people that offer more or less the same service, although few lit Izusu, probably because there's not much market, so they either don't bother or don't know how.

Does anyone know what Bosch unit/series the Vehicross has? Is it the same unit as the Trooper? According to the rebuilders store, they look the same.

I also found that Isuzu had a recall for 98-99 Rodeo ABS systems and this comment and also concerning a Rodeo,

... the owners manual and they say to stop the car immediately. Shut it off, start it up again and for about quarter to half mile do not exceed 8 mph, go slow and the light will shut off. If the light comes back on, repeat the same. If it does not go off or it returns, have it serviced.

One site says cars can be driven without the unit. That makes sense if it's not working anyway.

tysamigo
02/21/2012, 06:55 PM

Is this really true? My light is not flashing, just solid. Does this really mean that the ABS functionality is really working and I just have a sensor or wire problem?

Triathlete
02/21/2012, 07:06 PM
Is this really true? My light is not flashing, just solid. Does this really mean that the ABS functionality is really working and I just have a sensor or wire problem?

My light is on solid (has been for several years) and I have NO ABS...just regular braking.

dietz99vcross
02/21/2012, 07:14 PM
Same here, solid light for a long time, no abs what so ever

Ldub
02/21/2012, 07:27 PM

My light is on solid (has been for several years) and I have NO ABS...just regular braking.

What Billy say...:yesgray:

If you can find some snow or loose gravel, try to lock em' up from about 30 mph.
If the ABS is working, (doubtful) it'll let you know...:yesgray:

Mile High VX
02/21/2012, 07:29 PM
What Billy say...:yesgray:

If you can find some snow or loose gravel, try to lock em' up from about 30 mph.
If the ABS is working, (doubtful) it'll let you know...:yesgray:

I do this about once a month just to keep it all loose and working fine...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Ldub
02/21/2012, 07:44 PM
I do this about once a month just to keep it all loose and working fine...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Meat-ooooooo

Had the abs light come on for about half a day ONCE since 04...And that was on a day when it was WELL below zero temp.
Later the same day, it went out...:dance:

VXorado
02/21/2012, 09:19 PM
Meat-ooooooo

Had the abs light come on for about half a day ONCE since 04...And that was on a day when it was WELL below zero temp.
Later the same day, it went out...:dance:

I'm on my second module & the light has been going on/off for the last couple months during cold weather. I'm over it... if this module goes out, i'm pulling the plug :yesgray:

tysamigo
02/22/2012, 07:48 AM
I like to drive my vx a "little aggressively" :bwgy: so I like the peace of mind that I have anti-locking brakes especially in slippery conditions. I would really really like to have a functioning ABS on my baby.

I would really like to get to the bottom of this and find out if my proton has a sensor/wire problem or abs problem. So basically I should replace all to make sure? Is there a step by step diagnostic procedure to figure out if its the module or not (aside from taking it to a dealer and getting reamed)?

By the way, I found an older thread where a guy claimed to be able to rebuild them to where the module was like or even better than new. I sent him an email and he replied back with his contact info. I haven't called him yet but am about too during my lunch break...

I said in the email:
Hi, I read on our forum online (www.vehicross.info) that you claim you can rebuild an ABS module like or better than new. If this is the case, can you give me some details? I have a 2001 Isuzu VehiCross."

His reply was:
david ruberg
123 w. sarnia st
winona, mn 55987
507-429-4489

I'll call him to see what he has to say. But I also read on that same forum several people saying that the VX ABS Module cannot be rebuilt. :_confused

atilla_the_fun
02/22/2012, 09:21 AM

This is not true - the P/O also told me that it was the right front ABS speed sensor that was causing the issues (solid light ABS on all the time). I installed new speed sensor but there was no change in the dash light.

Then I found a a thread here that mentioned shorting certain pins on the OBDII port to actually visualize the ABS codes (which can't be read by the rental OBDII scanner at the local autoparts store). After following the directions on the thread the code that flashed on the dash (the ABS light flashes a certain number of times) indicated that the module was dead.

If you're ABS is solid on, you're module is the most likely cause.

