PDA

View Full Version : Rear Spring instalation??????????

Triathlete
07/13/2003, 10:12 PM
:?:I know several people here have installed new rear springs (ome 912's). Has anyone done a how to on this for us mechanically challenged who would like to attempt this? I came up empty on the search. How easy is this task and are there any special tools needed? Thanks for any help!!!!! :thanx:

BBVX
07/14/2003, 06:45 PM
Hey,

It's really easy, with the right tools. Basically, you need a jack, an impact wrench, and a set of spring clamps.

1-jack up one side of VX from frame, let the axle dangle with the tire off the ground.

2-put one clamp on either side of the spring and tighten them w/ the wrench, thus compressing the spring (I suppose you could do this with a socket set instead of an impact wrench but it would be a lot of work!), the spring should more or less just fall out.

3-loosen the clamps, remove them from the old spring, put them on the new spring, compress it, put it in place (making sure the big rubber gasket is still in place) loosen the clamps, remove them, DONE!!

4-repeat on the other side

I remember there was some trial and error fitting the rubber gasket, turning the spring the right way to fit in the groove, how much to compress the clamp, etc. but it's not too bad. The whole thing took me about 3 hours and I had no idea what I was doing.;Db;
You should be able to rent spring clamps from any equipment rental store. I believe the clamps are a necessity for this job, and the impact wrench is optional but very highly recommended. Looking back, I would never do this without one.
If you have any ??s, let me know.
If I missed anything, I'm sure someone will remind us.
GOOD LUCK.

Brian

PS - I don't think you would need an alignment if you are just doing the rear springs, but I could be mistaken. If you are cranking the torsion bars, definitely get one.

Triathlete
07/15/2003, 10:00 AM
BVX...THANKS!
Sounds like a job I can handle;Dy;

driver3
07/15/2003, 12:19 PM
I'm positive Autozone rents those spring compressors, I rented the seal press from them for front bearings. It's free, except the deposit. If you have an autozone in tucson, try them out...

Triathlete
07/16/2003, 10:04 AM
Thanks Driver3...got an autozone 2 blocks from my house!

Rickster
07/16/2003, 10:17 AM
It's easier if you remove the shocks bottom bolts, and jack the truck up by the hitch,(if you don't have a hitch, contact Tone), the rear axle will stay on the ground. remove the springs, replace new springs, and lower the jack slowly till the shocks re-align, bolt them back, and your done.

Rickster

Triathlete
07/17/2003, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the tip Rickster:clap:
Us mechanically challenged people can useall the help we can get:smack: