PDA

View Full Version : Best wax I've found

hitnrun74
09/29/2002, 06:28 AM
A buddy of mine, who worked for Jaguar for several years, hooked me up with a bottle of wax the other day. It's called Collinite's insulator wax #845. It is the single most incredible wax I've ever used. It's made for high tension power line insulators, but it's clear coat safe. I found it online with a simple search, so it's available for online ordering. Went on really easy, buffed out by hand. The finish is incredible. The past few days of extremely hard rain didn't seem to faze it at all. It's the first wax that I've ever been really impressed with.

Yefim
09/30/2002, 08:28 AM
When I try to order it the page is all messed up. Seems like something is wrong with their shopping cart...:confused:

geshaw30
10/01/2002, 12:04 PM
On line seemed to work for me...just ordered a bottle. Hey hitnrun, how long has your friend been putting it on a Jag because I was wondering about long term effects on clear coat?? Seems the stuff was not intended for cars so just curious....
________
vapir oxygen vaporizer (http://oxygenvaporizer.com)

Anita
10/01/2002, 01:21 PM
If you check the manufacturers' site, it shows that the products are for autos as well.

Just ordered a bottle for myself.

www.Collinite.com

AnalogVX
10/01/2002, 02:57 PM
Let me know how you all like it. Every time I switch a wax and try something new, I am disappointed. I always seem to go back to the tried and true Turtle Wax liquid.

johnnyapollo
10/01/2002, 05:16 PM
Best I've used is made by the Zaino Brothers.

http://www.zainobros.com/

-- John

dyanni
10/01/2002, 05:52 PM
Ditto on the Zaino. Showcar shine takes time ... Or so the literature for this product says. Ordering process is a pain in the wazoo compared with online purchase or local auto-parts store - but I haven't beaten the shine yet.

Here is my VX after one coat of Z2 and gloss enhancer ...

:cool:

http://www.myvx.com/images/zaino1.jpg

hitnrun74
10/01/2002, 07:26 PM
I am not sure how long he worked for Jaguar, but that was all they used at the shop. No damage to clear coat according to Tom. He says he's used it on every car he's owned for the past 15 years with no clear coat issues. I think the finish is competitive with everything else I've seen. I know when I used it on my proton it looked like a new car again, and that is something the few other products I tried couldn't seem to acheive. My girlfriend just did her '02 Frontier and it looks fantastic too (she's a little fanatical about her new truck). It really made the dark green seem to glow. What impressed me the most is how the metal "feels" when you're done. Most wax products i have experience with leave this odd little build-up that you can feel. Collinite's makes the metal feel smooth. After application the finish has like no resistance. It's pretty cool. I've never tried zaino so I don't know how the two compete, but let me tell ya, I'll never use Zymol again.

dyanni
10/02/2002, 02:11 AM
Similar effect sounds like. I will order a bottle to try. Zaino goes on in "layers" to build up multiple "glow" planes - where light enters and then some of the rays bounce around inside the layers while other rays are reflected back (I'm paraphrasing the Zaino Bro). After a good claybar bath and a couple coats of Zaino - you do get that slicker than slick feel. The insulator wax costs much less - and I am all for that. Major diff between the two appears to be that Zaino contains NO wax. Check out the link Johnny entered above.

Anita
10/09/2002, 02:54 PM
Just got my bottle of Collinite 845. Will try it this weekend.

geshaw30
10/09/2002, 06:04 PM
Got my bottle in the mail today too...will advise
________
Coach Purses (http://icoachhandbags.com/)

Tone
10/09/2002, 07:52 PM
I’ll let you test it on mine Sat.....

Anita
10/12/2002, 10:32 AM
Used the wax yesterday. Very easy on and off. Beautiful shine.

Better application and shine than my Zymol or Carbasol Fast Wax gave.

No static too. My VX really glows now... the wax is a winner. We shall see how it holds up with time.

:dance:

VX Monster
10/12/2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by EyeWitness
Received mine yesterday, and had to use it right away.

t is not a cleaner /wax. The shine and ease-of-application are great. When I washed my hands, the water beaded up. Weird.

Sounds like it's a silicone; silicone will do that with your hands (it wears off).

Like everyone else said, it'll be interesting to see how this holds up, especially against Zaino.