If someone has a spare broken module lying around, I would love to dremel into the casing and see if there are some broken caps or resistors. It is known to begin functioning in very cold weather, only to stop once warm.

If the module can be rebuilt for 100, the issue should also be fixable by an amateur at home. If anyone has a spare, let me know.

VX KAT
02/22/2012, 10:09 AM
I would really like to get to the bottom of this and find out if my proton has a sensor/wire problem or abs problem. So basically I should replace all to make sure? Is there a step by step diagnostic procedure to figure out if its the module or not (aside from taking it to a dealer and getting reamed)?

By the way, I found an older thread where a guy claimed to be able to rebuild them to where the module was like or even better than new. I sent him an email and he replied back with his contact info. I haven't called him yet but am about too during my lunch break...

I said in the email:
Hi, I read on our forum online (www.vehicross.info) that you claim you can rebuild an ABS module like or better than new. If this is the case, can you give me some details? I have a 2001 Isuzu VehiCross."

His reply was:
david ruberg
123 w. sarnia st
winona, mn 55987
507-429-4489

I'll call him to see what he has to say. But I also read on that same forum several people saying that the VX ABS Module cannot be rebuilt. :_confused

Is it this thread you're referring to?
I asked this guy x3 and he said absolutely he can rebuild our unit for $99.
I have a dead unit sitting in my garage that I was going to send in...but wouldn't have anything to test it on....and I don't want to remove mine which is "currently" still functioning.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20662&highlight=abs+ebay+rebuild

atilla_the_fun
02/22/2012, 10:26 AM
:_confused

I found the information. Please read through this thread - it presents a very easy and informative method of checking the code AT HOME, with NO TOOLS!

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12939&highlight=ABS+code

Please updates us on the code your's is throwing. I would be very interested.

Lizardmen3477
02/22/2012, 11:20 AM
Kat my light has been on for id say over 5 years. I would be a donor if ya wanted to ship it my way after he fixes it Id be happy to test it for ya ; )

VX KAT
02/22/2012, 11:21 AM
Kat my light has been on for id say over 5 years. I would be a donor if ya wanted to ship it my way after he fixes it Id be happy to test it for ya ; )
yeah, but I'd prolly have to pry it from your cold dead hands, huh? :laugho:

rsteinmetz70112
02/22/2012, 12:14 PM
I recall someone posting that they had their ABS unit repaired and that the repair worked as advertized.

Ldub
02/22/2012, 12:57 PM
I recall someone posting that they had their ABS unit repaired and that the repair worked as advertized.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=243280&postcount=5

vt_maverick
02/22/2012, 01:21 PM
So this may be a dumb question but... can you still drive your VX with the ABS unit removed? In other words, will I be grounded for a couple weeks until I get my rebuild back?

atilla_the_fun
02/22/2012, 01:40 PM
I believe you can, but only if you sent in the electronic half and not the entire part, including the half with the hydraulic valves (brake fluid).

vt_maverick
02/23/2012, 07:45 AM
Generally it's the electronic half that fails though right?

JAMAS
02/23/2012, 08:23 AM
I have 2 modules (well 3, but for the purposes of this discussion I'll say 2).....

I purchased 1 from a junkyard to replace the one that went bad. Now that my problem is solved (hopefully not temporary), I was hoping to send the broken one off to be repaired.

then repeat the cycle each time the abs module fails.

atilla_the_fun
02/23/2012, 09:10 AM
JAMAS, are you any good at soldering? I've found some info on BOSCH ABS modules malfunctioning in AUDI and VW (BOSCH 5.3).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqtowdSDbxU

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?171525-ABS-Bosch-5-3-Module

I'm not sure how closely our module's electronics match the 5.3 unit (produced in the late 1990's, but there is a good chance that our issues are as simple as the silver wire breaking as seen in the german cars listed above. If you would like to try to open your spare up, you may be surprised at what may have been the issue all along.

Joseph

I may open mine up this spring. I find that the cold allows it to function sporadically.

rsteinmetz70112
02/23/2012, 10:21 AM
Sporadic functioning is a sign of a loose/broken connection.

I think I recall someone stating that the VX units are somehow sealed (encased/coated) to prevent water damage and therefore more complex to repair.

I did a lot of research online on these things and don't remember where I found that information.

I also recall Trooper (and some other) units are very similar, but may have different programming. Never could determine for sure if they were the same or if they could be reprogrammed.

JAMAS
02/23/2012, 10:37 AM
eh, I'm alright with it.

Time is the real issue though.

It sure would be nice if it was something easy.

atilla_the_fun
02/23/2012, 11:04 AM
Sporadic functioning is a sign of a loose/broken connection.

I think I recall someone stating that the VX units are somehow sealed (encased/coated) to prevent water damage and therefore more complex to repair.

I have also read this many times on this board, but I had the feeling that all ABS units are sealed. In the AUDI/VW's case, they require careful prying open of the the case, and slicing through the sealant/glue that holds it together. I won't know until I do it, though.

The sporadic activation did feel to me as an obvious loose connection, as computer-boards don't suddenly work at lower temperatures if they have an internal de-lamination or they need to be re-balled.

A blown capacitor reduces capacitance to 4% of the original value, and this value would be even lower at low temperature, according to this page on ceramic caps (http://www.niccomp.com/Products/TC_Ceramics.pdf).

LittleBeast
02/23/2012, 11:13 AM
I still am not sure why everyone wants to fix this when the ABS on the VX for whatever reason actually increases braking distance.

tom4bren
02/23/2012, 02:29 PM
I still am not sure why everyone wants to fix this when the ABS on the VX for whatever reason actually increases braking distance.

X2

I'll be towing that ^&%&*% trailer home tonight with the VX. Hope I have better luck w/o ABS than I did wit.

SlowPro48
02/23/2012, 04:03 PM

Pull a 4000 lb trailer on a winding mountain road after a hard rain and you'll understand!

Actually your argument could be said of the ABS on just about any vehicle. If you're a skilled driver who can constantly brake at the point of incipient slide and you're on clean pavement, you can best the results of most ABS systems. In the real world, however, people are getting old, driving skills aren't what they used to be, feet are numb from pinched nerves, diabetes, etc. and there's gravel washed across the road - usually in the middle of a turn. ABS can make the difference between jack-knifing into oncoming traffic or going around the turn.

Joseph, that repair video shows a Bosch 5.3 which is a four channel module. We've got the Bosch 5.4 which, unfortunately, is a three channel model. (How about that logical German nomenclature, eh?) Some Troopers use the 5.3 but some have a 4 channel. The 5.4 is also found in the Dodge Durango & Dakota, mid 00's Ford F-150, late 90's SAABs and a bunch of other not-so-sporty cars. (Wait... is a Buick Lacrosse sporty?) I don't think you're supposed to use a 5.4 module from another vehicle though. Supposedly they're vehicle specific - programmed according to vehicle mass, dynamics, braking system, etc.

If you try the repair yourself and it turns out it's your "silver" bus wires, good luck soldering those and having the joint last! I know you probably meant silver in color but in case you meant silver metal... well... unfortunately that's not the case. Those bus wires are actually aluminum. No idea why they would use a wire made of material known to work harden, fatigue and crack in an environment subject to heat cycling and vibration but that's what they did and apparently that's the most common failure point in these units. Go figure...

When my ABS started flashing a Code 43, I thought briefly about Dremeling it open and repairing it myself but then I found out that might involve soldering aluminum and bailed on the idea real quick. Decided rather than risk ruining the unit with my jiggly 35W chisel and cataract addled eyes I'd to leave it to a pro who's got the proper flux, a skinny tip - and plenty of practice on other people's units! The hair-fine gold wires on the circuit board are allegedly another common failure point. No special flux needed for that - just plain old rosin core, good eyes and a steady hand.

On my unit, the power busses were good but a pad for a wire serving the FR solenoid had pulled completely loose from the board. The eBay ABS repair guy in Charlottesville, VA (Matt) fixed it and I would highly recommend him - good communication and blazing fast service. I think he normally charges $99 if you purchase service through his website (cheapabs.com) but check eBay and he's usually running an $85 auction for the same service. The title will say Bosch 5.3 for an Audi A4 or A6 if I recall - but he'll do a Bosch 5.4 for the same price. And that includes shipping the unit back to you. Can't beat it. Five minutes to take the unit off, ten to box it, slap a label and some stamps on it and put it in the mailbox and five minutes to re-install the unit. Quickest, easiest fix ever...

And yeah - you send just the electronic control module not the pump/hydraulics. You can drive the vehicle without the module but expect a little more tire scrubbing/chirping in parking lots and other slow speed/tight turn situations. Oh and you won't have ABS. :bgwo:

BTW, there's no harm in it but you really don't have to force the ABS to function every once in a while to "keep it all loose" because the solenoids and the pump get cycled during a system test every time you start and drive the vehicle.

VX KAT
02/23/2012, 04:51 PM
Awesome explanation and info SlowPro! :thumbup:

xcelr8
10/07/2012, 04:45 PM
sorry to open a months-old thread, but has anyone tried the soldering? I now have light on intermittently. Here's a question: I want to keep the thing on the road.If I separate the module from the rest, will brake fluid spew? I want to try the soldering but not if I am going to be bleeding brakes at night.

thanks, all!

VX KAT
10/07/2012, 05:04 PM
sorry to open a months-old thread, but has anyone tried the soldering? I now have light on intermittently. Here's a question: I want to keep the thing on the road.If I separate the module from the rest, will brake fluid spew? I want to try the soldering but not if I am going to be bleeding brakes at night.

thanks, all!

No, nothing will spew out at you. Here's what it looks like with module separated:

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/PARTS/ABS_control_unit_inside.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/PARTS/ABS_valve_block.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/PARTS/2011-01-26_050420_disassembled_view_kelsy_hayes_ech310_001 .jpg

xcelr8
10/07/2012, 05:36 PM
As always, thank you Kat! I can't believe at 65,000 miles this thing is broken. Bosch usually makes stuff pretty good...I'm pretty surprised. I know it's 13 years old, but nonethelsess...should still be good.

VX KAT
10/07/2012, 05:43 PM
Have you seen the guy on ebay that repairs the ABS modules for $99?
Here's a few posts on it.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20662&highlight=abs+ebay+rebuild

VT_Maverick had his done back in May by this guy and it apparently works as new. A new ABS unit is like $2,000 - $3,000 :freek::freek:

vt_maverick
10/08/2012, 06:02 AM
Yup, $99 and works like a charm. Don't waste your time!

tysamigo
10/08/2012, 07:22 AM
So is this for real? For $99 I can have ABS again? I'm currently on my 2nd used module.

vt_maverick
10/08/2012, 07:55 AM
My understanding is that the problem is pretty simple for an electronics engineer with the appropriate equipment and probably takes less than an hour to fix. But obviously dealerships and other shops don't have that kind of know-how so the only thing Isuzu can do is provide full replacements.

If you check out the company's website you'll find that they repair all kinds of car electronics. Apparently they've found a niche. :thumbup:

VX KAT
10/08/2012, 09:03 AM
So is this for real? For $99 I can have ABS again? I'm currently on my 2nd used module.

Read post #19 from thread I attached above:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=232493&postcount=19

I wrote to the ebay guy (resk123) that wrote that today to ask him some more questions...awaiting reply.
I've also written to the ebay REBUILD guy 3 times now, with pics, sent these latest pics of the innerds,
and referenced the Isuzu Workshop Manual, page 5A-5 which says this:
General Service Precautions
The following are general precautions which should be
observed when servicing and diagnosing the Anti-lock
Brake System and/or other vehicle systems. Failure to
observe these precautions may result in Anti-lock Brake
System damage.

The EHCU and valve block connectors should never
be connected or disconnected with the ignition “ON” .
EHCU of the Anti-lock Brake System are not
separately serviceable and must be replaced as
assemblies. Do not disassemble any component
which is designated as non-serviceable in this
Section.

...here's his response today:

Hi Sue,
We have several thousand of this same type abs Module, This Design is used on many other Makes and Model Automobiles, We will have no problem rebuilding this abs Module.
Thank You
Don

JAMAS
10/08/2012, 01:05 PM
I have a "broken" one that I should send to him.

