PDA

View Full Version : misfiring

Mountainmotors
12/29/2008, 03:45 PM
OK....I'm a VW dude who happens to also own a VX....yes, I go for the odd vehicles. I changed the plugs on the beast this weekend and had some problems with the plugs close to the firewalls, as expected. The boots would not let go of the plug so I ran WD40 down the boot and twisted a bit and they came loose...installed all plugs and find that the vehicle now is misfiring.

Is this a problem with the WD40 in the boot to the plug or as I read in some posts, the possible additon of to much antisieze on the plug threads.
VX ran fine before change....don't think the plugs had ever been changed for the cars 73000 miles.
Any help appreciated and please no comments about the VW thing....VX....VW....its all pretty close....

psychos2
12/29/2008, 11:09 PM
Did you put the coils back in there original locations? One is different from the others and will cause problems. shawn

Mountainmotors
12/31/2008, 04:22 PM
After searching this problem out further....I found the #5 misfiring....moved the coil unit to #1 amd it followed....pulled coil unit out and removed rubber boot thing.....filled with carb cleaner....found small leaks coming out of side of boot....
It seems that now that these vehilcles are getting some age that the boots may be breaking down a bit....I repaired by stretching the boot a bit and filling the holes with RTV....let dry and reinstalled.....no more misfire.....

Went to local junk yard and tried to find intact coil units....hard to find....got one but also saw a disassembled engine and now see how the metal section the boot fits into could have led to the:bwgy: shorting out.....
Thanks again to the web site and leading me to the correct repair....
Still a damn good looking vehicle.....