Anyone care to do half their VX in one, half in the other, and then we'll know?

geshaw30
10/12/2002, 04:52 PM
Same here. Great results. Little pricey for a pint bottle but haven't used anything that equals the shine.
________
Cm91 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CM91)

hitnrun74
10/12/2002, 10:29 PM
Happy to report that after two weeks (and some pretty darn heavy rain) my vx still looks great and feels as smooth as polished glass. I was really careful when I applied my wax, but I touched up a spot I missed on the tail gate a couple days ago. Just another impressive thing to note, where I got collinite's on my cladding, it didn't turn white and it wiped right off.:D

- s a i n t -
11/30/2002, 08:10 PM
I've actually ordered and received this fine product. However, I forgot to bookmark the site where I ordered it from. Does anyone have that information?

Thanks in advance,
- s a i n t -

Anita
12/02/2002, 01:22 PM
http://www.cgedwards.com/Marinestore/collinite.html

After several rainstorms, a 500 mile trip to Arizona and back, my VX looks absolutely sparkling. This wax is amazing!!

I use it and the Turtle Wax 2000 spray on the cladding. The two products work extremely well with each other. If one products gets mix with the other, it wipes out cleanly and easily.

I've used Zymol, Fastwax, Turtle Wax and Meguires...

IMHO.. Collinite is best hands down.

edyavno
12/02/2002, 10:15 PM
Great, looks like what I need, just ordered a couple of bottles. I don't have a garage; my VX is parked at a guarded parking lot near my house, so I need something durable. To my shame, I've been negleting the paint care, mostly because of my ignorance: that's my first brand new car. Well, it's only been a little over 3 months since I bought it, so I don't think there's been any damage to the paint, and I promise I'll be waxing my baby often from now on.

Anita
12/03/2002, 11:48 AM
Oooooooo, shame on you!

We will have to keeps tabs on you and your caring for the VX. I think monthly progress reports are in order.

:naughty:

Triathlete
12/03/2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by edyavno
Well, it's only been a little over 3 months since I bought it, so I don't think there's been any damage to the paint, and I promise I'll be waxing my baby often from now on.

3 months...I go that long without washing mine! LOL;eekr;

Anita
12/12/2002, 10:49 AM
Billy,

Time for a wash!

... and wax

Triathlete
12/12/2002, 11:23 AM
Washed last week...water still beads nicely...no wax!;Dr;

Moncha
12/14/2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Triathlete
3 months...I go that long without washing mine! LOL;eekr;

I'm lucky if I go three days without washing mine.... Ok, so I'm a little obsessed still. :right:

Ldub
06/29/2008, 03:00 PM
I stumbled upon this thread while perusing the forums this morning & thought this stuff might be worth a try.
Then, while browsing around Harbor Freight this afternoon, I found the 845 insulator wax (liquid), & 476S Super Doublecoat Wax (paste) on the shelf for about $13.75 ea.

So, if you've ever wanted to try this stuff, & have a Harbor Freight in your area...

If I can muster up some ambition this afternoon, I might give Suzy a bath & buff & let you know how it went...:smilewink

Anita
06/29/2008, 05:08 PM
Insulator Wax is the best!!!!

Ldub
06/29/2008, 05:59 PM
Man!, it's kinda hot & sticky out there...I'd better re-hydrate with some pomagranate flavored wodka & mango mystery juice...:rotate:..:naughty:.:cool:

I think you're right Anita, the 845 insulator wax goes on fast, easy, & smoove...also easy to buff off. Also, it's more "cladding friendly".
Leaves a nice shine & smooth to the touch finish...:thumbup:

The 476S paste, as would be expected, requires more elbow grease to apply & buff off...:sighwgray
I couldn't tell any difference in appearance or smoothness to the touch.

Now we'll see which lasts longer, I did the left side with...

with...ummmmmm..:sighwgray...oh crap, maybe next time.:smilewink

So-CalVX
06/29/2008, 09:09 PM
Harbor freight huh... I think I have one of those near by... And if I dont, I know there's one in Camarillo. I'll have to go invest in some of this wax.

BTW... This post is pretty old. LOL

Anita
06/29/2008, 09:47 PM
Harbor freight huh... I think I have one of those near by... And if I dont, I know there's one in Camarillo. I'll have to go invest in some of this wax.

Heh heh... some of us are downright ancient :bwgr:

Ldub
06/29/2008, 09:54 PM

REZZUH-RECKSHUN !!!! :dance:

Heh heh... some of us are downright ancient :bwgr:

Seasoned...maybe, aged like fine wine...mmmmmmyeah...thas it! :dance:

So-CalVX
06/29/2008, 10:32 PM
so when did this site actually become active? (As if I haven't already jacked this thread to far off the original topic) :-)

Ldub
06/29/2008, 10:36 PM
so when did this site actually become active? (As if I haven't already jacked this thread to far off the original topic) :-)

Nobody knows, except for Scott, Anita, & Tone....& a few others.

It was in the "long ago" time...:rolleyesg

Ldub
06/30/2008, 06:57 AM

If it's very far away, you should call first.
I've found that the product selection from store to store, can vary significantly.

Anita
06/30/2008, 08:24 AM

June 1, 2002 was the starting date of Scott's website. Before that, we were all on vmag.com (no longer working), and before that we were for a brief time on edmunds.com (1999)

Good to see you back on the site, Adam (Dallas4U).

johnnyapollo
06/30/2008, 08:37 AM
It's too bad the ClubVMag VX forum is gone - there were some good threads and photo essays on there.

-- John

Dallas4u
06/30/2008, 09:42 AM
Ahhh... vmag. Those were the days!!! :p

SYNTHETICDARKNESS
08/23/2008, 07:29 PM
sorry if this was said all ready, but i use ice wax, can be put on in sunlight, and on anything, also i use it inside my vx, nice if kids spill something, and doesn't leave it greasy, but still shinny. as for my cladding shinny black and last maybe 4-7 months before you have to put it on again, but so easy, goes on clear, and has that wet look for awhile, but i would try anything to see what is better and easier, don't like that ice only last that long, but with the results i'm pretty happy, especially since i can do the cladding and not sweat taking it off or worry about it turning sorta white.

johnnyapollo
08/23/2008, 09:55 PM
I saw bottles and tins of Collinite's insulator wax at Harbor Freight today.

-- John

geshaw30
08/24/2008, 07:27 AM
Yup. Pretty sure we reviewed the merits of Insulator Wax back in the day on Vmag. That is we discussed it when the site was actually up & running. There were performance issues to say the least.

Ldub
08/27/2008, 07:54 PM
I saw bottles and tins of Collinite's insulator wax at Harbor Freight today.

-- John

Been using it for a couple of months now, & prefer the liquid by far.
As an experiment, I waxed the half moon with no haze at all...:thumbup:
So far, the longest lasting wax I've ever used.
Anyone wanna buy a 2/3 full bottle of ice???:smilewink

Anita
08/27/2008, 09:09 PM
Larry, my dear, you have made a good choice. I need to buy another bottle of it soon - such great stuff. :rolleyes:;):p

Ldub
08/27/2008, 10:11 PM
Larry, my dear, you have made a good choice. I need to buy another bottle of it soon - such great stuff. :rolleyes:;):p

Why thank you Ms Anita, You sure you wouldn't like a nice 2/3 full bottle of ice instead?:naughty:

Anita
08/28/2008, 08:47 AM
Nah... but I will take a gin n tonic with 2/3 ice in a glass...with lime, please

Mark B
08/28/2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks Anita. I am getting ready to wax the VX again and I will try the stuff.

Ldub
08/28/2008, 03:06 PM
Nah... but I will take a gin n tonic with 2/3 ice in a glass...with lime, please

I'll put that on my list of things to do...

Next time I see Anita, make sure to get her a G&T, 2/3 ice...wedge or twist?:smilewink

Anita
08/28/2008, 04:32 PM
I'll put that on my list of things to do...

Next time I see Anita, make sure to get her a G&T, 2/3 ice...wedge or twist?:smilewink

I like to be wedged, please.:bwgr:

Mark, you wont be sorry trying the wax. Let us know how you like it.

WormGod
08/29/2008, 07:34 AM
I just did a full detail on the VX a couple weeks ago. I took a couple hours every night in the garage during the week to do a bit at a time.

Used a few products from Zymol.

http://www.zymol.com/index.aspx

I have used their products for years and swear by them. VERY easy to work with and the final product is a showroom shine vehicle. This weekend, the WReX gets attention.