I currently have 3. One installed, one backup, and one that needs to be fixed.

I will just keep cycling them :)

chadzu
10/08/2012, 08:08 PM
This is good info, and I'm glad there is a reasonable fix. I guess I now know why I found the abs light bulb in the glove box:(

VX KAT
10/09/2012, 12:09 AM
I have a "broken" one that I should send to him.

I currently have 3. One installed, one backup, and one that needs to be fixed.

I will just keep cycling them :)

I kind of did what you did Jon,...I'd already seen the guy on ebay for quite a while, so I bought a dead one from a VXer with plans to get it fixed by that guy if my current one ever died.

Interesting side note.....when Mav was preparing for his major driving trip last May, his ABS light was on, and he recalled I had a dead unit.
He had a very short amount of time so he asked me to send my unit to the ebay guy right away, have him ship it to Mav when finished.
Then Mav got that one installed, and gave me his dead unit when we met in Moab.
....and I still have the dead unit sitting in the garage...I figure I'll get it fixed by this guy if/when mine goes. Can't see any reason to fix it now.

vt_maverick
10/09/2012, 05:08 AM
Thanks again Sue! That last week before leaving for Moab was a whirlwind for sure, I think I paid at least half of the repair cost in priority shipping to get it to my mechanic two days before we were set to leave. Thank goodness it worked on the first try!

Maddawg
10/10/2012, 10:09 AM
No one in here mentions connectors. I had problems with the TOD light coming on. Driving symptom was felt when cranking wheels almost to stop while moving, as though driving over speed bump or wheels out of round. Dealer diagnosed it as the TOD wiring harness. $1400 for the harness plus labor. I read online that it may be the connector and to clean them. That's what I did and it cured the problem. So now my ABS light comes on solid while driving. Stop, turn off ignition, restart, no light. So going to clean connectors. I'll let you know if that works for the ABS.

xcelr8
10/10/2012, 12:11 PM
No one in here mentions connectors. I had problems with the TOD light coming on. Driving symptom was felt when cranking wheels almost to stop while moving, as though driving over speed bump or wheels out of round. Dealer diagnosed it as the TOD wiring harness. $1400 for the harness plus labor. I read online that it may be the connector and to clean them. That's what I did and it cured the problem. So now my ABS light comes on solid while driving. Stop, turn off ignition, restart, no light. So going to clean connectors. I'll let you know if that works for the ABS.

Great idea...I'll do this before anything else.

ALC1717
10/11/2012, 04:00 AM
This part also malfunctioned on my VX last year and needed to be replaced. I went online and found a Newer Replacement than my 2001 at a Salvage Yard on Long Island. I discovered that the Isuzu OEM part is Exactly the SAME for I think the Trooper or Rodeo maybe Both! Merlin could explain. Took a Few Minutes to Install by my Mechanic and it works like a Charm ever since !

xcelr8
10/11/2012, 07:18 AM
This part also malfunctioned on my VX last year and needed to be replaced. I went online and found a Newer Replacement than my 2001 at a Salvage Yard on Long Island. I discovered that the Isuzu OEM part is Exactly the SAME for I think the Trooper or Rodeo maybe Both! Merlin could explain. Took a Few Minutes to Install by my Mechanic and it works like a Charm ever since !

good call. BTW: The cleaning of terminals did NOT work for me, though oddly, after cleaning the light did not come on for like 20 miles.

Saturday I investigate soldering.

Maddawg
10/11/2012, 10:04 AM
good call. BTW: The cleaning of terminals did NOT work for me, though oddly, after cleaning the light did not come on for like 20 miles.

Saturday I investigate soldering.

Before soldering, try a conductive grease on the terminals.

xcelr8
10/22/2012, 04:19 PM
OK, this is what I did. I opened mine and cut thru some wires that are laser soldered...thinner than a hair. My neighbor who works on computer soldering could not fix. I searched and came up with a Dodge Durango 4x4 module that looked exact. Took a chance, and it fit and works perfect. 100. Here's thread detailing.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23339